News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:39:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox Combat special  (Read 1829 times)

Offline richardm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Fox Combat special
« on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
To the collected wisdom

I have a 29 Combat special the high back plate version, the piston liner and wrist pin are u/s. .29 is stamped on the lug

I would really like to get the 29 stuff I imagine they are less common, I have 36 p/l but not the right head button.....i would need gasket and pin clips regardless.

Where can I find parts, or can any one tell me how to make piston clips, I can muddle through the rest by making a gasket and head button.

Can any one enlighten me what the 29 version was intended for, I was of the impression that they were all 36's
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fox Combat special
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 01:58:03 AM »
Perhaps free flight or one of the B-speed events?
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
Maybe for the AMA team racing which used B class
29? Think Veco Red Skin
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
Hello richardm, for spare parts try MECOA at the link below. I heard they bought up much of the Fox factory inventory.

https://www.mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts_fox.asp?id=350

Also heard that two dumpsters full of Fox spare parts went straight to the garbage dump in Fort Smith; apparently there were no buyers-

Sometimes parts come up for sale on the MECOA forum:

http://www.modelengine.org/phpbb4/index.php

You can also post a "want to buy" ad in the classified section here.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
The clips for the wrist pin aren't too hard to make. Personally have not made any for a Fox, but some for Super Tigres. I can only guess that they're very similar. The critical thing is getting wire the correct size, and having a small pair of forceps and wire cutters. I used solid flying wire, probably leftover Stanzel monoline stuff. You'll need to measure an existing clip and then scout out some wire the right size. Typical hobby shop "music wire" would be fine if they have a size small enough...but that's doubtful.   

My method was to start at the straight "handle" of the correct length and bending a 90 deg., then bending the semi-circle around the forceps. Small diagonal wire cutters are needed to clip the second end cleanly and to the correct length. Cleaning gunk out of the groove in the piston is important. When installing and removing, those forceps are essential. Lock them onto the straight piece when removing and installing, so they don't go zinging off into the shop's dark crevices.    D>K  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »
You can also cut small sections from a coil spring if you can find the right coil size and wire diameter.

Offline richardm

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the info about clips, I was going to make a mandrel to form them around, but maybe not now, I have one I can measure so future project #^
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
             Prior to the demise of Fox, I was in search of similar parts. Fox claimed that they didn't have any rods, piston or liners. Mainly just screw sets and gaskets.  I had to purchase a .36 head button and have it turned down to fit the .29 liner. I also had it hemi'd out in a double bubble configuration. Mine was taking out a plug a flight. I made the head similar to the MK VI engines which used the double.  I finally settled on Mccoy MC-9 plugs as these would hold up. Installing the clips inside a clear plastic bag allows you to retain the clip if it decides to take off.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
Might have parts for that   TS

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
http://www.flyinglines.org/rileywooten.pdf

SPLINTER SS360;  High aspect ratio Fast combat plans by Bill Netzeband. 50" span, 360 sq.in. 1967

Offline richardm

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Hi Mathew

It is a MK IV nasty schnuerle thing, lots of ball bearings, nearly ready to annoy the neighbors.

I am considering

http://www.controllineplans.com/Images/Splinter-fastweb.jpg

But would do spruce spars and a D box

Bit of a favorite

Richard Mc Fadden

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Yea , I shoulda putit here : https://stunthanger.com/smf/combat/1980-mk-iv-fox-36-combat-special-what-to-build/ But w t h .

I printed it A3 and got 9 mm = 1 in .  :-X snipped ribs A3 & gottem spot on .

4 in rib spacing , 7 1/3 finished chord , 5 in gap aft . etc . Halfway between my Mosquito & Whirlwind wings ,  S?P .

Spars are 1/4 x 3/8 with the doubler thru center , on the plan . Suppose youve got it Full Size ??

the liddle Splinter construction notes'd have to be almost relevant . Think that had spruce spars .
Funny , had pulled out the Combat Plans the other night , looking at the moulded L E sheeted
swept tip thing .
Kysten won the NZ Nats with a Splinter with OS 19 , centuries ago .
At TeKuiti,
His slowed on the bell as the bladder cut & the plane was where the streamer was going to be .  >:D :-X :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:23:49 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline richardm

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
Hi Mathew

Ah yes, Alan, here he is Tokoroa @ 1973 G20/15 diesel

I built a home made copy of a splinter with an OS 19 on pressure, then used G20/15 diesels in Fireflys on a pacifier, both projects because people told me it would not work ;D

The good old days

Found a piece of paper marked 48 Grande in my plans box, alas faded to nothing
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:16:03 PM by richardm »
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
Hi Mathew

It is a MK IV nasty schnuerle thing, lots of ball bearings, nearly ready to annoy the neighbors.

I am considering

http://www.controllineplans.com/Images/Splinter-fastweb.jpg

But would do spruce spars and a D box

Bit of a favorite

Hi Richard, please chose a design with more wing area. The Fox mkIV is a lot heavier

than the engines normally used in Fast Combat in the late 1960's.  Look at John Jo's

Super Voodoo and Master Killer.  Very high aspect ratio Combat models(Splinter) can do rather

funny antics when they fly through their own wake.  Also, forget any Combat design that

uses a diamond airfoil.....I'm referring to the Demon....

Best of luck; Tony G

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here