News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you decide?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
How do you decide?
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:44:44 AM »
What makes up your decision as to which new plane to build?

As to Classic planes, I have way too many I want to build.  All the great planes of my youth make it tough!

As to "PAMPA" class, it's different.  I kinda follow the trend locally.

How about you?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: How do you decide?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:23 AM »
Hey you have made it to Ensign whoop-pee!!
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:58:52 AM »
Hey you have made it to Ensign whoop-pee!!

Hey, I remember that design!  Who designed the Ensign?? LOL!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:01:38 AM »
Bill,

The local trend is Dixon, Smith and Baron airplanes probably account for the bulk of the local craft.

Jim Pollock  ;)

Offline Dave Shrum

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 09:50:38 AM »
MMMM--85 pounds of PLANS, (yup #'s folks) 50 #'s of hanging files--1,225
table of contents on the mags in the library.  I guess you can say I'm organized.  SOOOO, how do I decide what to build---it called a FIRE IN YOUR BELLY.  Right now it is "B" team race.  I have wanted to do this since early 90's
The carrier, class !! and the NW racer went into attic (oh, thats what that space is for!!! I dont need those two planes until Memorial day !! AND that is why God invented THE LAST MINUTE ( Hello,Randy P.) Some times you really get to use "that last minute".  All in all I have been 'puttin' and 're-puttin'-
(that called RE - DO on some kits after a crash) all of my life.
Dave Shrum
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:55:00 AM by R3C2 »
Dave Shrum

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:32:22 PM »
Good question. For me, I have two "design series" going. One is development on the elliptical planes I'm building and the other is a series of high aspect ratio designs. But I'm probably more interested right now in both classic planes and variations on the USA-1.

Or, something else will occur to me.    8)
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »
I also have two "design series" going in stunt at least. I also have works in progress in scale, carrier, speed, TR and combat...

I'm finally getting somewhere with my long drawn 'go for broke' moulded stunter, but the wind design question has split off another path to follow, so the technical aspects involved there has spurred my interest. I have wanted to build a Hooptee for Classic for a while now, but seeing the Stunt Machine pics on SSW has inspired me to look for that plan.

I guess it comes down to Fire in the Belly, as Dave said. Whichever one grabs my enthuiasm gets the attention. I think my schedule this year calls for 11 new models before our Nats in December.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
Well, my current project in the hangar is a design my Jim called the Volunteer.  Hope to have it ready in a few weeks.  The next project behind that will be an Avanti.

As to how I decide which one to build.  Well, impluse decides for me.   Which ever design gives the strongest impluse to commit to a build.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
Many people have always  wanted a certain plane, or  they had a certain plane years before  that they  want again.
I know for me, there are just certain models, I have always wanted to build.

Trouble though, there are  so many  :-)

Regards
Randy

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 01:11:13 PM »
For me, it is old time planes. Every one I see I want to build. I did manange to get a 51 Nobler built last year, but have built two Old time planes since. I just cannot resist the old stuff. Oh! and they have to have old engines on them to. Super Cykes, Andersons, Ohlsons, Fox 59's, 35's and McCoy red heads and such.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:07:56 AM »
I just finished a Frank Ehling 1949 Easy #4.  I also have a #5 and a # 7. Previously I've built a #5, #6 and #7.  It is a pretty good OTS design if you can structurally strengthen it light enough. ;)

I may build another DeBolt Sportwing, another 1949 airplane.  I have built 3.  One years ago with Torp 19 and warps, and two more recent with ST G20-15 diesels.  Again, if one can get them light enough they will fly a recognizable  OTS pattern.  The two recent ones were 19 and 17 ozs.  I've thought about building one for a TD 09.  Probably get it down to about 14 oz.  The fuselage is a little bulky, but not too bad.  I had a lot of fun with those airplanes. 

I have an own design flying wing stunt airplane.  May build another of those. So many airplanes, so little time. ::)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 05:55:28 PM »
Couple of years ago when I decided to wet my feet in C/L again, after about 35 years, I bought an OTS Ringmaster at the Perry GA meet. I take it down a look at it once and awhile but I havn't done silkspan and dope for so many years I am sorta nervious about it (the latent result of many years of RC and shrink coverings).  So I usually just sigh and put it back up. I've done some C/L planes recently but  covered them with MonoKote (Sig Twister, Buster, etc.)  But still I have a preferance for Ringmasters and Sharks and Smoothies that I flew in the 50's-60"s. I went to the Stark, FL contest recently and I think maybe that has encouraged me to give dope/silkspan a try again.  Meanwhile my flying improves with every outing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:57:07 PM by PHIL_COOPY »

Offline Dave Cook

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:29:24 AM »
I go by - pick the motor first, as that is the most important, then I look around for what airplane (that I like) that fits it.

Dave Cook

Offline Dave Cook

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »
An added thought  - it is good to build a "new one" of a model you have built before, to correct all the mistakes that you made on the first one.

Evolution rather than revolution is always a good philosopy.

Dave Cook

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 10:40:48 AM »
Hi Dave,
After I sold my first USA-1 (an offer I couldn't refuse!) I talked with Billy about it.  His advice was to build another one since the second one will be better!  I agree with you on this, the second (or later) one does seem to be better.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Kenneth Colbert

• So I'm UGLY get over it! I have lol...
  • New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »
Good ? for sure.As for mistakes who makes them in building well for one I do a lot lol.Would not matter if I did do a redo I would still make a mistake on it.As for whitch model I like to build.I never did like to build what other people has to fly guess you can call me odd huh.But when I do build I add lots of stuff to my model like landing lights wing lights yep it makes the model heavy but I am into building more than flying.Oh don't get me wrong I do fly what I build. Here is another ? for us here.How long has it took anyone to build a model.For me I work on one for over a year its pretty but man talk about time just wish I had keep a log book on it now. ;D
Kenneth Colbert

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »
i pretty much keep building the same plane over and over again. cosmetic changes like tips,rudder, canopy location and paint scheme always give me the look i want.
as for how long it takes? i'm guessing about 400 hours stretched through about 12-16 months. i keep setting it aside to do something else. recently my plane was set aside while i put together an electric arf smoothie.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here