News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fuel line  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Don Kirmess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
fuel line
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:16:18 PM »
Just wondering what you "pro's" are using for fuel line? Silicone,neoprene? I've had some bad luck with a certian brand that would develove pin holes after only a few flights. I would like to buy more that 2 feet at a time but don't want to get stuck paying for a 50 foot roll of swiss cheese. VD~
 Are there any brands that are more durable/dependable that others?

Don Kirmess

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: fuel line
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:52:52 PM »
Just wondering what you "pro's" are using for fuel line? Silicone,neoprene? I've had some bad luck with a certian brand that would develove pin holes after only a few flights. I would like to buy more that 2 feet at a time but don't want to get stuck paying for a 50 foot roll of swiss cheese. VD~
 Are there any brands that are more durable/dependable that others?

Don Kirmess

Don, I've used Aerotrend blueline  for a lot of years with very little in the way of problems with it. Granted that Silicon tubing is not as tough as the old clear plastic that we used a lifetime ago, you could however use Tygon or Noeprene with satisfactory results. The stuff that many people seem to have trouble with are the colored tubing[rec,green.yellow. orange,] that you see in the hobby shop usually at the car section. This stuff will split fairly easily and while I use it , I take special care to not pull on it.
Dennis

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »
  I use the medium size Prather pink tubing and have never had a failure using it.  I have had many pinhole leaks with the blue line stuff, but only with pressure systems.  I wish we could still get the old K & B  Black neoprene medium size.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
 Gotta go with Marvin, use the pink stuff, lasts a long time.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Don Kirmess

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
  Both Aerotrend and Prather are listed as discontinued on the Tower web site. I'll have to look elsewhere and see if anybody else handles it. As always , if there's somethuing good being manufactured it will be discontinued. :X

Don Kirmess

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
Don;

I have been in touch with Marvin by phone and email about the "Black Fuel Line" .  It seems that this place has some that looks identical to the old stuff:

http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airplane_Accessories/hays_products.htm

Please keep in mind that neither of us has tried it yet but we are going to. It is just another avenue for you?

"Billy G"    :o :o :o
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
I've been disappointed (to say the least) with the DuBro black "neoprene".   The useful life seems to be measured in weeks.  

The stuff Marvin alludes to was good for years.

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Phil;

We posted at the same time.  Look at the link that I left, I sure hope this is the same stuff we used to use?

"Billy G"   y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
I've been disappointed (to say the least) with the DuBro black "neoprene".   The useful life seems to be measured in weeks.  

The stuff Marvin alludes to was good for years.

Marvin might be remembering the stuff that Phil Kraft used to use with his tanks. Probably the best stuff I ever used. It looked like neoprene but was called buena n [Spelling}. At any rate I have some of that stuff and I think that is really has an indefinite lifespan.  I was flexible but really hard to put a crimp in the line.It still works 20 years after I bought it and doesn't get hard or brittle. However I haven't gone looking for any more in quite awhile
Dennis

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
Probably the best stuff I ever used. It looked like neoprene but was called buena n [Spelling}. Dennis

McMaster Carr has about any thing you could want. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and it is first quality. Fast shipping and no "rip off" on postage or handling. Here is the specs on the buna nitrile that I think you are talking about. Cost 1-49 feet  44cents per foot. Cost 37 cents 50 foot or more . Very easy to navigate website. Do Google search and it should be the first thing that comes up.

Type Oil-Resistant Black Buna-N Rubber Tubing
Rubber Buna-N (Nitrile)
Material Buna-N (Nitrile)
Shape Single Line
System of Measurement Inch
Inside Dia. 1/8" (.125")
Reinforcement Unreinforced
Opaque Black
Color Opaque Black
Maximum Pressure Range, psi Not Rated
Low Temperature Range -99º to -1º F
High Temperature Range +201º to +300º F
Operating Temperature Range -20º to +212º F
Bend Radius Not Rated
Durometer Range 51A-70A (Soft)
Durometer (Soft) 60A
Durometer 60A (Soft)
Fittings Used Barbed and Compression
Specifications Met American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
ASTM Specification ASTM D2000 BG 615

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »
Keith,
is this what you use for fuel line?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »
Keith,
is this what you use for fuel line?

No, I have never used it.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 11:48:26 PM »
Don,
Central Hobbies carries both of these. I use the Prather Pink for fuel feed and the Aerotrend Blue for pressure lines. With a little luck, the color-coding will help me avoid a few misteaks (sic).

Both Aerotrend and Prather are listed as discontinued on the Tower web site. I'll have to look elsewhere and see if anybody else handles it. As always , if there's somethuing good being manufactured it will be discontinued. :X

Don Kirmess
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »
The Core House has neoprene fuel line,  1/16 in. id, 3/16in. od.  Lasts a long time, and is soft enough(after it soaks up some castor from the fuel) for fairly easy pinching, if needed.  It never develops pinholes, although you can tear it with rough ends on the tank tubing.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here