News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FW 190 Project Continued  (Read 16482 times)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: FW 190 Project Continued
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Fantastic work. You are an inspiration!!

R,

Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
The plane is now sporting primer.  I finished drawing the decals last week and received the paint masks this last week-end.  Next is about a weeks worth of sanding.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2020, 09:12:36 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone.  I sincerely hope this is the year that I finish this project.  It would help if I could quit crashing and having to go into emergency build mode just to have something to fly.  It seems that I cannot get ahead on the attrition curve.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the progress I have been able to squeeze in since my last post.  I have painted the bottom (sky gray) color some months ago.  I have now masked the plane in preparation to touch up some thin spots in the paint (pictures 1 and 2).  The weather forcast for the next 10 days looks favorable for painting.  Maybe I can get all the camouflage done.

Pictures 3, 4, and 5 show more work on the test wing panel.  I finished the color application, painted the insignia (crosses), added the ink lines, and applied some test decals.  I experienced some difficulty with the bottom surface cross.  When I removed the paint mask a part of the paint (inside corner of the upper right hand chevron) pealed off.  This may be due to the long period of time between painting the gray and painting the cross.  I think it was about two months.  I probably should have scuffed the gray before painting the cross.  I am now ready to apply the clear.  It is going to be real interesting to see how the test piece turns out. 

The final picture is the latest progress on the landing gear.  I have finished the simulated strut details and added the ink lines and decals.  They are ready for the clear.  I am waiting until I finish applying the clear to the test wing panel before proceeding.

Joe

Tom Vieira

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 05:56:06 AM »
very cool!

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
Looking good Mr. Joe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
Happy New Year to everyone.  I sincerely hope this is the year that I finish this project.
And so do we  LL~

Really looking good - ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
I have managed to get some masking and painting done on the top camouflage in between rain (humidity) delays.  The first picture is of the masked plane ready for the dark green.  It is hard to see my camo line templates on the left wing and stab.  I used both red and “clear” SeeTemp (spelling ?) for the templates and the clear does not show up well.  Picture 2 shows the overall view after applying the green.  I almost decided to leave the fuselage templates on the plane until after I painted the violet-gray.  I am very glad I didn’t.  I found a few runs under the fuse templates.  The paint (KlasKote) had only been on the plane about 2 hours so I tried gently rubbing with a Q-tip and thinner.  This worked very well.  The runs and some overspray cleaned up easily.  Much more so than if I had waited and the paint had hardened.  My painting technique still needs a lot of work and I have some disappointing blemishes, but its beginning to look like a FW 190-D.  Overall I am pleased with the results.  In the next day or so, I will wet sand the green and remask for the violet-gray.  The remaining pictures are three other views of the results.

Joe

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 10:03:35 PM »
Looking good!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Here are a couple of current pictures.  I spent 4 days with John Hill working on the paint.  With his coaching the camouflage and insignia are done.  I have a few spots I have to touch up ( if you look closely the spots of tape marking the touch up locations can be seen) and then I’ll start applying the ink lines.

Joe

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
Getting there!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Tom Vieira

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »
beautiful!

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »
Finally!  My van is back in the garage after two months.  Now, what in the world does that have to do with my FW 190 D project??????  Only this, the color coats, the ink lines and decals are all done!!!  I was finally able to put my collapsible paint tent away so the van can resume occupancy.  There are only two things left on the finish; the exhaust stains on the fuse sides and the clear coat.  I am slated to visit a friend this weekend (someone with a better paint room) for some coaching on doing both.  I'll post pictures in the next couple of days.
Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
   This thread was intended to be a construction show and tell.  It has been a rather long project (my first post was January 2017, but I actually first “put pencil to paper” in 2015).  The clear coat went on the plane in early March.  I believe it is now time to close the thread out.
   The plane flew for the first time today.  I put up 5 flights.  Didn’t do anything exciting, just round and round with a little up and down, but it flew.  Everything seems to be working well.  The engine (ROJett 61 Cast Case) started easily (inverted), we found a good prop to work with, and I found a good handle setting.  All in all it was a very successful day.  Now the real flight trim work begins.  If we have a Nats this year I plan to fly the plane there.
   Below are a couple of pictures from today’s efforts.  First is a picture after the first flight.  Next is a shot in the air.

Joe

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »
Good for you.  So the circles are open to flying?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »
Congratulations upon completing what has to be a labor of love.  It has been fun watching it evolve and the great discussions each time we got a glimpse of your progress.  I really wish I could have been there to see it.  It is stunning, now get it trimmed!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Tom Vieira

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
Well done!

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
Outstanding Joe, great job.
Joe Gilbert

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
Excellent Mr. Joe!!! I look forward to seeing it in the upcoming future contests of District 8!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline M. Scott

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
Nice pictures Joe.... Nice Plane, a Masterpiece
Mike

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
A few of us racing types were there as well. Joe's plane is a thing of beauty, and the traditional muffled 2-4 break is completely appropriate. The sound of a piped engine wouldn't be right for this one. Joe, here's wishing you hundreds of enjoyable flights!

(Crist, the field is always open if you know the lock combination, We (racers) have been out on 4-5 Sundays, and the "tricksters" go out during the week. There have been no problems experienced or mentioned.)

Bill Bischoff

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2020, 10:01:42 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX