News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IMPACT by Banshee  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Artur Caban

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
IMPACT by Banshee
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:42:10 AM »
Saturday at midday, great weather in Warsaw. Learning to Reverse Wingover...
First turn to vertical, centre of circle, second turn to inverted, half a outside loop.
Once more.
First turn to vertical, centre of circle and straight in the grass. :-\
So, go to work...
Artur.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: IMPACT by Banshee
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:14:56 PM »
Quite a tough airplane.  It's fortunate that you were over grass!  Good luck.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »
I would wager that it would be far easier to build a new kit, and the result will be better...
Use a 4" bellcrank.

Offline Artur Caban

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:54:24 PM »
It was my second attempt of reverse wingover. Look at the pics from october.
Really a tought plane.
However the ground was more soft. ::)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
Artur,
Can I make a suggestion? As one who had some difficulty transiting to the full pattern, I was really helped by a couple of planes, one a 15 sized Sig Akromaster had a terrific "bounce" and a Ukey 35 which didn't bounce quite a good as the Akromaster, could survive the frequent "oops". I recommend either one (or both). Now with Arf's, you can also  pick up pick up a stunt mule for little bucks and time investment. The Top Flite Flite Streak is pretty cheap and is about the fastest build of all the Arfs. Yes it won't bounce as well as either of the two I just mentioned, but I don't think you should risk your own nicely built plane--like your Banshee--to the training of your hand-eye coordination.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »
1) Practise at home....aka "Dry Fly". Think during those two laps before each simulated maneuver. Think about your body stance, where you need to plant your feet, how you will accomplish that. Think through the maneuver, including the entrance and exit. This means you'll need to consult the rule book and diagrams. 2) If you don't understand each maneuver's diagram, post your question at Stunt Hanger or SSW. Also, assuming you're a PAMPA member, read Owen Richards column "Flying the Maneuvers". Lots of good insight and tips there.
3) Get your model well trimmed before you attempt new tricks with it. A good flying model, with steady line tension, will make those tricks a lot easier. 
:! Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »
At least I had my clothes on.  ;D  ~^ n~

Probably would have really difficult to explain if you a full skirt on.

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 01:00:53 AM »
I'm just guessing here, but judging from the hole in the ground and the damage to the airplane, you're getting "up" and "down" mixed up when you're inverted.. Learning to fly inverted can be a pita....

I had the same problem when I was learning.. If you think about it, the reverse wingover is just a "modified" overhead 8 and/or visa versa.. After planting the second airplane while learning the reverse wingover, I quit trying to learn the maneuvers in order. I went to the overhead 8.. Once I mastered it, I then went back to the reverse wingover..

Something else that might help you.  While learning these maneuvers, don't worry about the bottom height.  Make the maneuvers BIG and keep the bottoms high -- 10 - 11 feet high.. This will give you some "headroom" if you should make a bobble. Once you have learned the basic "stick movements", you can work on the size, height, turn radius, etc..

Nick
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Artur Caban

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »
Hey guys
Thank you for all suggestions about planes, dry fly and overhead 8.
I started a c/l and stunt in July and after the 90 flights J perform:
- three inside loops
- inverted (wavy yet)
- three outside loops from inverted
- outside up to down
- horizontal eights (less and less lazy);
You know I think about the Inverted Wingover but maybe you are right Nick and the overhead 8 is an idea!
What a pity the winter is coming...
Me and my daughter Alice regards you. :) :)
Artur.
PS. My big CAP can't wait for my steady hand.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »
Wow, that's a sweet looking profile Juno!  What engine?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »
Artur: What plane is the red one ? More details on it please. It looks very good so don't take chances with it lol. When you gonna have your pretty daughter flyin ?
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 09:21:59 AM »
Artur: What plane is the red one ? More details on it please. It looks very good so don't take chances with it lol. When you gonna have your pretty daughter flyin ?

Hi Lee,

That's the "Profile Juno" I referred to in my post.  At least it has Juno wings and tail surfaces.   ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:05:32 AM »
That red plane looks like it has a ST G51 and that puts it in the Juno size range.   I would say he built it from the Flying Models plans with some construction changes.  It is an I-Beamer!

I have always thought that would be a great project.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Artur Caban

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »
The red plane name is CAP because I like very much Mudry CAPs airplanes.
I love also a classic stunters and of course this model is inspired  by Bill Werwage's JUNO.
Dimesions:
- wing span: 149cm (58,66in.)
- lehgth: 106cm (41,76in.)
Engine: Super Tigre 40
Laser cut ribs, foil: TOUGHLON.
Plane is very fast and nervous (to correction in future),
a congenital defect: pliable fuselage.
PS. Here is something to inspire:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviation_video.php?id=1236

Offline Artur Caban

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:10:34 PM »
More CAP/JUNO details:
Regards -
Artur.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
  Artur, I am supprised that no one else has noticed nor commented on the possibility that you got "pushrod flex"  big time.  From the pictures, it appears that you did not have a pushrod guide midway between the flap horn and the elevator horn.  The pushrod appears to be a 3/32 inch diameter wire with a slight bent at the flap end to clear the flap.  With that condition, the initial "up" turn into the wingover, the wind is helping the turn, so pushrod flex would not be noticable to a relatively new flier.  The next two turns are "down" control in which the push rod is being "pulled" so there would be no tendency to flex.  BUT the last turn is again "up" control, the wind is not helping to lift you into the turn,but IS increasing your speed as is the gravity.  The pushrod flex could be enough to flatten the turn sufficiently to cause you to not make the turn.  Most planes using  steel wire pushrods definitely need a pushrod guide to prevent flex.  On those planes using carbon fiber pushrods a guide usually is not necessary.
  If there is doubt,   hold full control both in the up and down position and grasp the elevators and try to move them toward neutral while holding the leadouts in full limit and watch the pushrod and see if it flexes in either direction.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here