News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:33:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Life Span of a battery?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Life Span of a battery?
« on: August 01, 2022, 08:06:11 PM »
I have a battery that I purchased around 2015-16. It has not had a lot of use. It looks ok but feels just a tad puffy. How long do you keep a battery. It seems to be close to storage charge after a flight. I always put my batteries at storage charge when not in use.
Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Life Span of a battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:27 PM »
I monitor internal resistance and resting voltage after a flight. As the battery ages the internal resistance will increase and the voltage after flying will be lower (reduced capacity). Do you have a charger that measures cell resistance?

I would guess these are at or near the end of their life based on age. How well you care for your batteries plays a major role in how long they last. They can last a few months or many years.

Mike

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:32:59 PM »
They age out whether you use them or not. Keeping them in storage mode only slows the aging process. I sometimes get calls from people saying that their plane has no punch or power. First thing I as is "how old is the battery?" Typical answer, "it's new I never used it before" Next question, "When did you buy it?" Answer "5 or 6 or 7 or more years ago but I never used it so it is new". Sorry but your battery is no good , it aged out, buy a new one. Speaking of my own batteries I never keep them charged unless I am going to fly them. I put un-flown and flown batteries back in storage mode that same day. I tend to buy 6 new batteries each year, Those are my NATS batteries, It insures I will never have a battery failure at the NATS. I will fly those batteries for another year or 2 and they work fine. Then I pass them to a friend or someone who needs a few batteries. They generally get another year or 2 out of them. So if they are well taken care of, I would say 3-5 years would be the lifespan  for batteries for most flyers. If they get soft or puff I stop using them immediately. I will not risk a plane for a bad battery. This year I switched to LION packs. So far they have been great. It will take a while to figure out what a reasonable lifespan will be on those. I passed on my 2019 and 2020 packs at this years NATS to fellow competitors. I can tell you that all those packs flew at this years NATS. How much longer they will last? I don't know.
AMA 98010

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »
My chargers don’t measures cell resistance. 🥴

I don’t want to chance it. Will take it to the recycle center.
Too bad you can’t do a trade in like you can on some car parts. 🤪
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 10:13:56 AM »
Thunder Power accepts trade ins. Unfortunately your batteries don’t qualify. Their policy limits the qty, age and brand. Still better than nothing.

Mike

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
Thunder Power accepts trade ins. Unfortunately your batteries don’t qualify. Their policy limits the qty, age and brand. Still better than nothing.

Mike
Good to know. Thanks Mike!👍🏼
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here