News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:32:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How may I mail an engine too Australia?  (Read 614 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How may I mail an engine too Australia?
« on: February 22, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
          Hello:

I am having a bit of a sticky wicket attempting to mail an engine to Australia.  First I was told that the package was too small???  I tried to determine what is the smallest size of container would do the job, but I have reached an impasse.  I searched on the web for this information but there was ton of package types and sizes to choose from ranging from $20.00 to about $50.00.  How large of a package do I need to get it through the mail?

Oh yes, there is the matter of the paper work to get it through customs.  I hope that I only have to do the customs information to get the package delivered to Australia.  I may be able to find a customs form on the net, duplicate it and attach it to the outside of my package.

I have gone to three local post offices and all I get is the look of a stunned herring from the employees when I inquire about mailing this package.  Do not start me on local posties.  If they can land a rover on Mars, why is a package going from the U.S. to Australia such a problem?

Any suggestions/comments?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: How may I mail an engine too Australia?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 03:37:21 PM »
Frank,

Package the engine, double box for protection. Don't go crazy with the size.

Take the box to your local USPS. Just say, "It's going to Australia." They will give you a form, one I believe.

Fill it out then go back up to the counter. You're done, the rest is the post office person.

Be honest about what it is and what it costs. They will say there's tracking, but not really. Almost tracking.

I sent rolled plans to Australia about 6 weeks ago. Took 3 weeks to get delivered.

Good luck.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
Hey Frank,
Just wait until you get the engines I have sent you and use that box😁.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
You have obviously dealt with USPS employees ready to retire'  So they don't give a .... about helping.
I've mailed boxes to England.  No problem at all.  Customs declaration is also easy.

Nothing is cheap anymore.  Postal rates go up every day.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »
I will send you an email with regard to the customs declaration.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
I packaged two engines well and sent them to Australia.  It might have cost $20 plus dollars.  I had no problem two years ago or so.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
Them There Charges have gone UP . Rather than down. As we'd all prefer .

FIRST CLASS ' is ' standby post '  which is the less expensive , perhaps . As it waits its turn . up  to 4 weeks . Tho as nobody sent anyone any pressies this christmass , its likely 7 - 10 days . Which is the knorml for the below . Or the other way , Aus to U. S. . According to aus Post,
if not in fact .

PRIORITY  is a few bucks more , but goes straight through .in 7 - 10 days .if youre lucky .

Postal charges from here have risen due to a 7.000.000 ' retirement ' payout to a incompetent chief who was promoted out .

IT SEEMS it is WEIGHT Dependant . So is possable for $ 16 or less U.S. if not of lead .
The P O worker needs to find the weight / $ scale
rather than ' flat rate , for that .

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »
I packaged two engines well and sent them to Australia.  It might have cost $20 plus dollars.  I had no problem two years ago or so.

Yes you did Allen and those engines are fine!!

Thank you
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Another option is "shopmate" service.  You send the package to an address in the US, the Australia Post takes it from there.https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
Shop mate is designed for goods that come from outlets that don't do international shipping. So, like Mike Griffins estate sale with no international shipping. You list Shop mate as the delivery address then on ship from there.

It is no cheaper! Probably more expensive in the long run! The parcel Frank is talking about is still going to be $39 Australian, or about  $24US, to ship from Shop mate to Australia, plus the additional domestic postage to Shop mate.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:20 AM »
          Thanks for all of the help! I feel much more at ease after reading your posts.  Now to find a p.o. That may help me. Lol

Frank

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »
1)used goods can  truthful be declared any value you decide
2)a good customs form truth is to call some items, like a whole engine  "replacement model airplane parts" just slightly disassemble some parts off the engine

REason...Australia is not one, but many countries forbid such things as a whole model engine--or charge a very steep import duty...not to be confused with VAT they all pay ...see item one above....

USPS has all the forms online

Frank you USPS clerks are idiots....i live in a rural county and largest town where PO is sends 30~50 letters and parcels a month to Australia.....I have over 5 years sent more than 15

do not being nice to you friend declare the used engine as 25 bucks the ask for an extra 50 bucks of insurance     wink

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 12:49:10 PM »
I shipped many items to Australia when I owned RSM Distribution. The fastest and cheapest method is to use USPS Priority Mail. I would not suggest that you use First Class Mail. Although it is less expensive than International Priority Mail Fist Class Mail is not tracked once it leaves the USA. Priority Mail is fully tracked from your Post Office to your Friend's location in Australia. In addition to the tracking it is also insured (check online at USPS.com for details regarding amount) automatically. In addition you can also insure the package for any declared amount although you will have to purchase additional insurance when you do this. The USPS will provide you any form necessary for customs and they handle all of the import details in Australia.
The average amount of time required for a Priority Mail package to go from the USA to Australia is 5-7 days.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
"do not being nice to you friend declare the used engine as 25 bucks the ask for an extra 50 bucks of insurance"

Yeah, good on you Fred. Won't be buying anything from you in the future! What a wonderful introduction into the hobby. You jerk!

Frank is doing very well out of this exchange!

Fortunately, my experience has been nothing but positive with all the purchasing and people's attempts to do the very best for me as far as shipping is concerned. But there is always one arsehole, isn't there Fred!!!!

Craig Beswick
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 05:42:31 PM »
And mark it as a "Gift".
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »
"do not being nice to you friend declare the used engine as 25 bucks the ask for an extra 50 bucks of insurance"

Yeah, good on you Fred. Won't be buying anything from you in the future! What a wonderful introduction into the hobby. You jerk!

Frank is doing very well out of this exchange!

Fortunately, my experience has been nothing but positive with all the purchasing and people's attempts to do the very best for me as far as shipping is concerned. But there is always one arsehole, isn't there Fred!!!!

Craig Beswick

While I've never met Fred or had any selling/buying deals with him, I think Craig has the wrong idea about him. Maybe lack of similar humor?

"do not being nice to you friend declare the used engine as 25 bucks the ask for an extra 50 bucks of insurance" just states the obvious. Be reasonably honest in stated value and insured value. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that it would be possible to select an option with the USPS that would carry ZERO insurance. It's kinda tricky...you don't want to send anything by slow boat, nor by Learjet.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
Its maybe $ 1000 Aus. before ' G.S.T. ' ( Grab snatch & Take tax ) kicks in ,now. with all the ' on line' overseas purchaseing .
About ' the mark of the beast '  ??? in U.S. Dollars . as in 2/3 of the one grand . Split Pakages if around that ' limit ' these days .

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »
sorry my strokes have me very poorly one finger wording and failure to proof for comprehension

i understand the jerk comment....all good    no but hurt here

do not declare a 100 buck item as 25 to save your friend some VAT or import duty.....AND then also ask for 100 bucks insurance ....this is a customs red flag

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here