News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just before the snow flies contest... is on!  (Read 8196 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Just before the snow flies contest... is on!
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2019, 09:54:21 PM »
Continued...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
Scores!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »
Great contest!
AMA 13001

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2019, 05:43:25 AM »
Great time with a great turnout!  Thank's again Bob.  What a fun way to end the season.
Jim Vigani

Dwayne

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2019, 06:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the pics. Anyone have info on the E3D conversion? Setup? How did it fly?
Thanks  y1

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Best Plane on the field
fredQ

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2019, 09:55:35 AM »
Yes  MR  "W" can fly

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
They been tellin' me My P-40 ARF is a crappy plane
Well I flew this T'Bird
 I guess they were not foolin
Fred  Q
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:32:16 PM by Fred Quedenfeld jr »

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
It may take a while but my next P-40 will have a full body similar to this
Fred Q

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
That was one fun time!  Really good turn-out and pretty good weather for late October.  But, the visit to Bob's shop at Friday night's pizza party was really enlightening!  The lost foam wings that Bob is building are the straightest and lightest I have ever seen.  His workmanship is unbelievable.  Boy, do I have to step up my technique.  Thanks Bob for being such a terrific host!

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
Bob and the club put on a great contest. We had good weather and a lot of good friendly competition.
thanks to Chris for the good photo coverage. A great way to end the season.  George

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »

Thanks again for the great pics Chris, looks like it was a good one!  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Where do you start? First off, big thanks to Bob for organizing such a wonderful event,with thanks to the R/C club for letting us use the field and all of the helpers ,cooks etc.. Thanks to the judges and tabulators who did a fine job. The Friday night Pizza party and sing along at Bob's was a nice touch. Thanks  to Mother Nature for giving us beautiful autumn weather . The door prizes were fantastic as were the awards given out for the top fliers in each class. The camaraderie  among the contestants and good
 sportmanship was in full effect .
Thanks to Chris Fretz for always sharing his photos of the event for all of us to enjoy. We can't wait until next year's  meet.....Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
Yo, Fred the Thunderbird II, if built light and straight is a very fine flier. I would have flown mine over my Akrobat, had it not been for a fuel tank gremlin.

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »
I enjoyed the one-day contest very much, despite my embarrassing attempts at the stunt pattern (chalk it up to old-age and losing my flying and practice site)!  ~^ ~^ ~^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
Sounds like Bobby hit the nail on the head with this one.  Yes, late October can be chancy, especially in my part of the good ole USA.  Just a little far for this old man, but then again I have driven farther by myself.  Thanks to all involved from the old DOC. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
beginners!  that's great to see!!!!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
First off I want to send out my most sincere thanks and appreciation to all who attended, all who helped out as judges, tabulators, and runners. A very special thanks goes out to Tom Huff for the amazing amount of behind the scenes work he did in helping me get the trophies and other assorted stuff that needed to be done.

Next I want to thank the Lehigh Valley Radio Control Society (LVRCS) for allowing us to use their field for the entire weekend. There was a full day of practice on Friday, and a full day of competition on Saturday, with Sunday reserved as a rain date (thankfully we didn’t need it, and it rained most of the day on Sunday anyway).

One person I forgot to thank at the end of the day was Joe Boligitz. Joe shot dozens of photos, which will be posted on the LVRCS.com website. Sorry for the omission, Joe.

Also need to thank my wife of 46 years, Marianne for putting up with all the craziness of trying to organize a contest from scratch in less than a month. Yes, I’ll be taking her out for a very nice dinner…

Special thanks also to Sarah Marie Huff and Debbie Richlen for working along with Marianne to do all the tabulating. That is a thankless job for the most part, so, for all of us, I’m sending along thanks for a job well done. 

Things I learned:

I tried to put too many circles on one field and had minimal distance between the circles. Technically the field was laid out within AMA guidelines of 160 foot diameter circles, but, in reality, it was a bit cramped.

Due to the three circles using up all the field, the pits were small. I had asked during the pilot’s meeting that only five models at a time be placed in the pits, but that didn’t happen. My fault for A: not enforcing that rule, and B; for not having a larger pit area.

I wanted to have a practice circle available all day, so I didn’t put any events on that section of the field. It appears that after the contest started running that only two or three practice flights were flown anyway.   

So, here’s my first take on next year’s contest:

There will be only two circles on the main field, and the pit area will be laid out between the circles. We will determine how many models can safely be in the pits at any given time, and will enforce that number.

We will use what was designated as the practice circle as the third event circle. And it will have its own pit area.

We will (hopefully) go to a two day meet and add OTS, Classic, and Super-70s to the event menu.

The Pizza Party at my house is a must; we had a ball that night and there were about 35 people attending.

The food at the contest was universally thought to be exceptional.  The beef for the hamburgers was fresh, not frozen patties, and was purhased the day of the contest. The dogs were all beef. The only problem was that the club did not anticipate the number of burgers and dogs that would be consumed, and they had too small a grill to keep up with the demand. That will be rectified with a new, larger grill. 

All in all this contest was a success because everyone worked together to make it a success.

Again, my thanks to all concerned for making this a contest to remember all winter.

As a brief aside, a plaid shirt was left at our house, and a blue jacket and a folding chair were left at the field. Sound familiar to anyone? Let me know...

Later - Bob Hunt

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
My LVRCS club mate, Joe Boligitz just sent me a link to a video he produced and posted on You Tube about the Before the Snow Flies contest and practice day. Hope you enjoy it!

Bob Hunt

Here's the link:

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
Real nice video.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here