News:

• June 03, 2024, 08:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Millville, NJ, July 1950  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Millville, NJ, July 1950
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
Anyone out there (other than then-5-year-old Bob Hunt) who was at the AAA CL & FF meet at the Millville Airport in July 1950?

If so, would like to hear from you.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Millville, NJ, July 1950
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
Read the location wrong so I removed my comments
Ed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:15:53 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »
I was there. Since we lived in Vineland (bordering on Millville), my Father took me to just about every contest from 1950 up to 1953.
They flew a lot of speed and free flight but I don't remember too much stunt.

They even had combat, mostly Ringmasters with Fox 35s and they flew over the concrete pad!
They also had a Quonset hut where they flew 1/2A and A speed inside.

Bob Z.

Offline bill mazzoni

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
I flew at Millville Airport from 1950 to the mid 60's. Belonged to the Garden State Aeronauts which met in Vineland N.J.
I have a copy of the FLY PAPER with the results of the 1954 contest. The Quonset Hut is still there, used to park my Cherokee and Aztec in the hanger. Our club flew next to the hanger.
We started a new club a couple of years ago. CUMBERLAND CONTROL LINERS and have our meetings every 2nd tuesday of the month at the airport.
Our flying sight is about 1 mile before Millville Airport. (Millville Airport was the training sight for the P-47) Flying sight Rob Shannon Reccreation Complex, Cedar St. Millville N.J.
We also have classes for the kids on building model airplanes and flying them.
Sunday July 1st we are planning a get together at our flying sight. Anyone interested stop on over. Philly Flyers will be there to fly with us.
Will post a definate date.
Bill Mazzoni

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
Although I was only 10 at the time, I remember spending most of the day running up-and-down the runway in a cut-down open top red jeep driven by a guy named 'Andy' (the CD?) chasing Free Flights.  Myself and another kid had been flown to Millville from Medford Lakes because we'd won prizes in a kids' solid scale model contest.  It was my first exposure to powered models.
In the afternoon we were awed by the "Beauty" (CL Scale) event.  Main memories are of an F2G Corsair Thompson Trophy racer, a couple of then-new Sterling SE-5s and Wacos, a gorgeous Stinson Station Wagon (Cleveland kit?) and a tiny Speedee-Bilt Long Midget (metallic blue) with a K&B .020 -- which everyone treated as a joke.
The only "stunting" I recall seeing was the attempt by the Sterling designs to fly loops....which ended in disaster.
We flew back to Medford Lakes in late afternoon....and things just haven't been the same since.
That trip, by the way, was in a Stinson Voyager owned by Everett N. Angus, AMA President 1948.  It was only recently that I learned that Mr. Angus was Jim Vornholt's grandfather.
Small world!

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »
Hello Guys,

I was there with by father. I was eleven. Don't recall much of it. I always liked watching the freeflights with there colorful see thru wing coverings. They where nice to see in the sky. If they had Team Racing that would explain why we where there. We did not fly Team Race yet but my father was looking into it.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline bill mazzoni

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Mike the Andy you make referance to I believe was Andy Canino, We met at his house in Vineland down in his basement workshop.
Team Race was very popular at Millville. George Moir was the one to beat.  We did alot of Rat Racing in the early 60s. Then came along the 1oz & 2oz Good Year. George Hubschmidt would bring his truck full of goodies to sell.
Great Memories
Bill Mazzoni

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
Bill:  yep, that's the guy...Andy Canino.  I'd temporarily forgotten his last name.  (Heck, it's been only 62 years, ha-ha.)  He really gave us the grand tour that day.

As for George Moir, knew him rather well.  He often practiced with that orange 'Rambler IV' at our club field, Wallworth Park near Haddonfield.  In fact a few years later ('53? '54?) I sometimes launched for him.  (Ahhh...that 'shoe polish' fuel smell!)  We (the 'we' being the members of the 'Hi-Way Glo Bugs') were thrilled when he won B-T/R at the '54 Nats.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
My first solo cross country was into Millville from Princeton.  My Dad was 10 years old in 1950 and lived not too far away, I'll ask him if he was at the contest...
Steve

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
I asked my grandfather this tonight and he said he remembers being at contests in Millville, but doesn't remember any specific one.  He grew up on the airport property since his dad was in the armed forces.  He recalls seeing some extremely beautiful and well done free flight ships, and the stunt area as well.

He also said he remembered reading that Bob Hunt may have been at those meets back then.
Matt Colan

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »
George Moir was the one who got us started in Team racing. My brother and I pitted and dad flew. First ship was a Berkeley Key by Keith Storey. It was soon passed on and then came the Quest another Storey design. It flew well and was fast in flight with a Forester 29 and our own blend of fuel. We entered a contest in Baltimore but alas every landing the aluminum gear flexed and broke off the glow plug. We had to change the glow plug every time. We  where (dad) good friends with George and my Dad worked in a lab in Dupont. Thus some pretty smart chemist worked out some fuel additives. Nitro Benzene was used by us and George thus the shoe polish odor. It was sweet and I have often thought of getting some to add to the fuel just for the great smell. Nice to see George Hibscmids name here on Stunthanger. He was a good friend.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here