blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:37:13 AM by Motorman »

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Green Head
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
I was told once a long time ago by Bill Wisnewski that K&B used a High temp insignia Green enamel specially formulated for them.  He told me what company did it for them but I cannot begin to remember.  I'm too old and it was too long ago!  I doubt they're around anymore anyway.

I think unless it was for a special situation I would just strip it and leave it that way.  Unless of course there are some K&B collectors that have the exact info!

Sounds like maybe it was run very hot in a cowling.  Maybe for speed!  I had one that I used in a slightly scaled down Dizzy Boy in the '50s...Not very competitive but I was a Junior and actually won a couple of low competitive contests with it in the Midwest....It definitely cooked the green paint to brown.  Eventually broke the crank on high nitro fuel!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
A hi-temp automotive engine enamel might work, MM.
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
I believe Randy is correct, but it now goes a little further. I'm not in the paint industry, but in my field all chemicals have lessoned in strength. I believe most off the shelf paints are not gonna hold up as well as that old stuff would have.
I would suggest the stuff used on alternator windings. But, the cost to do one head might be to high

http://www.glyptal.com/Glyptal_Product_Data_Sheets.htm

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »

Well MM, You can always pretend that you have an earlier '50s K&B .19;  they were

sold without any paint on the head... I built a quasi profile "A" speed trainer that

clocked 91 mph 60' X .015" lines in 1956. I used that Torp to power sport models,

a Graupner stunt model(called the Skorpion) and a few combat models. I finally

got a .35 Max-1 for competitive combat flying.

Tony  :)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Would powdercoating work in this situation?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:36:44 AM by Motorman »

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
The best color match I've seen is VHT high temp engine enamel. It is supposed to be good up to 550 degrees. I got it from Amazon. Will find out how good it is at retaining color this coming season. It's a great color match with a couple of new-in-box Torpedos.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
I have seen very many USED green Heads and never a New one... all of the well used ones, never did have a single particular Green color--- and I just assumed it was the various age and heat /castor cycles

I got two E-bay Torp combat .35s a year or three back for my nostalgia kick--- and immediately went in search for what type and exact color paint...

Got frustrated with the search and then I remembered.... LIKE I said up front... Green, once heated and castored never looks like whatever the Factory color WAS 

So I got John Deere Green engine paint and did my thing...MotorMan already knows how to prep the metal

I guess if I had one or more for a Museum display ...seeking out the perfect color match and type may be important...

But for a model to sport a TYPICAL well used Green head...
I suggest you find ANY high temp Green you like, or is cheap, or readily available, and then fly the model as you please and hang it for display so others can see the cool colored head

another tangent thought... I am accused of being color blind... BUT I perfectly see all colors...JUST NOT the damned numbers in the dot background test

BUT, I accept that I may not see the same shades of Red Green Blue all others see

BTW

I did the same with MY McCoy RED head engines... and I have some sort of Blue head something or other around here that will get a new color coat one of these days...

My wife, son, and grand kids are attracted to the painted heads...as better more cool looking and always ask about them ---long before even noticing any of the high zoot semi exotic engines....Thankfully cuz wife would have a cow even suspecting what one of them cost

BTW #2
I got a cool engine that was previously painted and after crock pot looked poor ---so I color matched with VHT Caliper paint... 35% nitro cleans that "Caliper" High Temp paint right off better than any other solvent..in my kit of stuff.
IMO VHT "Caliper"  is NOT Fuel proof at all

I am NOT arguing with Mr Lotz... I used the caliper paint NOT the VHT engine enamel

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
I have seen very many USED green Heads and never a New one... all of the well used ones, never did have a single particular Green color--- and I just assumed it was the various age and heat /castor cycles.

I believe my K&B .23 has not been run:

George

George Bain
AMA 23454

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
I believe my K&B .23 has not been run:

George

Looks just like my .29.........unrun! y1

Jerry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »
I have a geen head K&B .35 with K&B carb that I have been running on the bench.  Was thinking of selling it nut have decided to build a nostalgia carrier for it.  May take a picture of it later.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
Looks just like my .29.........unrun! y1

Jerry

Jerry, those pics were for Fred's benefit because the green had not been discolored from running. Is the green on your unrun .29 similar to mine?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »

Jerry, those pics were for Fred's benefit because the green had not been discolored from running. Is the green on your unrun .29 similar to mine?

George

I have several lightly used K&B Torpedo engines and the heads look almost the same color as that .23 above.  Most of my Torpedo engines in almost new condition are .29's.  My best one was a free flight engine many years ago, and as you know, free flight runs are just a matter of seconds which means very little heat buildup to change head color.    D>K     H^^

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »
From several years ago on this or perhaps the other forum the John Deere Engine green is the correct color. You may just get it from a ...John Deere dealer!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Well, I got the pictures taken.  As you can see it needs some tender care as it has not been cleaned up.  I have run it on the bench.  Been thinking of the Netzband Gaurdian that was published many years ago if I can find the plans.  The throttle was controlled by a spring loaded bell crank.   It worked even though it too both hands and a smaller cable in diameter for the throttle to work properly. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
Well MM, You can always pretend that you have an earlier '50s K&B .19;  they were sold without any paint on the head...

Tony  :) 

Well....if I remember correctly when K&B introduced the "Green Heads", they also switched to the four-bolt backplate on all except the .29. Apparently they had so many spare .29 crankcases they held off for awhile.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »

Well....if I remember correctly when K&B introduced the "Green Heads", they also switched to the four-bolt backplate on all except the .29. Apparently they had so many spare .29 crankcases they held off for awhile.

George

Hi George, K&B must have switched to the green coloring a bit after they produced the four bolt

crankcases.  My silver head K&B .19 had the four bolt crankcase; and the head never had the

green painted head. Too bad that Torp is long gone, so I cannot provide a serial number.

Speaking of silver heads, In 1958, I bought a brand new K&B .29R and used it to power a Spacer 600.

That K&B 29R only came with a silver head, not green.

Tony

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
Hi Tony!
I see a KB 29S for sale on RCG. Whats the diff between S and R?

Norm F

Hi George, K&B must have switched to the green coloring a bit after they produced the four bolt

crankcases.  My silver head K&B .19 had the four bolt crankcase; and the head never had the

green painted head. Too bad that Torp is long gone, so I cannot provide a serial number.

Speaking of silver heads, In 1958, I bought a brand new K&B .29R and used it to power a Spacer 600.

That K&B 29R only came with a silver head, not green.

Tony

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »
Hi Tony!
I see a KB 29S for sale on RCG. Whats the diff between S and R?

Norm F

I believe "S" for stunt and "R" is for racing. I had a .29R many years ago, and a friend of mine desperately wanted it so he traded me a new "S" for it. I still have it around here someplace. Might use it in a Frisky Pete OTS model.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
   I believe "S" for stunt and "R" is for racing. I had a .29R many years ago, and a friend of mine desperately wanted it so he traded me a new "S" for it. I still have it around here someplace. Might use it in a Frisky Pete OTS model.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Dan,

Bob Hunt has some great plans and build video for Frisky Pete. Note that engine bearers on original were set up for engines with mounting lugs raised 1/4", not on center line.

Great choice!

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
I did mine with some green engine paint from Pep Boys.

Later, I noticed that a local car repair shop will powder coat anything any color you want.  Maybe your local car repair place can do the same for you.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here