News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good question  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Marvin Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Good question
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
 While digging around in the junk barrel looking for Fox 59 parts, I ran across an item called "GO-Jet  manufactured by Kading Specialty CO.
  It is a replacement NVA that only goes halfway into the throat of the venturi.   The other hole for the standard NVA is plugged.  Has anyone ever used one of these?  There were  two sizes.  Blue color was foe 0.074 to 0.15 engines and the red one was for 0.19 to 0.60 engines.

This one I found is still new in the package.  HMMMM   Wonder where I got that one from???????

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Good question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »
 In the late fiftys, some combat fliers in Phoenix, used them to regulate pressure from the engine to the tank, when they used a pressuretap. I never understood how they worked, but they thought they did.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
The Go-Jet was a Speed flyers trick to enlarge the venturi throat area.  It needed to be used with a bladder or crankcase pressure system.

Assuming the engine started out with a normal "cross the throat" NVA and you didn't want to, or couldn't, bore out the venturi any more, the Go-Jet was a way to get a little more air.
Paul Smith

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
 I flew speed for a number of years, 9+, I'm not saying your wrong, but I never saw it used on a speed model, just on combat planes with a hard tank. I'm not sure how it could work in a bladder.

Walter 
walter menges

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
We used the Go-jet on some of our sport engines back in the 1950's, mostly on Torpedo Greenheads and sport aircraft such the Ringmaster, Sterling Mustang, Kenhi Wildcat, Reactor and so on.  As I remember,  they were not anything outstanding above and beyond the stock needle valve assembly, but they worked just fine.  I saw no special advantage in them, however, if you needed a needle valve assembly, they would fit the bill...........Terrence Durrill   H^^

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
That probably explains why it was in my junk barrel.  I flew both speed and combat in the early to mid 50s using crank case pressure.  I probably heard of some of the hotshots using them so I bought one to try and never tried it--- probably went to bladder pressure first.
  So, back into the dark dingy corner of the junk barrel it goes.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
That probably explains why it was in my junk barrel.  I flew both speed and combat in the early to mid 50s using crank case pressure.  I probably heard of some of the hotshots using them so I bought one to try and never tried it--- probably went to bladder pressure first.
  So, back into the dark dingy corner of the junk barrel it goes.

Bigiron

Can I come dig through your "junk" barrel Marvin?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
Randy,  very few people have ever gotten even a glance at my Junk Barrel and even less been given a guided tour through it.  I think I can safely say that NO ONE has been through it in its entirety--- not even my own son.  But, if you happened to show up, I will treat you to a great cup of coffee and give you a "short tour".
  Ty.  ---"Nostalga"---  Not a good name--- more fitting might be "Dissapointment Dungeon".
  Here of late, I have been slowly trying to get a somewhat accurate inventory of most of the stuff there. It is becoming an impossible job as there is some stuff that I absolutely have NO idea of what it is.
   Bigiron
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:33:58 PM by Marvin Denny »
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
Thanks Marvin, I kinda expected that answer. Hee Hee
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500