News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobby shops in South Easy Pa  (Read 1341 times)

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hobby shops in South Easy Pa
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
Hi All,

This is directed towards the Guys who fly in and around Philadelphia, West Chester and Wilmington Delaware. Where do you guys go to get supplies? I have two hobby shops I know of that kind of have somethings but not everything. They are:

Simpsons Hobby Shop in Delaware -
Black horse Hobby in Reading Pa

These are both about an hour away from me and have limited supplies - like covering, balsa wood etc.
Simpsons actually has a few control line kits (hurray!!)  y1

But I am looking for a real hobby shop - similar to the now closed Penn Valley Hobby Center.

Please post if you know of some places to try in the area.

Thanks,

Mccoy40   ~^

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Hobby shops in South Easy Pa
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
 I used to live in the Reading area around 20 yrs ago( Pottstown) and besides the hobby shop in Landsdale, Reading had the best shops around for modeling supplies. But that was 20 yrs ago, so theres no telling where to go today.....Gene

PS, Penn Valley was a real Hobby shop!!!!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
Hi All,

This is directed towards the Guys who fly in and around Philadelphia, West Chester and Wilmington Delaware. Where do you guys go to get supplies? I have two hobby shops I know of that kind of have somethings but not everything. They are:

Simpsons Hobby Shop in Delaware -
Black horse Hobby in Reading Pa

These are both about an hour away from me and have limited supplies - like covering, balsa wood etc.
Simpsons actually has a few control line kits (hurray!!)  y1

But I am looking for a real hobby shop - similar to the now closed Penn Valley Hobby Center.

Please post if you know of some places to try in the area.

Thanks,

Mccoy40   ~^

Minor correction required .
In Reading it is not black horse hobbies rather it is Iron Horse Hobbies on South 6th street just off Penn Avenue. And yes, they are reasonably well stocked.

Dennis

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Hubschmidts hobby's. A very unique hobby shop and location. He also had one heck of a kit collection. George Hubschmidt was a great person.

Offline Jack R

• New Pilot
  • John Rusnak
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Give brodaks your business..even if too far to drive..has everything

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:03:56 AM »
In the metropolitan Philly area there is not one hobby shop that has anything for the control line enthusiasts. My suggestion is to contact Brodaks OR the companies here on stunt hanger such as RMS,Tom Morris or the others.

Since you are in the Philly area why not join us for some flying? You can contact me at skipchernoff@gmail.com

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
Skip,

Thanks for reaching out - I will contact you at some point in the future.

All,

I'm sorry I was just hoping someone knew of a really good hobby shop that I hadn't been to as of yet.   

The reason why I was asking is because in the past year two hobby shops that were right down the road closed up.

The Simpson shop is pretty good and he has a good assortment of materials. He is getting  older though and will not be available probably in 5 years.

I venture south and west for my hobby supplies typically. I do order from Sig and Brodak and I am online quite a bit. I also visit the RSM site as well as just about any others I can find.

I was in Erie Pa about 5 years ago for a work assignment and came across Maxwell's hobby shop. WOW!! he does have everything from Venturi's to needle valve's to a wide assortment of kits. Very much like the old Penn Valley hobby shop.

Anyway thanks all for the replies.    H^^

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
There is Trains and Lanes in the Bethlehem area. Not much controlline but lots of supplies. I did see a chipmunk and magnum kits in the past. Lots of r/c cars, slot cars, trains, r/c planes. There was another but I would think it would be gone. Older gentleman that had controlline stuff. I want to say Dick Wetzel. I was there about 8 years ago......
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:01:05 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
I will be relocating out to Penn, will be north of Reading , in Hamburg. Planning to visit the hobby shop in Bethlehem to try out slot car racing. Hoping I can get to meet remaing members of Flying Dutchman in Reading and go flying at the Pagoda field. Otherwise  I'll make the trek to Philly Fliers club .
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Repeat post deleted
AMA 13001

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
Tom,

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the Bethlehem  shop.

I was actually at Dick Wetzel's shop once, and that was definitely I nice shop.  I bought a Sig Skyray 35 from him. Still have the kit. I use the ribs as templates though and build all kinds of things from that wing planform. P40's, Ryan STA's etc.

The Flying Dutchmen are a great group of guys - the flying circles are great!!
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
I will be relocating out to Penn, will be north of Reading , in Hamburg. Planning to visit the hobby shop in Bethlehem to try out slot car racing. Hoping I can get to meet remaing members of Flying Dutchman in Reading and go flying at the Pagoda field. Otherwise  I'll make the trek to Philly Fliers club .

Make sure to attend the Tri County Flea Market the last Saturday in March. Usually a faair amount of C/L stuff for sale . It is in Hamburg at the field house. It is the 23rd of March

Dennis
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:57:36 PM by dennis lipsett »

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »
I have the Hamburg swap meet on my calendar for Sat 23rd. Last Sat is the 30th.  I'm confused. Hoping I can meet folks from Flying Dutchman. If any Flying Dutchman will be there, please PM me . Thanks
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Online Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »
Lyle.   it is on the 23rd at the field house  on pine str.
ALAN E BUCK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here