News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making photos larger on the forum  (Read 3665 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Making photos larger on the forum
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
I have  noticed that some of the photos that are posted on this forum get larger when you click on them.  How are you guys doing that.  When I reduce mine to the size they have to be to be posted, they remain pretty much the same size or only slightly larger when you click on them.  The latest one I can point to is Ty's posted pictures of his Bi Slob.   How do you guys get these pictures to blow up like that when you click on them?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Making photos larger on the forum
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
Yours get bigger when I click on them, as an example of your B.R. pictures.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
Mike,

I think it might be the browser. If the image is small enough to display entirely, it does so. Otherwise it reduces to a size it can display, and if you click on it, it enlarges to full size.

And maybe the browser doesn't really "know" how big your display actually is.

(Now, watch some HTML jock show me what a monkey I am on this subject..)

L.

"The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts." -Paul Ehrlich
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:01:47 AM »
If I noticed right your photos are less than 50mb.   That is the reason there are so many you can post.  Most are around the 200mb size.   And yes most get larger when you click on them.  On yours I am glad I have the zoom tool on the computor as I enlare them to 200%.  Much bigger and they get fuzzy.  By the way thanks for the photos.   Some beautiful aircraft are shown. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »
It is not something I do: it is forum functionality. There's two ways to put a picture in a post.

In your electric "SAKITUMI" proto thread, for example, your photos are linked from elsewhere. I think the usual thing is that linked photos appear as they are, and stay that way. Then you can also display lots of photos in one post.

Most people probably "attach" photos straight at Stunthanger. Then the photos appear as thumbnails that must be clicked to see them full size. Stunthanger has fairly generous photo size limits but if the files are large, only a small number per post is accepted.

I'm not sure what determines if the attached photos appear in the post itself or in a new window. I assume it depends on photo size. (I'm usually on Internet Exploder 8 browser)
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
PerttiMe pretty much summed it up, but I'll reiterate one point:

You don't have to do anything to make your pictures get smaller when you post them -- the forum does that for you.  When someone clicks on the thumbnail picture provided by the forum, it gets expanded back to its original size.  So whatever size it is when you're viewing it at "100%" on your local picture editor software, that's the size it should be after you post it and look at it here.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Guys I dont have a clue as to how it works.  I have an Apple I MAC and I reduce the photos down to around 50 kb cause I think any bigger than 50 it will not take them ... right?  I don't understand all I know about this kind of stuff but I wish I could get my pictures bigger when I post them... the SAKITUME was Walter's post not mine but I did not notice if he had linked it from somewhere else....

Thanks for the input

Mike

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
I reduce the photos down to around 50 kb cause I think any bigger than 50 it will not take them ... right?  
Wrong. I think Stuka Stunt may have that limit.

Here it says: max 1,000 kb or 20 photos per post. Ive recently posted a 500kb photo but there's room for only one picture that is THAT big in one post. Or, at least my post was refused when I went over 1000 kb.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
Guys I dont have a clue as to how it works.  I have an Apple I MAC and I reduce the photos down to around 50 kb cause I think any bigger than 50 it will not take them ... right?  I don't understand all I know about this kind of stuff but I wish I could get my pictures bigger when I post them... the SAKITUME was Walter's post not mine but I did not notice if he had linked it from somewhere else....

Thanks for the input

Mike

If you have a Mac you want GraphicConvertor, but there are probably other programs to do the same thing. GraphicConvertor is still a "killer app" and we keep a Mac even at work primarily just to run it.

What you need to do is set the resolution to some lower bit pitch (I usually use 72 DPI for web postings), and then set the size to something like 11" on the longest dimension and let it scale the other dimension proportionally. Then when you save it as a jpg, set the "reduce quality to hit a particular size" (like 200 kb), and save. The 50K limit is for SSW, here its larger.

If you just save it like it comes out of the camera it will likely be something like 300dpi, and when you scale it to a 105 dpi screen resolution, it comes out tiny.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
With my lesser image manipulation program I just scale the image to 600 pixels wide (unless it's really tall and skinny) and choose a medium-high jpg compression quality ("66" on GIMP, but I wouldn't assume that it's the same from program to program).

That gives me pictures that get the point across, yet are still usually smaller than 50kB.

Don't ask about ease of use -- GIMP is one of those programs that lets you do anything, if only you could figure out how to open it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
With my lesser image manipulation program I just scale the image to 600 pixels wide (unless it's really tall and skinny) and choose a medium-high jpg compression quality ("66" on GIMP, but I wouldn't assume that it's the same from program to program).

That gives me pictures that get the point across, yet are still usually smaller than 50kB.

Don't ask about ease of use -- GIMP is one of those programs that lets you do anything, if only you could figure out how to open it.

GIMP is just about impossible. It's designed by uber-nerds for uber-nerds. I am a significant nerd and it's still to painful to use even for me. It's a perfect example of what is wrong with open source and the open-source community.

Brett

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
I believe it was Randy Powell who turned me onto Irfanview. I have found that it is the easiest program I've used to do what is needed to post pictures, or reduce the size. dead simple, and does a great job.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
    GIMP is just about impossible. It's designed by uber-nerds for uber-nerds. I am a significant nerd and it's still to painful to use even for me. It's a perfect example of what is wrong with open source and the open-source community.
There are open-source image manipulation programs these days that have solved the ease of use problem.

I actually find GIMP pretty easy to use for simple cropping and scaling.  That could mean that I really am an uber nerd, it could mean that you haven't used it lately and someone actually listened about ease of use (I've only been using it for a year or two), or it could mean that you never stumbled on the right combination for easy cropping and scaling and that for just those two things it isn't bad.

And I can do cool things with it:, like going from this to the included picture

AMA 64232

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
I also recommend Irfanview for ease of use and general capabilities. Be sure you get its RIOT plugin if you want to reduce the file size of your photos. And play with the program a little. It has a great thumbnails generator whose hover function provides all sorts of information for each file, and it efficiently can store and move or otherwise process blocks of files.

Amazing what is out there for free.

L.

"The rain it raineth on the just and also on the unjust fella:
But chiefly on the just, because the unjust steals the just's
umbrella." -Lord Bowen

AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Mike Griffin

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
Thank you all...the main thing I was wrong on was the 50 KB limit. I thought both forums had that but I was wrong.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Mike

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
I also recommend Irfanview for ease of use and general capabilities. Be sure you get its RIOT plugin if you want to reduce the file size of your photos.

Not for a Mac.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
I have no clue about Apple computers, but I do know there is a version of IrfanView for Macs, and it's free. For a PC, it's not even a very large file, and a quick download from TuCows (Google it). Under 1000 kb, from memory.

Oh, Doc was almost right, but got the units wrong...kb, not mb. I don't know the relationship, but do know the kb is smaller, like maybe 1/1000 or so. Probably some sort of French measurement unit.

My opinion is that the problem most have is that they only resize the photo small enough to post,... when they should be resizing and then compressing the photo. Go for 600 to 800 pixels wide, unless the picture is shot in "portrait" format, then about 450 or 500. IrfanView gives options for width, and I always use one of those, then start with about 80% compression, and see how big it comes out. Then, a little fine tuning does it. I'm pretty sure you can set it for something else, but I don't. Always "maintain aspect ratio" (we know what that is, right?).

Remember that you'll need to change the file (photo) name when you save it, or you will lose the original. You don't want to do that. I give the photo a title that makes sense, and then each reduced version gets %, %%, %%%, etc., added to each, until I reach the final version. To me, the logical sequence is name, crop, resize, and compress, so the final version will be something like "P-47_Storick_PA75%%%.jpg". Once I'm done with the process, I will delete all except the %%% version, and then I'll change it to  "P-47_Storick_PA75%.jpg". Some might want to keep the original size, but I usually don't.  

There is a pretty thorough thread on posting pictures in the Administration Forum (top one), started by Rudy Taube...easiest to find if you scan the author's column.  y1 Steve
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:15:20 AM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05:40 AM »
Remember that you'll need to change the file (photo) name when you save it, or you will lose the original. You don't want to do that.
I prefer to rename (or make a copy in a different directory) before making any changes.

That increases the odds of having an untampered version at the end...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
Thanks Steve for correcting me.   My excuse is old age and inactivity catching up.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
I prefer to rename (or make a copy in a different directory) before making any changes.

That increases the odds of having an untampered version at the end...

That's what I said. The picture code what downloads from the digital camera doesn't help at all, so I name the picture, and rotate it to be correct, and save it. Then, I crop it, and add a % (if it needs cropping), and save it. Then, resize it, and save it. Finally, work the compression percentage, until it's a useful size, and save it. I usually go for under 100kb for Stunthanger, but sometimes just go for under 50kb for both forums. At each step, I add a % sign. When I'm all done, there will be three or four percentage signs, but I usually only want to save the last one, so I delete all the rest and change the final 50 to 100kb version to one % (or maybe none).

I do all this in my "Test Pictures" file, so they're EZ to find, and the file name is usually "ZZZZZZZ_Impact_Howard_Electron.jpg%%%", etc. The Z's put it at the bottom of the que in the folder, so they're easier to find. I do need to get in there and move the pictures out of "Test Pictures" to whatever file I want to save them in, such as "Family Pictures", "My Pictures", "Model Pictures", "Fish Pictures", "1:1 Scale Airplane Pictures", "Car Truck Hotrod Pictures",  etc. Some, I can't figure out where the heck they should go...  :-[ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
I have no clue about Apple computers, but I do know there is a version of IrfanView for Macs, and it's free.

If you have a Mac, you want GraphicConvertor.

Brett

Offline Lynn Weedman

• x47weed (Lynn Weedman)
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
I just use Pixresizer works good and easy to do single or multi picture resizing jobs. you can download it free. just google it.
Lynn Weedman

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
Does Pixresizer compress as well as resize? Rotate? Crop? Change colors? Blur background? Anything else?  I don't know, but I'm happy with IrfanView and don't need the frustration of trying another software.

The problem Mike and some others have is that they are resizing but not compressing the pictures.  y1 Steve

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:27 PM »
I have no clue about Apple computers, but I do know there is a version of IrfanView for Macs, and it's free.

I don't think so. The recommendation on their website is to use a Windows emulator with IrFanview, and there's no native version.

Brett

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
There are open-source image manipulation programs these days that have solved the ease of use problem.

I actually find GIMP pretty easy to use for simple cropping and scaling.  That could mean that I really am an uber nerd, it could mean that you haven't used it lately and someone actually listened about ease of use (I've only been using it for a year or two), or it could mean that you never stumbled on the right combination for easy cropping and scaling and that for just those two things it isn't bad.

And I can do cool things with it:, like going from this to the included picture

Holey Cow!
I hope them characters feel pretty....... inside! n~ n~ n~ n~ n~ n~ n~ HB~>
Pretty As You Feel Airplane
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here