News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good Reason For Periodic Inspecton for us newbies  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Good Reason For Periodic Inspecton for us newbies
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:52:13 PM »
Yesterday  my mentor suggested that I change line spacing on my handle.  This is a modified Sullivan handle. Look what I found. :o  Added Note: These broken strands were never apparent until I moved to a different set of eyelets.  I have since changed to the type of handle with adjustable eye bolts.

Phil
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:06:55 AM by PHIL COOPY »

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Good Reason For Periodic Inspecton for us newbies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
%^ %^ DOHH!!! %^ %^
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »
I was flying a couple of years ago and felt a bump like when the lines hit a bug.  At the same time the controls got a wee bit of bias: it took an tad more up to hold the airplane level.  The up leadout wire looked a little frayed.  I cut into the bellcrank and found the leadout wire holding on by two of the seven strands (first picture).  The second picture shows the new leadout.  Fortunately, I could get access through the pipe tunnel without making much of a mess. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 08:28:50 AM »
Howard,
Is that one of Windy'd bellcranks? I like the clevis type ends. I would like to see more details of that bellcrank.

AMA 7544

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Yes, it's the standard Walker mod to Windy's bellcrank.   I forgot how I cut the slot.  The leadout wire goes around an eyelet.  There's a 4-40 bolt through the eyelet.  Use a bolt with an unthreaded part through the eyelet, so the threads won't cut the eyelet and leadout.  Use a locking nut plus CA to keep the bolt in.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
Phil

You are absolutely correct about checking things.  But, it is not just an issue for newbies!!!  You want to insure that you are going to have consistent flights that don't end abruptly because of something overlooked.

Allen Brickhaus is one of the top stunt fliers in the country and one of the most consistent fliers I know.  Allen is also one of the most diligent about his pre-flight, flying and post-flight routine.

Develop the habit of carefully checking lines, connectors, handles, aircraft, mounting bolts including muffler bolts, fuel lines, props and anything else that will make the flight safer and predictable.

Full scale pilots don't do their pre-flight checklist and walk around for nothing!!!

Good point to bring up, Phil.  It will remind everyone to pre-flight your plane.

regards,
bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »
Things like this rarely give you any warning. Usually the first clue of a problem is a failure. You were very lucky.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
Coopy, you'll like the solid feel of a handle without cables, at least, once you get over the adjusting phase. It becomes very important to have a dedicated set of lines and handle for each airplane you own.

(edit) Regarding that clevis-ended carbon bellcrank of Howard's...Windy sells them like that, with leadouts attached, ready to install. I'll let you find out the price, but it's not as bad as you might think.

FWIW, Sullivan lists two CL handles. One is listed as a 1/2a handle, and that's the one you've been using...probably for bigger models than you shoulda....I used it for Foxberg Racing about 20 years ago.  :X  Steve

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFU24&P=7 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:35:38 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here