News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leading edge sweep  (Read 23839 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Leading edge sweep
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
  I would like to know why most stunter wings have leading edge sweep and what would be the optimum amount.
                                                                                                   Juan

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Leading edge sweep
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »
I would think it gives the airplane better air/wind penetration than a barn door wing.  A side effect is that (explained to me years ago by Jack Sheeks) it effectively makes the nose moment longer.  He explained the TLE (true leading edge) was a point halfway along the length of the wing panel.  Nose moments are measured from the leading edge.  A swept leading edge puts that point further aft.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
LE sweep helps reduce changes in yaw as the model travels around the circle in wind.

I am not sure if there is an optimum amount of sweep to use.  Some noticeable sweep is probably better than little or no LE sweep.  Somewhere. there is probably a limit of how much Le sweep to use, particularly when the tip chord Reynold's Number starts to become excessively small that any improvements in adverse yaw is offset by increasing inefficiencies with the wing.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
I look at this from the standpoint of using measurements such as LE sweep to calculate aerodynamic characteristics of airplanes.  Our convention is not to use LE sweep, but to use quarter-chord sweep and taper.  It makes subsequent calculations easier, as does assuming the earth goes around the sun, rather than the other way around.  You can use LE sweep in calculating quarter chord sweep and taper.  LE sweep itself comes up in supersonic flow, but not so much in subsonic.

I would think it gives the airplane better air/wind penetration than a barn door wing.

What do you mean by that?  Drag wouldn't decrease until you start getting compressibility effects at about Mach .7.

A side effect is that (explained to me years ago by Jack Sheeks) it effectively makes the nose moment longer.  He explained the TLE (true leading edge) was a point halfway along the length of the wing panel.  Nose moments are measured from the leading edge.  A swept leading edge puts that point further aft.

"Nose moment" again.  From reading stuff written about stunt, I take it this is a distance.  I figure that the term was coined by a guy who didn't know what "moment" means, but wanted to sound authoritative.  People have used it ever since.  How does it relate to any real phenomena?  It gives some roundabout way of relating moment of inertia of an enginean engine's contribution to airplane CG, and it may be an indirect way of figuring the propeller's aerodynamic effects, which I'd like to know, but don't know how to calculate.  So now that you've calculated "nose moment", show me what you do with that number.  

LE sweep helps reduce changes in yaw as the model travels around the circle in wind.

By slowing the airplane down?  I take it you don't really mean yaw, but either sideslip or yaw relative to a line tangent to the circle at the airplane's location. In either case, so what?

Some noticeable sweep is probably better than little or no LE sweep.  

For a control line airplane without flaps that does maneuvers in the wind, my guess is that the optimal sweep (measured at the quarter chord) is very noticeable and is negative.  I first noticed this with a forward-swept combat plane Gary James gave me, and it really became obvious when I saw Slava Beliaev's airplane maneuvering upwind at the 1985 European Championships.  Look at current F2D airplanes.  I think the key ingredient is rolling moment due to sideslip.  

For airplanes with flaps, there may be some reason not to have a forward-swept flap hinge line.  There's the obvious mechanical disadvantage of a severely forward-swept hinge line, but maybe there's some aerodynamic perversion, too.  So if you're limited to not much hinge-line sweep, then quarter-chord sweep, hence LE sweep, would just be the outcome of what you pick for aspect ratio and taper.

Somewhere. there is probably a limit of how much Le sweep to use, particularly when the tip chord Reynold's Number starts to become excessively small that any improvements in adverse yaw is offset by increasing inefficiencies with the wing.

That statement requires the reader to make some guesses as to what you're assuming.  Are you using the standard definition of adverse yaw?  

corrections in red

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:36:15 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
Notes and translations to English:

I look at this from the standpoint of using measurements such as LE sweep to calculate aerodynamic characteristics of airplanes.  Our convention is not to use LE sweep, but to use quarter-chord sweep and taper.  It makes subsequent calculations easier, as does assuming the earth goes around the sun, rather than the other way around.  You can use LE sweep in calculating quarter chord and taper.  LE sweep itself comes up in supersonic flow, but not so much in subsonic.

Translation: "What?  Who cares?"  Or, perhaps, "leading edge sweep is not the metric that you care about here".

Aerodynamicists talk about "sweep", meaning the sweep at the quarter-chord point, and "taper", meaning, well, taper.  Where a modeller says "leading edge sweep but no trailing edge sweep" an aerodynamics guy will tend to say "taper and sweep", perhaps "taper and sweep so the trailing edge is straight".

What do you mean by that?  Drag wouldn't decrease until you start getting compressibility effects at about Mach .7.

"Nose moment" again.  From reading stuff written about stunt, I take it this is a distance.  I figure that the term was coined by a guy who didn't know what "moment" means, but wanted to sound authoritative.  People have used it ever since.  How does it relate to any real phenomena?  It gives some roundabout way of relating moment of inertia of an engine, and it may be an indirect way of figuring the propeller's aerodynamic effects, which I'd like to know, but don't know how to calculate.  So now that you've calculated "nose moment", show me what you do with that number.

In any field of scientific endeavour that has to do with physics, a "moment" is a fancy way of saying "torque", unless you're talking about "moment of inertia", which does sorta relate back to torques and distances.  Torque has dimensions of distance times force; talking about a "moment" as something that has distance only is as meaningful to a physicist as saying "my cup is three inches high" without saying how big around it is (about as irritating, too).

I'm slightly more charitable than Howard.  I suspect that "moment" came from "moment arm", which does have meaning in physics and engineering, and is measured in inches (or meters).  However, a meaningful engine-to-wing moment arm would be measured from the center of gravity of the engine to the aerodynamic center of the wing -- and the leading edge is a good long way from the aerodynamic center.

(balanced snipped)

So, Howard -- you've made statements about wing sweep and performance in the wind.  Are you inclined to say what you think does work well in the wind, in your terms?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
A true tapered planform (both LE/TE) will keep the highpoint of the airfoil parallel with the spar.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
A true tapered planform (both LE/TE) will keep the highpoint of the airfoil parallel with the spar.

I am not sure what you are talking about here. Tapered means tapered, the tip chord is smaller than the root chord, nothing more as far as I know. Swept or not swept is as mentioned above, whether the 1/4 chord point (and by implication - the CP) is either straight or swept. Any combination of those is possible.

Most full stunt planes have tapered wings and some sweep. Mostly, this keeps the wing looking about right and in many cases you want to keep the flap hinge line straight for mechanical and trim reasons.  The sweep probably helps generate some yaw stability and does cause some dihedral effect (although not much), but I expect it comes out that way because with an appealing taper, flaps = 20% of the chord, and a straight hinge line, it just winds up that way. If you don't want sweep, you probably end up with the hinge line swept forward.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the translation, Tim

I'm slightly more charitable than Howard.

Unwarrentedly so, but fortunately, as I'm asking you for substantial charity in another endeavor.

I suspect that "moment" came from "moment arm", which does have meaning in physics and engineering, and is measured in inches (or meters).  However, a meaningful engine-to-wing moment arm would be measured from the center of gravity of the engine to the aerodynamic center of the wing -- and the leading edge is a good long way from the aerodynamic center.

My guess is that the original phony heard "tail moment arm" somewhere, thought "arm" was superfluous, and also didn't understand why it was measured between the hard-to-measure points it is and decided it could be simplified.  The result was a somewhat meaningless measurement given a name that means something else.  Then, to make things worse, he figured if there was a "tail moment", there must be a "nose moment", so he made something up.   Here we are several decades later wondering what it should mean.  I think the engine was customarily located to get the fore-aft CG to come out in the right place without ballast, so the distance from the engine assembly CG to the airplane CG (not directly the AC) might have been a useful number, but I can't think of anything "nose moment arm" could mean, let alone "nose moment".  

So, Howard -- you've made statements about wing sweep and performance in the wind.  Are you inclined to say what you think does work well in the wind, in your terms?

For combat, a modern F2D plane.  For stunt, I'd expect a Firecracker to work well, but for the same reason I thought Don Hutchinson's F-86 would work poorly, and it doesn't.  If I had a nice U joint for flaps, it would be interesting to try extreme forward sweep.  I think there may be points in being able to keep the tricks opposite the judges regardless of wind vagaries.  Meanwhile, I'm standing pat.  So, to give a maybe-not-too-satisfactory answer to Juan, an Impact's LE sweep works just fine.    
The Jive Combat Team

Mike Griffin

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
Juan

I think LE sweep is there just to make the plane look cool.  Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
I agree with Mike
Joe Daly

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
For stunt, I'd expect a Firecracker to work well, but for the same reason I thought Don Hutchinson's F-86 would work poorly, and it doesn't.  If I had a nice U joint for flaps, it would be interesting to try extreme forward sweep.  I think there may be points in being able to keep the tricks opposite the judges regardless of wind vagaries.  Meanwhile, I'm standing pat.  So, to give a maybe-not-too-satisfactory answer to Juan, an Impact's LE sweep works just fine.    

I think a pair of lucky boxes at the flaps would take care of linkage.

Paul Walker mentioned in his '81 Impact article that he was never going back to a forward-swept flap hingeline, but I cannot remember what he said about reasons, nor would I expect him to necessarily have the same attitude today.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
I think a pair of lucky boxes at the flaps would take care of linkage.

Paul Walker mentioned in his '81 Impact article that he was never going back to a forward-swept flap hingeline, but I cannot remember what he said about reasons, nor would I expect him to necessarily have the same attitude today.

More specifically, he said, "if I ever think about building a swept-forward hinge line please break my arm" or something close to that. Then he did it again on the Mustangs. The reason was trimming issues.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
I think LE sweep is there just to make the plane look cool.

This is credible.  The optimal amount would be that which makes the plane look coolest. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »
Great. So it's a myth that quarter chord sweep back aids tracking in windy conditions. (I am straining to understand Howard's terms.) 30s pylon racers are fab looking. Glad to find out that the straight leading edge of these designs can be preserved when stretching this and that to make them effective in CL Stunt.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:55 PM »
Great. So it's a myth that quarter chord sweep back aids tracking in windy conditions. (I am straining to understand Howard's terms.) 30s pylon racers are fab looking. Glad to find out that the straight leading edge of these designs can be preserved when stretching this and that to make a simulation effective in CL Stunt.

Pressed the wrong icon suddenly I'm quoting myself. Feels very strange.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »
Great. So it's a myth that quarter chord sweep back aids tracking in windy conditions. (I am straining to understand Howard's terms.)

What's that you call tracking?  I am straining to understand your terms.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:07 AM »
I had another model type before Max ... it was called Next. The only difference was larger wing. The Max was orriginaly cloned Next with smaller wing because I saw that the orriginal wing had too much area, but I wanted to reuse root templeate so I did shorter only tip chord by 20mm (less then inch). The result was little more sweepback and little more taper. Since we did several of both models I can tell difference. That model with less swep back gave better chance to set tip weight, changes 0.5g were clearly visible and feelable. The Max was not so easy to see, but it also means it is little more forgiving. So while Next was very well trimable to perfect trim, Max was more universal in different conditions what made him well usable when I go to contest in different altitude or different conditions (when I practice early morning and I must fly afternoon in hot air), I not need to play with tip weight too much. Also side wind does not take him out of the trim so much as did with Next. The reason could be area concentrated close to fuselage while LO guide still on the same distance from CG (taper effect), or maybe dihedral effect like Brett pointed (caused by sweepback). I any case it is visible difference.

http://www.netax.sk/hexoft/stunt/thenext.htm

http://www.netax.sk/hexoft/stunt/the_max_ii.htm

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
Is a straight leading edge wing at a disadvantage in CL Stunt when compared to a wing with sweep back? If so, in what way?

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

Thanks for all the answers ,I have enjoyed reading all comments and will keep them in mind.I will be saving this thread.
                                                                                                                                           Juan

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »
Is a straight leading edge wing at a disadvantage in CL Stunt when compared to a wing with sweep back? If so, in what way?

Suggest you read Igor's account posted on Feb 24 at 12:59:07.

Keith

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
I read it. Igor is reporting on specific planes. Not a scientific sample. Anecdotal. Problem with much opinion expressed on these forums. Howard seems to contradict these conclusions. I am hoping he will elaborate. As far as anecdotal observations. I have seen at least one stunter with a nearly straight leading edge do the pattern in roaring winds. Finished 7th at the NATs that time. Finished 7th again a few years later. For aesthetic reasons I am interested in straight leading edge (or nearly straight leading edge) wings. Since they match the aesthetics of 1930s pylon racers. Planes I find fascinating.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:53:26 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
I do not see too much contradiction, Howard certainly means properly trimmed model, and I say the difference is how to reach that trim ... so we are speaking about two different things :- )))

When I observed this property, I asked myself what is better, I did not answer myslef, but in any case I was more successfull with that with shorter tips. Alex Schrek used even shorter tips and the same had Richie K. I think they both went back to Max planform lately, so it is certainly not "the more - the better".

However I can imagine the rectangular wing can have also some advantages, for example I can imagine that it will not tend to roll in hard turs. So pilot with lower skill which cannot do all corners of the same radius (for which is model trimmed), can also benefit from such wing, but differences are tiny

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
I read it. Igor is reporting on specific planes. Not a scientific sample. Anecdotal. Problem with much opinion expressed on these forums. Howard seems to contradict these conclusions.

Not quite correct Dennis. Scientific examples can have multiple outcomes. You are  looking for a single definitive answer which in and of itself is not always scientific. The definitive answer for wing sweep is NOT absolute,it is relative. Consequently Igor's observation,(which is part of the scientific method by the way) is completely correct RELATIVE to his set of parameters.

That is, the key to wing sweep is part of a set of parameters that,taken together produce a certain outcome. Maneuvering aerodynamics is a complex business that demands study and experience to get right.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Right. Igor. I agree with you. I didn't think your discussion focused on whether or not leading edge sweep back was of benefit in CL Stunt airplanes.

I don't know why you would conclude that a reduction in body roll is of benefit to the less skilled flier, not so to the more skilled flier. In any case, I think we can agree that a flier who edges close to top five is of above average skill. Within a hair of demonstrable top 5 skill. I am talking of Dan Banjok and his Vista. A near straight leading edge plane. Total sweep back of 1/2" from center to tip. Miniscule on a 60" span thick airfoil model. I am interested in knowing whether anyone made a systematic comparison of the performance of sweep back vs non-sweep back models flying at typical stunt speeds. Side note: combat planes that need to be aimed accurately and are flown in all kinds of wind conditions, use straight leading edge wings.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:54:58 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't know why you would conclude that a reduction in body roll is of benefit to the less skilled flier, not so to the more skilled flier.

I mean something else ... more skilled flier can do equivalent corners all the time. So he can benefit from model which is good at just that one radius and does not matter what model does if he does corner for example tighter (model usually tends to roll out) ... while less experienced flier, which sometimes comes to stress, and simply once does corner tighter and once weaker, will benefit if model does not rooll in such case and if he pays little penatlty of some worse property of somethig else, does not matter, because he will not feel it too much anyway.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
My first recolletion of the terms "Moments" as generally (OK, erroneously) applied to CL Stunt aircraft came from the MAN atricle that accompanied George Aldrich's Nobler article.  The distances from the engine thrust washer to the leading edge of the wing at the root, was described (erroneously) as the "nose Moment".  The distance from the flap hinge line to the elevator was described (erroronously) as the "tail moment".  I recall a diagram with dimensions describing those parameters.

I think these terms simply stuck in the CL Stunt community.  It's entirely possible that George got them from somewhere else (erroneously).

At any rate, I would say that while they certainly are not engineering discriptions, they have been adopted to actually mean some specified linear dimensions that, while not used in any meaningful aerodynamic calculations, can certainly be used to describe a particular general arrangement of the physical elements of a CL stunt aircraft.

As such they do have a generalized purpose that has come to mean something in the Stunt community, and therefore any criticism aimed at their use simply means that the folks leveling the criticism are being "Prudish" technocrats that actually do know what is meant by their usage in general terms but insist on trying to show everyone else that they are too smart to acknowledge that changes,or additions, in general terminology do and can coexist with numerically generated engineering reality.

Besides, sometimes the real engineering terms don't do much better at describing the actual physical function of the surrounding world except in numbers (sometimes erroneously).  Especially since they are understood only by a very small portion of the population.

I've learned to just smile and accept reality.  After all, the ultimate level of education is Philosophy is it not?  Isn't that why they call it PhD.   <= <=

Randy Cuberly  D>K

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
I remember that diagram in the GMA article, Randy. What has me a little confused is stuff I recall from the Zaic books, where Frank Zaic showed how to calculate tail volumes, both horizontal and vertical tail volumes. Seems to me that he measured from the "quarter chord" of the wing, but maybe I've forgotten that detail, and he referenced from something else. That didn't make any sense to me. I could see referencing from the MAC or even high point of the airfoil, but I better stop before Howard gets upset with the terms I'm using being all wrong...  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
I'd think that taper would help in turbulence, where the upsetting moment is proportional to the spanwise distance from the CG to the mean aerodynamic chord, and the restoring moment is proportional to the spanwise distance from the CG to the leadout guide.  Rectangular wings also aren't as structurally wonderful: there's more load out toward the tip, which makes for a higher bending moment at the wing root, and the spar isn't as deep at the root, so the forces on the spar at the root are even greater.  The rectangular wing might be more prone to twisting, too.  The upchuck is that the structure for a rectangular wing would need to be heavier than for a tapered wing.  Maybe you'd get some hinge moment benefit from constant-chord flaps.  I don't know.  

If a rectangular wing looks cool to you, I think you should use it.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
I remember that diagram in the GMA article, Randy. What has me a little confused is stuff I recall from the Zaic books, where Frank Zaic showed how to calculate tail volumes, both horizontal and vertical tail volumes. Seems to me that he measured from the "quarter chord" of the wing, but maybe I've forgotten that detail, and he referenced from something else. That didn't make any sense to me. I could see referencing from the MAC or even high point of the airfoil, but I better stop before Howard gets upset with the terms I'm using being all wrong...  LL~ Steve

Probably a quarter of the way back on the mean aerodynamic chord.  That has actual physical significance. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
As such they do have a generalized purpose that has come to mean something in the Stunt community, and therefore any criticism aimed at their use simply means that the folks leveling the criticism are being "Prudish" technocrats that actually do know what is meant by their usage in general terms but insist on trying to show everyone else that they are too smart to acknowledge that changes,or additions, in general terminology do and can coexist with numerically generated engineering reality.

Besides, sometimes the real engineering terms don't do much better at describing the actual physical function of the surrounding world except in numbers (sometimes erroneously).  Especially since they are understood only by a very small portion of the population.

Obviously I disagree.  Whoever coined some of those terms was using words the meaning of which he pretended to understand, but didn't.  So he came up with measurements with no physical significance, no standard definition you can look up, and names that mean something else.  So if you are describing a set of measurements for a bunch of airplanes, you are better off drawing an airplane cartoon with distances shown and labeled "a", "b", etc. or saying, "distance from the thrust washer to the wing root leading edge measured at the side of the body"  than by using "nose moment", which could mean a measurement to the wing root, to a point halfway down the leading edge, or something else.  You can communicate better by describing things without using technical terms than you can by using technical terms ambiguously and a lot better than you can by using technical terms wrong. 

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
Obviously I disagree.  Whoever coined some of those terms was using words the meaning of which he pretended to understand, but didn't.  So he came up with measurements with no physical significance, no standard definition you can look up, and names that mean something else.  So if you are describing a set of measurements for a bunch of airplanes, you are better off drawing an airplane cartoon with distances shown and labeled "a", "b", etc. or saying, "distance from the thrust washer to the wing root leading edge measured at the side of the body"  than by using "nose moment", which could mean a measurement to the wing root, to a point halfway down the leading edge, or something else.  You can communicate better by describing things without using technical terms than you can by using technical terms ambiguously and a lot better than you can by using technical terms wrong. 

I have to agree  with Howard here,
I visit several photography sites,, its a real crapshoot to communicate because people dont use the proper terms for things
so when you respond you never know whether they are refering to the real definition, or the one they imagine it to be

words have specific meanings,, to communicate you must use the words that refer to the proper topic,,or risk confusion
its like stating the wing percentage thickness is it with or without flaps,,
stating the tail "moment" (sic),, is it from the CG or the flap hingeline,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »

Balloney Howard...read what I wrote again!
It has nothing to do with using technical terms wrong.  Those "technical terms" exist only in the "misusage" described therefore they could be simply described by the definitions given for them as "New physical descriptive terms".  I think the drawing supplied in the article gave them their definition.

You certainly have the right to disagree...you also have the right to be wrong in your thinking.

Relax you can't change the fact that the terms as used by a given community of people and understood as a standard description of something, colloquial or not, has meaning to that community.  No matter how wrong YOU think it is!

However if asked to calculate meaningful answers from that colloquial data...you can certainly laugh a lot!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
I have to agree  with Howard here,
I visit several photography sites,, its a real crapshoot to communicate because people dont use the proper terms for things
so when you respond you never know whether they are refering to the real definition, or the one they imagine it to be

words have specific meanings,, to communicate you must use the words that refer to the proper topic,,or risk confusion
its like stating the wing percentage thickness is it with or without flaps,,
stating the tail "moment" (sic),, is it from the CG or the flap hingeline,,

Hi Mark,
Well, if you're talking about the names of physical objects, like calling a lens a thingamajig, you're right.  But for the purposes of our discussion which is about technical terms...what I said to Howard applies to you also.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
You certainly have the right to disagree...you also have the right to be wrong in your thinking.

I'm not, though, of course.  

So a person new to stunt (not that there are any) confronted with the term "nose moment" would need to find a 60-year-old magazine article to find its definition, whereas if he wants a definition of "moment", he could find a consistent one in any physics or mechanics textbook or in a zillion places on line.  

More confusing than "nose moment" is when a term's real meaning is close to what the user means, but not quite.  Not to pick on the Colonel, but "LE sweep helps reduce changes in yaw as the model travels around the circle in wind."  is an example of that.  I knew he couldn't have meant yaw relative to a fixed axis system, the usual definition of yaw, because that angle changes inversely proportional to lap time.  Maybe he meant yaw relative to the tangent to the circle.  That would be what you'd see at the handle.  No, if he's thinking of Cnβ, that would be wrong, and if it were true, it wouldn't be a virtue.  Maybe he meant "helps reduce changes in sideslip".  Cnβ would do that, I guess, but if you have enough line tension to control the airplane, I'd think that Clβ from sweep would cause more trouble than Cnβ would cause good.  So I was confused.  If it's clear to you, please explain it to me.  

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
I'm not, though, of course.  

So a person new to stunt (not that there are any) confronted with the term "nose moment" would need to find a 60-year-old magazine article to find its definition, whereas if he wants a definition of "moment", he could find a consistent one in any physics or mechanics textbook or in a zillion places on line.  

More confusing than "nose moment" is when a term's real meaning is close to what the user means, but not quite.  Not to pick on the Colonel, but "LE sweep helps reduce changes in yaw as the model travels around the circle in wind."  is an example of that.  I knew he couldn't have meant yaw relative to a fixed axis system, the usual definition of yaw, because that angle changes inversely proportional to lap time.  Maybe he meant yaw relative to the tangent to the circle.  That would be what you'd see at the handle.  No, if he's thinking of Cnβ, that would be wrong, and if it were true, it wouldn't be a virtue.  Maybe he meant "helps reduce changes in sideslip".  Cnβ would do that, I guess, but if you have enough line tension to control the airplane, I'd think that Clβ from sweep would cause more trouble than Cnβ would cause good.  So I was confused.  If it's clear to you, please explain it to me.  

Howard,
What you're forgetting is that 98% of the people on this forum have no idea what the Hell you are talking about and don't understand anything you have said...but did get the jist of what Keith ment by Yaw...  I definitely do not agree with his conclusion but did understand what he meant.  But then I probably know him a little better than you do and talk to him more often.

I would never try to explain it to you!

Bottom line is don't be such a bully you'll get your point across better if you simply realize you are talking to intelligent people who don't understand your language...you have to speak in theirs if you want them to understand...if you can't do that it simply means you're a good engineer and a lousy reference for normal folks!

Peace!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
For those folks questioning a rectangular configuration for a CL Stunt wing either for better or worse I would simply post this picture of Kaz Minato's Classic entry at last years VSC.
Very Beautiful airplane and it flew very very well!   If there was any disadvantage there, it certainly wasn't obvious and was "in the noise". 

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
What you're forgetting is that 98% of the people on this forum have no idea what the Hell you are talking about and don't understand anything you have said...but did get the jist of what Keith ment by Yaw...

I wrote that to describe my thought process in trying to figure out what Keith meant, and I daresay I used the language correctly. He used a technical term when a description in lay language would have served him better.  No, I don't think anybody got the jist of what he "ment" except by accident.

I definitely do not agree with his conclusion but did understand what he meant.  But then I probably know him a little better than you do and talk to him more often.

So what did he mean and how could you tell?

I would never try to explain it to you!

My guess is that you can't.

Bottom line is don't be such a bully you'll get your point across better if you simply realize you are talking to intelligent people who don't understand your language...you have to speak in theirs if you want them to understand.

This is exactly my point.  It's particularly onerous if "your language" is a private one made up of words that mean something else.  Don't say "nose moment".  Say "the distance between..." .  If you mean "the sideways angle between the direction the airplane is pointed and the direction the air is blowing on it", say that if you want a general reader to understand it. 
The Jive Combat Team

Mike Griffin

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
Randy has pointed something out here that needed to be pointed out.  I think the original question was, why do most stunters have a swept leading edge and how much sweep is enough.  I was making a joke when I said it looked cooler but maybe that was a small factor in the swept back leading edge.  There may very well be some aerodynamic advantages to have the leading edge swept back but as Randy said, they need to be explained in terms and language that the other 98% can understand.  The skill of the pilot has a lot to do with how the plane goes through the pattern also.  Often dicussions that evolve from a relativly simple question that was originally asked, get so far out in the brainiac sphere that I sometimes think that a foreign language is being spoken.  Whenever I start reading a thread that insterests me for whatever reason and all of a sudden I am looking at calculus and formulas that I have no idea what they mean, I just give up on the thread and go elsewhere.  A person who asks a simple question like what does uniflo mean in a gas tank and gets an answer that is a lesson in physics from someone whose intentions are good but does not know how to relate to this person who might be an insurance salesman, is most probably going to just give up and not want to seem dumb because he cannot even understand the language of physics or formulas and feel intimidated and not ask any more questions because of thinking he is appearing as dumb.

I think it is great that we have a group of individuals on here that are extremely bright in their fields and have a tremendous amount of knowledge in math, engineering, physics and aerodynamics that they can share with the other 98% of us..we are indeed fortunate.  But as Randy previously stated, unless you respond in language and terms the 98% of us can understand,  things get lost in translation.

I have read these threads that are posted on here sometimes by these individuals and after i have read the thread, I have no idea what they are talking about and seek out a post and responses I can relate to.

We are very fortunate to have these bright minds among us...just dumb it down a little for us poor slobs in the 98 %

Mike

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:22 PM »

I am not sure what you are talking about here. Tapered means tapered, the tip chord is smaller than the root chord, nothing more as far as I know. Swept or not swept is as mentioned above, whether the 1/4 chord point (and by implication - the CP) is either straight or swept. Any combination of those is possible.

Most full stunt planes have tapered wings and some sweep. Mostly, this keeps the wing looking about right and in many cases you want to keep the flap hinge line straight for mechanical and trim reasons.  The sweep probably helps generate some yaw stability and does cause some dihedral effect (although not much), but I expect it comes out that way because with an appealing taper, flaps = 20% of the chord, and a straight hinge line, it just winds up that way. If you don't want sweep, you probably end up with the hinge line swept forward.

Brett

I was referring to the planform of the wing and where the CP (Center of Pressure?)- as per your ex. 25%, can be either swept fwd, straight or swept aft. If you plot out the high points, you get this.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Howard is absolutely correct...and as usual, this belongs on the engineering board. That anyone expects this question to have a convenient "home remedy" answer is unfortunate. I don't care whether one WANTS it to have such an answer; it DOES NOT.

Now that the majority have tuned out to beliebve what's comfortable, I'll @#$% uphill or into the wind with the rest.

FIRST, it is not reasonable nor more "understandable" to use technical terms wrong and then state that you know what they actually mean to the masses. Nose moment means the torque around the center of mass exerted by the sum of the moments (torques) ahead of it. NOTHING MORE! If you choose it to mean the "distance" from the "whatever" to the leading edge, it is still absolutely meaningless, because it does not describe accurately what actually happens when you place a weight there. You can kid yourself all you want and suggest that it's healthy for others to think this way, but it is inaccurate in any inferences you may choose to draw from such characterizations.  Forces that act ahead of the c.g. exert torques on the plane that are proportional to their distance from the c.g., NOT the leading edge. There is significant and quite measurable difference, and they have resulted in numerous errors, for instance, in adding prop extensions on light weight engines for certain purposes. These have resulted in historically disadvantageous tail sizes and lengths.

Hinge to hinge measurements too are not proportional to what really happens when tail moments and volumes are changed. Such measurements are irrelevant to real-world happenings. The only reason they seem - that is SEEM - to work is that most stunters have settled on the same approximate configuration, and hodge-podge solutions in trim "cure" design mistakes.

These are the effects relevant to the question, and their analysis and use are not all simple and NOT always easily understood.

1) Wing taper determines MAC placement, which in turn determines how far in on the span the a.c. lies. The more the taper, the further inboard the a.c. lies, until the taper ratio is zero (pointed wing), in which case the theoretical a.c lies at 1/3 the half span. In reality, all a.c.'s lie inboard of their computed value, because of tip losses and resulting lift distributions. This is significant to wind gusts, which is why more highly tapered wings like the "Firecracker's" are preferred in Australia and why elliptical wings are considered better in the wind (gusts). Leading edge sweep also moves the a.c. further aft of what any "home remedies predict; the famous icon of stunt design mentioned above once made that mistake and apparently wrote off a viable design, built later successfully by others who then placed the c.g. appropriately (you do not place the c.g according to root chord with any significant leading-edge sweep).  Taper allows wings to approximate more closely the proved ideal of elliptical lift distribution  (although idealized root bending moment calls for a variation). The limit is dictated by Reynolds numbers near the tip - too short a tip chord leads to inefficiency, flow separation, and tip stalls.

2) Spanwise-straight or swept back hinge lines should be more stable in yaw on normally tapered wings, since the forward yawed wing will usually have less lift and drag than the aft one with the more perpendicular hinge line and more projected (usually) planview area.

3) in order to achieve the straight hinge line and still have reasonable taper, the leading edge must be swept back. If flaps are reasonably proportioned (talk to Ted, Howard, or Brett) then the amount of sweep is determined by preferences of efficiency and wind (gust) performance. Sweep back causes a dihedral effect while otherwise stabilizing a wing in respect to yaw, due to drag. The dihedral effect causes complications in roll with gusts, and there is always a yaw-roll couple, meaning simply that if you cause either yaw or roll, you almost always get the other too.

4) Control line leadout position relative to rake helps diminish the yaw and roll effects. A lot of control-line fliers don't care. Some do.

Ultimately, it is comfortable for people to claim that these things like hinge-to-hinge or "nose moment" (whatever that actually is supposed to mean) measurements are significant, but they are not meaningful past the point that in a "normal" stunter, a longer one of these measurements means that the proper and significant measurement is also longer. HOWEVER, they are NOT proportional, and such fictitious "accepted" measurements, when actually used quantitatively, give the wrong answers, which are then gleefully accepted as meaningful, after trim has been applied to mask their shortcomings.

Do we always have to denigrate people who just try to use perfectly understandable terms by bastardizing these terms and casting aspersions on the character of people who use them correctly and post over and over all that's needed to truly understand? She-e-e-e-sh!!!

SK
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:59:36 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:21 PM »
This is all my fault for mentioning moment.  Back in 1969, I used to build listening to the stereo.  My favorite song was by Jay and the Americans titled This Magic Moment.  I guess it just stuck with me.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »

I was referring to the planform of the wing and where the CP (Center of Pressure?)- as per your ex. 25%, can be either swept fwd, straight or swept aft. If you plot out the high points, you get this.

So it wasn't taper, it was sweep, that you were referring to.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
Howard is absolutely correct...and as usual, this belongs on the engineering board. That anyone expects this question to have a convenient "home remedy" answer is unfortunate. I don't care whether one WANTS it to have such an answer; it DOES NOT.

Now that the majority have tuned out to beliebve what's comfortable, I'll @#$% uphill or into the wind with the rest.

FIRST, it is not reasonable nor more "understandable" to use technical terms wrong and then state that you know what they actually mean to the masses. Nose moment means the torque around the center of mass exerted by the sum of the moments (torques) ahead of it. NOTHING MORE! If you choose it to mean the "distance" from the "whatever" to the leading edge, it is still absolutely meaningless, because it does not describe accurately what actually happens when you place a weight there. You can kid yourself all you want and suggest that it's healthy for others to think this way, but it is inaccurate in any inferences you may choose to draw from such characterizations.  Forces that act ahead of the c.g. exert torques on the plane that are proportional to their distance from the c.g., NOT the leading edge. There is significant and quite measurable difference, and they have resulted in numerous errors, for instance, in adding prop extensions on light weight engines for certain purposes. These have resulted in historically disadvantageous tail sizes and lengths.

Hinge to hinge measurements too are not proportional to what really happens when tail moments and volumes are changed. Such measurements are irrelevant to real-world happenings. The only reason they seem - that is SEEM - to work is that most stunters have settled on the same approximate configuration, and hodge-podge solutions in trim "cure" design mistakes.

These are the effects relevant to the question, and their analysis and use are not all simple and NOT always easily understood.

1) Wing taper determines MAC placement, which in turn determines how far in on the span the a.c. lies. The more the taper, the further inboard the a.c. lies, until the taper ratio is zero (pointed wing), in which case the theoretical a.c lies at 1/3 the half span. In reality, all a.c.'s lie inboard of their computed value, because of tip losses and resulting lift distributions. This is significant to wind gusts, which is why more highly tapered wings like the "Firecracker's" are preferred in Australia and why elliptical wings are considered better in the wind (gusts). Leading edge sweep also moves the a.c. further aft of what any "home remedies predict; the famous icon of stunt design mentioned above once made that mistake and apparently wrote off a viable design, built later successfully by others who then placed the c.g. appropriately (you do not place the c.g according to root chord with any significant leading-edge sweep).  Taper allows wings to approximate more closely the proved ideal of elliptical lift distribution  (although idealized root bending moment calls for a variation). The limit is dictated by Reynolds numbers near the tip - too short a tip chord leads to inefficiency, flow separation, and tip stalls.

2) Spanwise-straight or swept back hinge lines should be more stable in yaw on normally tapered wings, since the forward yawed wing will usually have less lift and drag than the aft one with the more perpendicular hinge line and more projected (usually) planview area.

3) in order to achieve the straight hinge line and still have reasonable taper, the leading edge must be swept back. If flaps are reasonably proportioned (talk to Ted, Howard, or Brett) then the amount of sweep is determined by preferences of efficiency and wind (gust) performance. Sweep back causes a dihedral effect while otherwise stabilizing a wing in respect to yaw, due to drag. The dihedral effect causes complications in roll with gusts, and there is always a yaw-roll couple, meaning simply that if you cause either yaw or roll, you almost always get the other too.

4) Control line leadout position relative to rake helps diminish the yaw and roll effects. A lot of control-line fliers don't care. Some do.

Ultimately, it is comfortable for people to claim that these things like hinge-to-hinge or "nose moment" (whatever that actually is supposed to mean) measurements are significant, but they are not meaningful past the point that in a "normal" stunter, a longer one of these measurements means that the proper and significant measurement is also longer. HOWEVER, they are NOT proportional, and such fictitious "accepted" measurements, when actually used quantitatively, give the wrong answers, which are then gleefully accepted as meaningful, after trim has been applied to mask their shortcomings.

Do we always have to denigrate people who just try to use perfectly understandable terms by bastardizing these terms and casting aspersions on the character of people who use them correctly and post over and over all that's needed to truly understand? She-e-e-e-sh!!!

SK
Serge,

If you wish to deal in absolutes, the one correct thing you said is that your discourse belongs on the engineering board!
Why not take it over there. 

Randy Cuberly!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »
Serge,

If you wish to deal in absolutes, the one correct thing you said is that your discourse belongs on the engineering board!
Why not take it over there. 

Randy Cuberly!

You're welcome to address anything you feel to be incorrect here - 'probably ought to. As for taking it elsewhere...

1) I didn't put this thread here.

2) I've covered all these on the other boards, including "over there". You can use the search function here and on SSWF to find the informatiuon.

SK

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
My favorite song was by Jay and the Americans titled This Magic Moment.

I like the guitar lick on the Drifters version.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 01:16:21 AM »
Randy has pointed something out here that needed to be pointed out.  I think the original question was, why do most stunters have a swept leading edge and how much sweep is enough.  I was making a joke when I said it looked cooler but maybe that was a small factor in the swept back leading edge.  There may very well be some aerodynamic advantages to have the leading edge swept back but as Randy said, they need to be explained in terms and language that the other 98% can understand.  The skill of the pilot has a lot to do with how the plane goes through the pattern also.  Often dicussions that evolve from a relativly simple question that was originally asked, get so far out in the brainiac sphere that I sometimes think that a foreign language is being spoken.  Whenever I start reading a thread that insterests me for whatever reason and all of a sudden I am looking at calculus and formulas that I have no idea what they mean, I just give up on the thread and go elsewhere.  A person who asks a simple question like what does uniflo mean in a gas tank and gets an answer that is a lesson in physics from someone whose intentions are good but does not know how to relate to this person who might be an insurance salesman, is most probably going to just give up and not want to seem dumb because he cannot even understand the language of physics or formulas and feel intimidated and not ask any more questions because of thinking he is appearing as dumb.

I think it is great that we have a group of individuals on here that are extremely bright in their fields and have a tremendous amount of knowledge in math, engineering, physics and aerodynamics that they can share with the other 98% of us..we are indeed fortunate.  But as Randy previously stated, unless you respond in language and terms the 98% of us can understand,  things get lost in translation.

I have read these threads that are posted on here sometimes by these individuals and after i have read the thread, I have no idea what they are talking about and seek out a post and responses I can relate to.

We are very fortunate to have these bright minds among us...just dumb it down a little for us poor slobs in the 98 %

I went off on my "nose moment" tirade, leading the thread away from the original question.  Here's a try, although other people have said the same thing while I was writing this:

Leading edge sweep doesn't affect much directly.  Stunt planes have it because the wings are usually tapered and the flap hinge line is usually pretty straight.  I gave a couple of reasons for taper above, and you gave a better one, although it doesn't apply to Dennis.  I think wing sweep back is bad; Keith thinks it's good.  I can explain why I think it's bad.  It's not awful, though, and not having experimented with way-swept-forward flaps, I'll accept the conventional wisdom that they would do worse things than the sweep does, so I'm building another Impact.  That still doesn't answer the question of what's the optimal LE sweep.  Maybe what we should have done from the get-go was to rephrase it as, "what's the optimal taper, given the usual stunt plane aspect ratio and a straight hinge line?"  Igor came closest to answering that.  I don't know the answer.

To address your objection, alas some of this stuff is kinda complicated, and to show why it is what it is takes some math.  Try showing somebody without using math why his airplane will turn more easily for a given CG if his battery and motor are in the same place than if the battery is on the CG and the motor is way out in front of the airplane.  I haven't seen much beyond high school math here, and I don't think anybody should apologize for using high school math.  One thing that annoys me is guys "simplifying" stuff when their knowlege of the subject is so shallow that they have no alternative.  One guy writing in a recent Model Aviation started with something like, "I know this will annoy engineers out there, but I'm going to explain this without using math."  As I expected, he then went on to reveal that he didn't know beans about what he was “explaining”.

I have a friend who wrote a technical book and seemed to have math minimization as an objective.  Sure enough, scanning through the book you don’t see much math.  It’s all there, though.  He just put everything into highfalutin vector operators so the math was packed in tight like matter in a neutron star.  This isn’t pertinent to this conversation, but I thought it was amusing.  

I don't like the term "dumb down".  I hope you mean that folks should put more effort into explaining something to the intelligent reader who’s not in on the jargon.  Things that can help are to avoid using esoteric technical terms when possible, not to use technical terms the meaning of which the user doesn't understand, and not to use private jargon.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 04:04:15 AM »
I like waking up feeling ignorant, even a little stupid. Means there's something to try and figure out. Think about. It's the action of trying that feels good.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:36:28 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »

I think wing sweep back is bad; Keith thinks it's good.  I can explain why I think it's bad.  It's not awful, though, and not having experimented with way-swept-forward flaps, I'll accept the conventional wisdom that they would do worse things than the sweep does, so I'm building another Impact.  

Howard,

Do you really really think wing LE sweep back is bad?  I was going to ask you then, why do you build your CLPA airplanes with swept back LE edges?  But then, I guess you sort of answered that conventional wisdom (whatever that is, like - where is this conventional wisdom?) sort of says that it is better than say having "way-swept-forward flaps".

Now, some of this has already been addressed in one form or another.  But one thing to consider is to understand why full scale aircraft use tapered wings.  And tapered wings means that generally, there will be LE sweep-back to some degree.  It is my understanding that there are several reasons for wing taper.  One is structural.  A wing with taper can be built lighter than a non-tapered wing of the same area each designed to the same strength specifications because the tip loads on the center structure are less with the tapered wing (washout and/or washin notwithstanding).  Another reason is that a tapered wing is closer to a more optimal elliptical wing planform without the fabrication difficulties of building an elliptical wing.  The tapered wing comes closer to giving elliptical lift distribution across the wing than a straight wing working on the premise that elliptical lift distribution is good because tip losses are minimized and drag is reduced.  (I have my own thoughts about elliptical wings on CLPA models, but I will not get into that here.)

And as has been suggested here, some may feel that a tapered wing (which sort of results in LE sweep) is more attractive.  So, go for what looks good.

An interesting experiment would be to build two stunt ships.  Equal span, equal areas, equal moments, same weight and same power package.  The only difference would be one has a non-tapered wing, the other with a tapered wing  with the amount of taper "normally" seen on CLPA models (probably not less than a taper ratio of 0.6 or 0.7).  Which one would have a better square turn?  I would suspect that a good pilot would determine that the tapered wing will present a better square maneuver.  And I think the reason for it is that there is a reduction in tip losses in the turns with a tapered wing.  There may be less drag involved, but drag experienced by a maneuvering CLPA model is not necessarily a bad thing.

Howard, I am not trying to argue with you, nor am I going to get into the discussion about whatever is the difference between side slip and yaw.

Keith

Mike Griffin

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
Howard thank you for taking the time to address my concern about explanations sometimes getting above some of our heads.  I do not like the term "DUMB DOWN" either and it was a poor choice of words to make a point.  God knows there is too much dumbing down going on in the country now.  I guess what I really was trying to say is that I look at this as a hobby and a relaxation outlet for me.  I cannot and will not speak for anyone else.  In most cases I am able to take what I need and seek from the information that is posted here most of the time.  THe posts that I cannot relate to for whatever reason I just skim over and go on.  I guess the old adage of if you ask someone what time it is and they tell you how the watch is made might apply to what I was trying to say.

In any case, I am glad we have folks like you and the others who have taken the time to post in this thread to unselfishly offer advice and share knowledge whether is gets to technical for me or not.  I do appreciate in particular your sense of humor Howard as it can be a bit warped like mine at times.....

Mike

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
     More specifically, he said, "if I ever think about building a swept-forward hinge line please break my arm" or something close to that. Then he did it again on the Mustangs. The reason was trimming issues.

Brett

That is correct. I had built a new very light plane for the '82 season. It was another "Frustrations End" geometry but in the low 50 ounce range. It flew reasonably well but always had yaw in harder corners that I could never trim out, and it became a real annoyance to me.

The next plane took that same geometry and simply straightened the flap hinge line. It totally solved the yaw issue. By straightening the hinge line I gave the wing more taper, an effectively  longer nose length and shorter tail length. This plane was the original "Bad News". The Impact series followed that straight hinge line.

The Mustangs used some "minor" hinge line forward sweep. They also had a more forward CG and they didn't have significant yaw issues.

I still use straight hinge lines on the electrics.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here