News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have fallen love and her name is Spectre  (Read 2200 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I have fallen love and her name is Spectre
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
       Hello All:

I have been using Spectre fishing for awhile and I have found that I prefer it over steel lines. Has anybody else been smitten by this product?

Frank McCune

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I have fallen love and her name is Spectre
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »
Is this the braided or the solid monofilament?

Steve

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
I have been using Spectre fishing for awhile and I have found that I prefer it over steel lines. Has anybody else been smitten by this product?

Do you mean "Spectra" line?  Note the extensive threads on the topic, and the rule proposal that will make it legal for competition use, if passed.

I have done limited testing, but it didn't seem to be much/any improvement in performance in the conditions I tested it. It would take a lot more extensive testing for me to make any useful evaluation VS metallic lines.

Brett

Offline Billy Fields

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
Spectra line is all I use. Love it. Always inspect the line by the knots for fray. Happy flying.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
I have a place I can fly over 6  in grass with a small take off spot using a stooge . using 30 lb test spectra lines on my 1/2 A .after landing in the grass I can drag the plane back to the starting spot ,run the lines out and I am ready for another flight
rad racer

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »
Hello
There has been much discussion about Spectra line on Stunthangar but gradual acceptance and legalization seems to be occurring. Here in New Zealand we voted recently to accept Spectra for a number of events including Sportsman Stunt, Classic Stunt and Combat were participants agree as well as general club/sport activities. We have based the line selection on a model weight and a pull test rather then a mandatory line diameter . I use 30lb, 65, 80 and 100lb depending on model weight and pull test "G"s applied by flying class (eg 10G for stunt 20G for combat). Flying at our club meet yesterday no body used steel as most like the convenience of Spectra especially for a relaxed Sunday fun flying session. I still use my 18" steel for 'FAI' F2b and racing events and to avoid mixed line in combat . Spectra does make some models come alive especially small models which benefit from thie light weight the most.
 If you use Power Pro Maxcuatro based on lb test and not line size you get the most benefit and avoid cheap spectra copy brands that stretch like rubber bands.
Regards Gerald

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
I have a place I can fly over 6  in grass with a small take off spot using a stooge . using 30 lb test spectra lines on my 1/2 A .after landing in the grass I can drag the plane back to the starting spot ,run the lines out and I am ready for another flight

That's the one place it is clearly an advantage, it's not nearly as fragile and prone to damage as stainless steel, particularly on smaller airplanes. .008 stranded is ridiculously fragile.

Brett

Online John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
I've not yet tried it on the big stuff, but when a small quantity came my way I made up a set of 35 ft. lines and flew them with a little 1/2A trainer (a KeilKraft 'Champ' with a vintage Mills .75 diesel) that I'd made to get an old friend back into C/L flying.  It would normally fly on 25 ft. Terylene (UK equivalent of Dacron) lines: anything longer would be too draggy.  To my surprise, the 35 ft. Spectra lines worked beautifully: the model seemed to fly just as fast, with plenty of line tension, but of course the rate of rotation was much slower and my friend could manage without getting dizzy.  I'm looking forward to comparing Spectra against the steel 'Staystrate' lines I usually use with larger models.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
I've not yet tried it on the big stuff, but when a small quantity came my way I made up a set of 35 ft. lines and flew them with a little 1/2A trainer (a KeilKraft 'Champ' with a vintage Mills .75 diesel) that I'd made to get an old friend back into C/L flying.  It would normally fly on 25 ft. Terylene (UK equivalent of Dacron) lines: anything longer would be too draggy.  To my surprise, the 35 ft. Spectra lines worked beautifully: the model seemed to fly just as fast, with plenty of line tension, but of course the rate of rotation was much slower and my friend could manage without getting dizzy.  I'm looking forward to comparing Spectra against the steel 'Staystrate' lines I usually use with larger models.

My very limited experience is that you will probably prefer the control response with the StayStrates, because the Spectra variants I have tried seem to have substantially greater stretch. What is probably the first order of business when they are legal is to determine what  size Spectra lines you need to equal the compliance of, say, .018 stranded, and then see if the drag is excessive. They will certainly be lighter, which suggests that line whip will be vastly easier to deal with.

Brett

Online John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 05:21:17 AM »
Brett:
Doubtless true.  Staystrate (and its progenitor, Laystrate) feels noticeably less 'springy' than the various 7-strand steel lines I've used, and I imagine the difference with Spectra will be even more marked.  Still, for convenience when sport flying on a rough grass field with .15 - .19 powered Peacemakers and Flite Streaks, I will probably find Spectra adequate.

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Brett:
Doubtless true.  Staystrate (and its progenitor, Laystrate) feels noticeably less 'springy' than the various 7-strand steel lines I've used, and I imagine the difference with Spectra will be even more marked.  Still, for convenience when sport flying on a rough grass field with .15 - .19 powered Peacemakers and Flite Streaks, I will probably find Spectra adequate.

One of the experiments I would try is to get a larger enough Spectra line to match the Staystrates in terms of compliance, then see what the other side effects might be. They should still be much lighter, even if they are much larger. They will also be much draggier.

Note that the current sizes of Staystrates fall in a bad spot for the current AMA pull test chart. If that goes away, the ".015" Staystrates and the ~.016 Ukrainian/Yatsenko-style lines will be viable here. Right now, they happen to fall right on the edge of the line size breaks, too close for me to want to risk it (the risk being showing up at a contest, being recorded 1/2 ounce or so over, then having to switch to the next size lines).  A lot of people are right around the edge of the switch from .015 to .018. (64 ounces)

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
In a way I hope the new line proposal passes.  If ti don't take the pull test it is not usable.  But I did break a set of .012 cable 35 foot on a 1/2A stunter after it passed pull test when the plane came across the circle and hit the end of the lines.  Lucky engine quit at same time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
When my current stock of steel lines are gone, I wont replace them. 

I think spectra are superior in every area except drag.  They are dragy. 

They are so easy to take care of I think they are safe as steel lines.

Highly visible
inexpensive
Available nearly anywhere
Kink resistant
Lighter
easy to terminate
easy to store

the combat guys like them.  The stunt guys will in time. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: I have fallen love and her name is Spectra
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »
The PowerPro MaxCuatro spectra material is 25% thinner for the same strength.  Different weaving technique and process for the spectra fibers.

A lot of the combat guys have started using this stuff.  Less stretch and less drag.

http://www.powerpro.com/content/powerpro/northamerica/us/en/homepage/PDP.P-MAXCUATRO.html

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »

I've been using Spectra lines exclusively, from Combat down to 1/2A, for the last three years. What clinched it was finally being able to fly the pattern (with my raggedy planes) because of the lightness of the lines. The tip weight was now adaquate, the engines didn't have to work as hard, tension on the overheads, and you can step and trip on them all day long with no damage. They are draggy, but at my skill level, it doesn't matter.

I did experience both 65# test lines breaking on my Taurus due to abrasion against the rusty music wire leadout quides. I buried that report over in Old Time Stunt.

Spectra is currently AMA legal in Combat, sport and demo flying. Legalization for all C/L events was rejectected in the last rules cycle without any explanation from the NO's except for a detailed account of his vote by Keith Trostle here on the forum. Perhaps if we contact the C/L board members who voted it down and find out why, those issues could addressed. Can't see that anything has changed to think that it will pass on the next cycle if submitted.

Ara

Offline Fred Constantine

• Ensign
  • C/L Retread
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
Since we are discussing Spectra lines again. I have a question for which I couldn't find an answer in the older thread. I tested some 50# Power Pro several years ago, and not being a fisherman my knots were a dismal mess.  So I used the usual AMA approved wire wrap with an eyelet. Is the wire wrap safe with Spectra?

Fred
Fred Constantine
Calistoga, CA   AMA 6798

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I have fallen love and her name is Spectra
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
The PowerPro MaxCuatro spectra material is 25% thinner for the same strength.  Different weaving technique and process for the spectra fibers.

A lot of the combat guys have started using this stuff.  Less stretch and less drag.

I switched to Maxquatro PowerPro from original sized PowerPro a couple years ago when it came out. Waaaayyyy less draggy and just as strong. Haven't had a failure yet.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
You may have fallen in love but remember, unless the rules change you can't take her to the prom.

Kwn
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
Since we are discussing Spectra lines again. I have a question for which I couldn't find an answer in the older thread. I tested some 50# Power Pro several years ago, and not being a fisherman my knots were a dismal mess.  So I used the usual AMA approved wire wrap with an eyelet. Is the wire wrap safe with Spectra?

Fred
Use this knot with the double loops and no eyelet is needed. Just use your favorite slide or scissor connector. Been doing it this way for over 10 years. Never had a knot or loop break. I have been "cut away" in a match but that happens with steel too. Anyone using eyelets and wrapping or using epoxy or CA on the knot is asking for trouble IMO. Tying them to rings is not a good idea either. IMO. Just put your connector on the double loop and you're done.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
You may have fallen in love but remember, unless the rules change you can't take her to the prom.

Kwn
Had her in the back seat for a few years now in Combat and we love her!! LL~ LL~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 09:08:15 PM »
This basically the knot I have been using, only single strand.  So far no problems on three different airplanes with .25 power.   Even made three line set for my Ringmaster Junior Trainer with throttle control.     My make a set for one of the older Ringmaster S-1 planes with Fox 35 stunt for power.   Also with care it is easy to get the lines the same length. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 01:32:47 AM »
Thanks to Mike for posting that method of tying that knot with the double loop. That makes perfect sense! I've been using Spiderwire Spectra for a few years now and I love it for the smaller models, especially for combat where you don't get those coil springs in your lines if you get tangled up. I use 10lb. for the 1/2A and 30lb. for the .15~.25 models.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:43:41 AM by Keith Renecle »
Keith R

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 06:52:34 AM »
Gentlemen,
What is the name of this knot, please?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »
Ken,

Spot on!

The most common knot recommend was the Palomar knot and that is what my clubs 1/2A flyers have been using.

Only problems we have had was (as you mentioned) fixing the knot with CA. A line break was the eventual result.

Also, one friend tied a set of lines at the field and found that Castor oil on his hands caused his knots to slip!

No one has claimed a line cut however.

Somewhere, I read that a combet flyer witnessed a line wrapped around the crank of a running combat engine until the engine stopped and continued flying after the lines were unwrapped!

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
Gentlemen,
What is the name of this knot, please?

Thanks in advance.

Palomar or a variant of the figure 8 knot or figure 8 follow loop. Basically the same knot, but with a hitch. Lol

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
I did some informal tests, with the doubled up uniknot ant the  and the knot shown above .  in 5 tests each the line failed away from the knot, and well about the test weight of the line.  So at some point it is as much about how well the knot is tied and not the knot selected 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
you can also buy glue especially made for Spectra lines.
Any brand names come to mind?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
I also used a Dacron sleeve the other casing from small para cord and that tested the best, it was difficult set up.  the know was a simple overhand knot, but getting teh sleeve in teh right place was difficult 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 08:43:43 PM »
www.charkbait.com
L

Appears to be a repackaged flexible CA.

Ara

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
wow, it looks like pretty normal CA is used. 

Zap and Bob Smith CA glue. 

http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=50
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here