News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just got a new toy! Here's something historic...  (Read 14387 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Just got a new toy! Here's something historic...
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:05:39 AM »
I have a ton of old slides that my father took back in the 1940s and 1950s. I've been wanting to get a digital converter for several years with which to archive and share these photos.

I just hooked the device up and here's the very first slide I scanned. It is of Red Reinhardt in our living room around Christmas, oh, 1958 I'd guess. He's holding his last model airplane design. It's a swept-wing flying wing!

I'll be scanning hundreds of old slides and as I find ones that may be of interest to those on this forum I'll upload them.

So, here's the very first one of Red!

Later - Bob Hunt

PS: That photo on the table behind Red is of my sister, Joyce. She's now 83! - Bob
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 10:24:42 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Just got a new toy! Here's something historic...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:26:01 AM »
   Cool Photo! Nice Christmas tree!! I would be interested in see that model fly!! I wonder how it worked out?
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:58:21 AM »
LOL! Yeah, my sister was a fanatic about applying tinsel to every tree we ever had. She wouldn't let me do any tinseling, and when I went to bed she would also rearrange every ornament that I had put on the tree.  n~

Here's another shot of Red at the Millville NJ meet around 1949 or so. As many of you know, Red went on from here to design a number of very famous Old Time Stunt models, including the 1950 International Stunt Champ, the El Diablo, the Galloping Comedian, and the Stunt Wing, with which he won the 1954 Mirror Meet.

Red and Larry Scarinzi were absolute best buddies, and now, sadly they are both gone. But, boy, the memories they left behind...
Later - Bob

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 11:26:28 AM »
Great pictures Bob, can't wait to see more.

W.W.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 11:55:10 AM »
Here's another shot of Red at the Millville NJ meet around 1949 or so.
Boy does this one bring back memories.  Mom, bored stiff and questioning her sanity taking me to a contest in some dusty old airport where control line was flown off of a dirt road and you had to dodge run away free flight planes.  Being addressed as "Hey Kid" and listening to the bets if we could get the motor started?  Being ecstatic with 5th place in junior cause you placed so near the top. Sure was fun!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 12:42:58 PM »
Red needs a slingshot hanging out of his back pocket!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM »
Love the tinsel; obviously installed by a perfectionist.
Just like my dad.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 01:13:24 PM »
Very much enjoying the converted slides!

What converter did you decide on?

I have many family and other slides that I need to digitize.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 02:36:28 PM »
Hi Andre:

Welcome back to SH. I decided on the Kodak Slide N' Scan. It was around $140.00. It's very easy to use and I have a ton of slides to do, and several thousand strips of B&W film (mostly from my days at Flying Models...) as well.

I've learned that you really do have to use the cleaner wand that they supply with the scanner to avoid dust and such.

And, here's one more scan that is a bit historic. It's Red and Larry Scarinzi's wife, Ginger, hamming it up at a contest in the 1950s. To me this stuff is priceless as I grew up around Red and Larry. Red worked for my dad for nearly 30 years off and on, so I was around him a lot. We worked together in my dad's machine shop until I joined the Army in 1968.

Later - Bob

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 03:00:31 PM »
Jeeez. Is it just age that makes us so nostalgic or has the world really deteriorated so much? I'm only 61 but I really miss the 70's and 80's. So much simpler. So much cleaner. Great pictures. It's nice to be able to communicate with people who's names pop up in old publications from decades ago. Kind of a link to a past I was too young to know much about.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 03:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I was just getting started in the mid 50's. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 04:25:27 PM »
Jeeez. Is it just age that makes us so nostalgic or has the world really deteriorated so much? I'm only 61 but I really miss the 70's and 80's. So much simpler. So much cleaner. Great pictures. It's nice to be able to communicate with people who's names pop up in old publications from decades ago. Kind of a link to a past I was too young to know much about.
I think the 50's was the best era for a kid to grow up in in any of our life times.  Things were much simpler.  We had more real "fun" doing things and learning.  We walked a mile to school through the woods and parental supervision consisted of "Dinner will be at 6:00, if you are going to play in the woods, take your gun".  We built forts and tree houses, climbed trees and ate fresh fruit and berries sitting on a limb.  We lived in the country - I was 8.  There is probably a video game where they can simulate that to day.

By the 1960's things got just a bit more serious and being 18 in 1965 was not the best age to avoid all the "sh**" about to come.

It's all memories now but boy would I like another repeat of that decade (without the racism).

Ken
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 06:27:57 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 04:43:31 PM »
Bob....thanks so much for putting faces to many of the names I have heard through most of my life.
Looking forward to more of them!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 06:52:38 PM »
My pleasure, Dave!

And as a nightcap, here's another one. This time it's Dawn Cosmillo with her "Pigeon Jet"(so named by her competitors because the nose of the ship looked like a pigeon's head from a side view). This photo was taken around 1967 at my parent's house in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey. We had been at a local contest and my father invited a bunch of the fliers back to our house for a cookout. He took the opportunity to take some photos of the flier's with their models. Also in attendance that day at the cookout were John D'Ottavio, Dawn's father, Jim and her brother, Jimmy, Bill Simons, Gene Schaffer, Mark Tiefau and his father, and, well, a bunch of other East Coast fliers. It was quite a shindig...

Dawn and I flew against each other almost every week in those days in the Senior division at contests. She was a very good flier, and also just a very nice person. I spoke with Dawn not too many years back. She's living in Florida. We chatted for a while about the days we competed, but she said that she hadn't thought about flying for many years at that point.

Dawn won the Junior Nats title in 1965 at Willow Grove flying a Nobler. She placed second (I'm pretty sure...) to Mike Stott in the Senior division at the 1969 Nats, also at Willow Grove.

I'll keep scanning slides tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have some more interesting ones to share.

Later  Bob

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 07:11:58 PM »
I see in the pictures of Red holding his models that he flew clockwise.  That was standard where I came from in the early 1950's.  Were there many others flying clockwise in the east coast??  I've always wondered when and why did the counter-clockwise become the normal way??

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2024, 07:18:20 PM »
Hi Roy!

Long time, man... Must be an optical illusion; Red flew Counterclockwise his whole career.

Happy New Year - Bob

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2024, 07:54:57 PM »
These are great Bob! Can I steal them to post on the PAMPA facebook page for a couple throwback Thursday posts?
Matt Colan

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 08:11:03 PM »
Lead tinsel: the good stuff
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 08:35:25 PM »
Thank you Bob for your reply!

I've sent you a PM!

One more thing: Does the Kodak Slide n' Scan have a USB interface so the end result goes to the PC? Or does it save to a thumb drive, or either?

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2024, 05:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Bob.  Larry's stories about  Red and their adventures were, mostly, unbelievable except they were true. While we heard them repeatedly it sure would be great to hear him tell them right now.    Also, I flew a combat match with Dawn at a GSCB meet. I was 15 and terrified !  Jeez, what if I bumped into the most famous girl in our world!  Distracted.  All I can remember is that I lost the match.  These are memories.   TS

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2024, 06:17:11 AM »
I think the 50's was the best era for a kid to grow up in in any of our life times.  Things were much simpler.  We had more real "fun" doing things and learning.  We walked a mile to school through the woods and parental supervision consisted of "Dinner will be at 6:00, if you are going to play in the woods, take your gun".  We built forts and tree houses, climbed trees and ate fresh fruit and berries sitting on a limb.  We lived in the country - I was 8.  There is probably a video game where they can simulate that to day.

By the 1960's things got just a bit more serious and being 18 in 1965 was not the best age to avoid all the "sh**" about to come.

It's all memories now but boy would I like another repeat of that decade (without the racism).

Ken

Ken,

Your story is right out of my past. Not everything was perfect back in the 50s but it sure was a less complicated time.

Steve

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2024, 07:22:29 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Bob.  Larry's stories about  Red and their adventures were, mostly, unbelievable except they were true. While we heard them repeatedly it sure would be great to hear him tell them right now.    Also, I flew a combat match with Dawn at a GSCB meet. I was 15 and terrified !  Jeez, what if I bumped into the most famous girl in our world!  Distracted.  All I can remember is that I lost the match.  These are memories.   TS

LOL! I can sympathize, Tom, I lost way more stunt meets to Dawn than I won (but, I did win a few!). She was a great ambassador for our sport; approachable and friendly.

Yeah, the Larry and Red stories were/are great. I have a bunch of them to tell; probably ones you've already heard. I started writing an autobiography many years ago, and I'm quite certain I'll never actually finish it, but I did write a chapter about how Red and Larry influenced me as a young flier. I'll drop that chapter in here for those who might be interested:

Red and Larry

In your lifetime you will hopefully be fortunate enough to meet a very few people who are larger than life. Secretly, you might even wish that you were one of them. That’s how I have always felt about Red Reinhardt and Larry Scarinzi.
   Our local flying club was blessed to have had both of them as members at the same time. These were two heroes of such proportions as to keep a young flier constantly in awe. They both possessed such unbelievable building and flying skills that all action on the field would literally stop whenever they fired up an engine. Add to this the fact that they were absolutely hilarious natural characters, and it’s easy to see why even after more than 60 years they are still revered by those who grew up flying model airplanes in the New Jersey area. Whenever old time Eastern modelers get together, invariably the conversation gets quickly around to the telling and re-telling of favorite Red and Larry stories.
   As I mentioned at the beginning, Red and Larry were pretty much fixtures at our house. They both liked and admired Dad, and they especially liked Mom’s Fried Chicken (remember, she was a native Kentuckian!). In fact, when Red got married, he brought his wife, Edie, to our house to receive genuine Southern Fried Chicken cooking lessons! Red would always carry a bucket of fried chicken next to him in his car to snack on during long trips.

Red
   Of the two, Red was the quiet one. He had an extremely quick wit, but was the type that waited for just the right moment and then delivered the quintessential punch line. No one was cooler than Red. His incredible building skills seemed to stem from a natural artistic talent. He was constantly drawing really great little cartoon character sketches, and could decorate the wing of a new model with one in short order. In fact, many of Larry’s designs sported a sketch by Red on the wing or on the plan.
   In 1961 I was entered in Junior Combat at the Nats in Willow Grove. Red was living with my family at the time and worked for Dad as a machinist. I showed him my brand new, Riley Wooten designed, Quicker, which was painted all red. He told me to get him a pencil as he grabbed the ship from me. I watched in total amazement as he freehand drew flames from the leading edge back onto the wing. Some of the flames would overlap and some would blend, but the end result was beautiful. I spent the next few evenings painstakingly hand painting the flames to Red’s outlines. He added some much needed three dimensional coloring, and the finished product was the best looking model, by far, that I had owned up to that point!
   At the Nats I was stopped constantly by spectators who wanted a picture of the flaming Quicker. Oh, yeah, I lost in the first round, but didn’t put a scratch on the plane. I flew it for several years after that, and it will always rank in my mind as one of my all time favorites.
   Red could be irreverent. There is a great story about how he was flying at a contest that was sponsored by a local New Jersey Lions Club. Apparently the Stunt judges - who were Lions club members - had never even seen a model airplane before, and they were doing an awful job at scoring. Red decided that they needed some waking up, so during his flight he howled his hot stunter down out of a dive and did a perfect touch and go on their desk! Stunned, they all rocked backwards onto the ground. He got their attention, but no trophy that day!
   On several occasions, Red and Larry qualified for the Plymouth Internationals meet that was held in Detroit and sponsored by the Plymouth division of Chrysler. They stayed in a local hotel. Now, there are many stories that have been told about their escapades at those meets. Some are true. Some are, well, enhanced, but they are all legendary to those of us who followed their exploits.
   One of my favorites among the documented true stories is the Great Wing-Under Caper. It seems that Red and Larry got their hands on one of Jim Walker’s U-Reely handles and dropped a model out of a lofty hotel window, letting out line until the model was adjacent to a window a few stories lower.  I’ve never been too sure who did the flying and who did the starting (neither one would take the blame or credit), but the result was a series of high speed “wing-unders” that apparently almost took off some curious heads on the lower floors as they peaked out the windows!
   Red always seemed to have a supply of Cherry Bombs on hand. At the Plymouth Internats he found a damaged Wakefield model in a garbage can. Apparently only the nose was really smashed, and he fixed the ship up so that it could be flown. He wrapped solder around the damaged nose to get the CG right, and then attached the wing with rubber bands. He positioned a Cherry Bomb inside the fuselage, with its fuse running under the wing holdown bands. He launched it from his hotel window, and everyone watched with delight as it soared beautifully into the night - until the fuse burnt through the rubber bands . . .
   As the story goes, the fuselage separated from the wing and spiraled down until it was only a few feet above a police officer that was standing on a street corner. It exploded, showering the stunned cop with little sticks and bits of colored tissue! I’ll bet he never fully recovered.
   There are a number of other Cherry Bomb stories, but the one I like best was kept for years as a strict secret. It can now be told because, even if the statute of limitations hasn’t expired, they can’t touch Red. It seems there was this mail chute in the Hotel at the Plymouth meet. Red apparently dropped a Cherry Bomb down the chute and, from all first hand accounts, the result was confetti to about the fifth floor! Yes, he was mischievous, but, oh boy, was he ever fun!
   Red designed several very well known airplanes. The first of these to be published was his 1950 Internationals Stunt Winner. The seemingly simple, racer-like ship was deceptively innovative. The constant chord wing featured tapered leading and trailing edge sheeting. The width of the sheeting diminished from root to tip, as the need for strength also diminished. Red employed a full depth “D” tube type spar, and also shear webbed between the ribs at the trailing edge. This made for an extremely light but incredibly rigid wing. The fuselage featured a thin sheet box crutch with formers that were planked with 1/16-inch balsa. The stab and elevator were made from 1/8 inch thick balsa, and the elevators were very wide and had lots of area.
        Red drilled an extra hole in the stock aluminum bellcrank to allow the pushrod to be attached very close to the pivot point, yielding very little pushrod movement. He attached the pushrod to the elevator using a very tall horn. He balanced his ships extremely far aft, but they weren’t sensitive due to the small amount of pushrod movement and resulting small amount of elevator deflection. His wrist could move a great deal without inducing much control. That was the secret to his ultra-smoothness, while still achieving super tight corners. The model was balanced near its center of lift, but felt groovy to his hand. Ingenious! Many of today’s fliers are now using that same principal to achieve tight turning, but groovy feeling ships.
   Another of Red’s innovative designs was the Galloping Comedian, which was built to defend his Plymouth Internationals title. This design featured a hexagonal fuselage shape with an open cockpit and a spun aluminum cowling. The wing design was similar to the 1950 Internationals Winner, but featured large round wing tips. Red pulled all the stops in trying to make this ship as light as possible. He went a bit too far, and the wing broke, preventing him from defending his title in Detroit in 1951. Red fixed the ship after the meet and continued to fly it locally.
   Initially, the Comedian was fitted with a sand cast Fox .35, but the ship was so light that he retrofitted a K&B .19. The ship flew even better with the lighter engine! This design is often seen at OTS meets around the country. It is distinctive in outline, and most of the ones that I have seen seem to fly very competitively. My father spun the custom cowl for Red, and had the original mold in his possession right up to his death in 2002.
   Red’s next design was somewhat more spartan in appearance, but it was, perhaps, his best performer. The El Diablo featured a simple balsa box fuselage with a flat top and bottom, a sheet balsa tail group, and a rigid constant chord wing with outrageous bat-like trailing edge pieces. It was used for both Stunt and Combat flying, and had removable landing gear for better Combat performance. The fuselage was finished in natural wood with clear dope, and the wing was covered with green silk. It was simple and easy to construct, but it flew magnificently.
   Red used a sand-cast Fox .35 in the El Diablo for power, and flew it on .010 solid lines! You can just imagine how well that combination flew in that time period. The El Diablo is a favorite in many areas of the country for OTS events, but especially so here in the East where Red was king of that era. This design would make a great kit because of its ease of construction.
   Around late 1953, the flapped stunt ship had made its appearance, and a new type of pattern was beginning to be accepted. The slow, smooth and fluid type of maneuvers flown by ships like Bob Palmer’s Pow Wow, Smoothie and Thunderbird, and George Aldrich’s Noblers were hard for most fliers to resist. Stunt was becoming Precision Aerobatics. Red was more in favor of the high speed, fast and furious type of Stunt flying and didn’t make the transition to the flapped machines. He confided in me much later that the change in airplane and pattern style is why he retired from Stunt flying competition, and from the hobby eventually.
   Still, in 1954 Red made one last significant contribution with his Stunt Wing. This design featured a wide constant chord section to which the elevator was hinged and the engine pod was attached. Outboard of this section were tapered panels culminating in beautifully shaped, round wingtips. This design featured a ½ inch square spar, which was doubled near the center section to be ½ inch by 1 inch wide. The ribs were cut to allow them to slide onto the spar and into their final position. Larry Scarinzi originally developed this type of construction and he continued to use it in many of his designs over the years.
   The Stunt Wing in its initial form had a shorter nose than the final version, and it was originally named “Mister Completely.” It was finished in this form with dyed green silk and a clear fuselage section. After one test flight the ship proved to be too sensitive. Red added a significant amount of length to the nose and repainted the ship in all black with white AMA numbers. That’s the form in which it was published in Model Airplane News in March of 1955.
   With this ship Red won the Stunt event at the 1954 Mirror Meet that was contested at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, New York. This was a huge meet that was sponsored by the Daily Mirror newspaper, and it featured a special pattern that took two flights to complete. There were many very challenging maneuvers in this pattern such as the “Bolo Wingover,” in which the model had to complete eight loops while at the same time performing a wingover. Neat!
   A bonus of 50 points was awarded if the pilot could execute a perfect spot landing. Red flew very well, but needed the 50-point bonus to insure his win. Larry set a wooden line reel at the edge of the circle and told the judges that Red would use that reel as his “spot.” It was a very windy day, and as Red completed his flight, the engine quit as the model was passing over the reel. Red immediately put the ship into a vertical climb, and then made an abrupt “U-Turn” into a vertical dive and the spinner hit the reel within a half-inch of dead center. The airplane bounced up vertically, flattened out into a horizontal position and Red then jiggled the handle to make the model flutter down to the ground, with the engine landing dead center over the reel. The reel even had a distinct dent in it from the spinner impact. The judges awarded him the full 50 bonus points and he won not only the contest, but also a Grumman aluminum canoe! At that same meet Ernie Babcock won a full-Scale Ercoupe as his prize! Why can’t we have prizes like that anymore?
   Within a year, Larry used the basic plan form of the Stunt Wing to design his very high performance Greased Lightning combat ship.
   Red quit flying long before I came of age and got serious about it. I got to watch him fly a lot, but was too young to really appreciate his legendary talent. After he quit competition flying, he worked for my Dad for many years as a machinist, and even lived with my family off and on. In fact, we once shared a room. I can remember countless modeling conversations with Red in the dark before we each drifted off to sleep.
   Many years later, as I was learning the machinist’s trade, Red was assigned by my dad as my mentor. He was as gifted with metal as he was with balsa, and taught me many things. My Father had taught Red the basics of machining and machine design, but the type of talent Red had was a gift from God, and he was considered by Dad as a genius. There was a genuine bond between them that transcends words.
   Around 1967 I was already on the road to flying serious competition Stunt, and had produced my first really pretty Stunt ship. It was a scratch-built Nobler that sported a candy apple red paint job. I had spent a whole year building and finishing that ship, and it was my pride and joy.
   Although Red had been away from modeling for several years at that time, we still talked about flying and building on a daily basis at work. One evening I asked him to come to the field with me to watch my pattern. He was impressed with my progress, and made a few suggestions for further improvement. I questioned the trim of the plane, and asked Red to fly it and evaluate it.
   Once in the air, Red’s natural talent was apparent. He flew that Nobler to its very limits, and with a smoothness that was amazing. He kept flying maneuvers with the Nobler until the fuel ran out. Unfortunately, the engine quit while the ship was inverted. Red was used to models that were extremely light and agile and could be flipped over quickly whenever that happened. The Nobler wouldn’t do that! The results were predictable; the ship stalled half way through the recovery and fell in towards him. He couldn’t run fast enough to save it, and the ship shattered nearly at his feet.
   I knew instantly that Red would feel guilty for crashing my best plane, and I remember feeling so bad for him because of that. I tried to console him, but he was devastated. He knew how much that plane meant to me. It was a defining moment in our friendship. I was trying to make him feel better, and he was trying to apologize for crashing my ship. Red insisted on trying to fix it, but it was damaged beyond repair. He tried, however, and I learned lots of valuable woodworking lessons by watching him try to fix the ship. To my knowledge, he never again picked up a handle.
   Some years later, around 1970, Red and my Brother, Jimmy, got involved with off-road motorcycles. I had been riding for a couple of years at that time. I had just bought a brand new Norton 750 Commando, and took a ride to Red’s house in late November. Red lived in rural Doylestown, Pennsylvania and his area was surrounded with lots of open fields and forests.
   We went to an area where they had laid out a basically circular scramble course. Part of the course was in a field, and part ran through some woods. My Brother was riding small displacement Honda, and Red had a brand new BSA Victor 441 “Thumper” (single cylinder bike). I watched for a while as they charged around the course, and then Red asked me if I would like to take a stab at it with his BSA. The natural competitor in me came out as I climbed aboard the Victor; I really wanted to impress them both with my riding skills.
   In riding motorcycles - just as in any other motor-skill sport - you rely on your conditioned reflexes to do the work for you. My Norton had a shift pattern of “one up, three down” (In this pattern you put your toe under the shift lever and raise it to put the bike in first gear, and then you push down on the lever as you ascend through the gears), but Red’s ride was just the opposite with a “one down, three up” pattern. When I got charging through the woods, I forgot the pattern, and my reflexes took over with predictable results.
   I was really moving; much faster than I should have been going for my first off-road experience. I hit the wrong gear on my third lap of the course, and instantly found myself flying through the air at about 40 MPH. The flight was pretty good, but the landing was harsh! My right knee smacked into a large boulder and the pain was incredible. I looked back for the bike, which had taken a different path but with similar results. It ran into a tree and was badly banged up. The front forks were bent back at a severe angle and the tank was dented. Remember, this was a brand new bike for Red, and I thought he was going to kill me.
   Red and Jimmy arrived on the scene, and were relieved to see me still conscious and breathing (at least I think they were . . .). Then Red went to get his bike. Instead of being angry, Red started to genuinely laugh out loud. I asked him why he wasn’t mad, and he said that he had felt guilty since crashing my Nobler and that now we were even! He wedged the forks between two trees and bent them back semi-straight, hopped on the bike and roared off with a huge smile. Later, they picked me up and placed me on the Norton and pointed me towards home. I was in terrific pain throughout the long cold ride, but I was also smiling, because Red was finally off the hook for pranging the Nobler.
   Red continued to ride for sport, and even raced a little, but my brother really became proficient at Enduro riding, winning many titles in the next ten years or so. He raced with the famous Jack Penton of Penton Motorcycle fame, and was never badly hurt. He retired from racing in the late 1980s but still rides a lot on the road. 
   In 1973 Red was seriously injured in an automobile accident. The car in which he was riding as a passenger hit a bridge abutment head on. As a result of the accident Red was paralyzed from the waist down, and less than a year later he died.
   Red will always be alive in my mind as one of the most talented, creative and fun-loving people I have ever met. I still miss him dearly.

Larry

Where Red had the cool of a Steve McQueen, Larry had (and still has) the comic timing and facial expressions of a Buddy Hackett or Jerry Lewis, and the complete general zaniness of a Robin Williams. You never knew what he would do or say next, but you certainly didn’t want to miss it!
   I guess I looked forward to seeing Larry most. Because Red worked for my dad, I got to see him a lot on a regular basis, and so I guess I took that for granted.
   Thursday nights were what I lived for in the 1950s. That was club-meeting night for the Union Model Airplane Club. Our late spring, summer, and early fall meetings were held at the flying field, and if you missed one, you missed an opportunity to be entertained, amazed and even instructed by Larry.
   Virtually every week Larry would show up with a new creation; a new stunt or combat model that was both stunning to behold for its aesthetic beauty, and ultra-exciting to watch in flight. Sometimes it was hard to tell Larry’s stunters from his combat models, because the terminal velocity of either type was usually about the same. Larry liked - and still does like - fast, tight turning models.
   A complete rundown on all of the models that Larry produced over those years would fill this journal to overflowing, but there were a few that stick out in my mind as milestones. Among these was his aforementioned Greased Lightning. If you were to look at one of Larry’s “Greasers” today, you might mistake it for one of the many FAI Combat models that are winning in world competition. The only readily noticeable differences would be that the engine is mounted upright in the Greaser, and the flawless silk and dope finish would put the clear plastic film finishes of today’s model to complete shame.
   Most of Larry’s combat models were not built for competition; he had a few “beaters” that were used for that purpose. The models he showcased at the field on Thursday nights were pieces of flying research art. Larry’s models were fast. And by fast I don’t mean just normal fast. There were several members of the Union club that were very accomplished modelers, and they had ships that could certainly travel around the circle quickly. But when Larry fired one of his up and it was launched, all of the others seemed slow by comparison with speed that seems rivaled only by today’s modern combat models. Larry was and is an engine genius, and could make lots of horsepower where others could not.
   Among Larry’s interests in modeling was a genuine fascination with 1/2A - and smaller - models. He produced many designs for the diminutive power plants that were published in the various magazines. Among my favorites was his Queen Bee biplane that was designed around the, then new, Cox Pee Wee .020 engine. This was a model that could be flown on fairly short lines and still produce incredible aerobatic performance. Larry even flew it on lines so short that he could hold the handle above his head and perform wing-unders that just barely missed his feet!
   Each year the Union club participated in a town wide gala called the Union Panorama. It was a showcase for all sorts of talent, and it went on for several hours on the stage of the Union High School. The Union Model Airplane Club put on a show of rubber powered ROG models that flew out over the audience and then landed back on the stage. I was privileged to have been one of the youngsters who flew the ROG models on a couple of occasions. The finale of the show was a flight by Larry with the Queen Bee. It was loud in that auditorium, and it was fast, and Larry was the consummate showman with the model. He would do a few loops and figure eights being very careful not to hit the overhead curtain, and then he would walk forward and fly the model down into the orchestra pit! One surprised man in the front row was seen pulling in his chin to avoid being hit by Larry’s speeding ship. Great sport! No one was ever hit, however, and his performance was always the most talked about “act” in the entire show.
   I was just really getting started flying control line in those days, but I knew that I wanted to fly like Larry and Red. My father and I built a Ringmaster and put one of the then new and powerful Johnson .35 engines in it. Man did it move! I wanted desperately to show off my newfound skills with this ship, and challenged Larry to a combat match. Please understand that this was exactly like a driver who has just received his learner’s permit challenging Mario Andretti to a race at Indy. Larry passed on the challenge at first, but I just kept on bugging him about it, and in front of the other club members. Eventually they started kidding him, saying that he was scared of me. We all started chanting “Chicken Scarinzi, Chicken Scarinzi” and finally he relented and said OK to the match.
   Larry would also fly a Ringmaster. He built a really pretty one that was finished in transparent yellow with blue and red trim. This ship was actually built to teach his wife, Ginger, how to fly. We put on the streamers and fired the models up. Larry didn’t even try to show me up, but instead let me make a few passes at his streamer. He made sure to avoid my attempts at the last second to be sure that I didn’t actually cut his streamer and have a chance to be declared the winner; that would be embarrassing!
   We flew around level (I hadn’t learned to fly inverted yet!) for a while, and I found myself on the opposite side of the circle to where Larry’s plane was flying. I decided to be daring and did a wingover to Larry’s side of the circle, and as luck would have it, Larry wasn’t expecting that from me at all. I dove right through his streamer and got my very first “cut” in combat. Larry was shocked, and everyone around the circle was laughing hysterically. Then his engine quit and he landed, followed shortly by me. I had “beaten” Larry Scarinzi at a club meeting in front of everyone. I was happy, but also pretty scared. What would Larry say?
   Well, he’s a great guy, and certainly he could have easily overwhelmed me with his skill during our match, and I would not have had a chance. He took it very easy on me indeed. He was laughing right along with everyone else after the match, feigning humiliation, and putting on a great show of it. Then he asked for a rematch! I said “no way.” He started chanting “Chicken Hunt, Chicken Hunt.” And to this day he almost always greets me with “Chicken Hunt.” It’s a title I wear proudly. He made a young boy’s entire year with that fun match, and it is still a vivid memory for me. We laugh about it often.
   Even Larry doesn’t know this next bit. It was at the Union club field in the summer of 1958 when I first became aware of competition Control Line Aerobatics and what it entailed. Larry was practicing for an upcoming stunt meet with his Gay Devil design, and I just happened to be walking past the circle upwind of his maneuvers. Until that moment I had never actually studied a stunt pattern. For some reason I stopped walking and just watched Larry fly. I stayed there for three or four complete flights, mesmerized by the beauty of the maneuvers being scribed in the air before me. It was the first time I realized that this could be done with exacting precision, and I think it was at that moment I realized for the first time that I eventually wanted to become a stunt flier.
   Most of Larry’s stunters were flapless designs that really moved. One in particular that I remember as being both awe inspiring and intimidating at the same time was his Grey Ghost. This model was large for the time, and featured a silk covered wing that was built using the ½ inch square main spar construction that he favored. The model was so fast - and Larry flew it so tight to 45 degrees - that the wing would bend noticeably during maneuvers. In fact it bent a lot! I was always scared that the ship would someday simply explode during a set of loops. It never did, however.
   Larry’s father had owned and operated a bicycle shop in Summit, New Jersey, and Larry often worked there as a young man. He went on to become an engineer for Lockheed, Bell Labs, Bendix and the Singer Corporation, but eventually bought and operated a bicycle shop, just like his dad did. It was a very successful venture for Larry and his family, and he became more and more involved with that industry. In fact, he stopped flying model airplanes for several years while he was building up the bicycle shop.
   He came to the 1992 Nats in Chicopee, Massachusetts, and became energized to fly again. Larry sold his bicycle shop in 1996 and retired. As this is being written, he’s still flying fast, tight turning models, is still just a zany as he ever was, and is most certainly the youngest spirit that I know. He and Ginger make the trek each year to the Vintage Stunt Championships in Tucson, Arizona, and meander across the country as they go, visiting many old modeling friends. I have the feeling that he will go on forever, and that makes me smile - a lot.

Memories, memories... Sadly, Larry passed away last year (2023), but his legend - and Red's - will live on in Stunt Lore forever.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2024, 07:27:19 AM »
Thank you Bob for your reply!

I've sent you a PM!

One more thing: Does the Kodak Slide n' Scan have a USB interface so the end result goes to the PC? Or does it save to a thumb drive, or either?

Andre

Hi Andre:

It does have a USB interface, and that's how the unit is powered up as well. It takes an SD card that can be removed and put into the slot in the back of the computer for file transfer as well.

To answer your PM question, my son, Robby got mine from Amazon. Perhaps that's why the prices you saw for this unit were somewhat higher.

I love this thing, but it will be a time consumer...

Bob

Online Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 11:43:32 AM »
Bob, you are an excellent writer.   I enjoy reading your stories.   I am sure most all of us have stories to tell, but are not able to present them as you do.   I experienced some interesting things in my modeling adventure.

I was wondering, does your machine convert B/W pictures to color?  Some of your pictures are in the era of B/W.

Thank you for sharing.

Rusty

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 12:28:00 PM »
Bob, you are an excellent writer.   I enjoy reading your stories.   I am sure most all of us have stories to tell, but are not able to present them as you do.   I experienced some interesting things in my modeling adventure.

I was wondering, does your machine convert B/W pictures to color?  Some of your pictures are in the era of B/W.

Thank you for sharing.

Rusty

Hi Rusty:

Thanks for the kudos on my writing; I guess my time as an editor paid off to a degree...

No, my slide/film scanner does not convert B&W to color. My father was - among many other things - an avid photographer, and he was taking color slides as early as the late 1940s, so all the ones that I've posted to date were from slides that dad took.

Later - Bob

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 12:53:44 PM »
Great stuff Bob!

The gentlemen in the picture behind Red and Ginger looks awfully like a guy that used to fly Quickie around here(nj). Tom Schaefer help me out here, George ?

TL
AMA 13001

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 01:12:04 PM »
Okay, here's the first trip down memory lane for today. This time it's my Stunt mentor, flying buddy, Ping Pong partner, and Best Man at my wedding, Bill Simons.

In these photos Bill is holding his P-39 Airacobra design. It was published in Flying Models magazine and was Bill's first published work. These photos were taken at the Union Model Airplane Club field. The Airacobra featured a Foam Flite (Mike and Arnie Stott) foam core wing, and it was powered by a Fox 35. It was a great flyer and with it Bill won several East Coast contests. The photos are circa 1967.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2024, 01:19:40 PM »
While we are showcasing Bill Simons, I'm posting a couple of photos that were taken in late 1965 (or maybe early 1966...) at the Garden State Circle Burner's field in Lincoln Park, NJ. One is of Bill holding his Lew McFarland designed Shark 45 and the other one is of Bill's Nobler (the blue and gold trimmed plane), his Shark 45, Gene Schaffer's black stunt model (un-named, like a lot of his stuff...), and my grody looking red Chief (don't laugh; it flew very well!).

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 01:38:20 PM »
Up next is Harold Price! Harold was one of the most creative and talented people I've ever known; he was also one of the grumpiest people I've ever known! All kidding aside, Harold was an innovator of the first degree, and his retract-equipped Crusade design was his top achievement. It was beautiful, light, and a great flyer.

I used to travel to contests with Harold, and I learned a lot from him, and for some reason he wasn't grumpy to me.

The photos presented here were taken at the Garden State Circle Burner's field around 1965 or '66. He's demonstrating how the retracts worked in the Crusader.

Enjoy -Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »
Here's another photo of Harold Price that was taken at a contest that was held at Willet's Point, New York. For you baseball fans, that was to soon become the site of Shea Stadium; the Mets home field.

The plane is Harold's Ranger, which was actually just a re-finished Valkyrie.  I'm pretty certain that this one was taken in 1965.

I'm throwing in another photo of Harold with one of his Crusaders. This one did not feature retracts.

More to come... - Bob

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 02:02:37 PM »
Hi Bob
THANKS for all the cool pix!  Noticed in the background below Harold's trike gear Crusader there is... Bill Suarez' P-38?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 02:23:03 PM »
Hi Denny:

Funny you should ask about Bill's P-38... Because that's the next photo up! Not sure who the gentleman is with the olive drab model, but that's Bill with his famous red one. Again taken at the Garden State Circle Burner's field in late 1965 I'm pretty sure. Bill was the top Senior flier in our area in that era. An amazing talent.

More to come yet... - Bob

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:49:32 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2024, 03:01:16 PM »
   Some time around 1966-1967 I remember seeing Harold Price flying his Crusader with the retractable gear at a contest at Anacostia NAS ( or was it Bolling AFB? ) just outside of Washington, DC. I thought this was amazing! When the airplane was flying downwind you could see the gear come partially down but would go back up on the upwind side. If I remember correctly there was a small funnel that caught the air to retract the gear. I'm sure Bob can explain this further on how the gear system worked. This 15 year old kid was very impressed!

Dick Tyndall

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2024, 05:45:58 PM »
Here's one more. This time it's Bob Lampione with his semi-scale Mustang. Bob was Gene Schaffer's flying buddy in those days, and he learned quickly from Gene. Just three years later, in 1969, Bob would win the Nats flying his gorgeous Sabre Jet stunter. He was a superb finisher right from the start.

This photo was taken at the 1966 fall meet at Garden State Circle Burners (but it might have been 1965... The years just seem to blend in my mind these days).

More to come - Bob

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2024, 06:34:03 PM »
 Bob, great photos. The stories are great and I wish that Red was still active when I became a UMAC member in 1965.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2024, 07:58:46 PM »
Hi Denny:

Funny you should ask about Bill's P-38... Because that's the next photo up! Not sure who the gentleman is with the olive drab model, but that's Bill with his famous red one. Again taken at the Garden State Circle Burner's field in late 1965 I'm pretty sure. Bill was the top Senior flier in our area in that era. An amazing talent.

More to come yet... - Bob

Man, they've got a LOT of rudder offset in those P-38's! Got any shots of Bill's F-4 Phantom? One of my all time favorite designs.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2024, 11:39:52 PM »
Amazing the way the colours have held .

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2024, 05:36:21 AM »
Amazing the way the colours have held .

Yeah, Matt, that amazed me as well. The slides were kept in a box and away from heat and sunlight. Even most of the much older ones have held up extremely well. I'm so thankful that I can finally archive these treasures and share them. This stuff belongs to the event and the fliers. Let's all redouble our efforts to chronicle the rich past of the Stunt event in photos and stories. I've said it many times in the past; each of us needs to take up the loom and fill in the fabric of the history of the event before it's too late. No one cares about the prose used, nor the quality of the photos presented; all that matters is preservation... Please, everyone write something that you remember about the models and especially the people who flew/fly Stunt in your area, and then post it here.

To your point, Matt, here is a photo that was taken in the late 1940s or very early 1950s of some RC action. My father was also into early RC flying and he was close friends and clubmates with Leon Shulman and Fran McElwee; two legendary modelers. The second photo was taken in our living room in Union, New Jersey during an early RC club meeting. The colors are striking.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2024, 05:51:34 AM »
You guys just knew this was coming... Naturally, my father took a lot of photos of me when I was young. I'm going to post a few of those here, even though it pains me to see how old I've become, and how much hair I've lost over the years.

This first photo was taken by a friend of my father's when he was starting his Consolidated Wow at the Doylestown, PA airport, which he managed. That's me holding it. This photo was taken around 1960. Note the Stearman on the ramp in the background. I used to fly in that airplane with the legendary air show pilot, "Big Ed" Mahler. And, Ed, Red Reinhardt, my brother, and I used to shoot 22 caliber rifles in that large hangar in the winter. I mowed tie-downs for fifty cents a piece in the summer to make some money, while keeping my eye open for any air taxi flights that were due to leave. When there was an empty seat on those flights (usually with our Tri-Pacer or our Bonanza), Dad would let me go along and then I'd get to fly the plane back to Doylestown. Man, did I have a great childhood!   

More to come - Bob

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:48:05 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2024, 06:29:33 AM »
I had two Veco Mustang's in the 1960s. Here's a couple of photos of the first one. I received the kit for this model for Christmas in 1963. Just as I was starting to build it I had a terrible sled riding accident which almost cost me my right leg. While home recuperating from the surgeries I hobbled down to our basement shop to carve and shape the nose block into the spinner. The top block piece of balsa was hard to carve, and I put too much pressure while pulling the knife towards me. The knife suddenly hit a soft spot and accelerated towards the hand that was holding the fuselage. The knife exited the block at speed and went right into my left wrist, cutting a neat inch and a half-long slit. I was due to go to the doctors for a check up on my leg later that day, so I just pulled the wound closed with bandages and figured he would take a look at it during my office visit. Well, after examining my leg he did unwrap the bandages and then told his receptionist to hold his afternoon appointments. He had to put eight stitches in the wrist, and then looked at my mother and said, "Mrs. Hunt, your son is accident prone."

I built that Mustang the winter before learning the pattern, and it flew pretty well, but it had a small wing and square maneuvers were not its strong suit. It did teach me a lot of lessons, however, especially about carving...

Bob
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:57:05 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2024, 06:48:41 AM »
Continuing the story of my Mustangs... Several years after having built my first Veco Mustang, I constructed a second one. By that time I had learned a bunch more about building, and especially about building light airplanes, The second Mustang was built in 1969, with intentions of using it in AMA Stunt competition. It flew much better than my first Mustang, but it was still just a bit weak on tight cornering ability; it did great round maneuvers, however.

In 1970 I received a phone call from John Miske. John had come up with the idea to hold an "Old Tyme Stunt" event at the Garden State Circle Burners field, and asked me if I would come and fly in the contest. The rules he instituted (and which most Old Time Stunt events still adhere to when it comes to age eligibility) stated that the model had to be kitted or published in a magazine prior to 1953. I told him I didn't have a model that would comply to those rules. "Yes you do," he told me, "Your Veco Mustang was kitted in 1952." I did not know that... So, I did enter that first OTS contest and had to take a 10-point hit because my model was fitted with flaps. I had a great battle with John D'Ottavio - who flew a non-flapped All American - and just edged him out for the win. I had no idea that John Miske's whim of an event would go on to be so popular. Having won the first one is something I now cherish.

The Mustang I used in that first OTS event was powered by a Fox .35 and was finished with Aero Gloss dope. I've always loved the looks of the Mustang (who doesn't...), and many years later I designed what I call a "What it should have looked like scale" version, which was built by Mike Palko and Dan Banjock. I need to build one of those for myself someday, but with my current love for twins, it may have to be an F-82 Twin Mustang! Here are some photos of my 1970 OTS Mustang.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:49:31 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2024, 07:25:50 AM »
The Mustang I used in that first OTS event was powered by a Fox .35 and was finished with Aero Gloss dope.
The lost art of cockpit detail.  I almost long for the old appearance rules....almost.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2024, 08:12:00 AM »
This is really good stuff Bob.
Thanks

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2024, 08:15:58 AM »
Well, Ken, your comment dovetails nicely into my next photo. I had the thought to just skip this one, as it was by far not the best looking airplane I had produced in that period. But, it was a significant one for me. I had two Chiefs, but could only find slides depicting the second one that I built. I guess I was in a hurry to fly it because I didn't install a canopy, or any paint detailing to speak of. It was light at 32 ounces, however, and it really flew quite well. It was the first airplane that I ever entered in a Stunt contest, and with it I won the 1966 Far Hills New Jersey contest in the Senior division. It was 1965 at my club dust-bowl field in Dumont, New Jersey, and while I was wiping it down from a flight, that I heard a voice behind me say "Looks like someone here wants to be a Stunt flier." That someone was Bill Simons. Bill was at that time one of the top three Stunt fliers on the East Coast, and certainly the best one in New Jersey at the time. I was shocked when he offered to help me, and then he gave me a matchbook cover with his phone number on it. I recorded that phone number in several places just to be sure I'd never lose it. I still remember it by heart: PO-8-5806. (Don't bother calling that number; Bill moved from that location many years ago, and, I'm sad to report, passed away several years ago.) Bill was good to his word and we became inseparable flying and building buddies. Without Bill's help and guidance I'm sure I would never have achieved any of things I did in the years after that in the Stunt event. Thanks, Bill, and enjoy the competition in Heaven...

Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2024, 08:27:17 AM »
This is really good stuff Bob.
Thanks

Glad you are enjoying the trip down memory lane, John!  #^ I know a lot of this is a bit self serving, but I just wanted to share my history and the history of Stunt on the East Coast in the 1950s and 1960s as best I could through these old photographs. I'll post a couple more about some of my old planes and then get back to highlighting some other flier's planes and stories.

To that end, here's a photo of the plane with which I learned to fly the pattern. It was a J. Roberts company, Swift. And, again, I'll paste in here a segment of my autobiography that tells the story of that airplane and the day I flew my first pattern. Here goes...

We moved from Pennsylvania to Bergen County, New Jersey in 1962. My father had received an offer to work for the Speedry Corporation at their facility in Queens, New York. He decided to live in northern New Jersey and commute, rather than moving into the city.
   My parents bought a beautiful house in Woodcliff Lake, which is situated in the very upscale portion of Bergen County, New Jersey. That house had a huge basement and a large two car garage; there was plenty of room in which to set up a nice size shop, and I did that almost immediately upon our move there in the fall of 1962.
   The first model I built in that shop was a J. Roberts Swift. The Swift was one of three profile designs produced by by the J. Roberts company that shared a wing and tail. There were two Jet styled, trike gear models in that series (Sabre and Cobra) and one - the Swift - that resembled a 1930s two open cockpit, taildragger sport plane. The Swift had a wingspan of about 42 inches, and it was not fitted with flaps. The double taper wing was built round a center piece that fit into slots in the leading edge pieces and the trailing edge pieces and set the tapers, and it also acted as the bellcrank mount. The fuselage was routed round on the edges and featured a slotted front end that accepted the pre-made solid wood motor mount. The stabilizer and the elevator were inletted to accept a pre-made hinge system. If you ever built a Jim Walker-designed Firecat, you will get the idea; it was very prefabricated and extremely easy to build. The Swift also had removable wing-mounted landing gear.
   I finished the Swift in short order and powered it with a Fox .19. It flew very well and required no tweaks to get the wing level; a testament to its interlocking construction techniques I’m sure.
   With the Swift I learned to do squares and most of the double round maneuvers. I flew it a lot, and felt I was steadily improving, but the thought to be able to do the whole pattern recognizably seemed daunting at best.
   One day my mother dropped me off at the Union Model Airplane Club field. At that time we lived about 35 minutes north of Union, and I don’t remember why Mom drove me all the way down there. Perhaps she was visiting one of our old neighbors.
   There were three circles at the Union field, and one of them had a fully paved concrete circle. That circle was used by the Experts. When I got there one of the top Senior class fliers in the region, Carl Wahlberg was busy practicing on the concrete “donut” with his original design, Blackhawk Stunt model. I had a stooge release system with me, and I had no wish to bother or annoy Carl while he was doing some serious pattern practice. I went over to the adjacent grass circle and settled into my regimin of practicing wingovers, loops, and tortured squares.
   I flew a few flights and then, when I was refueling the Swift for one more sortie, I heard a voice saying hello behind me. I turned to see Carl walking up towards my pit area. I was pretty sure I had done something to @#$% him off. Hey, why else would this local area Stunt Star be calling on me?
   Carl then asked me why I wasn’t flying the pattern. A bit taken back, I answered that I didn’t actually know all the maneuvers in the pattern. “Yes you do,” he said, and then explained to me that he had been watching me fly and observed that I knew all the elements of the pattern but I just had to connected them in the correct order in which to perform the schedule.
   I told Carl that I didn’t think the Swift would actually do all the maneuvers. He asked me if he could fly it. Hey, when someone like that asks you for a flight on your ship, you quickly fuel it up and get it ready to go before he changes his mind!
   Carl told me to launch the Swift and then join him in the center of the circle. I did that and took a seat in a spot where I could easily watch the maneuvers. Carl proceeded to fly a gorgeous pattern with the Swift, and he told me while he was flying that I had a perfect model with which to learn the pattern. He sure made it look good, and he made it look easy.
   After he landed he told me that I was going to fly the entire pattern on my next flight. After having seen the ease with which he flew the Swift through all the maneuvers, it seemed reasonable. He gave me a few pointers on what to do, and how to stand for some of the more difficult maneuvers, and then it was time for me to jump in the deep end.
   Carl launched the plane, and then came out to the center of the circle to coach me. I remember that some of the maneuvers were a bit ragged, but I got through them all safely. When I landed we both celebrated my first complete pattern. I never did see Carl again after that day, and I often wondered what happened to him; he just dropped out of the East Coast Stunt scene. I still think about that day often and wonder what my flying career might have been like had Carl not come over to help and coach me. I’m pretty sure I owe him a lot!
   Anyway, after that day it was “Katy Bar the Door!” I started going to my local field every flyable day from that point on, and I put hundreds of patterns on that Swift. In fact, the pattern was all I flew from that point on; sport flying was a thing of the past for me.
   I flew in wind, calm, and rain; I was on a mission to perfect the pattern. I still had no plans to actually fly in competition someday; I figured I’d never be at that level. Just flying the pattern became the most joyful thing in my life.
   I wore out that Swift, and at the end it was just too oil soaked to fly well. So, I built another one! And I eventually wore that one out too. By that time I had logged hundreds of patterns in practice and in all type of conditions, and I felt I would soon be ready for a built-up Stunt model.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2024, 08:44:36 AM »
Just a couple more of me, I promise!

After having met Bill Simons in 1965, and flying my Chief the next season with him as my coach, I decided to build a "real" Stunt model.. This seems like an appropriate place to insert some of the things I wrote about Bill in my unfinished (and maybe never to be finished...) autobiography. It details the history behind my Red Nobler (which, by the way was eventually crashed by Red Reinhardt!). So, this next bit is dedicated with sincere appreciation and admiration of Bill Simons...

In the mid 1960s on the East Coast there were a number of excellent Stunt fliers, and predictably the local and regional meets were hotly contested. In fact, there were so many fliers in those days that it was common for the contest to start at 8 AM and run to dark and the competitors would only get one flight each! Among the notable Open class fliers of the era in that region were John D’Ottavio, Harold Price, Ron Pavloer, Bob Lampione, Dave Cook, Bobby Miller, Bill Simons, and the legendary Gene Schaffer. While Gene won the lion’s share of the contest on the East Coast in those days, there were some who gave him a real run for his money at times. Chief among those fliers in my mind was Bill Simons.
   Bill lived in Northvale, New Jersey, a town that was about ten miles from my parent’s home in Woodcliff Lake. I got to watch Bill fly at the local meets and always marveled at the quality of the construction and finish of his models, and his flying. He was consistently good and always placed highly at contests, if he didn’t outright win.
One day in 1964 he showed up at my club field in Westwood, New Jersey with his gorgeous, original Aztec Stunter. He didn’t know me from Adam at that point as I had not even thought about competing. I was still honing my pattern skills with the J. Roberts Swift profile. Apparently he had been out practicing at a “secret” field and just decided to stop by and see what was going on at our field. Someone asked Bill to fly a demo flight for us and he got the Aztec out of his car. It was just beautiful, and everyone at the field was afraid to even launch it. No one wanted to chance putting a ding in that piece of flying artwork. I wasn’t that shy. I offered to launch for Bill and he proceeded to put in a spectacular pattern for us. After that I didn’t see Bill for about a year.
        In the interim I had finished and was flying the red Chief I wrote about earlier. I had joined a club that had permission to fly on two ball fields on alternating weekends in Dumont, New Jersey. At that point I was flying the pattern pretty well, but I still had no thought to actually enter a contest.
One day I had just finished a full pattern flight with the Chief and was busy wiping it off in the dusty pit area. In fact, the whole field was sort of a dust bowl. That’s when I heard a voice behind me say, “Looks like someone here wants to be a Stunt flier.” I recognized the voice; it was Bill Simons. He had stopped by - again after a practice session at his “secret” field - and had watched my pattern. We started talking and he said that if I had any questions he’d be happy to help me. Well, I must have scared him a bit as I leaped at the chance to learn from this talented man. He answered all the questions I had then, and gave me his phone number on the back of a pack of matches. I kept that match book for years in my wallet so I wouldn’t forget his number. I even wrote it down in several places at home so I’d be sure to always have it; PO8-5806; I’ll take that number to my grave…
I waited a whole day to call him. I guess I convinced him that I was serious because he invited me to come over to his house the next day for a visit. Needless to say, I didn’t get too much sleep that night.
        When I arrived at his house the next day he introduced me to his wife, Tootie. She was a trip, and I could write an entire book about her. Just ask Les McDonald about Tootie sometime; he could write a book too. Don’t get me wrong; she was great, just…unusual. Then Bill led me to his upstairs workshop, which was actually a converted bedroom. On the bench were all the parts for his newest Stunt model. It was a jet styled design, and the parts were arranged perfectly in pristine beauty. I mean, man! Those parts looked absolutely perfect. There were no dings, dents, glue spots, nothing, just perfectly shaped and sanded balsa. Pure artwork.
I decided right then and there that I wanted to build like that, and told Bill as much while I gushed over those parts and over all the beautiful models that were hanging on his workshop wall. I guess he sensed that I was serious because he invited me to learn from him. How great was that, Bill Simons, one of the East Coast elite Stunt fliers took me on as his student. Obviously one of the best days of my young life; I had a mentor!
        Bill and I started flying together almost immediately. He was a letter carrier for the Closter, New Jersey Post Office and he worked a very early shift, which meant that he got home in the early afternoon. I started meeting him at his house on just about every good weather flying day and we’d go through what became a serious ritual; it was essential that we have a cup of coffee before heading for the field. At that time I was not a coffee drinker, but I quickly became one at Bill’s insistence. Really, he called it “Stunt Flier Coffee” and we had to have a cup before we could leave for the field. Hey, I’m not kidding; coffee was an almost religious experience for Bill, and I was indoctrinated into that cult. I figured if I didn’t drink the coffee I wouldn’t get any help at the field! And, I remain a coffee drinker to this day.
        I finally got to see and fly on Bill’s “Secret Practice Field.” Actually it was the commons that surrounded the Tenafly High School, and I don’t think Bill had official permission to fly there; but no one ever complained; it was a different world. It was a wide open field with very little to stir up turbulence. I started out my sessions with Bill flying my hideous red Chief. Bill was at that time flying one of his “Simonized” Noblers (more about that later…). Bill’s stunter weighed 39 ounces and was powered by a Fox .35. And, like all of Bill’s airplanes, it was gorgeous. The Chief, as I wrote above was a deceptively good flying ship; it looked like a barge. After a few sessions - and lots of shape and intersection coaching (the bottoms were already good thanks to the hundreds of flights with the Swift…) - Bill suggested that I should take a flight on his Nobler. Yeah, right; I’m going to fly that piece of aerobatic art. Bill persisted. He told me that he’d been watching me very closely and felt that I already had the idea of how to fly a quality pattern. He just thought putting a light and well-trimmed (read that, straight…) airplane in my hands might encourage me to build a better airplane. He did at the last minute remind me that this was his current competition plane. But he also told me that I was ready for an airplane of this caliber and to relax and have fun with it.
        Well, the ensuing flight was an epiphany. As soon as the Nobler broke ground I could feel the difference between my Chief and a true quality airplane. I flew a few level laps just doing mild climbs and dives to get used to the silky feel, and then Bill broke the spell by yelling out to me to do the pattern. I did not do the entire pattern on that flight with the Nobler, but I did a bunch of maneuvers and they were all effortless. I had no idea that a Stunt model could feel like that. I wanted one, right away!
Then Bill suggested that I enter my first CL Stunt competition at the upcoming Bayshore, Long Island contest. The thought of flying in a contest was about the farthest thing from my mind. In fact, I didn’t think I’d ever actually fly in competition; I just loved flying. And the thought of showing up with that ugly red Chief when all the other fliers would have polished beauties was also something I wasn’t looking forward to. Bill persisted and I did indeed enter my first Stunt contest. No, I didn’t win, or even place, but I did get through my flights and got pattern points each time, and, I didn’t crash. And, amazingly, there were a number of models entered that were pretty much on par with my red Chief in the looks department, so I didn’t feel too embarrassed.
        As building season approached, Bill suggested to me that I should build one of his “Simonized” Noblers. He had built a number of Noblers and had developed ways to make them lighter, straighter and stronger, and much less complicated to build than the Green Box kit Nobler. He told me to take the kit ribs, spar pieces, trailing edge strips and leading edge planking from the kit box and throw everything else in the garbage can. Oh, he told me to keep the landing gear wire if I wanted fuselage mounted gear. I opted for wing gear with wheel pants, and so the gear wire followed all that die-cut kit wood into the trash. Sure glad my father didn’t find out that I threw most of that kit away… I ended up throwing away the leading edge and trailing edge planking, too, because the wood was too heavy.
        Bill’s modifications to the kit Nobler included new fuselage sides without the lightening holes aft of the wing; hollowed balsa top and bottom blocks in place of the planking over formers; 1/4-inch sheet stabilizer and elevators in place of the built-up tail assembly; a sheeted rudder in place of the ribbed one; and hollowed balsa block tips in place of the multi-part tips supplied in the kit. I had actually tried to build a Nobler from the Green Box kit a year or so before I started flying with Bill, and the results were not good. The stock kit has a lot of parts and they were engineered to fit in a kit box. With my rudimentary skills at the time I had a lot of trouble making the model look like the one on the kit box cover. It was a mess and I never finished it. With Bill’s help and modification suggestions I was confident that I could now build a real stunt ship.
        Bill did oversee the construction of my new Nobler, but he insisted that I do all the actual work. I’m very glad he insisted on that because it made me stretch my skills to achieve a good result. And, in fact, the resulting model was really pretty; it was my first really good looking, straight, and relatively light ship (it came out at 43 ounces!). And it flew good. Bill flew  it on its maiden voyage and when he landed he pronounced it ready for competition. I won a number of Senior Stunt events with that plane on the Eastern circuit in 1967, and I cannot imagine ever being able to do that without Bill Simon’s help and mentorship.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2024, 09:05:02 AM »
Okay, last one about my planes for a while, but this bit is very important to my travels in Stunt.

This one deals with the events leading up to the production of my Caprice design. I'll drop in here a segment from my Caprice book text that tells the story. This segment is dedicated to Gene Schaffer; one of the most gifted fliers and competitors I've ever known.

"Secret Moments”

In the spring of 1966, I finished my “Simonized” Nobler. Bill Simons had built about a gazillion Noblers over the years, and had found areas that he felt could benefit from some further engineering. In fact, when I bought my “Green Box” Nobler kit to start building my first real competition stunter, Bill told me to remove the wing ribs and the “D” Tube spar pieces from the kit box and throw everything else away – except the landing gear wire if I were going to build the model with the standard gear placement.
I decided that I wanted a wing gear model, so the gear wire followed almost all that high-priced, die-cut balsa into the trashcan (I did keep the leading edge and trailing edge sheeting). I’m sure glad my dad never found out that I threw away almost all of that kit!
        Bill told me to start with new 1/8-inch balsa sides – without the lightening holes that kit sides had - and new formers that didn’t protrude upward from the sides to form the basis for the aft turtle deck. He told me that I would be using carved and hollowed blocks for all of the fuselage shapes and the cowl. Ditto for the wingtips; they would each be made from two pieces of balsa block, carved and hollowed. It was clear that Bill had made a few of these and had found ways to make them stronger, faster, and easier. He told me to substitute 1⁄4 inch sheet balsa for the built-up stabilizer and elevators supplied in the kit and to make a built-up and sheeted rudder as well.
        I followed Bill’s directions to the letter, and the result was the first really pretty Stunt model that I owned. I painted it in Candy Apple Red with black and white trim; it was my pride and joy. Bill flew the first test flight and pronounced it a very good ship. I remember it weighed in at about 44 ounces, which was not too bad for a first try at a contest-finished model. I powered it with a Fox .35 Anniversary Special (the one with the gold anodizing) and a Top Flite 10 x 6 prop. With that model and Bill’s coaching, I began to fly at a competitive level – at least in the Senior Stunt division.
        There was a famous contest that was held each year in New Bedford, Massachusetts, at the New Bedford Airport, and I wanted to go. Bill Simons had a previous engagement and couldn’t make the trip. I was of driving age at that point, so I convinced my father to allow me to take the family station wagon and go alone to that meet. I would have to leave late on Saturday night, drive over two hundred miles, grab a little sleep in the car, then compete all day long and drive home on Sunday night. That he let me attempt this trip was amazing, but I think he knew how anxious I was to prove myself against all comers in my age bracket. Dad always did fully support my modeling interests.
        That drive was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my young life. It was an adventure, really. I had not gone anywhere outside of our immediate area, alone, and certainly nowhere of any distance at night in the car. There were lots of new feelings running around in my head during that trip, and I remember really liking the mystery of night driving on a secluded New England highway. In fact, I really believe that is why I  prefer long distance night driving to this day. Those who know me well also know of this penchant for leaving for home after a full day’s flying and driving through the night. They just think I’m weird.
        On that trip I learned the joys of channel surfing on AM radio to find just the right driving tune, and of course the time honored practice of singing along at the top of my lungs. (I know... I won’t quit my day job.) I also liked looking in the rear view mirror and seeing my gleaming red Nobler strapped in and waiting. That was my first hit of the gunfighter mentality. I was going into someone else’s territory to do battle. Great stuff!
        I arrived at the airport in the wee hours of Sunday morning, and almost immediately dropped into a deep sleep lying on the front seat of the car. I was exhausted. I guess I slept for about three or four hours until awakened by the sound of a model airplane engine. Someone was getting in an early practice flight.
        I got up and went into the airport to use the facilities and get a cup of coffee. When I went back outside, I saw that a number of contestants had arrived. Among them was Gene Schaffer, who had brought along his wife Sue. Gene had this absolutely gorgeous, gleaming red Firebird, out of which he pulled his latest sleek stunter. This was the model that was to inspire the Caprice design. As much as I had liked his model that I damaged in Astoria, this one was even more stunning and well proportioned.
I had gotten to know Gene a bit by this time, and had even visited him alone once at his new home in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey. I was getting braver...
        Gene asked if I would like to practice with him, and I quickly accepted. That was an honor! We were told that we couldn’t practice on the actual contest site for a while yet, but we could practice on an adjacent ball field. Trees bordered that field on one side, and it was quite tight. I wasn’t too sure that there was enough room to fly there. Gene suggested that I go first.
        In retrospect it might have been a good idea to walk the lines, with the model attached, around the circle to the tree line to insure that there was enough room. But we didn’t...
I fired up, signaled for a launch, and took off. I had made a full lap before the outside wingtip hit a branch that was overhanging the circle. I backed up as much as I could and completed the flight carefully to prevent another mishap. When I landed, I ran to inspect the ship. Only a small rip was found at the top of the last outer wing rib bay, and a small piece of scotch tape fixed it up well enough to continue flying that day. But, alas, my pristine winged weapon now had a scar. I was a bit miffed. Gene opted to wait to practice until the main contest site was opened...
        All went well that day for both of us; I won the Senior Stunt event, and Gene won in Open. As always, when Gene flew, the entire contest came to a halt to watch him. Amazing... simply amazing.
        I think Gene could tell that I was pretty tired after the contest. He suggested that I follow him on the way home, as we both took the same route for most of the way. I remember being so sleepy that I could hardly focus on the road. I know I weaved around a bunch. After about an hour on the road, Gene signaled me to pull off at an exit. He pulled into a fairly expensive-looking restaurant’s parking lot. I was on a very strict budget that weekend; in fact I was down to about five bucks!
Gene and Sue said they needed to eat and that I should join them. I started to make some lame excuse about needing to get back on the road, but Gene told me to shut up and come with them. He also said that he was buying! Wow! This was great. One of my Stunt heroes was taking me to dinner!
        Gene said that we needed to celebrate our “team” win and fairly demanded that I order a steak. It was pretty much at that moment that I knew I had been accepted into the competitive East Coast Stunt scene. In retrospect I think that his offer of dinner was also his way of apologizing for the tree strike earlier that day; I think he felt in some way at fault for that. I was starting to see through Gene’s tough, gruff exterior and was finding a kind and gentle soul there. It was the start of a very long, meaningful, and fun friendship.
My Nobler was a really good flying model, but it didn’t present or fly like Gene’s “Blackbird” (so named by me because Gene didn’t name his models in those days, and he did paint all of his models in base black for about five years). I really wanted a model that would drive through wind and turbulence as Gene’s did, and one with which I could get that great looking corner.
        I asked Gene at dinner that evening if I could have the plans for his model so I could build one. He informed me very matter-of-factly that there were no plans for the ship. He went on to tell me that all of the dimensions for his models were in his head! Not being one to take a hint, I pressed on. “Could I have those dimensions?” Gene let out a nervous laugh, popped and twitched a bit, and then looked me straight in the eye. He didn’t say anything for quite a few moments; he was very still and serene. (I later learned that when Gene was serious and focused, he could overcome the nervous condition. This was certainly the case when he flew!) Then he smiled very sincerely and said yes.
What followed was a serious discussion of my intentions. He would only give those dimensions to me if I would assure him that I was going to build the ship just as he instructed. I still get chills when I think about that discussion. I promised, of course, to follow his every direction and not make a move without consulting him.
Gene asked the waitress for a pen, ripped a section of the paper placemat, and began listing all of the dimensions on it for me. He told me what wing design to order from Foam Flite, and then he gave me the “Secret Moments,” which, according to him, were the real reason for his models’ great performance. Gene was very stern and direct when he uttered those dimensions. It was as if he were giving me some priceless map to a hidden treasure.
        Those moment arm dimensions are forever etched in my memory, and I might forget a lot of things, but never those numbers! Nose Moment: 9 3/8 inches; Tail Moment: 14 3/4 inches. Doesn’t sound all that impressive now, but I felt somehow blessed when he uttered them and wrote them down for me.
Along with the Secret Moments came a solemn oath not to tell anyone else. Of course, Gene released this information to general distribution himself some years later, so I guess it’s all right for me to relate it again here.
        Pressing my luck, I asked Gene if I could change the wing tip, tail tip, and wheel spat shapes to suit my own taste. Surprisingly, that didn’t seem to bother him at all. In fact, I think he liked the idea, so when I returned home, I began working on the model that was to eventually become the Caprice. Wow, what a trip!

Later - Bob
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:27:30 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2024, 09:36:55 AM »
Hey Bob,
This is truly great stuff! Please keep it coming

Thanks
Joe

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2024, 10:14:39 AM »
That was the first time I met you..I was one of the new members of the New Bedford Raiders, Len Gadomski was the club president at the time. I loved that candy apple red model and asked you how you did it, Very patiently you explained the entire procedure..  Later I saw the Nobler on the ground and a bimbo bent over and touched the wing and said, "Oh, baby it's paper"  At first I thought she had put the hole in the wing... The Goomba behind her had to be one of Patriarca's men. Cigar and all.  Later, before you went home, you did the most perfect patch I ever saw. Still have the photos. D>K
Ty Marcucci

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2024, 10:27:37 AM »
Hey Bob,
This is truly great stuff! Please keep it coming

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe:

I'm scanning as fast as I can!  LL~ LL~ LL~  Seriously, I'm glad you like it. With that last post I've pretty much caught everyone up on my formative years and the attendant airplanes. The Genesis Sage book pretty much picks up where I left off and chronicles the next 50 plus years. Just to remind everyone, that book is available for free. If you want to receive it, please send me a PM here at Stunt Hangar and include your email address.

I have a few more photos that date back into the 1960s, but I also have a bunch of them that are from contests in the 1970s.

Here are two more from that era. The first one is another photo taken by my father at the cookout we had after a contest around 1967. It's of John D'Ottavio with his Starr Lite design. John was a long time top competitor on the East Coast Stunt scene, and he was, along with Larry Scarinzi, Dawn Cosmillo's mentor and coach.

The second photo was taken in the basement playroom of my parent's house around 1969 or so. I'm not certain that this is why they called Gene a great "stick" man. We mostly played killer games of Ping Pong...

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:29:26 AM by Bob Hunt »

Advertise Here
Tags: plane 

Advertise Here