News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I finally did it!  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
I finally did it!
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »
After two full summers I finally flew my first figure eights.  I have been messing around with my Ukey 35 and Dare Sporthawk learning to do wing overs, inside loops, and smooth landings for two summers now.  Today I flew my Brodak Baby Clown ARF and old Blackwidow.  I don't know what got into me but for some reason I decided to try a figure eight.  I ended up doing too many to count until I crashed and broke my motor mount loose.  I fixed it with CA and some old monokote.  I will try again tommorrow if the weather permits.  It's a good feeling to finally reach this goal that I have had for quite some time.  I will try it later on my big airplanes but for now I will practice, practice and practice with my Baby Clown. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:18:20 PM by Shawn »
Shawn Kuntz
Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: I finally did it!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
Hey good to hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try it with your larger planes - it is a LOT easier
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
Congratulations.

Most of the people on this board have been flying so long that they have forgot how difficult it was to learn. I went through at least three Tomahawks learning to fly inverted.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:10:06 AM »
Way to go Shawn,

Like they say it is easier with the bigger plane. The U-Key will do it with ease.

Paul H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »
Way to go Paul, this sets you up for everything else you will learn. Good job. Leo #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ HB~>

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:31:04 AM »
When I was learning the horizontal 8, I planted the same plane in the same place 3 times, inverted, before learning to give more ground clearance. I recommend you don't try for 6' pullouts till you master the maneuver itself. Give yourself more altitude. Master the maneuver first, then bring the altitude down.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
OUTSTANDING! 

Inverted will now be easier after you can do the lazy 8 "in your sleep".  As you do more and more L-8s being inverted (and how to recover FROM inverted) will not be a problem.  You can just fly out the inverted part longer and longer before you come back over.  After a while it will be a whole lap and then...... YOU GOT IT!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
Congratulations.

Most of the people on this board have been flying so long that they have forgot how difficult it was to learn. I went through at least three Tomahawks learning to fly inverted.

Keith,
Don't feel bad!  I must have gone through more than a dozen trying to teach myself to fly inverted ("Down is up; up is down... Down is up; up is down... ").  A nice guy from Temple, Texas who ran the LHS taught me in less than two flights, without cracking up at all.  All we did was stretch out Lazy Eights for half the circle ("When in doubt, give it full down!!!"  Worked for me.  I may have forgotten that nice guy's name but I will never forget that summer evening.  What a gift!
regards,
bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
Shawn, do you know about the Fargo Skylarks C/L club?  They are close to you in Bismarck,
and their contest in July is a must to attend.  A lot of fun and great people.

Stan Bidowski  :) 
The Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club

MAAC 17167

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »
Stan I was there this year.  I entered my old Ringmaster in the slow rat race on Saturday morning.  I came in dead last except for the guy that crashed his Skyray.  I'll be back next year for sure.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
I tried horizontal eights again today.  Crashed the Baby Clown and broke the motor mount off again.  Repairs are in process.  Tried the Ukey too.  Did about three and had to dead stick the third one in from inverted because the motor quit.  Tried one last time with the Ukey and firmly planted it in the ground from upside down.  Both wings are tore off.  I may try to fix it though it already has been repaired a few time.  I'll keep on trying.  I'm bound to get it figured out one of these days.  Sure makes for some exciting flying again.  I've come a long way since last year and have a long way to go.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:27:23 PM »
Shawn,  that's great that you made it to the Fargo contest.  I was there too!  I guess I didn't meet you??
I was flying in that race too.  I had the yellow and red Brodak Super Fly.  I suffered from an engine overrun
( new plane, engine and tank ), and didn't place either.  Funny thing was, the plane flew great for run
time in a previous test flight.  Steve London also had a Super Fly, his had a grey/silver wing with
a red fuselage.  I'm pretty happy with this model, good choice for Sport Race, etc.
I hope to see you at next years contest.

MAAC 17167

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »
Stan,
I know I didn't meet you but I remember your Superfly.  I have one too!  I only flew the slow race.  We left that afternoon so I wasn't around too much.  Look for me next year.  I plan on running a new Skyray in the race.  My old Ringmaster has seen better days.  If I would have known you were there we could have got together.  Next year for sure!  I took a picture of your Superfly.  I raced my blue and silver Ringmaster.  It is a real lead sled.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
-Don't worry about the weight if you use a plane for racing.  A heavier plane is actually better, as it will
whip easier when the engine quits, allowing you to bring it in to your pit man for a good landing.   H^^

Here's a couple more shots from the Fargo contest's Sport Race.  You might be in sitting in the shade
in the 2nd pic?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:24:22 PM by Stan Bidowski »
MAAC 17167

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 09:32:35 PM »
That's me on the far left with a white cap on and running a stop watch.  I should have been wearing my yellow Stunthanger.com tshirt!  It looks to me like Pete Ferguson, Orvin Fossen, and Steve London in the circle.  The first photo looks like Mike Olson starting the Buster for his daughter Aimee.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »
Shawn
Let me say "Way to go guy", yes I remember the excitement of doing my first figure eight, and first lap inverted.  Don't give up and enjoy the fun.  Unlike video games when we make a mistake there is a broken plane that needs to be fixed.  Also unlike video games the feeling you get from success, is far better.  Stick with it and let us know how you progress. :)
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here