News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It seems to me that we need some younger Moderators  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
It seems to me that we need some younger Moderators
« on: March 27, 2024, 02:56:52 PM »
Richard Grogan hasn't been around for at least a decade. I asked him via email if he was still active and he replied at the time that he had tried to get his name removed from the main SH forum, without success.

I haven't seen many signs of activity from Randy Smith since Covid. I know he got it, he survived, and didn't like it at all.

And now, De Hill has passed away, and he's still listed as the moderator on the forum for those who passed, as well as the main forum. IMO, we absolutely need to sign up some younger moderators. 

An OFB tried to log into SH but can't remember his password and seems to need help to get back on. I personally looked up OFB's username and sent that in an email to both Sparky, Randy, and OFB, but haven't gotten a reply, nor has OFB. I'm not sure whether there is a way to apply for a new password or not, because I'm just two clicks away from being logged in all the time, like most of y'all.    H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
Re: It seems to me that we need some younger Moderators
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 08:18:44 AM »
While, I think I might agree, I simply don't know enough about any of the current moderators, their age nor abilities.  The only moderator I knew was De, and loved the guy.  I joined the Tulsa Gluedobbers back when I was a young 39 and was active until I got married and my youngest child was born in 2005,and just got too busy with life.  I am now 63 and I don't consider myself young in many ways, except in my heart and I'm blessed with a good metabolism and few ailments.  But I have to say when I make an occasional visit to the old field, I might no longer be the youngest, but the hobby still seems to have the problem it had when I was 40: a lack of younger participants. 

I think it would be nice to have younger members, participants, builders, flyers and moderators.  But I would also guess that if you run the demographics of this site, and of the hobby itself, the statistics might be somewhat depressing.  It is just a different world than when I grew up.  I had three channels of TV, a neighborhood football or baseball game on occasion, reading, or building models.  So I built and flew a whole lot of models.  I didn't even know there were any clubs back then.  We just flew in a vacant lot or a H.S. parking lot (if we wanted to walk a mile carrying our planes and equipment, which wasn't very often).  And by the time I was in Junior High, I was the only one left in my neighborhood that still built models.  The only people I've ever met involved in the sport were either childhood friends, members of the Tulsa club or those visiting for the annual contest.

But I also don't particularly believe in doom and gloom.  Somehow the hobby has survived a long time and there are still a lot of people interested and participating in it.  The COVID wasn't kind, neither medically and socially, to this endeavor.   I don't actually remember if I had to enter a birth date or not when I joined this site.  I suspect from reading the posts that a great deal of members here know a lot of other members.  I know maybe two or three.  Maybe.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 08:53:27 AM »
I have to sadly agree.  You notice there hasn't been a throng of youngsters (or even semi-youngsters ) coming forward.  There are a very few younger ones around-and MOST of them second or third generation modelers inspired or helped (pushed) along by the family member.   Not really any newly created ones.   It's very chicken or egg concerning modelers and the hobby industry as well.  Mostly failed for lack of business but also few options for new folks to get supplies or knowing how to get them.  Certainly NOT walking into a local hobby shop.  It's not for lack of trying.  Over the years there have been many efforts and people who thought they were going to "save" the hobby with outreach and training kids.  The result is a fun day for those but they are never to return and become modelers.  I have taken quite a few under my wing over the decades who stop completely when you quit doing everything for them (building and furnishing supplies).  The sport will be around yet for a good while but in ever diminishing numbers since young people are no longer fascinated with aviation in any form.  My granddaughter plays junior high basketball.  Her school team has nine girls and one (1) boy.   So what the he!! are the boys doing?  Nothing and fine with that!   I have been in love with our hobby/sport for 60 years now.  However just like me,  nothing will make the hair or teeth come back.   Enjoy what we have for as long as we can.   I'm grateful for it.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 09:45:41 AM »
Well, I'm a young 47 (48 in May), married, with a son who's 8 and twins on the way (due Oct/Nov). Not sure how much help I could be between work and general life, but if needed, I'll volunteer to be a moderator - just need someone to walk me through a few things to make sure I don't accidentally nuke a good thread or wield the ban hammer irresponsibly.  H^^

Steve

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 04:56:16 PM »
Richard Grogan hasn't been around for at least a decade. I asked him via email if he was still active and he replied at the time that he had tried to get his name removed from the main SH forum, without success. This is the first I heard of this and is now fixed

An OFB tried to log into SH but can't remember his password and seems to need help to get back on. I personally looked up OFB's username and sent that in an email to both Sparky, Randy, and OFB, but haven't gotten a reply, nor has OFB. I'm not sure whether there is a way to apply for a new password or not, because I'm just two clicks away from being logged in all the time, like most of y'all.    H^^ Steve

I seem to remember resetting someones password But if it's not fixed send a message to me
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 04:59:37 PM »
Well, I'm a young 47 (48 in May), married, with a son who's 8 and twins on the way (due Oct/Nov). Not sure how much help I could be between work and general life, but if needed, I'll volunteer to be a moderator - just need someone to walk me through a few things to make sure I don't accidentally nuke a good thread or wield the ban hammer irresponsibly.  H^^

Steve

call me and we see if we can set something up
AMA 12366

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 10:26:00 AM »
I know there are few young one into CL but there are still many middle-age and older who do not come to this site as it got so toxic with political talk. Topic after topic someone would say "don't read it if you do not like it". I complained  and got " don't like it move on" That is the reason contest pictures stopped ,results stopped. It is easy to blame facebook but that is not what hurt this site.
 I have stopped commenting  with a few post in four years.
EddyR          Will this post get removed as not liked by owner of site ?
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 01:01:07 PM »
EddyR,
What you say may be true regarding "the culture." However, I think the FB transition is more than politics.

Two examples I have are StuntHangar the website in competition with StuntHangar the FB group, and 6-Pack the website versus 6-Pack the FB group.

In both examples I see the same users (not necessarily by the user's avatar/username from the DOT.com). I suspect the attraction to the FB version is both are linked to the user's FB account. In other words one login (FB) gets me into both.

Also, the DOT.com versions require cash "donations" from membership drives or other "arm twisting" to generate operating cash flow for site maintenance/operations. Of course, the commercial versions have much better "Admin feature sets/tools," The FB version is basically free of out-of-pocket expenses for equipment rental/domain ownership. Despite the FB versions, I still financially support three DOT.com ventures. I like the fact that they have embedded PM systems, worldwide user bases, and image hosting...well, and absolute A$$-hats can be banned by Admin or Moderators. The DOTcoms.can be more selective/private.

I wish I had the time to be a moderator. I wish I knew how to tell someone to "back off a bit," as I'm right wing conservative (vs "any-wing antagonist")...but I think I'd be accused of censorship because the loud-mouths from either side can't see the difference between downgrade your rhetoric" from the pure silencing action known as censorship.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 04:10:46 PM »
As a semi-moderator (!), I'll agree that political posts are not good for our small community. But then, when someone on the one side starts slinging bs, that's when it should be deleted. Moderators also can't be expected to proof-read every post in every thread. If you have a problem with somebody's post and you don't bring it to the attention of that forum's moderator, then you have nothing to whine about. IMO   :-* Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 04:48:54 PM »
Very good Steve. It's in the best interest of this hobby and each of us to not drive people away.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 02:40:02 AM »

I have thought about this for a while. I sell nothing here. facebook sells your info. The reader is the product. This site costs 300 a month for the server. I have tried many times to think of a product to sell. This site can go away and everyone will be stuck with facebook. I could file a DMCA on facebook Stunt Hangar for a copyright strike. So, if you don't want to see your local hobby shop close, support it.
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 02:42:00 AM »
I know there are few young one into CL but there are still many middle-age and older who do not come to this site as it got so toxic with political talk. Topic after topic someone would say "don't read it if you do not like it". I complained  and got " don't like it move on" That is the reason contest pictures stopped ,results stopped. It is easy to blame facebook but that is not what hurt this site.
 I have stopped commenting  with a few post in four years.
EddyR          Will this post get removed as not liked by owner of site ?

What are you infering?
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here