News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:39:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this what the bottom spar of the Vector 40 wing is supposed to look like?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Horby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
I am assembling the wing and was wondering is this correct?

Warren.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:36:38 PM by Horby »

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
I believe so, Warren.

However, the blanks in my die crunched kit were wide enough so I laser cut them to produce a full D-tube. The inboard tip is reduced to the spec height to provide clearance for the front leadout.

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
Your bottom spars look interesting.

Warren

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Hi
and  NO it should not look like that, I designed the spar so that it is thicker, full depth at the center, and  gets smaller as it goes out to the tip, the rib cut out for the spar should be cut deeper at R1  and  graduate smaller as it goes to the tip, If you have not glued these you can simply measure the  Root ribe spar cut, and the tip rib spar cut, lay a straight edge on that dimension and recut a  tapered  spar.
Call or email if you have a question about this

Randy    678 407 9376        randyaero@msn.com

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
Thanks for the heads up, and no I didn't glue it yet, I wanted to make sure it was correct before I did.
It didn't seem right, I will search the rest of the kit to see if a set of spars were included.
Btw, the kit is a laser cut Brodak kit.

Cheers,
Warren.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
The Brodak kit has a laser-cut spar.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
Thanks for the heads up, and no I didn't glue it yet, I wanted to make sure it was correct before I did.
It didn't seem right, I will search the rest of the kit to see if a set of spars were included.
Btw, the kit is a laser cut Brodak kit.

Cheers,
Warren.

Look for a  Laser cut spar x2  that fits the  cuts in the ribs  full depth, and  is  then level with the bottom of the ribs, it will be as I stated  taller on the middle end and  smaller  on the  tip end

Randy

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
Thanks for the input guys, I got the spars figured out, my kit did not contain the cut spars but upon reviewing the parts list it did include a sheet of wood to cut them from. My flying buddy has a die crunched Vector kit and we looked at the differences and figured out that they had to be cut. I guess I have one of the early laser cut kits. All is good now and I can continue, using the electric conversion kit should be another interesting adventure.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,
Warren.

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Look for a  Laser cut spar x2  that fits the  cuts in the ribs  full depth, and  is  then level with the bottom of the ribs, it will be as I stated  taller on the middle end and  smaller  on the  tip end

Randy

I have one of Randy's latest kits and the wing spar is just like Randy stated, and laser cut.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Reckon I have the oddball kit...

All parts are Lazer Cut. But no lower spar. Just the 1/8x3x24" sheet to cut the spar from. Which is listed on the parts list.
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Deric Herrmann

• Ensign
Building a Vector currently and there is no laser cut lower spar. The plans give you a pattern to cut one out.

Something is wrong with the lower spar you have.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Not saying that it is the case here , but such as Giadinis olympic Have a full depth spar , slotted from 1/2 depth , with a spar cap over the cuts .

this is to prevent warpage / shrinking or growing , in the slotted side .

as yours   appears slotted half through the ribs , to the centerline , i wonder if this is it ?

theres some vector stuff here . https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/new-kit-survey/ Maybe send a PM to Mr Smith ! .

Sorta like this , but say 1/4 missing , on top of the spar , and a 1/4 ( or whatever ) strip in on top of the spar , once assembled .  :-\

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
if you do not have one the bottom spar is  simple to cut, just measure how long it is to be, then measure and mark it, measure the depth cut on the tip rib, and then the depth cut in the root rib, mark the tip measure at the  edge, matke the root measure at the point the rib meets the spar  ie  about 1.5 inches in. then lay a straight edge and  cut it down that line

Randy  call me if you need  help  678 407 9376

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here