News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hold Off On Registering Model Aircraft  (Read 8691 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Hold Off On Registering Model Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.  

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations.  Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council

Bob Brown, AMA President
Gary Fitch, AMA Executive Vice President
Andy Argenio, AMA Vice President, District I
Eric Williams, AMA Vice President, District II
Mark Radcliff, AMA Vice President, District III
Jay Marsh, AMA Vice President, District IV
Kris Dixon, AMA Vice President, District V
Randy Cameron, AMA Vice President, District VI
Tim Jesky, AMA Vice President, District VII
Mark Johnston, AMA Vice President, District VIII
Jim Tiller, AMA Vice President, District IX
Lawrence Tougas, AMA Vice President, District X
Chuck Bower, AMA Vice President, District XI

sp1936-2014 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.   https://www.facebook.com/modelaviation https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/ http://www.modelaircraft.org/rss.aspx?feeds=news https://twitter.com/modelaircraft https://www.youtube.com/user/modelaircraft
www.modelaircraft.org

AMA 12366

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
And with good cause.
The FAA is going to make their information on registrants available to the public, giving the name and physical address to anyone that searches a number.
Fantastic!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
And with good cause.
The FAA is going to make their information on registrants available to the public, giving the name and physical address to anyone that searches a number.
Fantastic!

Did you ever do a Google search for your own name?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »
Bob, I just did and guess what?  I'm not listed!  Maybe that's why Kraver's email from me to him are blocked.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Jim Roselle

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
Bob, I just did and guess what?  I'm not listed!  Maybe that's why Kraver's email from me to him are blocked.
Joe

I have two emails, one hotmail and one gmail.  My hotmail always gets kicked back by Ted.

Jim

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
My name won't be on my planes on the outside for the entire world to view.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:56:45 PM »
Worth watching

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
Thanks Jim.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
Lord I hate looking for trouble and I know this video says that CL and FF is exempt, though I wonder how a D class FF ship is safer then a 251 gram multicopter BUT one of the earlier iterations of this falling cloud was that if you used an RC transmitter to control functions on your CL ship (Throttle, flaps, whatever scale function that doesn't have Carrier applications) that you now ARE flying an sUAS.  I personally don't understand how that would change the fact that you're primary control function in Control line is connected to your hand and believe it to be a false assumption.

Having said that, I'd like to get it in writing.  Not that I HAVE or have any time soon a desire to control functions on my planes from a seperate transmitter.

If/when this registration thing goes through I'll still have to do it to continue on with my RC flying, but I'd like to know what to tell anyone that is interested in just flying Control Line.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
If they're new to CL,  teach them to fly.  I think the PC police would have a hard time proving we could blow up any government or public buildings let alone an airliner with a CL plane being flown in a park or unused ball diamond.   If they try to stop me because I won't register, even my RC planes while I'm flying CL plane,  will do like it was reported the late Jim Walker did when he was told he couldn't at the field he was flying at.   Give the handle to the officer and walk away.   Heard the lines had the officer all tied up before plane crashed.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
I sent Mark a private message on here and never got an answer .  Why did they join Stunthangar if they are not going to communicate with us.

Mike

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
I've found that some people will read a message, and not reply until they have something to report. Possibly he could be waiting for a decision to be reached before he responds to you?
Other people I've found to be just not very internet social....
They could be "chatty Cathy" on the phone or in person, not so in electronic communications.
(Shoulder shrug).
Don't let it bother you.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
What a mess the last 7 years have been...
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »
And I'm still trying to figure out why I'd have to register an "aircraft" that is attached to my hand. It's not like I can get more than 70' away.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 05:30:03 AM »
And I'm still trying to figure out why I'd have to register an "aircraft" that is attached to my hand. It's not like I can get more than 70' away.

Because the people who are making these insane rules have no idea what they are doing.

Mike

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
No, it's laziness.... it's easier for the FAA to punish all modelers than it is for them to be responsible and go after the trouble makers.
Plain and simple. Laziness.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
I am not registering anything and I am done with AMA.  Way to go, you sold us all out.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »
How come other countries are not doing this?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
I haven't registered yet but I also fly RC.  According to AMA, RC flyers still have to register and can register for free until January 19 but we CAN use our AMA number on our aircraft in lieu of the FAA ID number.

I will likely register this weekend.  This is not the fault of AMA or politicians.  Model aviation shares the same airspace as general and commercial aviation but we can't have people flying drones (or regular fixed wing RC aircraft) in the flightpath of a commercial jet carrying 250 passengers.

AMA clearly states on their website:

Q: I only fly CL or FF, do I need to register?

A: No. If you exclusively fly FF or CL and never plan on using a model that involves a transmitter, then you do not need to register.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2016/01/11/update-uas-registration-frequently-asked-questions/

Oh, the FAA website will be unavailable 10pm to midnight Saturday, January 16.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:59:20 PM by Steve Scott »

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
Don't get to upset yet guys, wait until the FAA starts closing flying sites in your area like they have in the DC area. All sites RC, FF , CL,  kites etc are closed within 30 miles on Reagan airport. As soon as they start doing this in others areas there won't be a lot of places left to fly.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
I'll say it again-
Line of sight rc modeling should never have been effected by regulations, it's not the problem, and registration won't help.
FPV gear has caused the issue, and it's non line of sight aircraft that need regulation.
All the FAA had to do was implement registration of FPV telemetry gear at point of sale through the vendors....
Any other attempt at a solution will be fruitless.
What a waste of time and effort.
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

George Hostler

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 12:08:35 AM »
Following is the latest from AMA posted 5 days ago:

Quote from: Academy of Model Aeronautics
Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication
Monday, January 11, 2016

Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.

In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.

In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.

These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule. 

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15. Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA

© 2016 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.

www.modelaircraft.org

George Hostler

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
I just registered a few minutes ago. Site is https://registermyuas.faa.gov/. I know this is counter to what some of you think. It was basically an acknowledgement of the "rules", which we as law abiding fliers already knew. Since it was before 12 midnight EST, Jan-16, http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ states my $5 to my credit card should be refunded.

AMA legal team is still waiting on an answer to their petition from the US Court of Appeals filed last August, regarding FCC's disregard for the law toward those in a community based organization. They are also working with FAA on having 3 year registration renewals being automatic as long as one maintains their membership. They are also working on use of the AMA number instead of the FAA registration number as an alternative on aircraft. Since I occasionally fly RC aircraft and still want to continue to do so, I complied. My disagreements belong in a letter to my elected representatives, and through proper channels where permitted..  D>K

So, the sun still shines in the morning and settles in the evening, I'm flying.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:25:30 AM by George Hostler »

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 09:54:24 AM »
I haven't registered yet but I also fly RC.  According to AMA, RC flyers still have to register and can register for free until January 19 but we CAN use our AMA number on our aircraft in lieu of the FAA ID number.

I will likely register this weekend...

I registered later yesterday.  AMA says I don't need it for CL or FF but FAA says I do.  Since I do fly RC I registered.  The one quad I have is under 5.5oz and is exempt.  All my other fixed wing birds do need the license.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
I spent a lot of time thinking about this process and finally decided that with a bunch of $ invested in my Carrier planes I should register with the FAA. Not thrilled with my decision, but I have no faith that the AMA can fight the Federal Government and win.  While registering I could not find any place where the FAA says that CL or FF is exempt.  Now, with that said I also could not find any recommended sizes for numbering your planes. Anybody know the answer to that?
Joe 

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
I spent a lot of time thinking about this process and finally decided that with a bunch of $ invested in my Carrier planes I should register with the FAA. Not thrilled with my decision, but I have no faith that the AMA can fight the Federal Government and win.  While registering I could not find any place where the FAA says that CL or FF is exempt.  Now, with that said I also could not find any recommended sizes for numbering your planes. Anybody know the answer to that?
Joe  

Joe, I wouldn't worry about displaying the FAA number on your CL models since it should never get away from you.  Yes, you do need to carry the FAA registration card on your person.  AMA has stated their AMA number will suffice in lieu of the FAA number.  The big problem is flyaway RC aircraft or drones.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
Joe all they say is visible without tools and I could not find a required size or font

my plan is label maker in small size under fuselage

I doubt the AMA number will ever be a suitable or allowed substitute for a FAA registration number
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline okcub2015

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
I also registered yesterday and i thought i saw in the Q&A section were they
stated control line and FF were exempt. I will keep a copy of my number on my person
and on the plane, i didnt read anywere about the size of letters and numbers.

Bruce

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »
AMA has my number and the FAA can go fly a kite.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
I agree, the FAA can pound sand. The AMA membership should be enough. The FAA can hardly keep up with full scale events.
Maybe they'll be hiring more people to deal with the influx of drone business.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

George Hostler

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »
"Visible without tools" - http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf has an illustration showing acceptable registration labeling. It states, Number must be visible (You can mark inside the battery compartment if it doesn't require a tool to open). I don't know about you all, but I plan to use my Casio or Brother label maker and 1/8 inch high letters somewhere on the fuselage or tail. I suppose if your wing or hatch is rubber banded or held in place with say magnets instead of bolted requiring a screw pr nut driver, you could place the label inside the radio/servo/battery compartment.

"AMA has stated their AMA number will suffice in lieu of the FAA number" - Don't recall that being stated. Going on their 1/11/2016 communication, they are working with FAA for approval of the AMA number, but that has not yet been approved.

Tethered flight requiring registration - I don't know of anyone flying blimps or weather balloons. (Uses lengthy lines, could present an obstacle to an aircraft in flight, just my opinion.)

Reasonable risk assessment, until at least for my own assurance I see someone getting busted for it, I'm not going to bother putting my FAA number on CL aircraft. With lines 70 feet or less in length, I see no threat to any operating aircraft. So, unless I am breaking a municipal, county, state or national park law, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff.

I don't know about you all, but when I fly, I'm going to have fun with it. Be safe and enjoy the 2016 season of flying.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »

Reasonable risk assessment, until at least for my own assurance I see someone getting busted for it, I'm not going to bother putting my FAA number on CL aircraft. With lines 70 feet or less in length, I see no threat to any operating aircraft. So, unless I am breaking a municipal, county, state or national park law, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff.

I don't know about you all, but when I fly, I'm going to have fun with it. Be safe and enjoy the 2016 season of flying.
[/quote]

Let's hope that you never have an accident; like having a kid on his bike run into the circle and get hit!  Not having your AMA number in place on  the proper place on your plane will more than likely cause you to have no insurance back up from the AMA supplemental insurance.
Joe

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 06:37:54 PM »
The FAA issues a card ? All I got was the number when I hit print.
I fly a lot of R/C  so there wasn't a choice as to whether or not . One of the public park R/C flying fields requires FAA registration to use it. There was a nice first time ever Stunt meet there last summer. Wonder if all who compete will have to register?

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
The FAA issues a card ? All I got was the number when I hit print.
I fly a lot of R/C  so there wasn't a choice as to whether or not . One of the public park R/C flying fields requires FAA registration to use it. There was a nice first time ever Stunt meet there last summer. Wonder if all who compete will have to register?

After you register you should receive several emails from the FAA.  One should be named FAA UAS Certificate.  It has an image of your card.  I plan to print and laminate it to carry in my wallet.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »

Right on the money, Doc. At our age, free housing, food and medical isn't a bad thing, plus it'd take several years to put us away, so it'd be even less of a concern. Federal Penitentiaries will have better benefits than SSA in a few more years, from what I read. They'll probably require laser-cut kits, but would probably provide sandpaper. I'm kind of looking forward to it.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

George Hostler

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
Let's hope that you never have an accident; like having a kid on his bike run into the circle and get hit!  Not having your AMA number in place on the proper place on your plane will more than likely cause you to have no insurance back up from the AMA supplemental insurance. Joe

Hello, Joe, I think you may be confusing my comment about not putting my FAA number on my CL aircraft with my AMA number. This I already know:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

Quote from: Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code Effective January 1, 2014
2. Model aircraft pilots will:
    f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)

My reasonable risk assessment was in regard to this interpretation, which seems reasonable:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2015/12/17/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-drone-registration-process/

Quote from: AMA Frequently Asked Questions about the Drone Registration Process dated December 17, 2015
Q: Is Control Line Exempt
A: Control line models are not controlled by a ground-control station, are not part of an unmanned aircraft system and as such are not required to be registered.

But you are right, Joe, we must always be vigilant with safety first, which means compliance with the AMA Safety Code. Fortunately we don't have kids on bicycles at our MADS AMA Club model airplane field here in Clovis, NM (may be with the exception of a few old senior grouches ;D )

Offline Dick Myers

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »
Just looked at the registration site!! there is a note that they will let us use our AMA numbers as our FAA number. Check it out
AMA 5653

George Hostler

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 07:59:06 AM »
Just looked at the registration site!! there is a note that they will let us use our AMA numbers as our FAA number. Check it out

Hello, Dick. Could you provide a link where you got that info? I searched and could not find it. So far, this is what I found out:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
Additional Resources:
  • Read the Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft Interim Final Rule.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/12/16/2015-31750/registration-and-marking-requirements-for-small-unmanned-aircraft

(Official paper version: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-12-16/pdf/2015-31750.pdf)

Quote from: Interim Final Rule, Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft dated December 16, 2015
VII. Discussion of the Interim Final Rule, H. Registration Marking, IFR Requirement: Information that may be used to identify an aircraft.
Regarding the comment seeking to display an AMA number in particular, the Civil Aircraft Registry and the registration system implemented in this IFR are premised on the ability to uniquely identify and owner and their aircraft. The FAA does not govern the membership structures of section 336 organizations and cannot be assured of the uniqueness of those organizations' identification systems. Therefore, the FAA has no assurance that such a member number will provide the requisite unique identifier. Thus, the FAA will maintain an FAA-issued registration number for the marking scheme for small unmanned aircraft used as model aircraft.

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »
[/quote

Question:

Would the FAA have to register and get a number for that kite???] LL~

Offline Dick Myers

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »
Look here

https://drone-registration.net/?gclid=CjwKEAiAt KOBRCzjtv92 HGoROSJAA9QNn UQ8owj-FVHI14HO-gvMZ6qfqWqAVMoiezcF2GMJ68xoCFsbw wcB
AMA 5653

Offline Dick Myers

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
go to:

FFA then first item up is $5 FFA Drone Registration. Pull this up and scroll down to the notice that AMA number can be on our registration.
AMA 5653

Offline Dick Myers

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
That is FAA not FFA
AMA 5653

George Hostler

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
Look here https://drone-registration.net/ go to: FAA then first item up is $5 FFA Drone Registration. Pull this up and scroll down to the notice that AMA number can be on our registration.

Hello, Dick. I looked at that site, scrolled down like you mentioned, this is what I saw:

Quote from: drone-registration.net
FAA Compliant Labels!
Our labels are in compliance with the FAA requirements. Lost, stolen or downed UAS's may be identified and returned. Protect your investment and be in compliance.
Order Now

(Blue Box front) AMA Membership Number on your Labels? You asked, we listened!
(box back) Now offering AMA number on your label! You asked, we listened. You now have the option to include you Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) member number on your labels! Order Now!

Order Registration & Labels Now!

They are selling you labels and yes, they'll put your AMA number on the label as well, but that label will include the FAA one as well to be compliant. They are not the FAA, but a service that claims to help you fill out the paperwork plus sell you labels. Here is the fine print at the bottom of their web page:

Quote from: drone-registration.net
As a service provider of aviation labels and professional document preparation services, drone-registration.net provides a simplified process to help our clients obtain a drone registration with the U.S. Government and properly label drones and other radio controlled aircraft systems as mandated by the FAA. We work for our clients to help make the entire process quick, easy, secure, and worry free. We act on behalf of you (our client), and are not affiliated with any US government agency or the FAA. We are an independent site that was designed to obtain a registration number for you and assist with post-registration questions.

FAA has a warning about 3rd party services doing registration:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84245&cid=TW369

Quote from: FAA
FAA: Think Twice about "Drone Registration" Firms November 16 – Unmanned aircraft users should know they probably won’t need help registering their drones when the system is in place. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) wants unmanned aircraft owners to know that there's no need to work with a “drone registration” company to help them file an application for a registration number.

They are correct. I did the registration on-line with the FAA, and it took me less than 10 minutes to do. The process was simple enough, you don't need a 3rd party to do your paperwork for model airplanes. FAA takes you through creating an account with E-mail address and password, supplying your home address and phone number, clicking you understand the rules, pay $5 with credit card and you are done. FAA number shows up next, they send you an E-mail with your number, done deal. Save your password because you can get your number again if needed. They have a form with your number you can print out, laminate and stick in your wallet as well.

Also, I don't know if the drone-registration.net site is legitimate or not.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »
Registering your model airplane because of the stupid actions of some drone operators, is like castrating yourself because your neighbors have to many kids.

Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
the latest news I got from the AMA is that our numbers may eventually suffice but for now the FAA IT department cannot accomodate the logistics to get that functional prior to the deadline,, so if you fly RC or use a transmitter on your CL airframes,, you need to register with the FAA to be compliant

Or this is what was said at the AMA conference in CA as stated by the AMA and the FAA who were both in attendance and conducted a meeting regarding this
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2016, 01:15:03 PM »
As I read each of these forums and all the blather about AMA I wonder how many take the time to read all there is publicly on this issue and have a clear understanding on how a government agency behaves and thinks

The AMA number will never satisfy the DoT/FAA position for UAS registration unless the DoT/FAA allows it (which I highly doubt)

I state that knowing full well how their data bases are designed and managed much less how many hoops they have to go through to change a thing already in place... Several times in my DOD career I had to interface with federal agencies to get data for tests/experiment/studies, each time was a royal pain because they insist on non standard and proprietary data base structures...often hiding behind PII* or security rules and regulations or Federal law (and their myopic interpretation of the law)

The AMA number system is totally incompatible with the current DoT/FAA UAS registration system

The AMA re issues non used numbers
The AMA has a vanity program that could be alpha numeric or all alpha
The AMA doe NOT have a complete data base

There may be some accommodation by the FAA for the AMA to be the "community based organization" whit a ONE STOP registration portal rendering TWO distinct numbers to be attached to the air-frame

* PII = Personal Identifiable Information and there are a host of Laws the Government has to comply with that the AMA does not

Interesting reading for you guys may be the links for local law enforcement, rules, what they need, evidence, enforcement philosophy etc...
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
As someone that just had their PII leaked by the government recently, I'm not real keen on typing my info in again, especially for this purpose.
While I understand they are trying to achieve a goal, I don't believe they will accomplish that goal this way.
Not to be a broken record again, they need to register FPV gear at the point of sale. It's simple.
You don't see line of sight rc sport pilots flying their planes right next to an airport. Line of sight modeling is as safe as it has been all these years.
The folks flying, and profiting from sales of FPV gear should bear the burden required by this new technology.
Just one guys opinion, but this thing they are doing is worthless.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
Chris,
respectfully, I fly almost all of my
RC aircraft AT and airport, with express permission from the airport officials, we actuallyhold Pylon racing contests at the airport as well,, andwe are tlaking 200 mph aircraft

not sure how this will affect our racing, but thats what we do,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags: FAA 

Advertise Here