News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:16:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great article in May 2011 Flying Models, pages64-67  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Great article in May 2011 Flying Models, pages64-67
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Scott Richlen has an article in the latest FM on vacuum forming small parts for models.  D>K
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:10:50 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Great article in May 2011 Flying Models, pages64-67
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
I saw that!  It looks like a great idea.  I plan on using it whenever neccessary.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »
YES a very well done article by Scott.

Also a nice article on the Bill Skipper "Akro Bat" OTS design, by Allen Brickhaus & Watt Moore. Includes a nice story on Watt finding an old example and restoring it.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
   Some modelers do have some great talents when it comes to construction of stunt planes. There are lots of 'How to' articles on just how one person does these things. My thoughts are; "Why just tell us how you do it. Why not give us some purchasing information and you can manufacture these parts for us." Hmmmmm, then we might get into the old BOM thing. I personally enjoy scratch building from plans or just out of my thoughts. Little pieces like cowlings, canopies, and wheel pants, would be great to be able to order by mail.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »
   Some modelers do have some great talents when it comes to construction of stunt planes. There are lots of 'How to' articles on just how one person does these things. My thoughts are; "Why just tell us how you do it. Why not give us some purchasing information and you can manufacture these parts for us." Hmmmmm, then we might get into the old BOM thing. I personally enjoy scratch building from plans or just out of my thoughts. Little pieces like cowlings, canopies, and wheel pants, would be great to be able to order by mail.
I can't remember how many planes I've built that started off with a piece of paper and every part after that I cut out with an x-acto knife from clean planks and sheets of balsa....drawn with a ballpoint pen. The only parts I didn't build myself was the motor and fuel lines. Later, I started stealing wheels from my model cars, and even later, buying them and things like bell cranks and tanks from a small hobby shop. The whole BOM rule fiasco is fickle....nobody builds planes like that anymore. Tanks, wheels and pants, all hardware including canopies,  "ball jointed" pushrods...etc. and etc. are the rule of the day to have that "perfect" look! Why this whole bom flap is happening is a mystery to me. Seems counter productive to recruitment of the C/L hobby.  ???
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:31:55 AM »
P/S Bought one ARF in my life, a giant Nobler, that took longer than any model I ever built, and the wings were pre-covered. It also had a molded cowl. Never flown, still hanging from the ceiling. I doubt I'll ever do an ARF again, but if I do.....I'll take their M-cote off and put my own on. I wonder how they installed their where every time you might actually decide to fly it, you first hafta tighten the skin? ???
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
Guys:

Thanks for the compliments.  Using this technique you can make some pretty nice thin-wall moldings.  They just have to fit into the bag (but I think I found some 1 gallon sized bags)

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Scott

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Scott,
I just want to add my name to those thanking you for a great article.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here