News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:58:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting old car  (Read 3330 times)

Online Tony Drago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Interesting old car
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:20:02 PM »
                               Interesting old car. This is the caption under the photo.
                               Doug Klassen Vintage Hobby Shops & Models                       
                                 Somewhere in Massachusetts a long time ago.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:50:30 PM by Tony Drago »

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Interesting old car
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 12:18:11 AM »
I saw this Morgan parked outside Smith Bros. Hobbies Sept 2017 when Tony was working there (may he Rest In Peace).

Paul

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 01:56:39 AM »
When I was a very little kid, we lived in Tangier, Morocco, as my dad was in the military on assignment and those 3-wheel Morgans were all over the place.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 05:05:19 AM »
As I learned in the recent days,
Morgan stopped finally the production of this 3-wheeler - after 90 years...  :(

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 05:58:22 AM »
So, what is that car in the first post?   Neo Morgan in second post with the unloved S&S motor. Kinda cool!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
So, what is that car in the first post?   Neo Morgan in second post with the unloved S&S motor. Kinda cool!

Shame that the 3 wheeler Morgan is gone. It was the only one legal to import to the United Stated

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
                        Interesting old car.

Yeah, but can it do the pattern?!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry

Offline Jim Scott

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »
The car in the photo is a Ford Model T based speedster. It is identified by the very distinctive Model T engine oil pan visible below the body. During the era of the Model T many companies made aftermarket and conversion parts. The pictured car has aftermarket wire wheels; the chassis was probably lowered. The body was likely a kit. It is very professionally made. Many speedsters were quite crude.

A Google search will show up different speedster styles. The brass radiator (1909-1916) speedsters are often patterned after the Stutz Bearcat, as are many of the modern reproductions using both brass and black radiators - as the bodies are simple to make. The one pictured has a complicated, streamlined shape and probably dates from the mid 1920s.

Speed modifications were also made to the engines, including converting them to overhead valves and installing pressure oiled crankshafts.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
The car in the photo is a Ford Model T based speedster. It is identified by the very distinctive Model T engine oil pan visible below the body. During the era of the Model T many companies made aftermarket and conversion parts. The pictured car has aftermarket wire wheels; the chassis was probably lowered. The body was likely a kit. It is very professionally made. Many speedsters were quite crude.

...The one pictured has a complicated, streamlined shape and probably dates from the mid 1920s.

Speed modifications were also made to the engines, including converting them to overhead valves and installing pressure oiled crankshafts.

My dad was a pretty inquisitive, curious little guy in his youth, asking everyone to show him how to do things. At age 12 or a bit older, he bought a Model T for around $5 and worked on it a lot, rebuilding the engine and transmission and modifying it. He watched Fronty Fords race at the fairgrounds in his home town of Napoleon, Ohio and decided to convert to just such a speedster. At the point that he had removed the body, so that the seats were all out in the open, he and his friends decided to attend the Cleveland Air Races. So at age 14, he drove two buddies across the state and spent a couple days driving around the Cleveland area (cops shooed them away from  Public Square), camping out at what is now Hopkins Airport, and watching the great air racers of the day. Then they drove back without incident.  No rain! I don't think he ever got that bodywork finished, but I'd bet that something like this beautiful little car was what he had in mind.

He had plenty of stories of grinding OX-5 valves for barnstormers, building radios, building a primary glider, hunting for Mad Anthony Wayne's cannon off Girty's Island in the Maumee, etc. Kids then had some great adventures. I would have gone crazy for that little speedster.

SK

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
Parently hese are still going . Moto Guzzi Tri-King .

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g999/11-thrilling-three-wheeled-kit-cars/?slide=11

S&S H. D. powered .

Somebody in Taupo N.Z. said they were doing Trikes, for the U S of A . Dunno which end was one wheel . Two at the back its possable to flip em . Ouch . One at the rear they just tend to drift .

Right, out with the disc grinder , . . . ;D

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
So, what the heck is Swedish Sloyd?  The owner of the hobby shop?  Something you eat?  An aerobic dance routine?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here