News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mock up time  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Mock up time
« on: October 12, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »
I've been using the Legacy 40 wing for most of my builds for a few years now not knowing it was based on Bob Hunts Genesis 35, when Bob told me this well I had to order a set of cores. Power is a E-Flite 15 11X5.5, Fiorotti active timer,(if Russell ever gets back to me...Just ribbing ya. lol) ICE 50 esc, so far weight  with battery esc and another timer is 39 oz.  y1 #^

Edit:  I'm not overly crazy about the landing gear, I fly off of grass  so I opted for  fuse mounted gear, but if I build another one the gear will be in the wing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 09:42:47 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mock up time
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »
You many want to sheet the flaps with hard 1/32" or 3/4oz. fiberglass cloth to make them stiff.

Best,   DennisT

John A Miller

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:03:02 PM »
Just a minor note of correction, and a little Stunt History.

I drew the plans for the Legacy. It was an challenging task, that some may find interesting. It was about the turn of the century. John Brodak called and asked me to help Allen Brickhaus design a replacement for his Buccaneer. It had been produced by a kit maker in Texas for a number of years. This company had recently dropped Control line models from their lineup, opting to produce only RC kits. When Allen asked for the rights to the design back, since they were not producing it any longer, they refused. That's when he and John B. determined to create a new design replacement. Since I live in Utah, and my friend, Allen lived in Illinois, this project was totally accomplished over several (many) calls over the telephone,. I can tell you that the airfoil used is an NACA 0018 4 digit foil, used in Compufoil's program and using Allen's numbers for Span, Chords, and Areas for wing and flaps etc.

After the design work was finished, Allen built the prototype and the files were sent to Brodak to begin manufacturing,  Allen contacted me and asked if I would send the files to Watt Moore as he wanted to reduce them and make a 40 sized version, so I sent the files off at his request.

Since the larger, and smaller Legacy versions  come from the same CAD file, They both use the same airfoil, and are proportionate in their numbers. Bob may have used the same numbers, or perhaps Allen may have, but then that wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened, either purposely, or accidentally. In any case, it's good to see Allen's-Bob's Wing being used and enjoyed. It's a good  wing and would be great for original, and many other stunt designs. Look at the time that could be saved by ordering a Legacy, or Legacy 40 wing kit? Yes, and the rest is stunt history.

BTW, That's a nice looking Genesis, but I'm looking forward to the wing mounted gear version.  y1

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »
When Allen was designing the Buccaneer and the Legacy series he called me and asked if he could use the same wing/airfoils that I had used in the Genesis 40 and in the Genesis 46MkIII. I told him to go for it, and as far as I know - and considering Allen's thanks afterwards - he used those wings in his two design series. Not wanting to start a debate here; just stating the facts about Allen's request and my subsequent discussions with him.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 05:34:25 PM »
   I like to know the history of any model design. Many years ago, Allen gave me a set of plans for the Legacy .40 that he said Watt Moore drew up. My son Sean was getting ready for moving up to larger models at that time, and Sean may have been ten or twelve years old at the time. He's pushing 40 now so that could have been 30 years or so ago, give or take a few. I thought then when I first looked at the plans, that it was huge! And was surprised that it was for only a .40!  Since then I have acquired and flown the daylights out of a scratch built Legacy .40 that was built by the late Ken Nash of Joplin, MO and it sports a foam wing and is powered by an OS LA.46. The model is a bit porkish at 60+ ounces but does fly well and did so with a stock LA.46 and has been upgraded with a Garner ABC P&L set and head. I plan on building a new one from the Brodak kit I have stashed and see if I can get one closer to 50 ounces and again use a LA.46 or maybe even a ST.51 if it comes out heavier. Either way I'm sure I'll like it after flying the one I have. I'll have to pull the Watt Moore and revisit it and see what it has for info. Until this thread I had no idea there was any connection to the Genesis.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:28 PM »
When Allen was designing the Buccaneer and the Legacy series he called me and asked if he could use the same wing/airfoils that I had used in the Genesis 40 and in the Genesis 46MkIII. I told him to go for it, and as far as I know - and considering Allen's thanks afterwards - he used those wings in his two design series. Not wanting to start a debate here; just stating the facts about Allen's request and my subsequent discussions with him.

Later - Bob Hunt
Bob,
I remember Allen telling me that the Buccaneer 740 wing was based on your Genesis.t flew well considering my skill level at the time.

James
AMA 491167

John A Miller

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 06:40:00 PM »

Later - Bob Hunt

Hi Bob, I'm not trying to start a debate either, Just relating what I knew, and a little history about the designing of the Legacy. Now that more information is out there, It all comes together better for me now.

John

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies, I enjoy the history as well and may put some diagonal trusses in the flaps, that should do it.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here