News:

• May 16, 2024, 11:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frustrated with all the BOM BS, try Carrier  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Frustrated with all the BOM BS, try Carrier
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:07:37 AM »
If your like me and frustrated with all the BOM BS in stunt might want to look at Carrier as a pleasant break. The airplanes are not hard to build and actually fun especially if you like tinkering with mechanical doohickeys. Flying isn't anymore demanding physically than stunt so us old guys can compete without having heart attacks. Carrier has two entry level classes, Sportsman profile and 15 profile that can be flown with inexpensive engines and Joe Just is ramroding a Postal Carrier event that can be flown with any profile as long as it has a throttle.

Drop down to the carrier section and have a look around. I have sure had a ball designing and building the 36 and 15 size FJ-4 Furies. The big one is really too big to be really competitive but it sure is fun to fly. And no you don't really need to build a carrier deck, it is pretty easy to lay out a deck on grass or even pavement to practice on. We are going to use our cement take-off pad for a deck with arresting gear supports on each side. No reason the same couldn't be done on a grass circle.

Oh and NO BOM Rule........

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Frustrated with all the BOM BS, try Carrier
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:12:47 AM »
No BOM and not many entry's
AMA 12366

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
Not many ARFs either, or are there?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:27:28 AM »
Not many ARFs either, or are there?

Couldn't tell you who built what but I can say this with certainty. All the NON BOM classes have decreased in size. Use to be a lot of Combat ( I know that rule changes effected it )(if it ain't broke don't fix it),Carrier,speed these events have almost left us as compaired to Stunt. But heck that is the answer instead of trying to circumvent the exesting rules try another class that does not have the rules you despise.

As a mechanic I see this all the time the end user will fix it till its broke (usually for good and high a dollar fix).
AMA 12366

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »
I don't actually mind BOM. What bothers me about it is the BOM rule which is open to interpretation. And causes heated "discussions".

You interpret it one way that is absolutely correct in your mind, and I see lots of holes in it that are just causing tension. Fortunately for me, I am not affected by the BOM rule in any way. It just pains me to see a rule that tries to say something but isn't clear enough about it.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
I don't actually mind BOM. What bothers me about it is the BOM rule which is open to interpretation. And causes heated "discussions".

You interpret it one way that is absolutely correct in your mind, and I see lots of holes in it that are just causing tension. Fortunately for me, I am not affected by the BOM rule in any way. It just pains me to see a rule that tries to say something but isn't clear enough about it.

Hows this . Use anything you want to make it, but you must build your own model.
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:49 AM »
No BOM and not many entry's

At least the airplane you have been flying at the NATS for the last several years won't all the sudden become illegal because someone decided to change the rules outside the normal rules change cycle.

I didn't start this thread to make it another BOM - !BOM thread we have enough of those already. I started it to promote an event that I have had allot of fun with over the last year. I doubt many visit the Carrier section and may be missing out on an event that they would enjoy.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
To equate the decline in the non-stunt events to the LACK of a BOM rules is just plain nonsense!

To quote Bob Reeves: "Flying isn't anymore demanding physically than stunt so us old guys can compete without having heart attacks."

When you can't do the "...more demanding" events, you can still fly stunt!

And THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! At least folks will still be on the field having FUN! And isn't that what it's all about? Or is it bickering and hidden agendas and ......  HB~>

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
At least the airplane you have been flying at the NATS for the last several years won't all the sudden become illegal because someone decided to change the rules outside the normal rules change cycle.

I didn't start this thread to make it another BOM - !BOM thread we have enough of those already. I started it to promote an event that I have had allot of fun with over the last year. I doubt many visit the Carrier section and may be missing out on an event that they would enjoy.

Hey at lest with this year you got 3 months notice, not like we did in 05 when it was dropped on us under the pavilion the day before the NATS started.
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »
The 05 ruling didn't exclude any airplanes so nobody was disappointed except maybe those that got beat by someone flying a prebuilt wing or an ARC.

You have successfully roped me into this BOM BS again and I was trying really hard to stay out of it. I'm done, sorry I mentioned it in the initial post....

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Bob, I think you roped yourself into the BOM BS just from the title of this post. Change it to "Frustrated with stunt...try Carrier" and it'll be a good post. Like you  I mainly fly stunt but find there is nothing like slamming, I mean landing on a carrier deck for 100 pts to make up for the angst I feel when my 40 pt stunt touchdown turns into an 18 pt embarrassment because of a few crow hops...ouch! Also, most carrier event directors are flexible when it comes to putting in an official so carrier flights can usually be worked around official stunt flights. A fun event. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
Ya Pete you are probably right, I asked for it, at least the other carrier thread may stay on track..  HB~>

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
The Norfolk aeromodelers flew carrier till the Navy stole their carrier deck....!
Steve

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
Don't understand alot of this BOM debate, too political and petty for me.

Bob, we need to contact some Dallas guys and invite them up for a Cookout/ Carrier seminar/ Fun fly. I think Carrier has a nice following south of the Red River.

Still puttering on my Corsair, all the Engineering is complete. Looking for some sign lettering paint. Hobby Lobby?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
Amen to the original post. Shame people couldn't resist polluting this thread with politics.

We don't fly carrier here in NZ, but we do profile scale and the scale guys don't mind a bit of tailhook action. I'm slowly building a 40" profile Sea Fury of my own design to be powered by an HP40-F. Still not sure on colours at this stage, but one of the Australian Sea Fury schemes is a leading contender.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
What put me off on carrier is having to drive for an hour and a half to have someone to fly with.   Not only that,  how many kits do we have for carrier in the scale classes.   The thought also hit me,  it is so much easier flying solo with a stunt/sport plane than a full blown carrier using a stooge.  Even profile.   So Bob if you ever have a carrier get together, don't forget the old DOC.   First time carrier was flown in Topeka, the deck was laid out on the old circle.  We even took turns flying each others planes.  Now you have to remember that carrier flyers are walking on water most of the time.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
Now you have to remember that carrier flyers are walking on water most of the time.   D>K

Excellent Doc!

Usta be Carrier was by FAR the largest event at local meets, always the last to be finished.  Along with all the dedicated Carrier flyers it seemed EVERYVODY had a carrier plane for a second event.  I would love to see it get there again some day.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Bob, those Furies are so cool!  You did a great job on them, I wish I could see them fly.  Are you taking them to Brodaks?
Steve

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
What put me off on carrier is having to drive for an hour and a half to have someone to fly with.   Not only that,  how many kits do we have for carrier in the scale classes.   The thought also hit me,  it is so much easier flying solo with a stunt/sport plane than a full blown carrier using a stooge.  Even profile.   So Bob if you ever have a carrier get together, don't forget the old DOC.   First time carrier was flown in Topeka, the deck was laid out on the old circle.  We even took turns flying each others planes.  Now you have to remember that carrier flyers are walking on water most of the time.   D>K

July 4th weekend Tulsa is planning on holding a postal carrier event. More details later...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
Bob, those Furies are so cool!  You did a great job on them, I wish I could see them fly.  Are you taking them to Brodaks?

Thanks, Unless something happens, we should have 4 FJ4's at Brodaks, the big one, two 15 size that will fly carrier and one with no carrier hardware and CL engine just for fun.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
Bob,

Those planes are really cool!!!  Like Steve said you did a killer job on those bad boys!

I want to try it sometime.  I tried Bill Bischoff's skyray carrier once and I broke the prop pretty early into it.  It was fun and I want to try it again sometime.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
Whether you like the "hanging" or not, Carrier is a very challenging event. I almost got into carrier some time ago, but decided that to be good at it would take away from my big love of stunt. Nostalgia and  .15 carrier are both interesting.

I hope that Carrier will again attract people.

I just completed work for Bill Bischoff and have developed laser cut ribs and spars for both his profile and full bodied Zero. I am sure that you will hear more about this from Bill, very soon.

Another event that used to have heavy participation is Scale. Hopefully,events like Uncle Mikey's multi engine 1/2A scale will stir up more interest there also.

All of this will help controline survive.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:06:23 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
 Good idea and great point Bob.

Any and all Control Line categories can be a lot of fun. That's why we do it right? Well at least most of us. :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Walter Hicks

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
Bob good point . I hear you.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
Dennis, in the KC area it used to be combat was the big entries.  Then Rat Race followed by carrier.   I still say the down fall of carrier is when they opened it up so people could fly all three classes.   I stayed with scale carrier for a long time.   Remember when we would go to a contest and enter more than one event?   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here