News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: local hobby shop ?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
local hobby shop ?
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
Ok, I'm in NYC and I do not see any local hobby shops. I have NO transportation. So While I have shopped online I'm trying to see what  might be my options near NYC. Long Island City to be exact.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: local hobby shop ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
Jim,
You have Big Apple Hobbies in Flushing   171-69 46th Ave, Flushing, NY 11358. http://www.bigapplehobbies.com/ Which is probably the best for CL these days. You also have 105 Hobbies off 105street and Jamaica Ave.,which is accessable off the J Train but he is primarily RC Car and Die cast models now. He has just a few CL items. I'm sure I am forgetting a few. But I would also like to let you know that as long as the weather is decent I'm sure that some of us will be out flying at Flushing Meadows tomorrow if you can find a way to get there and feel like coming by. Best bet by public transportation that I know of is the 7 train to Citi Field but its a really LOOOOOONG walk from there to the field which is off Jewel Ave and the Van Wyck. Taxi may be the best way to the field.
AMA 98010

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
Unfortunatly due to a death I won't have my brother here to relieve me and at 5:00 he is supposed to pick us up and take us to Pa for an exteended weekend. at least somebody else will do some of the mommysitting for a day or two. Once I get a chance I'll try to get my brother to leave me here and I'll travel to fmp to watch. I used to do that  by bicycle.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
There is always AHC on 22nd st. around 6th. (If they are still there) You haven't been insulted untill youve been insulted by Marshall.

And Polks Hobby on (I believe) 6th, around 32 St. Had 4-5 stories of hobby shop(S).

Not YOUR local, but both are big, and always worth the trip. (isn't everythin in nyc "local"?)

Happy hunting!

W.   H^^
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
There is always AHC on 22nd st. around 6th. (If they are still there) You haven't been insulted untill youve been insulted by Marshall.

And Polks Hobby on (I believe) 6th, around 32 St. Had 4-5 stories of hobby shop(S).

Ward, how long ago was this? Last time I was in AHC they were a block down from Penn Station, having just moved from 22nd, St. I think this was ~2003.

Also, I think Polks moved to NJ.

Of course this info may be out of date also.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:26:18 PM »
Jim, Virginia Hobbysports have been very good to me.  No, it isn't local to you but they really aren't too far as the Post Office flies.  They ship stuff clear to Oregon for me and are very good.  Check out the web site and then give them a phone call - you will get a real person.  http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
Yes George,

Way before 2003! Somewhat before the millenium, in fact!

I worked in the city for so many years I don't even remember when I retired!

W.   b1
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here