News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HARD TO BELIEVE...  (Read 2327 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
HARD TO BELIEVE...
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:48:40 AM »
...but there it is! This is the scene in my back yard this AM.  Yes, in case you can't tell, that's snow! And more coming (sigh) (double sigh).
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: HARD TO BELIEVE...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
Not so hard to beleive when I see how far north  you live.  Down in the 40's this AM.  Predictions of frost on the flowers and such.  This is supposed to be April in Kansas.  Have fun DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »
...but there it is! This is the scene in my back yard this AM.  Yes, in case you can't tell, that's snow! And more coming (sigh) (double sigh).
Aw my favorite winter playground, Minnesota. I have seen it snow on May 30 in NE Mont. Seeing that is my birthday it was apropo considering my age which is another year older coming up. Now a Oregon Old Fart. HB~> HB~>

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
Not so hard to beleive when I see how far north  you live.  Down in the 40's this AM.  Predictions of frost on the flowers and such.  This is supposed to be April in Kansas.  Have fun DOC Holliday

We've had to run some A/C most afternoons the past week down here.  Yesterday when we waked up, the humidity was already so high, we had to start the AC running to dry the air out some. 

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
It is supposed to be 83* tomorrow. If experience is any indication, it will be warmer.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
MIAMI...I guess so! 

I'm sure I'd have heat stroke there.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »
Let's see, the average temperature of the Globe has fallen this year almost 1 degree Centigrade.  So are we back to the predictions that I remember of 30 years ago of "Global Cooling" and a potential or probable "Ice Age?"  Or does Mr. Sun have something to do with the natural cycles of temperature of the World?  Nah, couldn't be!  No way!
Tom McClain

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
MIAMI...I guess so! 

I'm sure I'd have heat stroke there.
I was born here and even I can't fly during mid summer. It "cools" down to 85* at night.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »
Well, I was born and raised in Oklahoma and like an idiot I used to fly all through the hottest part of summer, 105 +, but that was when I was young and stupid and didn't know any better...now I'm old and still stupid but at least I know better. Younger guys can just handle the heat better I guess.

I fly for fun, when it ain't fun I don't fly...too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, etc., I stay in.

High temp today was 41*.

My besement overfloweth with airplanes ready to fly.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
Let's see, the average temperature of the Globe has fallen this year almost 1 degree Centigrade.  So are we back to the predictions that I remember of 30 years ago of "Global Cooling" and a potential or probable "Ice Age?"  Or does Mr. Sun have something to do with the natural cycles of temperature of the World?  Nah, couldn't be!  No way!

EXACTLY I read NASA has been reporting a cool cycle for several years now.  Now that is an inconvenient truth for you know who!! HAHAHAHA

What a bunch of Nonsense!  HELLO!!  There is a Giant ball of fire that is only, ehhhh 8000-9000 degrees F on the surface about 93 million miles from here.  In space distance that is nothing.  easy to see how any up and downs in that dudes surface or any flareup from it occasional head aches are going to have for more effect than our cars...  So much money being made on pure fear... 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »
After what seems like a year of weekends with constant, endless, drenching rain, today was clear (mostly) and sunny. About 65 at 10 am when me and a few friends went out to the Tacoma Narrows Airport and got in some well deserved flying. The wind was mostly from the east south/east so it was coming over the hanger and pretty bumpy, but who cares? It was actually sunny. That big, yellow ball in the sky. Wow! A great time was had. Unfortunately, I had to cut the day short. Had to pick up the kid at college to do some stuff. Sigh... But hey, I got in some flights.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »
Global warming / global cooling.  When I was a kid we were being warned about a coming ice age.  Now that problem is solved and we're to fear rising temps. (maybe it's a coming beach age--could be that bikinis are more fun to think about than parkas)  NASA says there is a cooling trend.  Farmers and forresters see that a little extra carbon in the atmosphere means more corn or wheat to the acre and even hardwood growing back faster than we are using it (at least on managed tree farms were replanting is valued).  While I definitly believe in protecting our environment and being good stewards of our resources, I'm not sure real science has much to do with the attitudes or predictions of the "bunnie lovin, tree huggin, whale kissin, bong water garglin" crowd.

PS  I like bunnies, trees, and whales.  I just believe that a practical, balanced approach to environmental care is preferable to some of enviro-political extreemisms we see in some segments of society today.  Think about it, produce has been getting to market by truck, ship, and train for decades.  Some of the newer "organically" grown stuff rots so fast that it has to be flown to market in jets.  That means way more fuel used per pound of produce.  What does that do to the environment?  Why not just grow a garden in the back yard.  That's what my parents did.  That's what millions of people still do.

So much for the rant...

I've never been to Minnisota.  Is snow this time of year terribly unusual?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »
Minnesota in May of 75 woke up to an inch of snow on the ground at my sister-in-laws and her husbands place in Hinchley, Minnesota.  By noon it was all gone.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »

Yes, I remember reading those articles too. Seems we started into an ice-age cycle about 30K years ago, or something like that.

Perhaps the two will cancel each other and we'll be alright.  ;D

Rates right up there with folks who say, "If we don't change, we'll destroy the earth". Got news, we won't destroy the earth. It's been here for billions of years, and will be here for billions of years. IMHO, the most we can do is help ensure that PEOPLE can live on it.

George

George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 02:47:52 AM »

I've never been to Minnisota.  Is snow this time of year terribly unusual?

Actually it's not.  The local weathergirl "comforted" us by saying "It snows in May, folks, don't be surprised by this..."

I think the average snowfall here in April is 4" or something.

When I first moved here a guy at work was telling me "The only 2 months it's never snowed in MN are July and August."
Then a fellow-worker intervened and says, "Don't tell him that, that's not right...I remember it snowing in July once."

I really like it here, gives me something to complain about.

We're still seeing snowflakes in the air, but at least it's not sticking now.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here