News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FW 190 Project Continued  (Read 14114 times)

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FW 190 Project Continued
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
   Things got busy in mid February and slowed building progress down some.  In the last couple of weeks I have been able to get back to the important stuff.  Here are some additional pictures of progress on the FW project.

Fuse1 shows the tank compartment sides going into the nose.  In Fuse2 I am coating the tank compartment with surfacing resin to fuel proof it.  Fuse3; the tank compartment is complete and the “cheek supports” for the lower nose shell pieces are installed.  Fuse4 shows the four pieces for the tank compartment hatch (3/16 balsa sides and 1/16 ply fore and aft top pieces).  In Fuse5 I am starting to trim the fuse sides to accept the wing.  The fuse doublers (which you can see if you look closely) are laser cut with the wing profile.  Fuse6 shows my using wing rib 3 to aid the final trim of the fuse longeron.  Once I get the tank compartment and hatch construction completed and the remaining upper wing skins attached, I will set up the jig for assembling the wing to the fuse.

In Cowl1 I am applying a layer of 0.7 ounce glass cloth to the cowl body.  The cloth overlaps to either side of what will be the cutout for the cylinder head.  Cowl2 shows the laminated cowl nose spot glued to the cowl body for shaping.  Cowl3 shows the carved shape of the cowl nose.  I will pop the nose piece off the body and relieve the back until the nose is 3/16 inch thick. (Maybe thinner.)  I will then permanently glue the nose to the cowl body and add a layer of glass cloth.

Wing1 shows a couple of things.  First, although not obvious, you can see the lower aft wing skins are on the structure.  Second, the LG hatch covers are laminated and are being attached to the wing for shaping.  In Wing2 I am doing the final sanding of the covers.  Wing3 shows the final product.  Wing4 shows an “on the fly” modification I decided to make to the wing bottom center section at the leading edge.  I added a ramp that will line up with the exhaust tunnel under the tank compartment.  This will reduce the amount the header/muffler will have to be bent to clear the structure.  This is just one of a number of changes I will be incorporating in the next version of the laser cutting file.  Most all of these changes will correct minor nuisances and add construction improvements.  Wing5 shows the 1/8 lite ply ramp being added.

I mentioned in my February post in the original thread, that I was also building a profile Cavalier to serve as the means to “revive” my flying skills.  I think it would be foolish to begin flying again with the FW.  Anyway, the profile will be finished with Monokote wings and stab and Klasskote on the bulk of the fuselage.  I am using the Klasskote products because the white matches the Monokote Jet White plus I plan to use Klasskote on the FW and I need experience with the paint.  I applied the first coat of primer on Friday.  Cavalier1 shows the wheel pants.  The right is full primer and the left has been sanded ready for spot putty and the next coat of primer.  Cavalier2 shows the airframe.  I am following Brett Buck’s process that he described in 2006.  The only difference is that he used K&B primer and I am using the Klasskote primer.  This primer is working very well.  I am using a 1:1:1 mix and spraying with my Harbor Freight detail gun at 30 psi.  The mix goes on slightly thin so multiple passes are required for coverage, but I don’t think I will tinker with mix since it went on so well.  I tried sanding the primer after about 4 hours cure time.  I used regular 220 sandpaper.  The primer powdered very well and did not fill the grit on the sandpaper.  I am very happy with the way the material behaves.

Joe

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: FW 190 Project Continued
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Joe,

That is going to be a masterpiece!
AMA 7544

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Why did you start another thread?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Crist,

I don't have a good answer for why I started a new thread.  In hind sight I should have continued with the previous one.  Next time I will know better.

Anyway, more pictures.  I have completed the wing to the point where it must be mated with the fuselage.  I couldn’t resist the urge to do a dry fit of the subassemblies to see how the plane looks.  I have to admit that I am very pleased with the results to this point.

The pictures labeled DryFit1 and 2 are overall shots.  I think I can safely say that it is beginning to look like an FW 190.

I commented in a previous post in this thread that I used a wing rib to help trim the fuse sides to the wing profile.  This is in addition to the fact that the side doublers are laser cut with the wing profile.  I have been wondering how well this was going to work as far as getting a snug fit between the wing and fuse.  Picture DryFit3 is a close up of the fit.  This is the raw cut.  All I have done is trim the fuse sides to match the doublers and extended the trim cut through the longerons using the wing rib as a guide.  It appears that this method is going to work very well.

Picture Wing1 shows the attachment of the left (OK, port) side upper wing skin to the wing structure.  White glue has to be used for this and the weights, clamps, and masking tape are there to hold the skin down on the ribs, spar, and trailing edge while the glue dries.  This is the first wing I have built that has been fully sheeted.  I was somewhat surprised at how rigid the wing has become with all the skin sections attached.

I now have to remove the uprights on the wing jig and shorten them to hold the wing at the desired height for mating the wing to the fuse with the fuse in its jig.  After the uprights are reattached to the wing jig base the wing jig will be permanently attached cross-wise to the fuselage jig.  The mating surfaces on the fuselage sides can then be given their final trimming in preparation for gluing the joint.  This process will take me a while since it is necessary to maintain fairly close tolerances.  This is probably the most critical operation of the whole project.  It is certainly the most critical so far, to be followed by the seating of the stab to the fuselage.

Joe

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Looking Good .

I don't have a good answer for why I started a new thread.

This mayve been due to certain people changing the subject and going off on tangents . :##

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
Joe, I enjoy seeing how people do things while constructing a model.   Looking good so far. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
   No, these are not pictures of an FW190, but they are related to the project.  This is my profile Cavalier.  This plane will allow me to build up some air time before the 190 is ready to fly.  After a 5 year break in flying, I definitely did not want to begin again with the 190.  I had to get the Cavalier off the bench first, because the next construction steps on the FW will consume all available space.

The Cavalier is a Tom Morris kit and weighs 40 oz.  Power is an OS Max 35 S turning an RSM 10-6 prop.  The fuse and a short distance out on both the wing and stab are painted with Klasskote epoxy while the wing and stab are covered with Monokote.  The Klasskote color matches the Monokote perfectly.  Balsarite was brushed on over some of the Klasskote paint area on the wing and stab so the Monokote could be overlapped.  This is working well so far.  All trim (fuse, flying surfaces and wheel pants) was attached using the liquid Monokote solvent.  This, also, seems to be working well even over the Klasskote..

I have 12 flights on the plane so far, and it is performing very well.  After a 5 year break, the pilot needs a lot more work.

Now that my workbench is clear, I can return to the construction of the FW.  The next task is to assemble the wing and stab to the fuselage.  To accomplish this, the wing jig must be altered by reducing the heights of the jig’s uprights to the necessary dimension for seating the wing to the fuselage with the fuse in its jig.  This description is probably not very clear.  Future pictures will clarify this, or if you have access to Al Rabe’s Snaggletooth construction article, it describes this step quite well.  I am currently doing the calculations which define how much the uprights must be shortened to hold the wing at the correct height.  Hopefully, I will have the wing and stab assembly finished in the next week or 10 days.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
   Back to work on the FW!!

In my May 2 post I had finished the full sheeting of the wing.  I’ll pick up the most recent progress from there.  The first four pictures show the final wing construction steps prior to assembly to the fuse.  The entire wing is block sanded to remove imperfections in the sheeting (picture Wing1).  This is the last time it is possible to work with the wing by itself.  In pictures 2 and 3, the wing sheeting is trimmed at the trailing edge.   In picture 4, the small square of top sheeting, which was removed so the wing could be mounted upside down on the jig during assembly, is replaced.  At this point the wing will never be inverted on the jig again.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
        More progress.

In picture Jig4 I am scribing the cut line on one of the uprights.  Since I am trying to hold a 1/64 in tolerance, I used a knife blade to mark the line.  A pencil or pen line would be too thick.  Picture Jig5 shows the stack of the three uprights I had to cut.  The stack consists of the three uprights, 1/16 in ply spacers between the uprights, and double sided tape to hold it all together.  The spacers are required because of the 1/32 inch ply tube cradles at the top of each upright.  A 1/32 inch spacer must be attached to the bottom face of the stack where it will ride on the saw table, also due to the tube cradles.  I  ran the entire stack through my band saw (picture Jig6).  Yes, I did check the accuracy of the miter gage prior to making the final cut!

Prior to reassembly of the wing jig, the uprights are checked to verify the cutting process left the uprights the correct height and the glue surface square (picture Jig7).  Now the jig is reassembled (picture Jig8).  In pictures Jig9 and 10 I did a temporary setup with the fuselage jig to do one more dimensional check on the wing jig before I commit to the fuselage to wing assembly.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »
        Still more.

In pictures AsmblPrep1 through 5 I am doing the final preparatory steps prior to fitting the fuselage to the wing.  In picture 1 I am filling the gaps around the small square of upper wing skin that was replaced earlier.  I am using balsa filings made using coarse sand paper or a Permagrit file on balsa scrap.  Thin CA is used to bond the filings in the gaps (picture 2).  In picture 3 I have set the fuselage on the wing and am marking the joint line on the wing in preparation of applying glass cloth to the upper and lower wing center section.  The lines will assure that I use a wide enough piece of glass cloth to extend outside of the fuse to wing bond line.  Pictures 4 and 5 show the application of glass cloth to the wing upper center section using surfacing resin.  Once dry, the lower center section will be glassed.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
   It seems like I continue to discover pieces of the project that must/should be completed before assembling the wing to the fuse.  I decided that it would be appropriate to finish the tank hatch installation before attaching the wing.  However, before I can finish the hatch, I need to build the tank.  Therefore, here are some pictures of the tank construction.

The first picture is from Al Rabe’s Snaggletooth build document.  I chose to use his Mod 4 “clunkless” tank for the FW.  The second picture shows Al’s layout, my card stock mockup, and the layout transferred to the tin stock.  I did have to modify Al’s original layout to accommodate the KS tin stock I was using.  The tin stock was too narrow for the original layout.  I had to remove all of the front and rear soldering tabs and transfer them to the front and rear caps.  This is shown in picture 3.  My pencil is pointing to the only remaining tab, which is the side soldering tab.

The long bends in the tank were made with the 7” “Tank Bender” sold by Lee Machine Shop, picture 4.  The smaller bends for the “V” pickup area and the end cap side bends were made with either needle nose pliers or square nose pliers, pictures 5 and 6.  Once the main tank body seam was soldered the front end cap was mounted using masking tape so the positions of the tubing holes could be marked and drilled, picture 7.

I first mounted the overflow vent tube to the side of the tank.  I decided to do this before the front end cap was soldered in place.  This made it much easier to solder and clean the joint, rather than trying to reach the gun tip and solder in from the back of the tank, picture 8.  I pre-tinned around the tubing holes in the front cap before mounting the end cap, picture 9.  This allowed me to heat the tubing and cap from the front to solder the vent and pickup tubes to the inside of the front cap.  The front cap was then soldered and the fuel pickup and uniflow tubes added, pictures 10 and 11.

After the tank was given a thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner, the rear cap was soldered on, picture 12.  The tank was then leak tested using the typical method of pressurizing the tank and holding it under water.

Next, I will finish the construction of the tank hatch cover.  This should be the final task before assembling the wing to the fuse.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
   Life got in the way of building for a while, but now back at the workbench.  Attached are a few pictures of most current progress.

Assemb1 shows fitting the wing to the fuse.  In the jig, you want the fuse jig stands to bottom out such that the wing seat touches the wing surface without putting any pressure on the wing.  I used a flashlight to help me see where material needed to be removed to get a good fit.  After fitting, any gaps are filled with balsa shims.  Assemb2 shows the wing being glued to the fuse.  The weights are to assure that the fuselage jig stands remain bottomed out while the epoxy cures.  The weights do not apply any pressure to the wing surface.

Assemb3 shows the tail jig added to the assembly with the stab in place ready for attachment.  Assemb4 shows the fuse to fin transition block being fitted.  The block has been hollowed and is shaped nearly to the final shape.

The instrument panel has to be installed before the upper nose fuselage skins can be installed.  IP1 shows the process of marking the locations of the various instruments.  IP2 shows me grinding the instrument ports in the panel.  This technique was picked up from a Windy Urtnowski DVD on cockpit detailing.  Cutting holes with a knife or sharpened tube does not work well.  Grinding makes a nice clean hole, especially if you harden the ground edge with CA before the final size is reached.  The instrument faces are glued to a 1/64 ply backing and a piece of clear plastic from a report cover is sandwiched between the ply backing and balsa center ply to serve as the instrument face.  IP3 shows the panel ready for the painted 1/64 ply face.  The finished panel sandwich can be seen in next picture.

Picture CP1 shows the front of the cockpit area and the instrument panel.  CP2 shows the seat and rear cockpit area.  All the pieces are in the fitup stage at this point.  The balsa runners to each side of the seat are the supports for the right and left side panels.  The bulkhead behind the seat forms the forward support of the bullet shield.  These details are now in the works along with some switches and levers for the three instrument panels.

Joe

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »
Very Nice ,

Id slosh a bit of fuel around in the Tank , to stave of the ' oxidation ' ,
tho it dosnt look like thats a problem in your nice air con workshop .

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:07 PM »
Love the cockpit detail. Awesome work!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »
   Here is some more on the main instrument panel details.  The first five pics show materials and assembly of levers, pull handles and toggle switches.  The round ended levers are made from “eye-pins” found in one of the major craft stores.  The toggle switches consist of a flattened piece from a T pin and inserted at an angle through a #00 washer.  The controls are then coated with epoxy dyed an appropriate color.  I discovered these techniques from a cockpit detailing DVD by Windy Urtnowski.  Actually, making these controls has been kinda fun.

Picture 6 shows one of the eye-pin controls installed as the LG lever, and three of the T pin pull handles.  I have been working from cockpit documentation diagrams and pictures, but I don’t know what all of the actuators represent.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
   Here is a construction sequence for an auxiliary panel.  The nine holes in the bezel are for mounting 3 each red, yellow, and green jewels, again from one of the major craft stores.  The first picture shows both the auxiliary panel bezel and back cut from 1/32 ply.  I have painted both with a white primer to fill the surface.  The small slots to the right of the 3 x 3 matrix of holes are for mounting two of the black toggle switches.  These are holes drilled at an angle to match the angle of the toggles’ mounting pin.  The bezel is then painted with Tamiya German Grey, which is an equivalent to the German WWII RLM 75 color my documentation says was used in the FW cockpit.

The bezel and panel back are glued together and sanded to shape.  I used a sharpi pen to blacken the sanded edges.  The colored jewels are glued in with a small drop of epoxy (picture 4).  In picture 5 I have applied masking tape to mark the location of the auxiliary panel and it is CA’ed in place.  Picture 6 shows the result.  Adding the toggle switches had to wait until the aux panel was installed on the main panel so that the angled holes could be extended through the main panel.  The toggles are now inserted and fixed in place with a drop of thin CA.

Finally, all of the controls’ pins are trimmed on the back side of the main panel.  They are not trimmed flush, but have about a 1/8 in extension remaining.  This extension is roughed up gently with a small file and a drop of epoxy (JB Weld) is applied to keep the control from vibrating loose.   Picture 11 shows the final product.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »
My previous post (11 Sep) showed the development of the main instrument panel.  The FW 190 also has two side panels.  I have now completed the construction of these two panels and am installing them into the plane.

The first picture (CP1) shows the mock-up of the two side panels with the mock-up of the seat.  Picture 2 is a photograph of a FW cockpit and shows the detail of the rudder pedals.  Below the photograph is my rendition of the pedals cut from 1/64 ply.  In picture 3 I have covered the plywood pedals with some gray colored sand paper to get a different color and texture to simulate metal.  The pedals are glued to gussets of different lengths for mounting on the cockpit floor simulating rudder movement.  In picture CP4, I have permanently mounted the pedals.  Also shown in this picture is the bullet shield behind the seat.

The next picture (CP5) shows the completed side panels ready for mounting.  The picture also shows the completed joy-stick and seat mock-up.  The instruments, dials, and switches on the side panels are based on the same techniques I used for the main panel.  In the next picture (CP6) I am tack-gluing the left panel support skirt in position with CA.  In CP7 I am checking the fit of the panel to the skirt and fuselage side.  This is the last chance to get it right.  I then ran a full bead of medium CA down the ends and along the bottom of the skirt to make it permanent, picture CP8.

Pictures 9 and 10 show the finished products installed in the cockpit.

One of the most difficult parts of this entire project is making sure that I don’t seal off an area before I get all of the little ancillary details finished in that area.  As an example, I had to get all of the instrument panels and rudder pedals installed so I can mount the joy-stick.  Otherwise, the stick would have been in the way of mounting the panels and pedals.  The joy-stick has to be installed before the fuselage is closed up behind the wing.  This sequence of events is necessary so that I still have access to the bottom of the cockpit floor and can install the under-floor support for the joy-stick.  It needs to be very solidly mounted to survive the G forces.

The next task will be to complete the seat and harness.

Joe

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
Incredible!!!!!
AMA 7544

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
Joe That is FANTASTIC !!!!  Keep up the great work.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
I should have included these pictures in the previous post.  All I have posted to date have been details.  Here is the assembled state of the plane (sans flaps).

Joe

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
What does it weigh so far?  Do you have a target weight?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »
Joe,

Nice craftsmanship! Some of the best I've seen. H^^

Creativity with your cockpit detailing, a good thing.

Did you see my Mig-3 cockpit?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
No, I have not abandoned the project.  Sometimes life gets in the way.  Anyway, here are some pictures of my latest progress. I have been working on three areas; the flaps and Lucky boxes, the wing tips, and the cockpit.

The first four pictures show work on the flaps.  Because the flap hinge line has dihedral and is swept forward at the tips, I had to make a decision on how to handle the flap horn.  I finally chose to use Lucky boxes.  Picture Flap1 shows the construction of the Lucky box.  I used .032 G10 composite upper and lower surfaces over a 1/8 in medium balsa core (I’m using a 1/8 in flap horn).  The balsa core extends 1/8 in beyond the edges of the G10, and I grooved the flap to accept the extension.  The next picture show a test fit.  This joint must be snug.  Picture Flap3 shows the glue-up.  The sanding bar is used to maintain a straight hinge line on the flap sections and the Lucky boxes.  Everything is weighted down until the epoxy cures.  Picture Flap4 shows the post glue flaps.  The lower one shows the 1/8 in balsa filler piece that extends from the aft end of the Lucky box and the aft edge of the flap.  The top flap has the top and bottom recesses filled with balsa and has been rough sanded to shape.

Continued work on the cockpit detail included making the adjustment and latch fittings for the restraint belts.  All the fittings will be made from 1/32 in plywood, hardened with CA, and painted aluminum colored Acrylic paint.  Pictures Harness1 thru 3 shows the development of the shoulder belt adjustment bracket.  On the backside of the rectangular bracket I glued two plywood runners which “trap” the 3/16 in wide simulated belt strap, shown at the bottom of the picture.  The bracket blank is then sanded to the final size.  The final blank ready for painting is shown on the strap.

Picture Seat1 and 2 shows the painted seat and cushion test fit in the cockpit.  Also visible is the finished joy stick installed.  The installation of the joy stick is one of those gotcha stories.  After I had installed the wing on the fuselage, I realized that I should have put a reinforcement on the bottom of the cockpit floor to hold the joy stick securely.  Without the reinforcement, the stick would likely vibrate enough to shake it loose from the 3/32 in balsa floor.  It was quite an adventure fishing epoxy glue and the balsa reinforcement piece in and around the flap pushrod in the space between the cockpit floor and the top of the wing, AND in the correct location below the joy stick.  I finally managed it all and installed the stick with JB Weld.  I also managed to get a “blob” of JB Weld around the extension of the stick below the reinforcement.  I feel certain now that the stick will not come loose with time.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
The remaining parts that I have worked on in the last month are the wing tips.  I have not been satisfied with the hatches over the weight boxes I have used in the past, so I decided to go with a removable wing tip on the outboard wing.  No pictures of that at this time.  I have finished the inboard tip with the adjustable leadout guide.  This was another gotcha.  In the past, I have installed the leadout guide buried somewhat inside the tip.  Primarily, this was to permit clearance between the guide and the outside surface of the tip.  Picture Leadout1 shows this setup in the FW wing tip.  I then realized that, due to the wing dihedral, the leadouts were going to drag at the exit from the tip (Leadout2).  I decided to change the configuration to one that Tom Morris has used in his Cavalier kits.  This configuration uses the wing tip reinforcement as the body of the adjustable guide.  Picture Leadout3 shows the two pieces of 1/8 in Lite ply I retrofitted over the exit slot to provide the support for the slider mechanism.  Pictures Leadout4 and 5 show the inboard tip ready for attachment to the wing.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
Nice work.  Your picture are too low a resolution.  When I click on them and they are enlarged, the detail goes away and and the picture is "blurry".
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
And his work is so beautiful, we want to see it in more detail!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
Nice work.  Your picture are too low a resolution.  When I click on them and they are enlarged, the detail goes away and and the picture is "blurry".

Christ he has bigger pictures over on Stuka Stunt.   And I will repeat here, he has way more patience than I do. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
The detailing is amazing! Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
No, I haven’t shelved the FW project.  I had to rewing and repaint my Cavalier after the VSC so I could go to the Nats.  Another mishap after the Nats prompted a hurry up job on an SV-11 ARF so I could keep flying.  Now its back to the 190.

I have resumed with work on the tank compartment hatch.  It was recommended that I narrow the “tunnel” area of the hatch in order to increase the air flow next to the header-muffler for better cooling.  I added 3/8 in spacers between the two 3/32 in “side” panels on each side of the hatch.  The forward spacer was made wide enough to plumbing exits for breaking the muffler pressure line to the uniflow tube for fueling.  The third tube is connected to the overflow and is capped off for flight.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
   While waiting for glue to dry on the tank hatch, I have started work on the wing cuffs.  I generated an enlarged rib that attached next to the fuselage and extends from the airfoil high point to ½ in forward of the existing LE.  I added a span-wise brace at the nose to provide some support for the “launcher’s” fingers during launch.  I used file folder stock to generate a template for the cuff sheeting.  Now, I can glue up some balsa blanks for molding the cuff to shape and fit the sheeting in place.  That’s tomorrow’s task.

Joe

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
Fantastic project, and workmanship. I'm excited to see the end result.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
Nice work Joe.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
   Further work on my FW.  The first two pictures are of the tank hatch.  Picture 1 is the final product ready for mounting and match sanding to the fuselage.  Picture 2 is the fit-up before sanding with the engine and header/muffler in place.

The next four pictures are of further work on one of the wing cuffs.  Picture 1 shows the cuff blank still wrapped on the wing LE mold buck.  In picture 2, I am fitting the cuff template on the blank prior to marking the outline and cutting the blank to shape.  Pictures 3 and 4 shows the cuff installation bottom and top views.

The final two pictures show the left and right flap fillets and installation on the fuselage.

Joe

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »

Really enjoying this build, very impressive work. Why is the outboard flap fillet piece wider than the inboard?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »
That was not intentional.  It is one of those cases where you measure and measure and measure and everything is right.  Then you cut and attach the ancillary pieces (lucky boxes) and mount the flaps on the wing and find out the spaces are not equal.  I don't know what I did wrong, but that's the way it ended up.  Hopefully, next time I'll do it better.

Joe

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to open that one up for the peanut gallery.  :(

Wayne Willey

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »
   With the holidays, traveling, and weather, there hasn’t been any construction accomplished since before Thanksgiving.  However, I have managed to accomplish something on the project during this time.  I will be applying panel lines for the first time and I have been working on the layouts.  Attached are the layouts I have generated from 3-views.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:41 PM »
I'm finally on the last(?) leg of this journey.  The finishing resin seal coat is on and am now applying the base coats of nitrate..

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »
great work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
Joe, another journey is just beginning.... :)

BB

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
Final preparations before canopy installation.  Picture one shows the remaining framing painted on canopy.  Picture two shows newly painted areas that are outside of the cockpit but will be under the canopy when installed.  Picture three shows the pilot’s seat permanently installed.  This completes the installation of the remaining cockpit details.  Some final trimming of the canopy remains before it can be permanently attached.

Joe

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 09:51:21 AM »
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!  WOW!!!

Love it!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
That was not intentional.  It is one of those cases where you measure and measure and measure and everything is right.  Then you cut and attach the ancillary pieces (lucky boxes) and mount the flaps on the wing and find out the spaces are not equal.  I don't know what I did wrong, but that's the way it ended up.  Hopefully, next time I'll do it better.

Joe

Joe, That is simple enough to fix. Cut the long cuff off and add a piece to the flap. No one will know the difference and you can tell them that it was he camera angle! LOL!

Or you can cut off the short side flap and add a piece to the cuff. Whichever is easiest.
Good luck, Jerry

PS: Nice build.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 07:28:02 PM »
Formula 560 at work.  Sanded slight channel into fuselage skin at perimeter of canopy and taped canopy down onto a bead of formula 560.  Now waiting for glue to dry.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 10:15:36 PM »
Looks fantastic!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »
The final details prior to applying primer have been completed!

I took a page out of Doug Moon's book on landing gear (see his 16 August post in his 15 August 09 topic "All Up and Ready to Go").  This post describes how he dressed up the landing gear strut to look more realistic.  Picture LG1 shows my setup ready for glue.  Picture LG2 shows the finished product ready for primer.

Picture "Nose" shows the last two fuselage details prior to applying primer.  I have attached the super-charger air scoop and inset the painted exhaust manifolds I had 3D printed.  The plane will be painted and then the manifolds will be permanently attached.

Joe

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »

Very nice!  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
Looks good!  Love those gear!!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2019, 04:47:10 AM »
Excellent work Mr Joe!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Tom Vieira

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2019, 06:29:53 AM »
beautiful!  makes me want to start building a buck for mine!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here