News:

• May 07, 2024, 06:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HVLP and Compressors. I need some help  (Read 1295 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
HVLP and Compressors. I need some help
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
I would like to purchase some spray equipment for spraying dope, which I have never owned.  I really do not know much about HVLP guns and the compressors for them but do not want to spend a fortune for the equipment.

I guess the big question I have is how big of a compressor do you need to do a decent job and what would be a good HVLP gun and compressor combination?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: HVLP and Compressors. I need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
Well Mike , I have been waiting for some pros to chime in and so far they all seem to be backward in coming forward.So I'll start it off with my ideas , based strictly on my experiences painting model airplanes with dope ,and sometimes epoxy paint, such as K.and B. and Hobbypoxy, and also polyurethane such as Imron (now considered outdated) and Dupont Chromaclear. I have had a few guns and a couple of compressors over the years , and have settled on the oft repeated advice to use touchup size guns, for our size projects. I have used moderately expensive Badger guns , but now I am using the very cheap touch up guns such as are made in the orient someplace , and have different brand names on them , but really don't vary in utility and results.Just be assured that there is a learning curve, and any of my guns can do an excellent job if used correctly. I ruined my first compressor , by not being too good at turning it of and draining the tank between planes.Eventually the tank developed rusty holes , and you can only do so much patching in  an old compressor.My current one is the type they call oil less , and advertises itself as 150 P.S.I max and 5.3  S.C.F.M., which is the speed it can deliver. IT has a 20 gallon tank .IF you are using the common cheap H.V.L.P. guns they will need much more volume and my comp. wouldn't really be able to keep up.Stopping in the middle of a spray job , to wait for your compressor , is just not going to help the finished project.I feel that anything smaller and slower than my outfit would severely affect the finished product. I feel that the oilless compressors are probably cheaper,and there is no risk of running out of oil and no changing the oil , but beware---they are very noisy.I had to move mine out of my shop, and run the air hose through a hole in the wall just so I can stand to work there, even with ear protection. Read all you can and listen to those who know , and you can end up doing beautiful planes, but be prepared to experience some setbacks.
H.V.L.P.??---The best results can be had by using a turbine rather than a compressor , and the outfits that are best cost mega bucks. My size compressor just doesn't deliver fast enough for true H.V.L.P. I have no experience with the common cheap H.V.L.P. guns such as are commonly sold at places such as Harbor Freight. A proper H.V.L.P.system gives less over spray and uses less paint and is kinder on the environment. There is less paint tossed out into the air.Now lets see if the pros come up with anything.   Keith Varley

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »
Keith has pretty much got it. I got an upright compressor from Harbor Freight. Works pretty well. Specs are pretty much what Keith outlines. Guns depend on how much your want to spend. Get a decent gun and you'll be happier. Mark Scarborough usually suggests a Sharpe Finex gun. Something under a hundred bucks and a decent gun. I use one for shooting color. I use a much more expensive gun for clear, but you really don't need a $400 gun. Personal preference is to stay away from cheap guns. They can work with some experience but tend to be a pain to keep spraying well. Guns like the Finex are pretty easy to adjust and work pretty consistently.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
If you don't have a 240v outlet handy to your painting area, you might want to look for the honkin'st compressor you can get that will run on 120v. Mine is a 4hp, and needs 240v. On the other hand, an electric motor that can be wired to run on either 120 or 240 will last longer on 240v. I find it to be somewhat limiting, but it's ok to park it outside in a shed and then plumb an air line into your shop...maybe more than one. You want to leave the tank pressurized...but compressor off. You (and your neighbor) won't like it when it kicks on at 3am if you leave it on automatic.

There are some tricks to installing air systems...sloping the pipes so the water runs back toward the compressor, having a "sump" with a water drain valve at the bottom, etc. Also provide for a way to get rid of the water that builds up in the tank. If you have a small-ish compressor, you might consider adding an auxiliary tank someplace in the system...maybe in the loft of the garage or shed...something like that.  Might let you run an HVLP gun better with a smallish compressor.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here