News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Clips  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Glow Clips
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
Hi Guys

Regarding glow plug clips, what are the pros and cons of a locking glow plug clip complete with a C or D battery versus a tweezer style glow plug clip

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Glow Clips
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »
I personally am afraid for the self contained with battery lock on type after seeing one vibrate off get hit by prop and embed the tube in the cheek of a fellow starting his engine.... trip to hospitol

I only use lock on clip with cable, in my case a RCATS version   seldom used now is the Tweezer clip on from power panel

BUT Tweezer style also have risk, mostly managing the cable .......IMO tweezer style needs to be good quality and secure.. sloppy use can blow it off and puncture the wing skin ....or get wires caught in control surfaces or prop

The typical yellow plastic ones are junk IMO

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
The best kind of glow plug clip is the one mbs model supply sells (ps when looking at it on there website the best way to find it is press the ordering button then select miscellaneous)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
I recall being very reluctant to use "glow ignitor" type, but have only had one snafu (or was it a fubar?) with it. Couldn't get it off the inverted engine and finally fumbled it into the APC propeller, thanks to arthritis, etc. Helper tried to shut off the piped engine by turning the plane nose-down, which didn't work due to the clunk tank. But it made it convenient to put a thumb over the end of the rubber ducky. Which worked quickly, at the expense of a blister on my thumb (per Money For Nothin', Dire Straits). The rubber ducky had been shortened, making pinching it closed not much of an option. Better idea to leave it full length.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Casey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
Thanks Guys

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
The type clip I use as it is easy to remove from engine with out touching it.   MBS Model Supply also sells these.

http://www.gpmd.com/imaget/s/tsulp2181.jpg
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
MY preferred is the more heavy duty Black versions
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Casey,
I have used the locking NiCad glow battery for over 20 years. This is the type that you push down and turn to secure it to the plug. I use the short length version. There is a wire version that I used for R/C on a power panel and still take to our December contest just in case we get into the 30's (the extra power, the 1.5 volts vs 1.2 NiCad, from the power panel give better starts in cooler weather). I fly OTS and have upright or profile engine mounts so removal is not an issue, even when I fly piped PA we stood up so there was no problem getting it off. I like to do a spinner flip start and can hold the plug driver since this method does not stress the fuse.

If you like the alligator  clip approach COX had a set up that held two "D" cells and the wires screwed on the ends. You might be able to find it on ebay.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
The best way to eliminate glow connector problems is just fly Old Time with ignition. LOL. Works for me. Now if my back would just cooperate.
Jim Kraft

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »

If you like the alligator  clip approach COX had a set up that held two "D" cells and the wires screwed on the ends. You might be able to find it on ebay.

Best,    DennisT

Both these places have that box with clip.

https://coxengines.ca/
http://www.exmodelengines.com/

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
MY preferred is the more heavy duty Black versions

These don't work very well with a fully cowlled in motor.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 01:59:45 AM »
It's not hard to make your own remote connectors.  I use these 2.5 mm banana plugs, with the sockets epoxied into the engine bearers (and nowhere near the propeller). The plug clip is bent up from some thin piano wire - much less bulky and obtrusive than the commercial ones. So far, this has worked 100% for me on a couple of different models, and I'd happily do it this way every time.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
That's a neat idea.   Gets the hand away from the prop.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here