News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ideas for a Paint Stand  (Read 985 times)

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Ideas for a Paint Stand
« on: January 04, 2024, 06:14:42 AM »
     I have three projects going this Winter and they are all Silkspan or Koverall and dope finishes. The limited painting I've done in the past I simply supported the project on blocks and shot one side at a time. As I want to let the dope cure longer between coats and to keep things moving, I want to be able to shoot a complete coat at a time. I'm looking for ideas for a paint stand. I have an old tripod I can use as the base. Then what?
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ideas for a Paint Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 06:33:35 AM »
Marty,

There are numerous ways to configure a stand to paint models. I ended up with a vertically braced 2x4 attached to a movable platform with casters on it. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/4" plumbing flange and 6" pipe nipple I attached to the 2x4. I used a 10" length of steel rod that fit tightly into the id of the nipple. I removed (cut) a longitudinal portion of the end of the rod to allow a tab to be screwed to it. I made up a series of tabs with screw holes sizes for the various engines I use. When ready to paint I fasten the rod and plate to the engine bearers, this allows me to rotate the model to paint (spray) all surfaces without touching it.  If you need photos let me know.

Steve

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 06:49:00 AM »
Marty,
I built a simple paint stand from a base with caster wheels from Home Depot, some 3/4" iron pipe, flange mount, PVC Compression Tee and section of broom stick (or dowl that fits the compression tee) with a plywood mount plate that bolts to the motor mount (you cut a slot in one end of the dowl and bolt it in). This has served me well and I was able to make up pieces that fit on my work bench for holding fuse or wings during finishing too.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 07:21:01 AM »
This has served me well and I was able to make up pieces that fit on my work bench for holding fuse or wings during finishing too.

Best,    DennisT
I like the compression Tee.  Never thought of that.  Using it on the table vise really gives you a third hand!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 07:38:51 AM »
The traditional paint stand did not work well for my first electric model (too much stress on the 3D printed motor mount) so I used my portable work bench that I had purchased from Harbor Freight for $99.  It came with preexisting holes and dowels for wood working that made it easy to hold the plane.  I did cover the bench with a drop cloth before shooting dope.

Don

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 07:51:59 AM »
Thanks Dennis! A picture worth 1000 words. That'll work.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 08:03:06 AM »
  Go to this recent thread and see photos of what Mike Griffin is using.  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/pretender-on-stand/    It looks like he's got one of the Byron Barker stands that Byron offered through his CF Slattery fabrication company. I have one but it's loaned out right now. It's all steel tubing, comes apart for easy storage and can hold bog or little models. The trunnion can be set to any position and then locked in place. Byron sold a lot of these and I'll bet there are some sitting in the corner of some shops not being used. If you have the fabicating skills and facility accessible to you, it's also easy to build.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 08:51:35 AM »
Marty,

As Dan said, I bought this stand from Byron years ago and I think he sold a lot of them back then.  It does come apart for storage if you wish.  It is made from square tubular steel and allows the plane to rotate on an axis 360 degrees so you can paint from any angle.  If you can find one, I would recommend buying it.  They will last virtually forever.  I have sanded mine down a couple of times and sprayed Rustoleum rust primer on it.  I need to do that again. 

Mike

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 10:36:44 AM »
I built a duplicate of the Byron Barker stand and used it only once.  It is a take apart made from square steel tubing.  I have no need for it and would be willing to sell it for an appropriate offer.  Shipping is going to be pretty substantial.  I can post pics if there is any interest.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 11:01:01 AM »
Anyone can make a paint stand cheap, cheap, cheap. You don't need a stand that casters, make a simple stanchion out of scrap 3/4" plywood and 2x4 to fix the pipe to. Here's mine showing the engine tabs for the OS LA and FP 35 to 46, a second for the Fox 35 and another for OS LA and FP 25. The rod has a flat side to interchange the tabs. Disregard the plywood patterns they were laying on the counter.

Steve

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 04:29:23 PM »
Anyone can make a paint stand cheap, cheap, cheap. You don't need a stand that casters, make a simple stanchion out of scrap 3/4" plywood and 2x4 to fix the pipe to. Here's mine showing the engine tabs for the OS LA and FP 35 to 46, a second for the Fox 35 and another for OS LA and FP 25. The rod has a flat side to interchange the tabs. Disregard the plywood patterns they were laying on the counter.

Steve
Wow!  If it's true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then Steve ... I am looking to flatter you all over my workshop!!  I like it!!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 07:14:11 PM »
Here's one that uses scrapped steel sprinkler pipe. Works fine....

A pretty good thread with more ideas:  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/paint-stand-63445/msg655870/#msg655870

Offline Mike Danford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 06:59:06 AM »
I put the engine adapter on a musicians microphone stand.  Had to weight down the legs a bit… easy to rotate, easy to store.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 09:09:52 AM »
It's essential a large model cantilevered out doesn't topple, that would be a disaster.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here