News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LurePartsOnLine Scam  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
LurePartsOnLine Scam
« on: April 01, 2024, 09:08:04 PM »
   I got an email today, allegedly from LurePartsOnLine about a recent order of mine being shipped. The problem is I didn't place an order recently. This is the company that Brett Buck suggested to get those scissor type snap line connectors from at a pretty reasonable price, and I have bought from them before, but it's been a more than a year. I forwarded the email to their website without clicking on any links, which there were a bunch of them. I checked all credit cards and bank accounts and all is well there. What's funny when the email is in my "new" mail inbox, it looks normal. After opening it, then closing it and it goes to old email, the appearance of the subject line changes, and I can see what looks like Chinese characters in it. if I send it back to New Email, it goes back. Keep an eye on your stuff if you have ever ordered from them before because I think they have been hacked.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LurePartsOnLine Scam
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 11:01:05 PM »
   I got an email today, allegedly from LurePartsOnLine about a recent order of mine being shipped. The problem is I didn't place an order recently. This is the company that Brett Buck suggested to get those scissor type snap line connectors from at a pretty reasonable price, and I have bought from them before, but it's been a more than a year. I forwarded the email to their website without clicking on any links, which there were a bunch of them. I checked all credit cards and bank accounts and all is well there. What's funny when the email is in my "new" mail inbox, it looks normal. After opening it, then closing it and it goes to old email, the appearance of the subject line changes, and I can see what looks like Chinese characters in it. if I send it back to New Email, it goes back. Keep an eye on your stuff if you have ever ordered from them before because I think they have been hacked.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
That last part is weird.  I get about 10 of those a day.  If the email address looks remotely like a person, usually Gmail, I will do a reply all and cc the FBI ( they have an email address for that)

Brave new world, glad I probably won't be around when it all comes crashing down.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 10:18:38 AM »
  I forwarded the email to the company, stating my suspicions, and they just apologized for sending out the old email?? It has to me more than a year old, could be two years old. There are no dates on the email anywhere which looks strange to me. I have never gotten such an old email from any company. The recent trend in spam and phishing emails seems to be to use the familiarity approach, like a "Thank You" for doing business and such or for being a Netflix customer (which I am not.) I still think it's a scam, phishing email and sent the company another email telling them so. There is no reason for this old order to suddenly pop back up.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:41:11 AM »
It is possible that the email for the company got hacked.  All of this hacking stuff in automated so they didn't just select old orders to send out, they just send them all.  It is sort of sad.  I used to send out read receipts.  Don't anymore.  Lets the spammers know there is potentially a live person behind that address.  I read somewhere that 50% of internet traffic is bots talking to other bots.  Thank God we can retreat into our hobby and extract the last bit of sanity left, unless one of us is a bot.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:59:41 PM »
How would I know if I'm a bot?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 02:19:19 PM »
How would I know if I'm a bot?

Send yourself an email asking for an Amazon gift card, because you are your own brother and you got into a vehicular accident in a state way far from your house and now you're in jail and needing bail. If you fall for it, you old and feeble minded, not a bot!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 04:44:09 PM »
That is brilliant Steve.   Wait, are you a bot?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here