News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ident of plane builder  (Read 2198 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Ident of plane builder
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:50:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this is a plane from the NW.  It says "Venus", but when I look up plans the Venus what  I get isn't the same as this.  Could it be a "Gypsy" in drag?  Any source of PDF plans for this plane?  Beautiful little plane!  Congrats to whoever the builder is.

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Ident of plane builder
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
It's a Venus as designed by the late Mario Rondielli. IIRC Mario placed 2nd in open stunt at the USA Nats back in the 60s. I have a letter and the plan about this design from Mario. The plan was beautifully drawn by Jerry Worth.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:37:32 PM by Dennis Saydak »
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
In fact, Mario placed second at the 1964 Nats, just behind Jim Silhavy who was flying a Nobler, and just ahead of Larry Scarinzi who was flying his original design Blue Angel. Mario's near win came after having hit a pole (or some such object) the day before the finals. The outside wing was completely torn off! He repaired the ship and almost won. The stories, the stories, the stories....

Not sure who built the one in the photos, but it sure looks like Pete Peterson's work. It's just gorgeous!

Bob Hunt

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 02:25:43 PM »
As Bob states, the picture I uploaded above shows a repaired outer wing panel.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:00:53 PM »
I've checked AeroFred and OuterZone wiith no luck.
Dennis, do you have a FedEx Kinkos nearby to scan the plans into a pdf?
I'd be happy to pay for scanning costs.
Thanks to all for your responces

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
In fact, Mario placed second at the 1964 Nats, just behind Jim Silhavy who was flying a Nobler, and just ahead of Larry Scarinzi who was flying his original design Blue Angel. Mario's near win came after having hit a pole (or some such object) the day before the finals. The outside wing was completely torn off! He repaired the ship and almost won. The stories, the stories, the stories....

Not sure who built the one in the photos, but it sure looks like Pete Peterson's work. It's just gorgeous!

Bob Hunt

The name sounds familiar to me, and I believe he was a friend of Bob Gialdini also. Might have been from the upper midwest? I remember a reunion of sorts at a early 1990's VSC when the banquet was held in the small room at the Roadway Inn?? Does this ring a bell with you Bob?
    It is a nice looking model, maybe some influence from the Grondel Nobler lines? Or did that come later than 1964?

Type at you later,
        Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:09:31 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 03:16:44 PM »
That's a Venus. It's a glorious example of Pete Peterson's building and finishing skill.  Pete detailed the process of the translucent finish in a comprehensive Stunt News tutorial.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 03:23:45 PM »
I had the evening meal with Mario Rondenelli and Bob Gialdini at a long ago VSC. Mario Told me that His appearance points were changed after the crash, (and before His second flight) which resulted in His second place finish. Larry Scarinzi won third due to an overrun on his second flight.

Mario and Bob were old time flying partners.
De Hill

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »
It's a Venus as designed by the late Mario Rondielli. IIRC Mario placed 2nd in open stunt at the USA Nats back in the 60s. I have a letter and the plan about this design from Mario. The plan was beautifully drawn by Jerry Worth.
Interesting, I was a Senior at those NATS and I had a similar experience with appearance points.  A spectator put her hand through my outboard wing right before appearance judging and I had to rebuild the center and recover it. No CA in '64!  They let me repair it and appearance judged it the next morning before the 1st round. Even though the CD had seen the plane before it was damaged, they made me put my AMA number back on with some black dope I scrounged up before they would let me fly.  Where is his AMA number?

I ended up with 18 out of 40 which would have been enough to win if they had remembered to put them on my score sheet!
Ended up 6th.  I remember that plane and I also remember thinking Larry had won till I saw the results.  Didn't know he had an overrun.  Lots of memories from those NATS.  Some of them good!

Ken

I loaded that picture into a viewer and a number might be there Something resembling 477xx may be there so - nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:50:02 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 05:20:55 PM »
Brent Williams is correct That it’s a Venus built by Pete Peterson.

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
I've checked AeroFred and OuterZone wiith no luck.
Dennis, do you have a FedEx Kinkos nearby to scan the plans into a pdf?
I'd be happy to pay for scanning costs.
Thanks to all for your responces

Hello Frank; I live in a rural area in Canada and I avoid going to the big city for anything these days except medical appointments.  :##
Having said that, I do have an extra set of plans for Mario,s Venus that I can mail to you. If you want it in a mailing tube it will be expensive since international postal costs in a tube are expensive. However I can fold the plan and mail it in a box or envelope at lesser cost. The plan would be free other than postage at cost.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:02:15 PM by Dennis Saydak »

Online Mark Gerber

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
Here's a photo from the NW Skyraiders web page of Pete getting ready to start his nice Venus with Rod Klaus holding.

Mark Gerber

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
Hi Dennis
Folded would be fine,I would appreciate that.
Frank Williams
15410 Park Estates Lane
Houston, Texas 77062

Thanks again to all for your responses.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 08:10:50 AM »
   If a digital copy of the plan is ever developed, I am interested in a copy or a hard copy of the plan.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 12:59:34 PM »
Dan
When I get a set of the plans from Dennis, I'll make a pdf of them and post here.

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »
Frank, your plan will be in the mail on Tuesday of next week. In the meantime here's the notes from Mario about his design. As you can see he was wonderful about sharing information.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
Dan
When I get a set of the plans from Dennis, I'll make a pdf of them and post here.

Thanks Frank. you could probably massage a Nobler into one of these, but I don't think I could do all the cures and round edges by eyeball!! That's what I find so attractive about the airplane.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 09:52:33 PM »
Dennis -

I have not given up on building a "Venus," as I still think it to be a great classic design, with some very attractive and sensible qualities for its time. It's hard not to love that model. I just had the plans out a week or so ago (believe it or not, they have provided much enjoyment) and reviewed Mario's notes you sent me years ago. I hope there is still light enough balsa available. Mario was a generous guy, as are you. Thanks again.

SK

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 02:25:57 PM »
All

I finally got out and was able to scan the plans that Dennis sent me.  The PDF is attached.  So many beautiful planes, so little time.

Frank

PS ... the .pdf is not attached ... its too big for an attachment ....... Sparky .. what do I do?  its 2.76 MB

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 02:11:39 AM »
Here’s a picture of the 60 size.
Peter White sells the plans for both sizes. (Or he will send a PDF by email, no charge)
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here