News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy 35 Silver Top (head)  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Just completed this PDK Buster 45
McCoy 35 Silver Top (head)
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »
Can anyone tell me about the silver top McCoy 35s.  I am thinking of purchasing one and do not know the difference from the red tops.  this is for stunt.  

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: McCoy 35 Silver Top (head)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
I know nothing about an aluminum head McCoy 35.  I am however familiar with the McCoy '36' engine.  That engine has an aluminum head with an offset plug, offset from the center, not canted.  It is not a .36 as the displacement is less than the Fox .35.  It's plain bearing, stintered iron piston in an iron sleeve.  The crank is small and will not take any real abuse.  I used one in the '50s on an ABC Trainer, Ringmasters, Firecats, Half Fasts and tried to fly it on a Thunderbird.  It is much less powerful than a Fox .35.  But it will fly most of the planes we flew in the '50s.  also flew it on a Lion Tamer.  Yea, I'm the guy who bought one.  I couldn't get enough power out of it trying to get a 4-2-4 break but you might.  The difference between today's kits compared to what we had in the '50s is probably a pound.  I do have the McCoy on an ABC Trainer clone and it flies ok, if a bit fast.
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
I just reread your post and looked at your stats.  If you are a new pilot and not just new to Stunt Hangar I would advise you to keep with profile planes with around 42'' wingspan.  These will stunt well with the '36.  Brodak makes many planes that fit this description.  And, Welcome to Stunt Hangar
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »
I am looking to possibly purchase a McCoy 35 on ebay.  It looks just like the red head but the head is plain silver color.  I wonder if someone removed the paint at one point.  The price seems good but I have never seen one without the red head.  The pic of the engine definitely says 35 not 36. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
Almost certainly, somebody just removed red paint from head via anti-freeze/crockpot cleaning. I'd look for an engine that would last longer. K&B, Fox, Veco, Enya, and OS come to mind. One of the problems with old engines is adding a muffler that works and yet, doesn't come off.   

Welcome to Stunthanger!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Welcome Phil, and I agree with Steve that it's most likely a Red Head with no paint.
A pic would help, to know for sure.
Also, Robert's advice of 42" span is worth heeding.
I'll add that my own recent eBay .35 RH purchase, after a little rebuild, runs as well as my old Fox .35s.
However, if you're looking at one thats missing the needle and spray bar, or the prop driver/washer/nut, as they often are, replacing those should be factored into a "good" price.
It's easy for a $20 bargain to end up costing nearer $60.
Don't ask me how I know.  HB~>

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »
Here is the one I am looking at. Just noticed that he seems to have the needle valve mounted wrong, with the needle on the same side as the exhaust.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/321763975209?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
Phil, that's a 1958 or later RH; appears to have been cleaned very well and the headscrews have been replaced w/allenheads (a good thing).
The NVA and backplate are both in wrong; easy fixes though.
Should you buy it and find it low on compression (likely) a search for "growing a piston" can give you a possible "save" - worked on mine.
Good luck.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »
One other caution Phil - since those 2 things are installed incorrectly, if it's been crock-potted it's possible it was taken apart and the piston also reinstalled incorrectly.
If you're not aware, the baffle on the piston top should be opposite the exhaust stack.
If you get it and have probs/questions, plenty of folks here'll be glad to help you sort it out.

FWIW, the RH, with 3 cylinder bolts, can't be reassembled with the cylinder itself installed incorrectly and still turn over.
It can be set in place 120 deg out but if you bolted it up and tried to turn it over, the baffle on the piston would hit the head (since the piston can be only correct or 180 out, not a matching 120).
The cylinder on this one is ok.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:26:51 PM by Terry Caron »
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
The NVA is installed in that direction as it comes new. Everyone turns it around to fly it.

George Hostler

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »
Here is the one I am looking at. Just noticed that he seems to have the needle valve mounted wrong, with the needle on the same side as the exhaust. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321763975209

Phil, it's a rare aluminum head one, I have one of those also, one of the last with a remote needle.  LL~

Actually, I'm pulling your leg. Someone did clean up that one, but could have done it better. There is still cooked Castor on the head and fins. Most respray head with Duplicolor Ford Red engine paint, someone else mentioned another engine paint that works but can't remember the brand. I left mine plain for better cooling. Remote needle is an Evolution .40/.46 one, fits back cover bolt pattern perfectly.

The backplate is mounted wrong on that one, dimpled side forms part of the fuel/air mixture bypass transfer port on the left side of the engine. Others are correct, check the piston orientation to insure that the baffle top is away from the exhaust. Head is shown mounted correctly. Plug is offset toward the exhaust. Also they use a nylon crank throw spacer that fits in the hollow of the crankshaft crank pin. That is an item that breaks down with time or damaged sometimes by electric starting. Chellie Romo AKA E-Bay seller verysassyblond has gasket kits with crank throw spacer available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCOY-35-RH-BH-OverHaul-Kit-and-Rebuilding-Information-/141694467102

Personally I like the McCoys. They do a nice 4-cycle to 2 break entering stunts, returning to 4 after. Piston metallurgy is of a softer iron, but if one uses at least 25% oil with a good bit Castor and avoid lean runs should have a motor that lasts reasonably long.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
When I checked the listing it was marked sold.  So is Robert the winner?  As George says , the McCoy redhead .35 is a great engine if treated properly.  I had the first $10.00 McCoy 35 Redhead in the KC area.  Literally wore it out flying it in a Nobler after breaking in on Guillows Rat Racer.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Appreciate all the knowledgeable help.  Thanks.   Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here