News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Identify this Russian Plane  (Read 2645 times)

Offline buzzplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Identify this Russian Plane
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:45:23 AM »
Can anyone identify this Russian Plane, it was featured in Aeromodeller in the 8

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Identify this Russian Plane
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 06:02:46 AM »
The Yatsenko brothers flew those planes back around 1994. They had them at the World Championships in Shanghai, China. I made a comment to them that they looked a bit like my Genesis design. They were not amused...

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
Can anyone identify this Russian Plane, it was featured in Aeromodeller in the 8

Hi.
The model depicted in the photo was built by Valentin Salenek
Yes, it "looks like" the Genesis

Massimo

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 08:48:38 AM »
I stand corrected! You are right, it was Valentin Salenek who flew that plane. It was he who was not amused at my suggestion that it looked a bit like the Genesis.

Didn't he have a brother (or a team mate) who also flew that design plane?

Getting old is such a pain...

Later -Bob Hunt

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »

Didn't he have a brother (or a team mate) who also flew that design plane?

Getting old is such a pain...

Later -Bob Hunt

If you think about it it is much better than the alternative .....
However I don't remember if anyone else piloted the same design plane.

Massimo

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 11:10:04 AM »
Hi Lauri:

Well, the Genesis aesthetic was introduced in 1972, and was first flown at our Nats in 1973. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that aesthetic until around 1994 at the WC in China. I suppose it could have been parallel development, but I seriously doubt it...

So sorry to hear of Valentin's passing.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline buzzplane

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:12:45 AM »
Hi.
The model depicted in the photo was built by Valentin Salenek
Yes, it "looks like" the Genesis

Massimo

Thank you, Buzz....

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Copy cat is the greatest form of flattery.  #^   During the cold war, the USSR was always trying to copy our technology, even in WW2 they perfectly reverse engineered the Boeing B-29 even down to gun hole patches

because  Uncle Joe said to make them exactly like the originals.... H^^ y1 The end result was they were always five years behind us.
Ever read Sir Stanley Hooker's Not Much of an Engineer?  Shown a Chinese copy of the Rolls Royce Nene jet engine, he remarked: "Yes, a very good copy.  They even copied our mistakes!"
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 02:42:44 PM »
As was correctly reported, this is a Format, an original design by Valentin Salenek from 1985 (published in '86?), also built and flown by his brother Victor.
While there might be some aesthetic semblance to the Genesis, as I'm looking at the two articles in front of me, there is nothing common between the two in terms of construction or aerodynamics.  The Format uses a built up wing of ~720 in^2 area, aspect ratio 5.6, span 62.2", with a very blunt and thick (20%) airfoil, and a slight forward (!) sweep of the quarter chord.  Horizontal tail is also built up, comprises 23% of the wing area, and weighs a svelte 2.12 oz.  The most unusual for that time was a whopping 19" hinge-to-hinge tail moment, something that wasn't seen again until the mid/late-2010's.
The fuselage is a glass-balsa-glass vacuum molded sandwich, which helped the author to achieve an impressive all-up weight of 59 oz. All built up surfaces were covered in mylar, and the entire plane was finished with polyurethane enamels. The airplane had removable wings, horizontal tail, 2-piece fuselage, allowing it to fit inside a 32"x16"x10" travel case.  It was powered by an original design 9.3 cc rear-intake rear-exhaust two-stroke with variable-area exhaust stinger, spinning a hand-carved 3 blade 13" basswood prop.
The author took great risks packing many original solutions into one design, and yet had been able to repeatedly win a spot on the national team, which is a feat not unlike winning the US Nats.  Valentin has dedicated his entire life to the sport of control line aerobatics, publishing several innovative designs along the way, and had inspired and mentored many aspiring young stunt pilots.
He passed away on May 12, 2020.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
It is really painful, to hear that Valentin Salenek passed.
Several times I met him, and I truly admired his genial innovations and constructions. A real engineer amongst many "jockey" he was.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
Ok all the great information is clearly in this thread.

I want to mention this because, whilst its very sad that he passed we should applaud his work and dedication to the sport.

I had first seen this back in 1994 the video only for the exact competition Bob Hunt commented on and competed in himself.
I remember seeing this design and clearly thinking that it was smart that someone else had taken the genesis side profile and used it.
Now years later.. it appears that was not the case.
After talking to many of my "European" friends about wbat information was available in the 1970s to 1980s to aid in stunt design.. and the answer was none..

So I suppose it could have been parallel development, but I seriously doubt it...

I find that a statement to be a little unfair to the tireless work these guys did... Ive read much of what was written about the earlier designs from "Europe" and there is countless testing done by hard working people over the span of decades to the sport..... just as YOU personally did.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
Perhaps you are right, PJ. I guess I thought my original idea of the aesthetics in 1972 was unique. Appears I was wrong.

No disrespect was meant to Valentin or anyone else.

Bob Hunt

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »
Compostella .

four stroke . Plan shows Enya 4S , St 60 & ST 51 nose lengths . Theres some video / u tube ,or it flying at W Champs or Euro Champs .

Intresting on the Russian Genisis . Must be the Genisis is a American Format .  ;D :-X :## Incidently My blue plank wing Spit. was liberated dimensionall from ' the yellow plane ' just a photo .Flew very well .

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »
Luciano Compostella...
He was a really great character, as well. (we called him as "Pappa Luciano" :) )
In the early 2000s we asked him after appearing with as much different planes, as much contest we met him, how it is possible, how is your choice system works, he answered:
"look, amici: I have four living rooms, with four walls in each. There are one-one plane hangin' on each walls. As I enter into a room and look onto one plane, that will come with me to that contest... ".
I never forget him, too.   

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
In regards to the "Format" what is the reasoning behind the undercarriage extreme undercarriage camber?
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 06:48:11 PM »
In regards to the "Format" what is the reasoning behind the undercarriage extreme undercarriage camber?
Chris.

Bob Gialdini published his Olympic in the 1963 American Modeler Annual which is a classic on CL Stunt.  His Olympic featured the wing mounted gear with the struts canted inboard similar to this Salenek Format.  Gialdini wrote "I tried to alleviate the effect of the wheels being outboard by sweeping the gear in toward the CG.  Actually, the wheels and pants are in about the exact location as the previous Olympics [fuselage mounted gear] so that the only weight added outboard is the struts and the landing gear platform..."

What I could not understand is Gialdini was meticulous about keeping weight concentrated as close as possible to the CG.  So, with his canted in struts, he will have the same weight as struts mounted inboard canted out to the same wheel location, but more weight further away from the CG.  Something I did not understand then and do not see in need to do so other than appearance.  I do not see that there is any advantage in landing characteristics when one wheel touches down before the other with any wing mounted gear configuration.

Other than the appearance (which to me looks OK), I cannot see that there is any advantage to raked in struts to raked out struts when the wheels are in the same position.  There is a slight weight increase because of the longer struts than if a strut perpendicular to the wing is used.

Keith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 07:00:52 PM »
Hi Keith,
               Thanks for the reply.
I am grasping at straws here but the only reason that I can conjure up is the main spar is centrally occupied by the take apart mechanism and it's attendant spar webbing, and it's attached at the point of nearest opportunity.
Add salt to taste.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »
I absolutely love the art of this Valentin Salenek plane!  Fantastic!!  What a master builder/finisher!  I would have loved to have met him.

Offline buzzplane

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 11:38:15 AM »
As was correctly reported, this is a Format, an original design by Valentin Salenek from 1985 (published in '86?), also built and flown by his brother Victor.
While there might be some aesthetic semblance to the Genesis, as I'm looking at the two articles in front of me, there is nothing common between the two in terms of construction or aerodynamics.  The Format uses a built up wing of ~720 in^2 area, aspect ratio 5.6, span 62.2", with a very blunt and thick (20%) airfoil, and a slight forward (!) sweep of the quarter chord.  Horizontal tail is also built up, comprises 23% of the wing area, and weighs a svelte 2.12 oz.  The most unusual for that time was a whopping 19" hinge-to-hinge tail moment, something that wasn't seen again until the mid/late-2010's.
The fuselage is a glass-balsa-glass vacuum molded sandwich, which helped the author to achieve an impressive all-up weight of 59 oz. All built up surfaces were covered in mylar, and the entire plane was finished with polyurethane enamels. The airplane had removable wings, horizontal tail, 2-piece fuselage, allowing it to fit inside a 32"x16"x10" travel case.  It was powered by an original design 9.3 cc rear-intake rear-exhaust two-stroke with variable-area exhaust stinger, spinning a hand-carved 3 blade 13" basswood prop.
The author took great risks packing many original solutions into one design, and yet had been able to repeatedly win a spot on the national team, which is a feat not unlike winning the US Nats.  Valentin has dedicated his entire life to the sport of control line aerobatics, publishing several innovative designs along the way, and had inspired and mentored many aspiring young stunt pilots.
He passed away on May 12, 2020.

thank you much, Buzz

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:48 PM »
Think a part of the inward canted gear leg , s to soften hard blows to the wing , in landing . If the wire from the leg is fore & aft in the wing, definately so .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 10:54:36 PM »
By Criekey ! :

The famous design of the cord model by Valentin Salenek "Championship Novelty 85"

Everything about this cordless model is unusual. Increased dimensions, weight, specific load and engine cubic capacity, unconventional proportions of the empennage arms and geometric dimensions of the wing, an organic combination of plane contours and original fuselage outlines - all indicate the designer's desire to find a single optimal solution in the most complex and at the same time popular aerobatic class.
---------------------
New findings in aerodynamics and the design of individual units have given the model as a whole unique aerobatic properties. A successful compromise of stability and high maneuverability, low sensitivity to wind, unpretentiousness of the model in handling all figures - these are the characteristics of the cordova of the famous Moscow athlete Valentin Salenek, who attracted everyone's attention at the 1985 USSR Championship. They allow us to say: this technique can become the "progenitor" of the future generation of acrobatic cord models.

The new aerobatic model has detachable wing and stabilizer planes, keel, landing gear. The connector is also introduced into the fuselage at the flap attachment point. As a result, the disassembled line aerobatic model with all the launch equipment can be placed in a box measuring 250X400 X800 mm.
----------------------------
   The fuselage connectors behind the wing and along the keel provide convenient access to all adjustable control units and allow you to quickly match the flap and elevator hog arms to match the athlete's handling requirements.

A large number of docking points does not diminish the reliability of the model. The experience gained in the process of working with aerobatic models of this type and the rather long-term operation of the last option showed that the careful execution of the connector parts completely insures against surprises even when flying in the most unfavorable weather conditions.

In terms of weight, the fully-disassembled model is easily brought into compliance with any, the most stringent standards (of course, with the correct execution of the nodes). The advantages of transporting and debugging such equipment are undeniable.
--------------------------------------
The technology for making aerobatics basically corresponds to that described in " MK " No. 6 and 7 for 1983. (Pilotage of the eighties) The fuselage of the model is a carrying sandwich monocoque from an outer power fiberglass "crust", a layer of foam filler and an inner thin fiberglass "skin".
===============================================
   The front sub-engine frame (re-adhesive of six layers of plywood 1 mm thick), after cutting the relief windows, is sheathed on both sides with the same plywood. Frames are installed at the ends of the detachable parts of the fuselage - two sheets of plywood 1 mm thick (glued and lightened, on the outside the third layer-skin is glued).

To increase the reliability of fastening the frames with the supporting gluing of the fuselage in the foam breaks, balsa strips-inserts are placed on the molded power "crusts".

The inner layer is formed by glass cloth 0.02 mm thick. During assembly, the monocoque structure is cut under the frames to the outer skin. Balsa frames are pre-mounted along the runners (the joint line is vertical) in the right and left parts of the fuselage gluing.

Before final assemblyall frames are adjusted to their places, balsa half frames are glued in on the PVA emulsion, the frames of the fuselage connector are pulled together using standard model units with a gasket along the junction of a balsa sheet 1 mm thick (this size must be maintained over the entire area of ​​the joint, otherwise the tail section may later go to the side ). Then the finished wing and the stabilizer are cut into the gluing, the relative position of these parts is verified and the "filling" of the aerobatic is roughly mounted. Having carefully thought out the sequence of assembly operations, control of the symmetry of the model, the functioning of mechanics and its debugging, they fasten the fuselage to the wing and stabilizer with epoxy glue. After the resin has hardened, the screws tightening the fuselage parts are unscrewed, and the gluing is carefully cut along the balsa insert. The joint planes are carefully adjusted to each other.

The box-section keel ribs are assembled from 1 mm thick balsa plates and mounted on the fuselage. Their outer surfaces are covered with thin mica paper on parquet varnish, putty with a composition of talc and parquet varnish (a layer of minimum thickness is applied, covering only microracosins on the balsa pores), the same composition is applied to the non-glued areas of the fuselage, the entire surface is cleaned.

A few words about the features of the split wing manufacturing . As in the fuselage assembly, the butt ribs (balsa, sheathed with 1 mm plywood on the docking side) are pulled together with a little effort by the standard wing connector assemblies so as not to crush the balsa two-millimeter false rib-gasket, after which they are mounted in the wing frame. Before that, it is necessary to put their mounting imitators made of wood in the places where the studs are installed. Then you can start covering the wing, its forehead and central part with balsa veneer. The finished frame is carefully sawn along the parting lines, the ends are sanded and additionally sheathed with millimeter plywood. Retaining pins are installed, the wing is reassembled and smoked.

Sheathing of bearing planes - lavsan film . The consoles are covered 2-3 times with liquid glue BF-2 with sanding each layer after it dries, finally another layer is applied, without stripping, and after drying, a film is applied with the painted side out. This is how the entire surface of the consoles is sheathed, the endings are finished with mica paper on parquet varnish, and subsequently only places not covered with lavsan film and the places where the paper transitions to the film are putty.

The stabilizer and rudders with flaps are inlaid, sheathed also with lavsan film. The control system is designed to allow easy replacement of the bushings during operation. All parameters of the control system are adjustable over a wide range.

======================================

The model is equipped with an automatic engine shutdown,triggered by the tension of the cords in 12-13 kg, this value is easily adjusted due to the design of the machine. Its mechanism is mounted between the flanges of the wing spar, the executive part - a rod with a needle and a pawl - on the rear wall of the engine. The dog is supplied with a flexible rod in a Bowden sheath, coming from the automatic stop. The control rocker is made of D16T sheet 3 mm thick; on the machine it is hung with an axle made of OBC 0 2.5 mm wire and a BRB-2 bronze bearing sleeve. Two guides are mounted on the rod, the upper one simultaneously serves as a cable drive. The groove for the cable termination is oblong, therefore the actuator of the executive mechanics remains stationary throughout the entire range of the flight tension of the cord. The actuation forces are adjusted with a screw with a slot for a screwdriver, which is fixed after debugging with a wire cotter. The power spring of the machine is wound from wire OBC 0 1.5 mm. The exit of the cord from the wing allows adjustment of the distance between them and the joint position of the cord relative to the center of gravity of the model. The divergence of the suspension points on the control handle is 100 mm.

The finishing of the model is extremely simplified. Areas with lavsan coating practically do not need puttying and creating a subcoat under the paint. The film perfectly closes even large balsa pores. And in order to eliminate minor imperfections in the surface finish, the model is painted twice with polyurethane enamels. After complete drying, the first layer is lightly sanded, if necessary, a local putty is applied, then the final layer of paint is applied. The centering of a complete model should be on the wing spar. By adjusting the flight characteristics to the individual characteristics of piloting, the center of gravity can be shifted up to 10 mm in both directions.

The model is designed for a home-made glowing engine with a working volume of 9.3 cm3. Piston diameter 23.2 mm, stroke 22 mm, suction distribution - by a cylindrical valve in the rear wall of the crankcase. The crankshaft rotates in 10X22 and 7X17 ball bearings. Gas distribution phases: exhaust - 136 °, bypass - 120 °, intake - 180 °, start of intake - 40 ° after BDC. Diameter of the carburetor foot is 5.6 mm (ring type jet).

Engineequipped with an effective home-made muffler, which is mounted on a removable engine mount and mates with the exhaust pipe according to the principle known to speeding people. The motor frame is milled from alloy D16T; it is fixed on the sub-frame frame with four M4 screws through rubber shock absorbers. The tank - a round plastic bottle with a diameter of 42 mm and a length of 120 mm - is located along the axis of the engine crankshaft. The best results were obtained with a three-bladed propeller made of basswood. In conclusion, I would like to note that the highest requirements are imposed on the moto installation. Figuratively speaking, it is not the model that is flying, but the engine, which largely determines the behavior of the aerobatic in all flight modes. Without a powerful, reliable and responsive motor, the best technology can be “non-volatile”. In the vast majority of cases, modelers do not take this into account, probably the most important factor, they build aerobatic line models according to the drawings of popular aerobatic models and ... fail. Then they refer to inaccuracies in the drawings, publication errors and any other reasons, forgetting the main thing - the famous model was created for a specific power plant. And its replacement entails the need to design the entire aerobatic model from scratch.

Valentin Salenek
From the magazine Modelist Constructor
Read the beginning of Valentin Salenek's article at the link:  Cordless aerobatic model "Aerobatics of the Eighties"
=======================================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberated from Evgeny Khromov site .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 11:06:24 PM »
" -Valentin Salenek, while communicating on the forum, answered some questions. " ( Same site . plenty more info there .

Please tell the young aerobatic pilot about the Kulon engine

The pendant is a motor-built on the basis of my motor by Evgeny Muratov! You won't find them now

"  What engines do you fly? (2008)

In 1979 I created my engine, one-piece milled 8cc cube. It was copied and called "Pendant". In 1982, I built a chill mold and made 9 cm. Cube on it, my brother and I flew until 1995, then there was 10 ka until 2003. Now I have returned from 9 cm. Cube. Here are my latest engines. "

Offline buzzplane

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
By Criekey ! :

The famous design of the cord model by Valentin Salenek "Championship Novelty 85"

Everything about this cordless model is unusual. Increased dimensions, weight, specific load and engine cubic capacity, unconventional proportions of the empennage arms and geometric dimensions of the wing, an organic combination of plane contours and original fuselage outlines - all indicate the designer's desire to find a single optimal solution in the most complex and at the same time popular aerobatic class.
---------------------
New findings in aerodynamics and the design of individual units have given the model as a whole unique aerobatic properties. A successful compromise of stability and high maneuverability, low sensitivity to wind, unpretentiousness of the model in handling all figures - these are the characteristics of the cordova of the famous Moscow athlete Valentin Salenek, who attracted everyone's attention at the 1985 USSR Championship. They allow us to say: this technique can become the "progenitor" of the future generation of acrobatic cord models.

The new aerobatic model has detachable wing and stabilizer planes, keel, landing gear. The connector is also introduced into the fuselage at the flap attachment point. As a result, the disassembled line aerobatic model with all the launch equipment can be placed in a box measuring 250X400 X800 mm.
----------------------------
   The fuselage connectors behind the wing and along the keel provide convenient access to all adjustable control units and allow you to quickly match the flap and elevator hog arms to match the athlete's handling requirements.

A large number of docking points does not diminish the reliability of the model. The experience gained in the process of working with aerobatic models of this type and the rather long-term operation of the last option showed that the careful execution of the connector parts completely insures against surprises even when flying in the most unfavorable weather conditions.

In terms of weight, the fully-disassembled model is easily brought into compliance with any, the most stringent standards (of course, with the correct execution of the nodes). The advantages of transporting and debugging such equipment are undeniable.
--------------------------------------
The technology for making aerobatics basically corresponds to that described in " MK " No. 6 and 7 for 1983. (Pilotage of the eighties) The fuselage of the model is a carrying sandwich monocoque from an outer power fiberglass "crust", a layer of foam filler and an inner thin fiberglass "skin".
===============================================
   The front sub-engine frame (re-adhesive of six layers of plywood 1 mm thick), after cutting the relief windows, is sheathed on both sides with the same plywood. Frames are installed at the ends of the detachable parts of the fuselage - two sheets of plywood 1 mm thick (glued and lightened, on the outside the third layer-skin is glued).

To increase the reliability of fastening the frames with the supporting gluing of the fuselage in the foam breaks, balsa strips-inserts are placed on the molded power "crusts".

The inner layer is formed by glass cloth 0.02 mm thick. During assembly, the monocoque structure is cut under the frames to the outer skin. Balsa frames are pre-mounted along the runners (the joint line is vertical) in the right and left parts of the fuselage gluing.

Before final assemblyall frames are adjusted to their places, balsa half frames are glued in on the PVA emulsion, the frames of the fuselage connector are pulled together using standard model units with a gasket along the junction of a balsa sheet 1 mm thick (this size must be maintained over the entire area of ​​the joint, otherwise the tail section may later go to the side ). Then the finished wing and the stabilizer are cut into the gluing, the relative position of these parts is verified and the "filling" of the aerobatic is roughly mounted. Having carefully thought out the sequence of assembly operations, control of the symmetry of the model, the functioning of mechanics and its debugging, they fasten the fuselage to the wing and stabilizer with epoxy glue. After the resin has hardened, the screws tightening the fuselage parts are unscrewed, and the gluing is carefully cut along the balsa insert. The joint planes are carefully adjusted to each other.

The box-section keel ribs are assembled from 1 mm thick balsa plates and mounted on the fuselage. Their outer surfaces are covered with thin mica paper on parquet varnish, putty with a composition of talc and parquet varnish (a layer of minimum thickness is applied, covering only microracosins on the balsa pores), the same composition is applied to the non-glued areas of the fuselage, the entire surface is cleaned.

A few words about the features of the split wing manufacturing . As in the fuselage assembly, the butt ribs (balsa, sheathed with 1 mm plywood on the docking side) are pulled together with a little effort by the standard wing connector assemblies so as not to crush the balsa two-millimeter false rib-gasket, after which they are mounted in the wing frame. Before that, it is necessary to put their mounting imitators made of wood in the places where the studs are installed. Then you can start covering the wing, its forehead and central part with balsa veneer. The finished frame is carefully sawn along the parting lines, the ends are sanded and additionally sheathed with millimeter plywood. Retaining pins are installed, the wing is reassembled and smoked.

Sheathing of bearing planes - lavsan film . The consoles are covered 2-3 times with liquid glue BF-2 with sanding each layer after it dries, finally another layer is applied, without stripping, and after drying, a film is applied with the painted side out. This is how the entire surface of the consoles is sheathed, the endings are finished with mica paper on parquet varnish, and subsequently only places not covered with lavsan film and the places where the paper transitions to the film are putty.

The stabilizer and rudders with flaps are inlaid, sheathed also with lavsan film. The control system is designed to allow easy replacement of the bushings during operation. All parameters of the control system are adjustable over a wide range.

======================================

The model is equipped with an automatic engine shutdown,triggered by the tension of the cords in 12-13 kg, this value is easily adjusted due to the design of the machine. Its mechanism is mounted between the flanges of the wing spar, the executive part - a rod with a needle and a pawl - on the rear wall of the engine. The dog is supplied with a flexible rod in a Bowden sheath, coming from the automatic stop. The control rocker is made of D16T sheet 3 mm thick; on the machine it is hung with an axle made of OBC 0 2.5 mm wire and a BRB-2 bronze bearing sleeve. Two guides are mounted on the rod, the upper one simultaneously serves as a cable drive. The groove for the cable termination is oblong, therefore the actuator of the executive mechanics remains stationary throughout the entire range of the flight tension of the cord. The actuation forces are adjusted with a screw with a slot for a screwdriver, which is fixed after debugging with a wire cotter. The power spring of the machine is wound from wire OBC 0 1.5 mm. The exit of the cord from the wing allows adjustment of the distance between them and the joint position of the cord relative to the center of gravity of the model. The divergence of the suspension points on the control handle is 100 mm.

The finishing of the model is extremely simplified. Areas with lavsan coating practically do not need puttying and creating a subcoat under the paint. The film perfectly closes even large balsa pores. And in order to eliminate minor imperfections in the surface finish, the model is painted twice with polyurethane enamels. After complete drying, the first layer is lightly sanded, if necessary, a local putty is applied, then the final layer of paint is applied. The centering of a complete model should be on the wing spar. By adjusting the flight characteristics to the individual characteristics of piloting, the center of gravity can be shifted up to 10 mm in both directions.

The model is designed for a home-made glowing engine with a working volume of 9.3 cm3. Piston diameter 23.2 mm, stroke 22 mm, suction distribution - by a cylindrical valve in the rear wall of the crankcase. The crankshaft rotates in 10X22 and 7X17 ball bearings. Gas distribution phases: exhaust - 136 °, bypass - 120 °, intake - 180 °, start of intake - 40 ° after BDC. Diameter of the carburetor foot is 5.6 mm (ring type jet).

Engineequipped with an effective home-made muffler, which is mounted on a removable engine mount and mates with the exhaust pipe according to the principle known to speeding people. The motor frame is milled from alloy D16T; it is fixed on the sub-frame frame with four M4 screws through rubber shock absorbers. The tank - a round plastic bottle with a diameter of 42 mm and a length of 120 mm - is located along the axis of the engine crankshaft. The best results were obtained with a three-bladed propeller made of basswood. In conclusion, I would like to note that the highest requirements are imposed on the moto installation. Figuratively speaking, it is not the model that is flying, but the engine, which largely determines the behavior of the aerobatic in all flight modes. Without a powerful, reliable and responsive motor, the best technology can be “non-volatile”. In the vast majority of cases, modelers do not take this into account, probably the most important factor, they build aerobatic line models according to the drawings of popular aerobatic models and ... fail. Then they refer to inaccuracies in the drawings, publication errors and any other reasons, forgetting the main thing - the famous model was created for a specific power plant. And its replacement entails the need to design the entire aerobatic model from scratch.

Valentin Salenek
From the magazine Modelist Constructor
Read the beginning of Valentin Salenek's article at the link:  Cordless aerobatic model "Aerobatics of the Eighties"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberated from Evgeny Khromov site .
Thank you very Much

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 05:56:13 PM »
For the astute from 1985 to 2025

This advice will stand the test of time, and is exactly why , handbuilt, electric vs pipe debate wont end tommorow.

Figuratively speaking, it is not the model that is flying, but the engine, which largely determines the behavior of the aerobatic in all flight modes. Without a powerful, reliable and responsive motor, the best technology can be “non-volatile”
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »
Does anyone know what this stuff says?  My spanish isn't very good...

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 08:04:30 PM »
Does anyone know what this stuff says?  My spanish isn't very good...

It gives weight breakdown in grams.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 06:46:29 AM »
Thanks Mike!

From the plans you can see the very high level that Salenek designed at.  The picture of his shark that I posted shows that he was quite the artist, too.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here