News:

• June 17, 2024, 08:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Over Reactive Magician  (Read 4578 times)

Online Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Over Reactive Magician
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:30:08 AM »
From cold Pennsylvnia,      39 degrees this morning.

I have a Magician, powered by a Fox 35.  It flies well but over reacts with the slightest touch of the handle.   How could I remedy this situation?

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: Over Reactive Magician
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:56:46 AM »
Move elevator pushrod to a lower (further from the pivot point) hole in the horn.

Reduce you line spacing at the handle. 
If your handle is not adjustable, I recommend you get one that is.  Prefably a hard point.  Tom Morris sells one for $20.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:59:36 AM »
OK let me be the first to respond. It may be tail heavy. ( Most likely) Check your handle. If you close the line spacing it will become less sensitive  and vice versa.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
OK let me be the first to respond. It may be tail heavy. ( Most likely) Check your handle. If you close the line spacing it will become less sensitive  and vice versa.

Chuck

Beat me to it. Yes, without seeing it I would also say tail heavy but elevator deflection may also be contributing.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »
Use inner hole on Bellcrank. (if accessable!)

Use outer hole on elev. horn or use bigger horn.

And all that stuff about the handle too...

W.

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
If it's tail heavy then when the engine cuts off it'll tend to slow down.  In extreme cases, it'll seem to want to stop in the air and float down unless you give it a lot of down elevator.  It'll also (and this is harder to tell) react more to gusts and turbulence.

Where's your CG?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
Make it balance just aft of the high point of the wing, maybe a half inch at most. If it is still too twitchy close down the handle spacing some, 1/8 inch at a time, moving both the up and down line towards the center. If this does not help or if you do not have an adjustable handle you may have the controls set up too quick.

Derek

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:22 AM »
How, where and what do some of you use to attach weight to the front of a profile plane?

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:20 AM »
Try taking some weight off the back end.

I read the suggestions and the only one I agree with is tail heavy.  Excessive control movement can make a stall more likely, but it won't create instability.
Paul Smith

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:41 AM »
How, where and what do some of you use to attach weight to the front of a profile plane?

One way to do it is to use a heavier muffler on the engine. If you are using a tongue muffler, switch to to regular Fox 35 muffler.

You can use stick-on weights from Brodak. They might come off after a while, so keep an eye on them. You can glue or bolt them on.

http://brodak.com/stick-on-weights.html

Other options include a Brass spinner nut (Harry Higley Heavy Hub) or a weighted washer. I forget who makes the washers.

-Chris

ps. I stick them (stick on weights) on the nose opposite of the fuel tank.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »
I would experiment with stick on (or taped. wired) weights until I had the amount I wanted.  Then bore holes on the bottom between the ply doublers and bury lead fishing sinkers to that weight in the holes with epoxy.  If you wish you can fill and paint over the holes.

Dave

Be sure to follow the guidelines Derek mentioned about the CG.  When it's balanced at that spot don't overdo the nose weight.  Start closing down the handle spacing.  Regardless of the cause these steps should make it fly better for you.
Second addendum; I pulled out my old Magician kit plans and the designer (Jim Silhavy) put the CG just 1 1/4" behind the leading edge.  This is MUCH further forward than we would do it nowadays but then he likely was using the old 5" EZ Just handle.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:32:43 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »
Not a profile, but.......Brass spinner..muffler
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
Is the Magician built without movable flaps or does it have flaps?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
I would experiment with stick on (or taped. wired) weights until I had the amount I wanted.  Then bore holes on the bottom between the ply doublers and bury lead fishing sinkers to that weight in the holes with epoxy.  If you wish you can fill and paint over the holes.

Dave

Be sure to follow the guidelines Derek mentioned about the CG.  When it's balanced at that spot don't overdo the nose weight.  Start closing down the handle spacing.  Regardless of the cause these steps should make it fly better for you.
Second addendum; I pulled out my old Magician kit plans and the designer (Jim Silhavy) put the CG just 1 1/4" behind the leading edge.  This is MUCH further forward than we would do it nowadays but then he likely was using the old 5" EZ Just handle.

Not necessarily.  Attached is hopefully a PDF of Bench Trimming A Stunt Ship by Brett Buck.  If it isn't attached Google Bench Trimming A Stunt Ship and you will find it.

This is a very helpful document that has saved me a lot of grief.  Thanks to Brett on this.  Follow these instructions. 

All due respect to Derek, I suspect half an inch aft of the high point is way to far back for the average guy.  1 1/4" behind the leading edge per the plans that you mention by the designer sounds like it is about 15% of the MAC, assuming the wing chord is what I think it is, which is close to what is recomended in the article. 

You can melt lead with a soldering iron into the backplate of your Fox to get to the recommended CG in the article.  JB Weld this and/or make a tin cover that is held on with the backplate screws.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
Not necessarily.  Attached is hopefully a PDF of Bench Trimming A Stunt Ship by Brett Buck.  If it isn't attached Google Bench Trimming A Stunt Ship and you will find it.

This is a very helpful document that has saved me a lot of grief.  Thanks to Brett on this.  Follow these instructions. 

All due respect to Derek, I suspect half an inch aft of the high point is way to far back for the average guy.  1 1/4" behind the leading edge per the plans that you mention by the designer sounds like it is about 15% of the MAC, assuming the wing chord is what I think it is, which is close to what is recomended in the article. 

You can melt lead with a soldering iron into the backplate of your Fox to get to the recommended CG in the article.  JB Weld this and/or make a tin cover that is held on with the backplate screws.

Everybody is quite welcome to the .PDF, of course, and there is another thing that might be useful here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=7798.0

Again, with all due respect to Derek, and bearing in mind that I don't have the plans in front of me -  1/2" behind the high point sounds pretty sporty. Might get away with that on a Impact, not so likely with a teeny-tail Magician, even with movable flap. I am not a fan of excess forward CG, but 1.5" sounds more like it to me, too. It should be around 18% of MGC with movable flaps, or 15% with elevator-only. Once you get it close, you can experiment with moving it back *teeny bits at a time*, like 1/16" at a time and see what happens. The range of acceptable CGs will be *very very small* as is typical with these sorts of airplanes with small tail volume. Move it more than that, and you might jump from too sluggish to too twitchy in one step.

Weight can be added by putting on Prather nose weights on the propellor shaft, by melting lead into the backplate, stick-on weights, whatever. Once you get it in the right area, then you can make it look neat. Don't be dissuaded by the amount of weight you are adding, if it needs 3 oz, so be it, there is no alternative. One of my local flying buddies built a Barnstormer that took something like **6 OZ** of nose weight. He was really upset with the weight it added, so he took it off. He managed to keep it in the air but with the CG off by **several inches** he eventually decided that heavy and balanced right was better than light and uncontrollable. There is no trick that will make it fly right if the CG is not right.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »
I would certainly check for lumpy controls while under tension, if the CG is not pretty close to that 1.5" spec.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
Thanks guys,

Yep, I still use an E-Z just handle.  I am going to add some weight with wire or tape to the front and see what happens.  The engine is a Fox 35 w/o muffler.  It's an old one.  I think I have another muffler here but not sure how I would attach it.

Thanks again,

I'll post again when I get to fly and get it worked out.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »
        Yep, I still use an E-Z just handle.  I am going to add some weight with wire or tape to the front and see what happens.  The engine is a Fox 35 w/o muffler.  It's an old one.  I think I have another muffler here but not sure how I would attach it.

EZ-Just handle has a 4" spacing. I suspect the bellcrank on your model is most likely 3" or maybe even smaller. I am pretty sure your problem is in the handle. Before you make any other changes, I suggest you make sure the line spacing at the handle is closer to the bellcrank size, ie 3".  This needs to be done before you start adding weights. Adding weight is the last thing you want to do to a model.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
Thousand of Magicians, Twisters etc. have been flown with a 3 inch bellcrank and EasyAdjust handle. I know the modern thinking but it will work fine when the CG is right and make sure the controls are not sticking.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
Thousand of Magicians, Twisters etc. have been flown with a 3 inch bellcrank and EasyAdjust handle. I know the modern thinking but it will work fine when the CG is right and make sure the controls are not sticking.

If it is *only* a matter of control sensitivity then it is just a matter of either altering the handle or learning to live with it (which is indeed what we used to do). If it's a matter of the CG being misplaced, it will have many other ill effects in addition to being twitchy, so it's worth trying to fix it.

One of the classic mistakes from the good old days was to use a giant handle with a teeny bellcrank and fast ratios, and then load on noseweight until you could fly it. I think a little attention to detail can avoid that one, if one wants to.

brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
I,ve never understood why so many people want to address problems with band-aids instead of fixing the problem!

Put the CG where it belongs...

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
Well,  I finally flew the Magician.  I added some weight on the front, oiled the controls,  and I also used a biased handle.  Wow! a totally different Magician - fun to fly, not over re-acative.  I flew three flights.  The first on was only loops, fine, a little lean on the needle.  The second time I flew it a bit richer.  I did horizontal eights as well and flew inverted with the richer needle. It had a decent break. The third flight was the same except that half the weight dropped off before the third flight as it was only wired on.  I haven't tried vertical eights yet which is the high point of my accomplishments.  I am a bit afraid of the Fox burp. It started to run strange near the end of third flight. I suspect a loose engine, tank or fuel in the dirt line - (dirt in the fuel filter).    I will hopefully be able to fly some more soon.  This Magician is fun.  As it was before it was uncontrollable.  It's a new Magician.

Thanks for all the advice.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
There are, of course, various "spinner weights" and brass spinner nuts that will quickly and easily adjust the CG. Since you have a profile, you can use extra-long bolts on the lower engine mounting bolts and add a few of the 1/2 oz SIG/Brodak lead weights to those. Use the existing center hole and add a second hole, so as to pickup both bolts. I did this with elastic lock nuts on flatwashers against the engine lug, then a flatwasher, the lead weight, another washer and another lock nut, & worked well. I haven't noticed any evil tendencies from a spinner weight, however. Adding a heavier and more effective muffler is my first choice, however.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
I found out that the change in the engine sound was indeed loose engine bolts.  Now - to find the loctite.

I haven't   secured the weights yet.  It already has a weighted spinner.  It actually doesn't have a muffler.  That's a great idea.   I may investigate that.  I was flying at a camp ground and woke up my nephews one year old at 7:45 in the evening.  They told me it sounded like a chain saw.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:59 AM »
I epoxied 1 1/4 oz of weight on the lower lip of the engine opening at the very front and secured the engine with an extra set of bolts washers and lock washers.   On the three flights mentioned above I had the weights wired on to test out that option.  I had an ounce plus a fishing sinker.  After the fishing sinker came off, it still flew well so I settled on 1 1/4 oz.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 06:43:22 AM »
On profiles I many times use bolts long enough to put nylon locking nuts on the end up against the blind nuts. You will never have loose engine bolts again. Magicians are cool planes.
Jim Kraft

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
On profiles I many times use bolts long enough to put nylon locking nuts on the end up against the blind nuts. You will never have loose engine bolts again...
And unlike JB Weld, the nylon lock nuts allow you to loosen the bolts when the plane is in the hangar. I like to do that to keep from compressing the beam wood. I hang a red tag on a string from a nut as a reminder to tighten before use.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:17:28 AM »
I,ve never understood why so many people want to address problems with band-aids instead of fixing the problem!

Put the CG where it belongs...

Randy Cuberly

... Or extend the nose during the build if using a light engine (Fox .35).
I like the idea of weight in the backplate, but only on a "built" model.
P.P.P.P.P.P. = Proper Planning Prevents Pi## Poor Performance.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
I like the idea of extending the nose.  Actually,  this is a hand-me-down with a hand-me-down engine.  I am grateful for the gift.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »
Midasize it.
Not having a muffler and needing noseweight would seem to be an easy equation.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
I had one Magician with a Fox 35 and before adding a muffer I made a piece of steel 1/8" thick with holes to match the engine mounting bolts. I then used long bolts to mount the engine and put the steel on the left side of the fuselage for added nose weight. It worked well. I later put on a stock Fox 35 muffler and took off the weight.
Jim Kraft

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
One way to do it is to use a heavier muffler on the engine. If you are using a tongue muffler, switch to to regular Fox 35 muffler.

You can use stick-on weights from Brodak. They might come off after a while, so keep an eye on them. You can glue or bolt them on.

http://brodak.com/stick-on-weights.html

Other options include a Brass spinner nut (Harry Higley Heavy Hub) or a weighted washer. I forget who makes the washers.

-Chris

ps. I stick them (stick on weights) on the nose opposite of the fuel tank.

sure off topic
I get my stick-on weights for a can of beer or two
from the "Tires and Rims" dealer next corner.
They use them to balance wheels, aluminum rims with tires.
Saves me bucks for shipping.

Peter
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
Actually, the weights I glued on were stick on weights from some place.  I pulled them off of a plane that ended it's earthly sojourn. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
I've seen many planes with stick-on weights, but they weren't stuck-on for very long...if you catch my drift.  :-[ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here