News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fun In Rescue, CA  (Read 2609 times)

Offline bruce malm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fun In Rescue, CA
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
I finally got the grass growing pretty good and a few guys showed up to fly and do a little shooting. We still used carpet for take-off, but it was not really needed. I will be over seeding with a hybrid Bermuda shortly, so it will fill in even better and hopefully require less mowing and maintenance.
From L>R  Rick, his son Kevin, Tyler, and his father Brian. Brian has been taking the boys to local contests and one or more of the three always seem to place. they are great boys and if everyone raises their children like these the the USA has a great future.

Rick has not flown much so he got to practice power on landings with instruction from the guys.
Later we decided to add a little lead to the shooting range. Rick is a County Sheriff and made sure the boys knew correct firearm safety procedures. Everybody was able to try any of the weapons if they desired.
It was really a great day for me to finally be able to accommodate some flying buddies. I hope they and others will return soon. Will need a little more planning so they stay and barbecue afterwards.

PS. If anyone is interested, the homestead will be up for sale in the near future, as Teena and I will be retiring and moving East.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:02:15 PM by bruce malm »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Fun In Rescue, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »
Looks good, Bruce. At least you're field isn't under water like mine. And that actually looks like sunshine. I remember sunshine...vaguely.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »
Is that a Mobile Model Mover I see in the background? That's cool! 8)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:51:34 PM »
Whoa! Just used Mapquest to find Rescue. Turns out you're only about and hour or so away from me, so I'll be stopping by to use your field. ;D
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
Give me a call. I hardly leave the property on weekends.

Bruce   Cell #v (916) 257-7216

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:36:50 PM »
Will do! Thanks Bruce.

P.S.  Can I bring a friend?
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »
Clint,
Sure no problem. And if you have a pistol or rifle you would like to shoot, bring them along. I drink Olympia Beer but have some of the other varieties for guests, along with soda and bottled water.

You'll have to call so I can open the gate or give you the code.

Bruce

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
I'm surprised to see you still have an AR15 in CA. That was one of the reasons why I left.

Leonard
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »
Len,

Rick is a county Sheriff so he is allowed to have it with removable clips. You can still get one in CA, unless they have changed it again, but it must have a fixed 10 round magazine. I have a MINI 30 with removable clips I bought before the ban. That is also one of the reasons I will move to Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Missouri in the next 1>2 years.
I finally got a Taurus Raging Bull in 44mag for Christmas and Birthday this year. Taurus just brought it in recently and only in the 6.5" Stainless Steel version. They wouldn't bring it in a few years ago because Gov. Davis wanted them to re-certify all their guns at the same time. As it is now, you still can't get the 44m RB in 6.5" Blue, or the 8 3/8" SS or Blue as each one cost the gun manufacture $2000.00 or $3000.00 each and they have to supply 2 or 3 of each model and color for testing. How ridiculous is that??? I could have bought it in 454 Casall but I didn't want another caliber to reload and since I snapped my wrist a few years ago and the doctor really sc**ed it up, I don't think it would take the recoil. It hasn't helped my flying either.

Bruce

PS: All my firearms are legal in CA. and I will not allow any illegal weapons on my property for any reason. One friend wanted to bring up some full auto stuff and I said no as I don't want any problems.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »
Bruce!
Geee, we've come a long waaaaaaaaaaaay baby! Especially that last photo...is quite a keeper.
Compare how we've changed...huh? Scareeee' huh? Naaathat's life!
Great photos of your beautiful home and flying site! Thanks for sharing with us those photos.

(as far as the model airplane trailer goes...I just replaced the windshield of my wife's car...due to so many rock chips which are sooooooooooo horrific this time of year. I "cringed" a bit when  I saw that beautiful stunter facing foward in that unprotected trailer. I can only imagine what that model would look like after being pelted by a rock.  Years ago....I was pelted by a small rock while riding that old BSA Lightning of mine..RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF MY HELMET GLASSES. GADS! WHAT A HAMMER...THAT A SMALL ROCK THE SIZE OF A BUBBLE GUM BALL CAN DO TO YOUR EGO-N EYEBALLS! SH^

Don Shultz

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »
That hauler is just to get from the shop to my field. I use my F150 with a shell if I'm going outside my property.

I'm really going to try to make it to the NW contest in May and help Mike out with Carrier.Not sure if I'll be ready to embarrass myself in stunt. I'll see how much practice
I get in. Please let me know if you're coming down. I'm waiting to hear from Mike where he will be staying. I really want to meet a lot of the other guys I talk to on this site.

Bruce

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 01:17:45 PM »
Clint,
Sure no problem. And if you have a pistol or rifle you would like to shoot, bring them along. I drink Olympia Beer but have some of the other varieties for guests, along with soda and bottled water.

You'll have to call so I can open the gate or give you the code.

Bruce

Model Airplanes, Guns AND Beer? Sounds like an exciting liitle place there. Hmm..Let me check my CCW and see what it says about the beer part!!
Don Chandler

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »
Not use to all the abbreviations. CCW = ??????

Bruce

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
That's right Don, guns, airplanes and beer. The idea is to try to shoot down the model your buddy is flying while drinking a beer ;D. Don't worry though, you're too far north to see us!
Actually, I'm more of a diet Cherry Pepsi guy than a beer drinker.

BTW Don, you're NOT too far away to join us a the Oroville Airport.

-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »
 :)! :)!
Not use to all the abbreviations. CCW = ??????

Bruce

Calif Concealed Weapons Permit
Don Chandler

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
 :D  Clint-Now I r
That's right Don, guns, airplanes and beer. The idea is to try to shoot down the model your buddy is flying while drinking a beer ;D. Don't worry though, you're too far north to see us!
Actually, I'm more of a diet Cherry Pepsi guy than a beer drinker.

BTW Don, you're NOT too far away to join us a the Oroville Airport.

Clint-Now I remember. I met you through Tom Hagler and at WAM events. Didn't know anyone was still active in Oroville. Any tarmac available to test fly scale stuff? I have a grass circle that I keep groomed here on my own property complete with Carrier deck, but no asphault outside of Orland to fly on and it takes a special dispensation from the county, phone calls ect to get it done.

I do have a lot of old ammo that needs to be shot up too. We used to shoot out at the Bend just north of Red Bluff, but the BLM closed it down.
Don Chandler

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
I really feel stupid now!! I have often thought of getting a CCW but I try to stay out of town at night. Will probably pursue one after I move and have to review all the different state laws as Teena and I plan to travel a lot by motor home to lots of contests.

I guess my brain just wasn't in gear. One of those busy weeks. Hope to get home a little early today to get the field mowed for the weekend.

Give me a call if anybody wants to come by. Looks like another beautiful weekend.

Bruce mw~ mw~ mw~

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
Don, we fly off the asphalt in Oroville. Or the weeds, take your choice.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
Bruce,

Be sure to check packing.org before you get a CCW.

US gun laws are the most confusing hodgepodge of laws ever created, but this site does a good job of making sense of the mess.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 10:56:54 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I hear there's a bill in the US congress to make carry permits universal throughout the US and you wouldn't have to worry about
all the various restrictions. However, with the Libs in charge right now I 'm sure it won't get beyond committee or they'll find a way to turn it into a gun confiscation law and give everybody a cell phone that automatically dials 911 to make you feel safe from all the crooks, gangs, etc. that of course will attack you only with a banana,spoon, or something less life threatening.

Bruce     S?P S?P S?P

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 11:52:21 PM »
Bruce,

Don't they already have 911 cell phones?

I'd love to see that universal CCW bill pass, but it's not likely until all the states approve concealed carry.

Traveling gets a bit interesting, as I plan my routes based on which states recognize my OR, and soon to be WA permit. Too old to fight, or run away!  ;D

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
Is this town next to Shark Ca? Is that the reason for the six shooter. We could use one here in Delta Park so we can shoot down the hawks and Canadian Geese as they attact our stunt planes.

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 10:31:35 AM »
Rescue is about 35 miles East of Sacramento, out highway 50 towards Lake Tahoe. I haven't had to shoot at any birds attacking the airplanes, but I have been known to use a shotgun to clear mistletoe out of the oak trees.

We had another great flying day on Saturday. Brian, Gordon and my old friend from the Red Barons, John Sorenson came up. He brought up an old Fox powered Nobler and an electric 3d and an electric helicopter. John and I use to fly combat, with my airplanes, at the Barons RC field just to wake people up and put on a show. He helped start the Barons back in the 60's and now the club is going down hill because of new management.
He enjoyed it so much he said he would come back weekend after next. Sorry, no pictures.

Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here