News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: “World Famous Fox .15 Hurl”  (Read 1861 times)

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
“World Famous Fox .15 Hurl”
« on: September 13, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
Ordinarily to get around the moderators I would say this post is taking a survey of future interest. Or I might ask how much would be good price for an item to be placed in the Classifieds. Or even mention an important Announcement from a Kit maker I know.

Unfortunately I have limited previous experience of posting that kind of thing.    . 

SO  .  .  .     .

I will go right ahead and mention.

In case you have been living under a rock and are unaware, this post is a reminder of the most important contest of the year.

The 111th Annual “World Famous Fox .15 Hurl” takes place at Woodlands California on Sept 22, and runs concurrent with a modest local contest (of minor interest).

To learn more about this vitally important event please visit

http://concentricbehavior.com/events.html

Or alternatively try and track down one of the self appointed commissioners like Larry “Heavy Equipment” Fernandez. Or the antique flyer himself - one Brett Buck.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:12:58 AM by BYU »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: In case you have been living under a rock
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »
Ordinarily to get around the moderators I would say this post is taking a survey of future interest. Or I might ask how much would be good price for an item to be placed in the Classifieds. Or even mention an important Announcement from a Kit maker I know.

Unfortunately I have limited previous experience of posting that kind of thing.    . 

SO  .  .  .     .

I will go right ahead and mention.

In case you have been living under a rock and are unaware, this post is a reminder of the most important contest of the year.

The 111th Annual Fox 15 Hurl takes place at Woodlands California on Sept 22, and runs concurrent with a modest local contest (of minor interest).

To learn more about this vitally important event please visit

http://concentricbehavior.com/events.html

Or alternatively try and track down one of the self appointed commissioners like Larry “Heavy Equipment” Fernandez. Or the antique flyer himself - one Brett Buck.
Can't make the Hurl but I would like to know what the record is.  I once threw one about 50 yards but I was not competing, I was commenting.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »
Can't make the Hurl but I would like to know what the record is.  I once threw one about 50 yards but I was not competing, I was commenting.

Ken

Hi Ken, best that I can recall, the official record for the “World Famous Fox .15 Hurl” is 209 ft. Held by Phil Granderson. The unofficial record is 239 ft.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:15:44 PM »
Hi Ken, best that I can recall, the official record for the “World Famous Fox .15 Hurl” is 209 ft. Held by Phil Granderson. The unofficial record is 239 ft.
Both of those beat me.  Sad part, some kid picked it up and brought it back. HB~>

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »

After your disturbing lapse at the Hurl Leadership Council last month in Lausanne, Switzerland, and now this, I am beginning to consider a Rule 16, Paragraph AC, "Sanctions to be applied to the Commissioner".

While Phil is a Hurl Champion and Gentleman Competitor (as noted in Rule 67, "Special Designations for select Hurl Participants") and definitely embodies the towering majesty of The Hurl, he does not hold the record. The official record *is* 209" feet, by multi-time Hurl Champion Robert Harness.  It's right there on the Wall Of Champions in the contemplation garden of Hurl Central Command.

Ken's claimed "50 yards" can be examined for unofficial record compliance, all we need is the date, time, altitude, barometric pressure, air temperatures, wet-bulb temperature, local sun elevation, hurl site latitude and longitude,  launch azimuth, local normal gravity, local horizontal gravity component (unit vector and magnitude), raw theodolite readings, and the names of the certified witnesses. Just the usual stuff. This will permit us to compute the K-factor for your site and conditions, so the reading can be normalized with the canonical Hurl Site in Vacaville, CA. OF course this will only be unofficial, as no Hurl officials were present to administer the event, and (and I checked the records) no certified Hurling engines were issued by Hurl Technical Services.

For "a word to the wise" for aspiring Hurl competitors, it should be noted that the two longest "raw" Hurls, that is, the longest before the application of Geezer Points, Robert's record, and the previous "raw" record by a certain 4-time Hurl Champion (that modesty forbids mentioning), both used the "low angle skip and roll" technique, with rather unimpressive air travel but Brobdingnagian rolls. This can be clearly seen in analysis provided in the "Annals of the Hurl, Volume 15". High arcing throws, while undeniably majestic, do not seem to provide the kind of scores that you need to be competitive at the highest levels.

Brett

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 08:57:52 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: “World Famous Fox .15 Hurl”
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
Brett, that's the best thing I've read all day!  Lol!!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
  After your disturbing lapse at the Hurl Leadership Council last month in Lausanne, Switzerland, and now this, I am beginning to consider a Rule 16, Paragraph AC, "Sanctions to be applied to the Commissioner".

While Phil is a Hurl Champion and Gentleman Competitor (as noted in Rule 67, "Special Designations for select Hurl Participants") and definitely embodies the towering majesty of The Hurl, he does not hold the record. The official record *is* 209" feet, by multi-time Hurl Champion Robert Harness.  It's right there on the Wall Of Champions in the contemplation garden of Hurl Central Command.

Ken's claimed "50 yards" can be examined for unofficial record compliance, all we need is the date, time, altitude, barometric pressure, air temperatures, wet-bulb temperature, local sun elevation, hurl site latitude and longitude,  launch azimuth, local normal gravity, local horizontal gravity component (unit vector and magnitude), raw theodolite readings, and the names of the certified witnesses. Just the usual stuff. This will permit us to compute the K-factor for your site and conditions, so the reading can be normalized with the canonical Hurl Site in Vacaville, CA. OF course this will only be unofficial, as no Hurl officials were present to administer the event, and (and I checked the records) no certified Hurling engines were issued by Hurl Technical Services.

For "a word to the wise" for aspiring Hurl competitors, it should be noted that the two longest "raw" Hurls, that is, the longest before the application of Geezer Points, Robert's record, and the previous "raw" record by a certain 4-time Hurl Champion (that modesty forbids mentioning), both used the "low angle skip and roll" technique, with rather unimpressive air travel but Brobdingnagian rolls. This can be clearly seen in analysis provided in the "Annals of the Hurl, Volume 15". High arcing throws, while undeniably majestic, do not seem to provide the kind of scores that you need to be competitive at the highest levels.

Brett

I was only 14 at the time but my mother made me record all of that except the raw theodolite reading.  Her meter was broken.  No chance? LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
I was only 14 at the time but my mother made me record all of that except the raw theodolite reading.  Her meter was broken.  No chance? LL~

Ken

It’s still possible for you to compete this year, you just need to appoint a Proxy Hurler as Dave Fitzgerald has done on past occasions.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
It’s still possible for you to compete this year, you just need to appoint a Proxy Hurler as Dave Fitzgerald has done on past occasions.

Watch it, that sort of talk is right out!

Brett

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
A few tickets are still available - Procure Yours Today!

Is the use of a potato gun allowed this year for the hurl?
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for a ruling on potato (or any variety of legume) guns. I am still waiting on a ruling on jai alai throwing scoops and golf drivers from LAST year. The Hurl Committee takes its own sweet time. On the jai alai device, it is strapped to the thrower's arm, thus becoming part of the "throwing appendage" in my view. As for golf drivers, in the case of most players it is a disadvantage, not a benefit, so I see no reason to limit their disabling qualities in the matter of the Hurl. After all, its not like anyone is throwing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »
Is the use of a potato gun allowed this year for the hurl?

Asked and answered - 8 years ago!:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=366602&mesg_id=366602&listing_type=search#366657

You guys are one-trick ponies. You're never making Larry's list with this sort of weak-sauce smart-assery.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:20:21 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
I envision mini versions of mechanical pumkin chuckin' machines in the near future or at least a fair size trebuchet.

Do your research:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=366602&mesg_id=366602&listing_type=search#366664

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here