News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home from the Nats  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Home from the Nats
« on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
Nats Conclusion

I regret that distractions have distracted me from filing my Nats return trip report until now.

The Nats finals were pretty cool.  When Paul Walker saw Doug fly about ten years ago, he predicted that Doug would win ten years hence.  That he did. 

Although it was hot and I was unprepared, I gained enthusiasm as the Nats week went on.  My airplane's trim got a lot better by Friday (thanks, Paul), but I needed more practice aiming it.  I really enjoyed the banquet.  The food was great and plentiful, and I caught up some on socializing. 

A mighty wind had come up overnight at the Nats and rent asunder the inadequately moored West Coast Junior Varsity canopy.  Captain Gleason informed me that many such canopies had been rent by the mighty wind, that they had interchangeable components, and that one such canopy was being parted out to fix others.  I took both the WCJV and donor canopies to my sister's house, where I restored the former to service.  It was deployed for functional testing one warm evening in her front yard in an event involving gin and tonic.  My sister lives between Muncie and Indianapolis, so I was able to avoid hotel bills there while waiting to light out for the Fargo contest the weekend after the Nats.  There was a price.  I was pressed into service shampooing the carpet, fixing electrical outlets, dehazing her car headlights with the Granderson Machine Polishing System, pruning a tree, fixing a door, fixing the attic stairs, decluttering her computer, and buying candles for and sending out invitations to our aunt's 100th birthday party.  I lit out Friday morning. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Home from the Nats
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
The Place the Music Died

I intended to have lunch in Iowa with the Giffords and endure Russ's biting antielectrical wit, but Randi was sick, so I stopped at a Steak & Shake and got a cheeseburger and hypothermia, their air conditioning having gone hard over on the cryogenic side.  I thawed when I got to Clear Lake.  I stopped there for gas and asked the location of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper.  They gave me a handout with directions.  It is in a cornfield north of Clear Lake, just off a gravel road.  A pair of Buddy Holly glasses on two posts marks the trailhead.  The crash site shrine is at the end of a dirt path about half a mile long.  People leave various items there, including lots of glasses.  Three other sets of pilgrims were visiting while I was there: two pairs of geezers and a group of young guys who were probably a rock & roll band.  They were singing "That'll be the Day" as I passed them.  The simplicity of the shrine was nice, but it should be a National Monument, if not a World Heritage Site.  Write your senator.

I stopped in Albert Lea and had dinner with Wayne Willey.  Wayne is an airplane nut, and we had a nice visit, although I got there too late in the day to fly stunt. 

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Fun and Terror in Fargo

I had been reading about the Fargo-Moorhead Skylarks and the Red River Valley Championships for 50 years, and I’d been looking for an opportunity to go.  This year it was a week after the Nats and sorta on the way home.  The club field, at which the contest is held, is in a shady park on the banks of the Red River.  The field has endured floods and a hostile parks board member over the decades, but is well-maintained and pretty.  The stunt circle is surrounded by tall trees and looks scary.  I arrived at 3 PM Saturday intending to say hello and hang out, the PAMPA contest calendar having said that stunt was to be flown Sunday.  It appeared that stunt was in progress.  I inquired and was told that I was on deck.  I extracted the dog, put a battery on the charger at 7 amps, and rolled out my lines.  Sure enough, the wind was extremely turbulent and scary.  A strongly built weathervane next to the circle was gyrating randomly.  My tricks always seemed to be sideways to the wind: sometimes one side, sometimes the other.  I was running backward, but then had to avoid hitting trees at the edge of the circle.  Vertical maneuvers involved a lot of rolling and free flight.  In electric stunt, as opposed to space, everybody can hear you scream.  Golly, I hardly was acquainted with my new dog and was starting to like it.  Seeing the LiPo spew fire in the crash would be cool, but not that much consolation.  Somehow I made it through as many of the tricks as I could remember and bounced to a stop.  I was shaking like the leaves on the surrounding trees, and they were shaking indeed.  The other guys just figured I was overemotional, I guess.  They flew and got blown around without a whimper.  These are sturdy Paul Bunyan types who endure hard winters and turbulent stunt circles without complaint.  I was then informed that the score for the day would be the sum of two flights, and it was time for the second.  I burst into tears.  The second flight was a little less scary than the first, but was quite scary.  

The Fargo contest has a lot of tradition.  Much of the Fargo diaspora returns for it.  Jeff Johnson came back from Wichita, and Pete Mazur, the carrier guy, from Illinois.  I caught up on Olson family genealogy.  A generation has gone by since I last saw them at the Reno Nats.  Aimee, then approximately sweet sixteen, is a mommy now with kids taller than she is.  Aimee’s husband was there flying and pitting.  He’s a nice guy, although it took a good woman to straighten him out: he used to fly RC.  Angela, the youngest, whom I think we knew as Annie, also has kids, including Lydia, who is cute as a button and sharp as a tack.  Abbie, the second oldest sister, who could switch her handle including safety thong between hands to get out of a combat line tangle, was not at the contest.  She is (or soon will be) living in Oklahoma City.

There was a nice meal at the field Saturday evening, and some balloon busting.  Jeff Johnson has developed a lot of style over the years flying combat, which he employed busting balloons.  A stunt final – gulp—was to be held Sunday morning, so I retired to the hotel to gird my loins.  The Natural Weather Service predicted 8 to 10 MPH winds Sunday, which refrightened me, until I saw that the weather in which we had flown Saturday was 13 gusting to 20-something.  

My morning stunt flight was not too awful, except for maybe the tornado that sat on the upwind side of the circle and shook the dog violently each inverted lap.  I felt pretty cocky after landing until learning that the total score included that from yet one more flight.  A little pants-wetting free flight in the vertical eight, two more tricks, and I got to save my plane for another day.  Yippee.  I judged some combat with grandpa Mike Olson and Aimee’s daughter Hayley, whose name I hope I got right.  Pete Plunkett had a lovely flyaway.  At first it came straight down at us, and I found myself trying to hide behind a large tree, but tree trunks run parallel to vertically descending combat plane trajectories, so it wasn’t working.  The plane reversed direction, then passed just over a house on the west side of the park.  Curiously, if it had flown the same distance either due north or due south, it would have landed in Minnesota.  At the closing ceremony, Mike Olson told us he has pancreatic cancer.  He asked for our prayers.  

The rest of the trip home was hot, pleasant, and uneventful.  I mowed the lawn and pressure-washed the car before being admitted to the house.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the story!

I found it very entertianing!!

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
It's a shame they don't recognize Roger Peterson at the "Cornfield Shrine".

(Roger Peterson was the 4th victim and the pilot of the aircraft)
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
Nats Conclusion

I was pressed into service shampooing the carpet, fixing electrical outlets, dehazing her car headlights with the Granderson Machine Polishing System, pruning a tree, fixing a door, fixing the attic stairs, decluttering her computer, and buying candles for and sending out invitations to our aunt's 100th birthday party. 

Did you explain to your sister, that you are a star in the control line stunt community, and you should not be doing those things. LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
That tale reads like a Grateful Dead song!
Steve

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
It's a shame they don't recognize Roger Peterson at the "Cornfield Shrine".

(Roger Peterson was the 4th victim and the pilot of the aircraft)

They do.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
That tale reads like a Grateful Dead song!

That notion just crossed my mind.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
What a long strange trip it must have been...

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
Excellent writeup, Howard!

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Very nice story. You should write more of them.   <=
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »
 "The simplicity of the shrine was nice, but it should be a National Monument, if not a World Heritage Site.  Write your senator."

Howard , I've only met you once, at the 2007 NATS, when you had front row. I have read all of your posts and followed your notoriety and triumphs in combat and Stunt. But,...the above statement has told me more about "Howard Rush" than any article, post or related  "war story." Long live the memory of  Bonanza N3794N "Miss American Pie" and Rock and Roll.
Peace.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »
Cool story and great pictures Howard. I like the one of Layla with the crazy eyes...

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
Howard great story.   Seen Jeff at Wichita this past weekend.   He did not say too  much about your flying or how you did.  When I flew up there several years ago I thought it an unusual place for control line.   I learned to fly with the wind in my face and the judges were behind me I think.  But, I think that was one of the best stunt flights I have ever flown.  Good old reliable Nobler and Fox .35 Stunt.  Glad you had a good time and made it home okay. 

Now you know how I could attend VSC in Tuscon in the past.  Aunt Betty always had some things for me to fix or do when not at the field flying.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
 Thanks for the debrief Howard, good stuff as always. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
I always wondered if "Miss American Pie" crashed because of icing or fog or something like that. It would not make the pilot a hero in my eyes, but rather somebody with a pilot's license and not enough common sense. Is there a copy of the FAA crash investigation report available? Maybe was not the "FAA" yet, but whatever it was called must have investigated, right?  :( Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Well,
Poor Mr. Peterson was flying the airplane to keep his job so as to make the airlines big-time, like most pilots.
Considering the time period, in which I know about through the many discussions I had and still have with my old fashioned pilot father, things were different then.
The way dad tells it, the guy shouldn't have gone. The airplane did not have an attitude indicator (shocking for a Bonanza but I guess it wasn't always installed) and the guy didn't have an instrument rating (it was special VFR conditions with 1 mile and blowing snow). It was all legal then, we were about one step past the Air Mail even then and VOR's were new and attitude indicators were still fancy stuff though available since the 30's. Dad always figured the pilot out-flew the visibility (He told me when I got my first Bonanza job at 20 that just because the airplane will go 200 mph doesn't mean you should in all conditions), got disoriented (because the roads were dark back then it would be easy) and he lost the horizon, and augered in.
Bad deal, but the guy was young and pleasing his employer. Pressure under fire is something that young pilots learn hard and fast when dealing with hard talking owners and customers bent on getting there or making a buck. Sometimes it's hard to say no.

I wouldn't be too hard on Mr. Peterson, he paid the ultimate price for his mistake and I won't judge him. I've been there, done that too many times and lived to get a second, third and fourth chance to be the one to judge him. I'll just learn from my own and others mistakes and try to do it right when I'm in the hot seat.

Chris...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
  To add a bit to what Chris mentioned, my Uncle Bob McEntee was a pilot for the Kennedy family in the early 60's, starting right about this time of year in 1960 for the Democratic convention. Flew the family Convair 240, "The Caroline", many many hours. Something that is lost a bit in history is the back injury that bothered Ted Kennedy for most of his life. It was sustained in the crash of the Caroline. Ted was hot to trot to go to a destination that I can't remember right now, and the weather was closing in. My Uncle refused to fly because of it, but there was another young buck willing to try and make a name for himself and took the flight. The result was the crash, and dead flight crew and Ted's injuries. It's alway's really hard to say what you would do in a certain situation, until you are in that situation, and money has some strange effects on the human mind, doesn't it?
   I'll have to put that site in Iowa on my bucket list also.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
Hmm...I'd once read that Ted Kennedy's back injury was a result of the crash of an Aero Commander, not the Convair.  Anyone know if that's fact?
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
Hmm...I'd once read that Ted Kennedy's back injury was a result of the crash of an Aero Commander, not the Convair.  Anyone know if that's fact?

I once stayed at a Holliday Inn.. H^^
AMA 12366

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »

Uncle Mikey you are absolutely correct. I did a quick google on it, and came up with the news story. I was going on a long time family story passed down and, augmented by a memory that I had seen an article about the Caroline being damaged in a crash landing. But another story I just googled up was about a hand over ceremony where Bobby Kennedy turned the airplane over to the Smithsonian. I knew the Smithsonian had the airframe and even talked to a guy at Silver Hill on the phone about it one time. In this day and age of computers, I need to set asside some time, research this all out, and document it for my family history. I do have copies of newspaper articles, and copies of Air Trails magazine that mention Uncle Bob at various times, and between that and Google I can tie it all together. Uncle Bob passed away in the mid 1980's and I never got a chance to talk to him extensively about things, but I'm sure some stuff can be researched. I don't recall him ever talking about flying an AeroCommander, but like Chris says, that was a different time and it was normal for crews to jump out of one type of plane and jump into another.
    Boy, got that tjread off track didn't I? Sorry about that!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
Does this mean you will be at Auburn this weekend?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 07:26:10 AM »
Howard:
Enjoyed your story - all except the news about Mike Olson.  Trying hard to remember the last time I saw him and his wonderful family.  God Bless & God Speed Mike!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 07:58:18 AM »
There's a ton of information about Buddy Holly's crash.....CAA documents, etc. I think we've covered it in prior posts. Having said that, the Bonanza had a "new" Sperry gyro horizon, which was different from most, the plane moved and the horizon was fixed in the attitude instrument.

Peterson, and his boss, were at the airport all day watching the weather reports, called to check it more than once. A thing called a "flash advisory" about the fast moving front was never relayed to Peterson. He thought he was gong for a clear night VFR, a challenge, but well within his experience level, or so he thought.

They encountered poor visibility, snow in fog, and that was that.
He had failed an instrument check ride and was working on his re-take.

I'm pretty sure the strange attitude gyro was the causal factor. I'd like to know more about this type instrument, I've heard that British aeroplanes utilised artificial horizons like this. A close friend of mine crashed a Griffon Spitfire and I've heard it had such a horizon.

Chris, do you know about this?         dg
Google will find all ths stuff, I'm probably not totally accurate, but pretty close. It's easy to locate, I'mn not going to look at it anymore.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
HI Howard,

I'm glad you had such an adventurous trip.  Getting in an extra contest and visiting the Buddy Holly site were a bonus!  Glad you got home safely.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
There's a ton of information about Buddy Holly's crash.....CAA documents, etc. I think we've covered it in prior posts. Having said that, the Bonanza had a "new" Sperry gyro horizon, which was different from most, the plane moved and the horizon was fixed in the attitude instrument.

Peterson, and his boss, were at the airport all day watching the weather reports, called to check it more than once. A thing called a "flash advisory" about the fast moving front was never relayed to Peterson. He thought he was gong for a clear night VFR, a challenge, but well within his experience level, or so he thought.

They encountered poor visibility, snow in fog, and that was that.
He had failed an instrument check ride and was working on his re-take.

I'm pretty sure the strange attitude gyro was the causal factor. I'd like to know more about this type instrument, I've heard that British aeroplanes utilised artificial horizons like this. A close friend of mine crashed a Griffon Spitfire and I've heard it had such a horizon.

Chris, do you know about this?         dg
Google will find all ths stuff, I'm probably not totally accurate, but pretty close. It's easy to locate, I'mn not going to look at it anymore.

"Now-a-days" we call that type of operation "FAR Part 134," not quite 135. Today's regs. won't let you operate "air taxi" without a valid Commercial / Instrument rating with a 135 endorsement. The aircraft must be on a 135 license also..."lot-sa red tape." The bottom line is that several unique people lost there lives due to an "expulsion of cerebral gas."

Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
Or the people pushing a little too hard to get to their destination.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here