News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Miter Box  (Read 749 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Miter Box
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:07:27 AM »
I want to buy a small miterbox that uses a Zona type saw.  There are several on the market with a broad spread in price.  Some are plastic, some are wood and some are aluminum.

One type has a stationary blade guide and an adjustable fence.  Most others have slots for the blade at the most popular angles. 

Any recommendations?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
Re: Miter Box
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »
I bought one from Micromark I believe. I have had it for a long time. It is called a Miter-Rite and uses es the Zona type saw. It has a protractor type of angle adjuster at the top an seem to be fairly stable for cutting sticks and narrow width balsa. It works well if you stick frame or build stick and tissue models. Not so good on wider pieces.
Don

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
Dick.

I too have a Micromark unit, also have one of the X-acto brand aluminium miters. The best mod for both of these units is to set them up to use a Japanese Flush Cut Saw, part number 39273. This saw is made in Japan and is very high quality. Being a "pullsaw" it will give you a fine and smooth cut.

Dave.
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
Good info on miter box.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:38:05 AM »
Dick.

I too have a Micromark unit, also have one of the X-acto brand aluminium miters. The best mod for both of these units is to set them up to use a Japanese Flush Cut Saw, part number 39273. This saw is made in Japan and is very high quality. Being a "pullsaw" it will give you a fine and smooth cut.

Dave.

Dave,

The aluminum miter box shows up on their web site, but I could get no hit for either the part number or the description "Japanese Flush Cut Saw, part number 39273".   The do have a Zona Flush Cutting Saw, but I suspect that the "Japanese Flush Cut Saw" is different, and not available.

Is your saw much different than the Zona?

TIA

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
Warren.

Sorry to hear you're not finding anything on the saw.  Yes, you could possible use a "Zona Saw". The saw shown in the photo is about 8 to 10 years old, still very sharp and is approx. 021" thick

Try Lee Valley Tools they are in many cities in Canada, great quality tools.  Good luck with you search.

Dave.
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here