News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High visibility spectra  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
High visibility spectra
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »

Guy's I am looking for some high vis (yellow) Spectra 30 lbs to 65 lbs to make some flying lines from.
 Where can I get this stuff?

Thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: High visibility spectra
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Ebay, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dicks, Academy, Amazon, almost any on-line fishing webstore.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
You may have to look pretty hard to find the yellow in a store.  Most places only stock the green, invisible on grass, kind.  Ordering it is probably your best bet.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
I'd suggest mail order from Cabelas or Bass Pro.  That will get you into high visibility product, which fishermen don't like.  Avoid Ebay or any other cut rate supplier.  I have bought some and run pull tests, and the pacific rim stuff is obviously not Spectra, but a cheap and dangerous counterfeit.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
Gil, are you wanting a color that is more easily seen in grass?  Yes, the yellow shows up in green grass, but here in DFW at this time of year, grass is no longer green.  It is brown/yellow!

There is an aqua green color.  Shows up in yellow grass or green grass.

I have heard complaints of bright colors in flight.  Too much of a distraction.  The aqua green, at least for me, solves both problems.

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
Mr Jim what lb test are you using on the Nobler sized airplanes? Is there a chart for weight of airplane to line size for the spectra?
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »
Mr Jim what lb test are you using on the Nobler sized airplanes? Is there a chart for weight of airplane to line size for the spectra?
  Scroll down to page 8.   https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016CLGeneral.pdf
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
  Scroll down to page 8.   https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016CLGeneral.pdf

Thanks for that info.  I did not know there was a chart for Spectra.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
I use the 65 pound test line.  The planes in my fleet are within a range of 48-55 ounces.  Of course, weight is not the only factor.  Speed and line length (radius) are part of the equation.

I chose the 65 pound line based on my own test data.  I use the uniknot since that is what is shown in the rules as the recommended (required?) knot.  There is a knockdown in line strength due to the knot.  Some knots will produce a line strength closer to the rated strength than others.

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Jim have you used these lines with a hard point handle or do you use adjustable cable handles? I seem to remember at the contest in Baton rouge you having the Moran type clips on the lines but don't remember if there was some sort of eye on the lines.
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
I use the 65 pound test line.  The planes in my fleet are within a range of 48-55 ounces.  Of course, weight is not the only factor.  Speed and line length (radius) are part of the equation.

I chose the 65 pound line based on my own test data.  I use the uniknot since that is what is shown in the rules as the recommended (required?) knot.  There is a knockdown in line strength due to the knot.  Some knots will produce a line strength closer to the rated strength than others.
  Just an FYI. For combat we use 100lb test. There is a rule that says you must use the nominal line diameter specified on the pull test chart. The 100lb spectra meets this requirement. The lower lb spectra does not. If anyone is planning on using them on combat ships just be aware to use 100lb. Your lines still need to measure .018 for combat. Sport flyers need not worry about it. It would be nice to see Spectra approved for use in CL Stunt Competition. VD~ S?P VD~ S?P

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
Just need proof that they will work in every day competition and make a rule change proposal.   Where I fly I would make a set and give them a work out.  Would 100 pound be too much for 35-46 size stunt planes in the 50-60 ounce range? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
Jim have you used these lines with a hard point handle or do you use adjustable cable handles? I seem to remember at the contest in Baton rouge you having the Moran type clips on the lines but don't remember if there was some sort of eye on the lines.

I use the cable handle but I see no reason to prevent you from using a hard point handle with them.

I tie the Spectra line directly to the line connector.  One guy here ties the line to an eye (thimble?) then attaches that to the connector.  I don't think it makes any difference either way.  I have the black coated brass scissor type and also the Moran clips, the type you can make yourself with that nice jig.  So, if you have a problem getting the lines to the same length, you can make up for it with connectors of different lengths using that jig.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
As a fisherman that uses Spectra Braid for some uses, the one thing I have noticed on windy days is the extra "bag" in the line, caused by aerodynamic drag. I'd be concerned about that for flying CL models, but I also haven't tried it. My suspicion is that you'd need to move your leadout guide rearward to compensate, and remove tipweight, because of the lighter weight.

The other thing, Tom Hampshire touched on, but I'd emphasize it...buy from a reputable source...not on eBay. Some eBay sellers will be ok, but that is where most counterfeit Spectra line is sold, so just an FYI.

I am a big fan of "Power Pro Super Slick 8", but I have not used all of the myriad choices of brands and types. My favorite vendor is Tackle Warehouse.   http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Power_Pro_Spectra_Fishing_Line/catpage-LNEPOWPRO.html  You can read the reviews on each type, but don't expect any CL specific opinions! FWIW, I think the "slick" type lines would have the least aero drag, and would suggest trying the Power Pro Super Slick 8, which appears to come only in yellow. There are some other "slick" coated lines. The only one I would not suggest is "Gliss", which is reported to have little abrasion resistance, and is quite expensive.

For myself, I'll stay with stainless steel cables.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
Beware of the "fusion" type spectra lines.  The fusion variety is heat fused to make it smooth, and it is not as strong/tough.  
Not sure if the "slick" varieties are fused.

PowerPro and Suffix are good reputable brands.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:14:46 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Just need proof that they will work in every day competition and make a rule change proposal.   Where I fly I would make a set and give them a work out.  Would 100 pound be too much for 35-46 size stunt planes in the 50-60 ounce range? H^^

There is plenty of proof that they work in everyday competition.  The guys at my local circle have been using them for at least three years, maybe as long as five.  It is not competition, but they fly the regular pattern all the time with them and have had no issues.  I have flown in local events with them, if permitted, with that "waiver."  I don't know what else to call it.  Others have used them as well in contests but you just don't hear much about it.

Funny you should mention a rule change proposal.  I think momentum is building for that.  I have heard from too many who have used the Spectra fiber.  A few have said that they will never use steel lines again as they are as obsolete as a typewriter or a VCR.  But, to each his own.  Use whatever you are comfortable with.

Regarding the 100 pound line for a plane in the 50-60 ounce range:  I can only tell you what my experience has been.  My heaviest plane is 55 ounces.  So, the required pull test is 35 pounds (rounded up).  I use the 65 pound test line on that plane.  My somewhat crude pull tests were done with dumbbells and a digital fish scale, using the uniknot.  Nearly every test specimen failed about 39-40 pounds.  A few were around 42, some as low as 36.  So, I went with 35 pounds as my limit.  This still gives me a 2:1 factor for the pull test.

I have seen 80 pound test line at Academy.  Use that if you want to be more conservative.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
As a fisherman that uses Spectra Braid for some uses, the one thing I have noticed on windy days is the extra "bag" in the line, caused by aerodynamic drag. I'd be concerned about that for flying CL models, but I also haven't tried it. My suspicion is that you'd need to move your leadout guide rearward to compensate, and remove tipweight, because of the lighter weight.

The other thing, Tom Hampshire touched on, but I'd emphasize it...buy from a reputable source...not on eBay. Some eBay sellers will be ok, but that is where most counterfeit Spectra line is sold, so just an FYI.

I am a big fan of "Power Pro Super Slick 8", but I have not used all of the myriad choices of brands and types. My favorite vendor is Tackle Warehouse.   http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Power_Pro_Spectra_Fishing_Line/catpage-LNEPOWPRO.html  You can read the reviews on each type, but don't expect any CL specific opinions! FWIW, I think the "slick" type lines would have the least aero drag, and would suggest trying the Power Pro Super Slick 8, which appears to come only in yellow. There are some other "slick" coated lines. The only one I would not suggest is "Gliss", which is reported to have little abrasion resistance, and is quite expensive.

For myself, I'll stay with stainless steel cables.  y1 Steve

Could it be that the extra "bag" or bow in the lines is not due to greater drag but because of less mass, less inertia?  The much lighter Spectra is more easily deflected.  I never moved the leadouts to compensate.  Maybe I would have seen a difference if I had but since the plane flew well enough I left the lead out position alone.  I did have to remove tip weight.

I found the Power Pro Super 8 Slick in aqua green.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »
Doc, Per the AMA table you only need 60lb for a model up to 64oz. That is what I would use. Just use the proper knot. As for them working, MANY combat guys made the switch long ago. There are just too many advantages over steel not to use them. I have not used steel lines on a combat ship in over 4 years. No mishaps, no line breaks and no fly-aways. I have broken lots of steel lines in matches. If these lines will hold up in a combat match I see no reason they would not be safe for CLPA.

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
Tried them (100lb) for the first time this year in practice and testing. Had a aircraft get fouled of the launch stodge and come into the circle and then go out jerking the lines HARD. The lines did not break.

This is the actual rule from PAGE 5 of the AMA CL rules

5.3.5.1 Spectra Lines
Lines made of Spectra fiber, made of gel spun ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene are permitted for sport
flying and demonstration purposes.

Spectra lines are not permitted in competition unless the specific rules for the event flown expressly permit such use.
   Combat is the only event that allows their use.

The use of high visibility yellow lines is recommended, but not required.

For sport and demonstration flying with two lines, Spectra lines shall have the following strengths:

Aircraft   Engine     Watts    Rated
Weight   Displ.                   Spectra St.  Dia.
24 oz.   .09            300      20 lbs.       .010”
40 oz.   .25            450      40 lbs.       .013”
64 oz.   .40            600      60 lbs.       .016”
75 oz.   .75            750    100 lbs.       .018” Reqd. For Combat
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
I am just asking for the sake of clarification,  but it seems to me combat is the toughest on lines. If it's safe for combat competition, why not stunt competition?

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »

I would tend to go lightly in an attempt to legalize Spectra use for Stunt.  Since the original rules submission and the underlying testing, it seems to be slowly catching on.  It looks to me like the lighter weight of Spectra (about 20% of the weight of steel) does result in less unwanted rolling (tip to tip) moment in manuevers.  This should ultimately result in widespread acceptance of  the new material.

---Political opinion warning---

The difficulty is that if anyone submits a premature rules change proposal and it fails, then we have a more difficult problem.  An adverse decision has already been made, and momentum will make it difficult to reverse.  I'd tend to wait until we have several upper rank fliers who support it.  Only then should a formal rules change proposal be made.  Thus far, I have only heard that Frank Williams has used it and has a favorable opinion.  Comment from Frank or other fliers at the top of the heap is invited.

---Rant over, soapbox safely stowed away---

One last thing.  The original test report which I submitted to the AMA, runs to about 8 pages and is somewhat tedious.  Might anyone want to read it in full?  Maybe it could be useful, but  I'm hesitant to post it if it will only serve to waste Sparky's bandwidth.  Post your opinion, please!

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »
My concern with the Spectra lines would be with the abrasion over time on asphalt. With my limited knowledge fishing and 1/2a use only is that it does not like to be rubbed on stuff. With steel lines you can feel a bad spot while running out your lines. With spectra I do not know if you would feel a bad spot or if you would have to visually inspect every inch of line.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
Guys, I am very interested in this Spectre stuff. Does it kink like metal lines? How long does it last. Could someone show me the knots or braids you use to secure it?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
The weakest point of spectra is heat resistance. I use it (Power Pro) as free flight towline, where the line is much more stressed than in CL use. Both in tension and abrasion agains rough surface.
Basically, there are only 3 ways to accidentaly break a towline;

-Line tangle with another flier, if either panics and starts running, friction heat can easily break the line.

-Abrasion in handling and when they are rolled back to reel. Usually it starts at knots. So, it's good to protect the knots with something but do not use heat shrink, the heat will affect to strenght. Thin self-vulcanizing tape is good at least with thicker lines used in FF (my thinnest lines are 0,55mm) but may be tricky to apply to thinner lines. Also, a thin braided sleeve (from boat shop) is good.

-New line can easily break in FF launch if it has not been properly run in. What happens, is that when the line suddenly gets tight, the knots tighten too quickly and friction heat causes the line to break. It's really an aggressive thing, I have broken lines in wintertime, even at -20C temperature.
To run the lines in, I very slowly tension the line to average launch tension, about 30..35kp, keep it there for 5 seconds and then slowly relax the tension. Repeat that 5..6 times.

The line will basically allways break at knot. It has to be REALLY worn out to break elsewhere first.

Lauri

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 11:34:05 AM »
Guys, I am very interested in this Spectre stuff. Does it kink like metal lines? How long does it last. Could someone show me the knots or braids you use to secure it?

I have not seen any tendency to kink.  Others have made similar reports.  How long do they last?  Like anything else it depends on severity of use.

There are all kinds of knots.  I am not familiar with many of them but learning slowly.  The general rules section shows the uniknot.  Every package of Power Pro line has a booklet showing the uniknot and others.   I have seen guys use the Palomar as well.  Which is the best?  I don't know.  The uniknot has worked for me so that is what I use.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Regarding the previous adverse decision on the Spectra fiber, what was (were) the reason(s) for the rejection?

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
Jim - There has not been an adverse decision as yet.  My point is that we don't want one, hence should proceed carefully with a stunt rules change proposal.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
Jim - There has not been an adverse decision as yet.  My point is that we don't want one, hence should proceed carefully with a stunt rules change proposal.

I agree that we need to have everything lined up.  I am willing to take the time to do it right, but none of us are getting any younger.  I can only offer my support and the results of my experience with the Spectra fiber.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »

I would tend to go lightly in an attempt to legalize Spectra use for Stunt.  Since the original rules submission and the underlying testing, it seems to be slowly catching on.  It looks to me like the lighter weight of Spectra (about 20% of the weight of steel) does result in less unwanted rolling (tip to tip) moment in manuevers.  This should ultimately result in widespread acceptance of  the new material.

---Political opinion warning---

The difficulty is that if anyone submits a premature rules change proposal and it fails, then we have a more difficult problem.  An adverse decision has already been made, and momentum will make it difficult to reverse.  I'd tend to wait until we have several upper rank fliers who support it.  Only then should a formal rules change proposal be made.  Thus far, I have only heard that Frank Williams has used it and has a favorable opinion.  Comment from Frank or other fliers at the top of the heap is invited.

---Rant over, soapbox safely stowed away---

One last thing.  The original test report which I submitted to the AMA, runs to about 8 pages and is somewhat tedious.  Might anyone want to read it in full?  Maybe it could be useful, but  I'm hesitant to post it if it will only serve to waste Sparky's bandwidth.  Post your opinion, please!

Respectfully I must disagree.  There have been tons of guys flying combat with it for many years since it was approved. Its been out there long enough that if there were serious problems with it we would know by now. If guys were having fly aways and breaking lines all the time believe me the word would be out, and it would have been banned by now. The abuses that combat lines take are far greater than anything in stunt. I have heard of only 2 fly aways with spectra and both of those involved slack lines, then the bellcrank pulling out. The lines never broke. I would love to see your report and thank you for being involved in getting AMA to approve them for combat and sport flying.  Personally I will never use steel on combat ships again. If they get approved for CLPA all the better.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »
Mike, I am as sure as you that Spectra will not cause us any safety problems.  My concern is that the CLPA contest board would have to approve any change.   I don't see enough positive comment yet,  either here or in Stunt News,  to be fairly sure that such a proposal would succeed.

At any rate, here is the original report to the AMA competition committee.  It is a little dated, particularly as to the knots.  Steve Helmick or other fishermen should speak to the ever changing fashions in tying, as the fishing community is a lot bigger than C/L flying.   (Please note that the video clips will not post here.  They are available at the AMA website in the C/L General rules.)

Spectra Lines

Here’s the results of some knot and line testing on various brands of spiderwire/stren/cabelas brands of braided super fishline.  It is most commonly called Spectra braid, but is all manufactured by Honeywell under license from Dyneema, a Dutch conglamerate.  It is sold exclusively under the trade name Spectra in the US.  Since Spectra is the name under which it is sold, I will refer to it by that name.  

By way of preface, I have some familiarity with the use of cordage for fishing and small boats, but am far from expert in either. It turns out that any knot must be tied so as to generate equal tension among all fibers throughout. This means that when you tie, both the tag end (the leftover end) and the standing part (the line to be used) must be under tension when the knot is pulled down tight. The line should also be lubricated with saliva to get it to tighten evenly. This is not an exact process, so most really proficient fisherman tie at least a few knots for practice before the one for use is tied. For light tackle or tournament use, 10 or 20 practice knots are common.

That said, the first tests were just tensile strength of the line itself. The test rig was made up by wrapping the line around a dowel, 5 or 6 turns, and holding it in place with plywood pads held under a C clamp . The standing end was wrapped around a dowel clamped in a vise, between small plywood pads, and the free end wrapped around another dowel held between pads with a C clamp. A spring scale I use for pull tests was hooked around the free dowel and pulled by hand, and the readings recorded. For reference, it would have been better to have a slider on the scale so the reading at failure could be ‘saved’. As it was, I simply pulled slowly and watched the scale closely until failure occurred.

The lines were Cabelas Ripcord, 25lb test, yellow. This was used for all the knot tests which follow. I also pulled 20lb Stren braid and 30lb Spiderwire. All passed without difficulty, breaking at about 2-4  lbs over rated strength. All of these measured about .007- .009 inch diameter. This is an estimate because the braid does collapse some under the pressure of the caliper or micrometer jaws. I elected to average the readings between when the first contact with the braid could be felt, (about .011 in.) and when under full compression (about .005 in.).

On to the knots themselves, the best website I found is the kite knots page under http://members.aol.com/goodheavens/knots.html. For curiosity’s sake, see the following websites: Animatedknotsbygrog, realknots and thefishingsite.  Here’s the results:

Knot                            Result           Pull                    CA                    Remarks

Improved clinch          slid               3 lb                      no
Double larks head       slid    4, 12, 15 lb                     no                     3 tests
“                                  broke           16 lb                    yes
Albright                      slid                 5 lb                    no                     10 turn
“                                  broke           16 lb                    yes                    10 turn
“                                  broke           12 lb                    yes                      7 turn
Double larks head
With Clinch added      broke           21 lb                    yes                    Hard to tie
Palomar                       broke           21 lb                     no

Note that the Albright was tied to a loop of 27 lb Dacron flyline backing, all other were tied to a wire loop simulating a line clip.  I expected the cushioning effect of the softer Dacron loop would make the Albright the best choice.  Not so, the Palomar is the easiest to use, and gets up to 21/25 or about 81 % of the rated line strength.  Not bad for any knot.

I also opted not to test the knot sleeves the kite guys use.  They put the spectra through a Dacron sleeve to add cushioning and friction to the knot.  I don’t think it’s a good idea because the sleeve will prevent the user/pit boss from seeing a broken or bulged strand in the spectra line.  For the same reason, my preference is to avoid the use of CA to prevent knot slippage.  If you’d like to try some sleeves, they can be bought ($2.50) from the site at flyingdragonkites under sleeving kit.

As expected with anything new, you ask the wrong question at first.  From all of the pulling and tugging, it feels like line stretch will be the problem, not line strength.  I could feel it stretch as each test was made.  For comparison purposes, a conventional set of 7 strand stainless steel lines, .015 inch diameter, 60 feet long, stretches about 3.5 inches under a pull test tension of 30 lbs.  Steel lines return to their original length when the tension is released.  The test rig is simplicity itself.  Fix the airplane ends of the lines to an anchor point.  Lay a ruler on the ground, pull up the lines to get about zero tension, set the zero end of the ruler directly under the edge of the handle.  Sight across the edge of the handle to the ruler when you pull the lines to tension.

I made up a set of 61’1” foot lines from 100 lb test Cabelas spectra to stretch test against the steel benchmark.  The 61’1” length was the initial length, measured before any tension had been applied to the lines.   All measurements of overall length were measured against a 2 lb pull to draw the slack out.  Results are:

Tension                Stretch under tension                    Overall length
10 lbs                      3 in
20 lbs                      7 in
30 lbs                  10.75 in

After a prestretch of 25 lbs, held for 1 minute:
30 lbs                      7 in                                              61’5”

After a prestretch of 40 lb applied for 1 minute:
30lbs                    7.5 in                                            61’5.5”

So the difficulty isn’t the knot strength at all.   The lines have to be much stronger than the required pull test (3 times as much for this test set) in order to control the stretch.  After the prestretch,  this 100 lb spectra appeared to stretch just twice as much as steel.  A couple of anecdotal stories:  Phil Cartier let me fly a 75MPH combat ship on Spectra this spring.  It turned about as well as one would turn on steel lines.  The big difference in feel is that the lighter line weight is very noticeable.  There is less roll in turns, and it felt like the tip weight was much less than that needed for steel.  So changing the lines will require retrimming, at least to take out tip weight, and probably changing the line rake as well.   Second, Larry Scarinzi had a lot of flight time on .010 solid music wire lines in the 1950’s.  He feels they were more responsive but had to give up on them when K&B greenheads got to towing his combat ships over 100 MPH.  At those speeds, the thin lines stretched in turns, and the turns widened uncontrollably.  So the diameters went up to
.015 7 strand stainless.  Safety?  Not a care in the world!  My, my, times do change.  Anyhow, that’s what there is so far.

The above was a post on the Stunthangar forum on August 22, 2007.  Since then the Spectra lines have changed little, but the fishing community has gained considerable additional experience in how to use them.  There are several knots which pull to 100%  of the strand strength.  I looked at the Bimini Twist and San Diego  Special but rejected them because they are quite slow and hard to tie.  The one I settled on is the 5 Turn Uniknot.  A very good clip explaining it is at :

My testing of it tied with Spectra Braid 30lb test from Cabelas gave failures at 38-40 lb., when tied on a bight, or double strand.   These tests all exceeded the initial tests of the same line with the same scale, which measured 32 lbs on the strand alone, without a knot.  It failed at 30 lbs., 100%, when tied on a single strand.  It is fairly easy to tie with two hands and no other vise or assistant.  It seems that this should be the knot to use in the termination section of the CL General rules.

There are some other areas of concern that have come up over the last few years of using Spectra.  It is available in a high visibility yellow color.  This is a good step above either camoflage colored Spectra line or the brown tinted 7 strand stainless.  The bright yellow is very easy to see against grass or blacktop.

Spectra is also nonconductive to electricity at 5 volts.  Flying with it to date has not given any of the static discharges which are common with steel on bright sunny days.  It looks as if the static discharges come from sweeping a long connector across whatever electric fields occur in nature.  It should be noted that this WILL NOT result in any protection at all if a flyer uses Spectra in a lightning storm or near a high voltage transmission line.  Apparently that discharge comes from ionizing the air molecules along the path to ground, so the conductivity of the line is not a governing factor.

The performance of the model is very favorably affected  by the use of Spectra, because it weighs about one fifth as much as steel.  A set of .011 x 60 Spectra (50 lb test Spiderwire) comes in at 4.8 gr, and a similar set of .015 x 60 stainless 7 strand at 28.2 gr.  In flight, the difference in feel is dramatic.  The lines follow the airplane, and have much less momentum which causes the airplane to lag control inputs while the lines are pulled in a new direction.  The Spectra does require that the airplane be retrimmed with much less tip weight, and a little less line rake as well.

The tensile strength of Spectra is very close to that of music wire. (Marks Handbook, Wikipedia) Music wire is hard, high carbon steel.  Stainless is about 25-30% less strong, but has been in use for 50 years, because of its superior corrosion and fatigue resistance.  Spectra is not subject to either uv damage, corrosion or fatigue.  My experience in handling Spectra has shown that it is much more able to handle mistreatment by kinking, abrasion, and the like.  Although we all try to avoid it, lines do get stepped on and Spectra pretty much makes that type of accident a non-event.  It cannot be damaged by kinking, and is much easier to handle on and off the spool.  

The table below shows relative tensile strengths between stainless lines and Spectra:

Stainless  7 strand                                           Spectra

Dia.            Breaking strength                               Dia       Breaking/Rated strength

.008            11lbs                                                  .009       20lbs

.012            24lbs                                                  .011       30lbs   
                                                                              .013       40lbs
.015            33lbs                                                  .014       50 lbs
                                                                              .016       60lbs
.018            50lbs                                                  .017       80lbs
                                                                              .018      100lbs

The data for stainless came from the McMaster-Carr website, checked with actual test results obtained by pulling samples to destruction.  A few samples failed at one pound below the rating.  The data for Spectra is for Cabela's Spectra Braid house brand and Spiderwire, with confirmation by pulling to destruction that the Spectra will withstand tension at the rating shown on the package.  No samples were encountered which failed to meet the rating on the package, and some exceeded it by 20-25 %.

At this juncture, the Combat CLCB has voted in favor of  using Spectra lines because of their superior abrasion resistance.  But the General CL rules do not contain any specifications for the use of Spectra, or termination.  The following are my own thoughts as to a first draft amendment to the General CL Rules:

In Para. 2, General, Replace 'Steel wire lines or metal lines of equivalent strength' with 'Steel or Spectra lines'.  (Line2)

In para.5, Size, Construction and Measurement of Control Lines. Section 5.3.5, amend the second sentence From:  Any system of using knots is specifically considered 'not as strong as' those systems shown as required in 5.3.  To:    Any system of using knots in steel or stainless steel lines is specifically considered 'not as strong as' those systems shown as required in 5.3.  

Add new section 5.3.5.1  Spectra Lines.
     Lines made of Spectra fiber, made of gel spun ultra high molecular weight polyethylene are permitted for sport flying and demonstration purposes.  Spectra lines are not permitted in competition unless the specific rules for the event flown expressly permit such use.  The use of high visibility yellow lines is recommended, but not required.  For sport and demonstration flying with two lines, Spectra lines shall have the following strengths:

Aircraft weight    AND   Engine displacement or Electric  less than
  not over                            less than (cu.in)       (Watts)
                                                                                                   Rated Spectra strength:

24 oz                                  .09                              300               20 lbs               .010 dia
40 oz                                  .25                              450               40 lbs               .013 dia
64 oz                                  .40                              600               60 lbs               .016 dia
75 oz                                  .75                              750             100 lbs.              .018 dia

All lines shall be pull tested to 10 times the model weight. An aircraft must meet both the weight and power standards to qualify for the stated line size.  Exceeding either standard places the aircraft in the next larger line size bracket.  Aircraft shall be weighed with either a full fuel tank or battery on board.

Terminations shall be constructed using a 5 turn uniknot, tied on a bight, or two strands of line looped back from the free end.  An instruction film of the knot can be found at .    The drawings below show a single strand for clarity, but should be tied on a bight.  The knot is tied as follows:

1) Run at least six inches of line through the eye of the clip, and fold to make two parallel lines. Bring the tag end of the line back in a circle toward the clip.     

2) Make six turns with the tag end around the double line and through the circle.
3) Hold the double line at the point where it passes through the eye, and pull the tag end to snug up the turns.     

4) To create a loop connection: Adjust the loop size by sliding the knot up or down the standing line. Then pull the tag end with pliers to maximize tightness.     

5) To create a snug knot: Pull the standing line to slide the knot up against the eye. Then continue pulling until the knot is tight. Trim the tag end flush with the closest coil on the knot.   
(End of draft rule amendment)

Please note that the strengths specified and confirmed for the Spectra are approximately twice that of the equivalent diameter stainless steel.  This means that the stainless strands are stressed to about half of their breaking strength during the pull test, while the Spectra is stressed to about 30-35% of its breaking strength during the pull test.

I hope this submission is helpful.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if  I can assist in any way.

Respectfully Submitted

Tom Hampshire
                                                    AMA 31919

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
I've tied some specialty knots, tying a fluorocarbon leader to braided mainline at home, but I don't try to do them in the boat. I stick with the Palomar or Trilene knots, depending on which is most practical for the situation. A drop of CA wouldn't hurt, I don't think.

There was a thread on this topic here maybe 6 months ago. You might search for it. I believe I was the one that suggested trying the "no knot" connector, and Frank Williams reported that he'd tried it for bay fishing with no problems.

I did a Google for them and found this site...in UK, but these things are definitely available here. It wouldn't be hard for a modeler to make these at home. Probably .045" music wire would do. https://www.fishingmegastore.com/savage-gear-braid-knotless-connector-dull-black~14507.html    y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
In my experience CA glue makes the line break at the end of the CA wicking.  I broke some test samples before tying up lines to fly on.

My fishing experience of tying high tech lines to monofiliment or other non-wire connectors is the high tech line will CUT into the softer material.

I tie one end of my flying lines to a connector.  I tie the other end to an eyelet.  The connector goes to the aircraft, the eyelet has a connector taken to the handle.  This works well with hard point handles.

I spool out extra and tie one end of each line, then stretch them straight and MARK them with a sharpie together at the same time.  I then include the sharpie mark in the knot.  This is easier said than done, but is not very hard to do.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here