News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel:places to buy  (Read 3577 times)

Offline mike mullis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Fuel:places to buy
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »
was wondering wheres the place to get fuel ,you know the stuff for the old foxes amd redheads..5 or 10% with all the castor that they need......went to the only hs here and ask about fuel for cl stunt engines and they looked at me like i was crazy(maybe i am justa little)...anyhow i wanted to know where everybody orders theirs from and about shipping cost etc...tia... H^^Mike
Mike Mullis        LaVergne,Tennessee

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
Re: Fuel:places to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
Where are you located?  If near Dallas for example Mike Hobby Shot typically has some (but was out recently).  You could also spike something like Omega with Castor which you can purchase from many sources such as SIG or Tower.

BTW, ordering online gets expensive after paying shipping and Hazmat fees but folks like Fox and SIG sell online.  I'm sure others do too but I can't recall who at the moment.
AMA 759448

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
I had that problem too, so now I just order castor from Tower or a motorcycle shop and add it to Omega which is 17% lube to get it up to 28% for Foxes and McCoys.  It takes about 19oz of castor to get a gallon of Omega up to 28-29%.

Phil

Offline mike mullis

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:47:56 PM »
i think thats what they had here at the lhs...omega....seems like the nitro % was ouuta the world though...bout all the deal with there is helicopters and BIG rc planes...i was just thinkin about tryin to get some that i aint got to spike with castor and whatnot...i'm in lavergne tn wich is just outside nashville...we got a hobby lobby bout 6o miles from wher i am but work schedule dont allow me to get there when there open to see what they got...and of course hobbytown usa....whatta joke....this one here in town anyhow........the closest one to me is where i checked...its called PAC Hobbies....been try to get a hold of Marshall Busby...supposedly he lives down the street from me....charlie pate gave me that info...he said he would put me where i need to be!!!  lol....i guess time will tell........Mike

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:40:54 PM »
SIG has dealers in your area.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig

They should be able to get you sig fuel that you would need.  They will get it if you ask nicely.
Sig also sells castor, so you can add some to get the castor up to where you need it. 
Motorcycle and go-kart shops sell castor oil from klotz. 

Also there are a lot of other fliers in that area. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline mike mullis

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »
hate to buy it 4 gals at a time........money is tight!!!!!   lol   gonna wait and see what marshall has to say about it

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Hi Mike. Randy Ritch can mix whatever you want. Find someone to go in with you on a case, he'll mix and match what you need.He's in Houston, so shipping shouldn't be that much to Tn.

http://www.ritchsbrew.com/pricing.html
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »
was wondering wheres the place to get fuel ,you know the stuff for the old foxes amd redheads..5 or 10% with all the castor that they need......went to the only hs here and ask about fuel for cl stunt engines and they looked at me like i was crazy(maybe i am justa little)...anyhow i wanted to know where everybody orders theirs from and about shipping cost etc...tia... H^^Mike

Try Brodaks, his fuel is sold in quarts
http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?CategoryID=211
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »
Sent ya a private message H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
Picked up a case of fuel from Mark Smith at Excaliber Fuels yesterday at the field.  He states he can ship fuel usually UPS without the HazMat charges.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
Mike is right about Randy Rich - I've used nothing but his fuel since 1991!  Custom mixed at no extra charge.  Of course, I have Randy bring my yearly supply to the Toledo Show with him and avoid the shipping cost!  But his stuff is worth whatever it costs.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
I used Ritch's Brew when I lived in MO.

I use Excaliber and Sig since moving out west. These are top mixes with the best ingredients and mixed by volume instead of weight (a cheap way out).

If one buys a gallon of other brands 20% nitro that advertises 18% oil, add about 14 oz of oil and that should be about 25% oil and the nitro should be around 10% because if they aren't Sig, Excaliber and from what I understand, Ritch's Brew, the oil and nitro are figured by weight, about 4% less than by volume, and weight isn't what liquid is supposed to be measured by, and we generally don't consider it that way either.

That 30% heli stuff works pretty well at getting some power out of a McCoy, Torp or Fox just so you add a ton of castor to the fuel. 18% on any commercial R/C fuel is really 14% by volume.

Chris...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Picked up a case of fuel from Mark Smith at Excaliber Fuels yesterday at the field.  He states he can ship fuel usually UPS without the HazMat charges.  DOC Holliday

He's either shipping quarts or isn't reporting to the shipper what he is shipping.. This is a federal offence as I found out almost the hard way (I got lucky). The purchaser might be safe but I would sure make sure before receiving a shipment..

Offline mike mullis

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
what i'm really looking for is fuel that is ready to run strait outta da jug!!  lol25-28%all castor and 5-10%nitro....i'm just gettin back into this sport.....i really dont wanna have to deal with takin this much out...puttin this much in..etc etc etc..lol....semse i got nack into this sport..mind you i'm still on the buildin board.....i have aquired a dozen or so fox 35's.a few red heads..a few enya35/19's etc.....i just fly for fun...a loop here and a wingover there...you know...be a whole lot more fun to me if i aint gotta go through 10 tons of ---- just to get fuel that i can run...hope i aint whinin to much!!!   lol...thanks to all of yall for ya replys...Mike

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Just have your local hobby shop order fuel from Sig. They have 5 and 10% nitro with 25% all castor. I don't know of any hobby shops that don't deal with Sig, so if they say they can't get it there full of S%&*.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Charlie Pate

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
i think thats what they had here at the lhs...omega....seems like the nitro % was ouuta the world though...bout all the deal with there is helicopters and BIG rc planes...i was just thinkin about tryin to get some that i aint got to spike with castor and whatnot...i'm in lavergne tn wich is just outside nashville...we got a hobby lobby bout 6o miles from wher i am but work schedule dont allow me to get there when there open to see what they got...and of course hobbytown usa....whatta joke....this one here in town anyhow........the closest one to me is where i checked...its called PAC Hobbies....been try to get a hold of Marshall Busby...supposedly he lives down the street from me....charlie pate gave me that info...he said he would put me where i need to be!!!  lol....i guess time will tell........Mike
Mike , Mike ! contact Marshall Busby. he usually is home on fri and mon. evenings. Leave him a message.
I told him to expect a call from you.He can help you with Exactly  what you need.
If you don,t get any where, let me know and  I,ll help. If you don,t visit Marshall ;shame on you! Its like a 60s hobby shop with todays, stuff too. Its totally to your advantage to hook up with him;really
I am neck deep in my grandsons, quarter midget program as well as safety director. If you can,t get with marshall
e mail me and I have the fuel you need for fox 35 to Pa40 to ds 60 ,st46 ect.,,But Busby hasEVERYHING YOUNEED and lives in  lavergne   D>K D>K

Offline mike mullis

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
hey Charlie...i reckon i'm gonna give him a call tomm...would have before now just kinda dont feel right callin somebody right outta the blue thing...you know...lol...but if you told him to be expectin a call...then i'm sure gonna call him tomm.....thanks so much Charlie for ya help....Mike

Offline Alex Givan

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
   Two days ago I ordered a case of fuel from Fox. Gave them a call and gave them my c.c. number and said they would ship it out on the 17th. Mix and matched the case, 2 gals Super fuel 5% nitro/29% Castor, and 2 gals Dukes blend at 10% nitro/20% castor. Free shipping but had to pay $20.00 Hazmat fee. This is the stuff Fox calls for and will be nice and oily for the McCoy's.

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:04:52 AM »
Mike, Either give me a call or come by and visit I don't have any 28%-29% but I can sure mix it.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
I thought I would add,
The best runs I have ever gotten from a Fox is with the fuel recommended by Larry Foster for his L&J Fox 35's. Excaliber mixed the fuel up, it's 15% nitro, 25 % castor and 3% Klotz. This stuff worked like a charm. Good, steady runs, reliable breaks and good starts. I used three Fox 35's from various drawers and flight box cubby holes that hadn't run in years. I used these with Michael, my 12 year old, in his Primary Force and they all ran the same even though one was way more powerful than the other due to it being New Old Stock (no muffler lugs, how old? I have no idea). It was using another new-to-me innovation, a super simple clunk tank on ram air uniflow with vents as described in the Primary Force assembly book, that provided the fuel to these Fox 35's.
I put this out as another avenue to running the old Fox that for, made it a viable Stunt engine for smaller models.

Chris... 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
Mark at Excaliber Fuels says he can ship with no Hazmat fees.  I think Eric at RSM Distribution says the same.  If I remember right it is something about "ORDM" being written on the box.  Too bad he is not in the Vendors Corner of this forum.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
Mark at Excaliber Fuels says he can ship with no Hazmat fees.  I think Eric at RSM Distribution says the same.  If I remember right it is something about "ORDM" being written on the box.  Too bad he is not in the Vendors Corner of this forum.  DOC Holliday
Somebody needs to be.....I'm needing fuel all the time, and there's dang nearly noplace to get good castor-based fuel in Arkansas....if there is, it'll take half a day to get there and another half to get home.
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline mike mullis

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:43:09 AM »
Mike, Either give me a call or come by and visit I don't have any 28%-29% but I can sure mix it.
Busby
   thanks Marshall....will try to get with you this weekend if thats ok....work is really hectic right at this time.....but you will be hearing from me....thanks a million..Mike

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
I've taken to mixing my own. I buy 5 gallons of methanol at a time from a local racing auto parts store, Castor a gallon at a time and Klotz a quart at a time from Sig. Using a 250ml graduated cyllinder, I mix a litre at a time. I found 3 quarts of nitro at an R/C club flea market, so I have some nitro, hopefully enough to last until the nitro comes back on the market.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here