News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Giant Scale getting a bit ridiculous!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Giant Scale getting a bit ridiculous!
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:53:57 AM »

Check out the biplane at 12:40.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Giant Scale getting a bit ridiculous!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
That bipe is as big as a full size Pitts Special. 

This video shows why I fly CL. It is amazing that more people aren't hurt.
AMA 7544

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
When it gets to the point where a model (airplane, boat or car) costs more than the real thing, I'll go with the real thing.

That full scale airport operator is a fool to have those monster scales flying over so many real airplanes.

I love the F-15 that couldn't lower the landing gear, then it worked AFTER the plane flipped over.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Yeah, it perturbs me when I see these guys with deep pockets trying to fly planes that have no reason to be flying other than to show they spent more time and money building and finishing than learning to fly.  I attended one of the scale classic qualifiers one year at the KCRC field in Missouri one.   Blew my mind on how many of the competitors didn't have full control of their air craft.  And the gentleman(using the term loosely) laughing and rolling around in the grass if he had taken a direct hit.   Now I know why I am letting the RC planes collect dust.   Not that I can't fly them as I saved a lot of other peoples planes when they were losing it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
As an avid R/Cer I agree with you regarding the size of some of these "models" .As far as I'm concerned when they get the size of that Biplane they are no longer models and could probably use a real pilot in the cockpit. It seems as if most of the "extremely" large "Giant Scale" birds come from Europe and other places whose regulations or lack there of allow this.
I started building a 100inch ws Bf109 many years ago.It's 90% complete but it's such a pain to move around and work on that I get frustrated and put it aside. Building it seemed like a great idea way back when,but is really impractical in reality. I'm hoping to get back on it one of these days.....PhillySkip

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
After watching all the carnage I think I might finish up my quarter scale Bucker Jungmeister I scratch built with a bell crank instead of servos. I would be lots of fun to shoot touch and goes with. It is small by todays standards, with only a 65" span. It has been covered with Sig Koverall and doped with about 10 coats of clear, for 10 years. Maybe I will finish it for fun.
Jim Kraft

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
Most of these are just bad pilots.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
I agree. To much airplane and no skill. I flew R/C pattern for 25 years, and learned the skills there, but scale planes are a whole nother thing.
Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
Let me know when Bucker is ready to fly.  When I was learning RC, the instructor kept emphasizing power.  Never enough power he would say.  When I had the Senior Cadet with 4 stroke poser is when I learned that the airplane must fly on the wings and what power you have.   Worked when a student had a plane that wouldn't run.  Checked every thing over including purging the fuel system.   Taxi out and line up with the run way.  advanced the throttle and down the run way it goes.   Got about 10 feet in the air and the engine suddenly went rich.  Don't know what I over looked but you could see the unburned fuel coming out the muffler and plane slowed.   I immediately leveled off and cleared the trees.   Nursed the plane around to make an emergency landing.   Taxied back and reset the engine.   No more problems the rest of the day.  Also even on the higher performance I would practice slow take offs like a real plane.  Only plane I had to walk after was one in which a battery went bad after take off.   Sick feeling when you have no control.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Foster

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »
Is this what they call R/C Combat? Just asking...

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »
Make sure your stabilizers are glued on properly....

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:59:49 AM »
I agree. To much airplane and no skill. I flew R/C pattern for 25 years, and learned the skills there, but scale planes are a whole nother thing.

I noticed this before I gave up flying with the local RC club.  People don't seem to understand that the closer they get to full scale, the more they have to fly like full scale.  Lots of guys think they can still yank and bank and expect the plane to fly like a .60 or .90 airplane.  The guys at the club would drop major bucks on a model, and then try to fly it like an Ugly Stick.

Mark

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 05:38:04 AM »

That Saab is is just way over the top.
Hard to imagine what would've happened if that thing crashed into a crowd.
Trouble is, people can't see that coming until it's too late.
Bob Z.

Make sure your stabilizers are glued on properly....

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
From what I could see the guy was doing a good job flying in a scale matter.   Looks like it was hit with something as the vertical fin came off.   You could see he was a little up set as I would be also. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Hello On the Saab jet, scary stuff!   :o
Looking at it carefully it appears to me that the rudder gave way first when giving hard left as it rolled .

We are not immune by flying control-line and it is all a good reminder to do the line pull tests and pre-flight checks to spot the faults that can be found.
Regards Gerald  :)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here