News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Incident at field - things you should know  (Read 995 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Incident at field - things you should know
« on: February 03, 2024, 11:16:53 AM »
Guys,
A few of us went to our normal field flying today. One of our older (88yrs) guys who comes out to chat and talk airplanes was sitting on the rear gate of my car and started to lean back.  I had just finished my second flight. I though he was just trying to scratch his back, then he droop back further. 
At that point I became concerned and asked if he was ok, he wasn't responding to well. I was holding hi, from falling and told our other buddy to call 911. We got Lynn to sit on the ground with his back against the bumper and he started to feel better and then we got him sitting on a bench. He said he was fine but I was concerned that if he got in his car and drove off he might have a problem to himself and someone else. The paramedics arrived and although Lynn insisted he was OK they did a quick check. They were just about done and he had another spell, they took him to the hospital.

Now, we had is car to get back to his house and tell his wife what was going on. We had a phone number but I did not have his address. I figured he would have a registration in the car with that info, no, no insurance card either. OK, how about the Home setting on the GPS, car did not have one that I could see. We were able to finally get the paramedics to get his address and got his car home and informed his wife which hospital they took him to. The paramedic said he had very low blood pressure but was stable. Better to be lucky than good, we were in the right place at the right time.

Lesson learned here: have you flying buddies contact info and address in you address book. If you fly alone always have your phone with you so you can call for help. If you feel faint, call for help don't think you can shake it off, get help.

Best,   DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Incident at field - things you should know
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 11:37:48 AM »
Thanks for the info.   That is one of the reasons My family makes me carry a cell phone.  I also have my bill fold with all info in it.  Dave had to use ny phone when a Fox 25 chomped on me and according to dr severwd a tendon.  Dave and some nice quad copter pilots picked every thing up and locked my Suburban.  I was not bleeding and off to emergency.  Several hors later back at the field Dave asked if I was okay.  I told him I was fine and still had no pain other than when the intern washed my gash with water.  Didn't even feel pain from the eleven stiches.  Glad the old Suburban was automatic as I could drive with one hand.  Later went in for surgery to fix the tendon.  Can't hardly see the scar.  Now know don't reach under plane to remove glow plug clip.  Also have developed procedure for starting twin engine planes.

Hope your friend is doing better. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 02:13:05 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for sharing this story.  Delivering the car to the hospital is another option, letting the person coordinate from there.

A friend who looks a lot like me, who takes blood pressure medicine, lost some weight by eating properly.  This resulted in brief light-headed spells upon standing up from a chair.  Diagnosis was low BP because BP meds too strong.  No problems after med adjustment.

Peter

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 08:28:18 PM »
I got an update from Lynn's wife, he is stable and they have admitted him overnight for some tests. It seems that it was low blood pressure so they will need to address that but he should be fine.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 04:51:27 AM »
At Buder Park we have emergency information posted on the first aid box. the nearest hospital location is shown along with the urgent care location. Then it says call 911 if an ambulance is needed with the address of the flying site. Locals know how to get to the flying site but 911 is going to ask for an address of where you are, are you prepared for that?

We have used the first aid kit several times for minor first aid to handle come cuts. One of our out of town guests fell, and had some minor cuts. We made sure he was ok, and got the cuts taken care of.

Regardless of the person's age if you hold a contest for fun fly then you need to have a first aid kit available. And the CD should know where the local urgent care or hospital is located near the flying site.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 04:55:28 PM »
Dennis, is that OUR LYNN,  RAD
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 06:14:28 PM »
Bob,
Yes, so far he is doing OK.

Best,   DenisT

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 07:11:09 AM »
Can you say what hospital Lynn is in?  I will call him. 

Rusty

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 04:10:06 PM »
Rusty,
He was taken to Martin Memorial North Hospital.

Best,    Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 08:11:15 AM »
I just want to report that Lynn is home from the hospital and doing OK. He has to take it easy but is fine.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here