News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox. 35 Hi Zoot Crankshaft  (Read 823 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox. 35 Hi Zoot Crankshaft
« on: September 09, 2022, 10:15:51 PM »
   I have one of these, and not sure of when Randy started making these, before or after the availability of ABC set ups. This leads to the question, where these intended for stock pistons or for aluminum pistons. Just curious, as I can do either with it.
  Thanks in advance,
  DAn McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox. 35 Hi Zoot Crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 06:17:25 AM »
Dan,
Without my doing research what did these crankshafts do? I have a friend that sent an Anniversary Fox 35 to Randy years back for rework is this related?
Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 07:33:33 AM »
Dan,
Without my doing research what did these crankshafts do? I have a friend that sent an Anniversary Fox 35 to Randy years back for rework is this related?
Steve

The crank shaft makes the piston go up and down!! But if you have been running Foxes for any length of time, or read any good amount of information about them you know that the stock crank shaft is less than perfect. It's not balanced very well and this is the main cause of the vibration that Fox.35s are known for. Fox.35s have nee known to break crankshafts also. One of our club members has one on a Barnstormer, and to balance the model he put one of those brass heavy hubs on it and has been running it that way for quite a while. A few weeks ago, he was getting ready to put up a flight, I was holding the model with the engine running, and just before he gave the launch signal, the prop and bulk of the cranks shaft came flying out of the engine! It broke right where the main shaft meets the disc for the counter weights and crank pin. This is the main reason you should not use those heavy hubs on a Fox over an extended period!  Randy's shafts are more precise, better balanced and heat treated. What I would like to know is if he made these to accommodate the stock iron piston, or the aluminum piston of an ABC combination. It's almost impossible to get a perfect balance on any single cylinder engine, but helps to get as close as you can get it. A smoother running engine is a better engine. I have had this crank for quite a while and I think it's time to quit saving it and use it!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »
Thanks Dan, "the crankshaft makes the piston go up and down"...we learn something new everyday. LOL.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »
Dan,
I asked this same question a while back and Randy said it works with either.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
Dan,

Best,    DennisT
Do you mean it will go down and up as well as up and down? LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 03:40:51 PM »
Dan,

Best,    DennisT

I would almost accept that as an answer, but not until I get a chance to weigh both types of pistons. It's almost like saying a shoe will work with either foot, but it will most certainly fit one foot better than the other!  My guess is that he intended for it to be used as a replacement for stock cranks on stock engines. I would have to wonder if using it on an ABC set up would make the vibration pendulum swing the other way. The stock crank was too light on the counterweight for the iron piston, and if he addressed that, would it now be too heavy for the aluminum piston??? That is the question, I think It would certainly make the piston go up and down, but which one would it work best with??
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 05:27:11 PM »
 n1 Nah, it's the piston that makes the crank go round and round!  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »
Dan,
There have been several discussions on this in the engine section. I never got the final answer about needing to reduce the counterweight with the ABC setup. The responses I got seemed to indicate that the strength of the crank and straightness were more important than the balance at stunt rpm. I did ask directly about the need to reduce it and we'll see if Randy or others anwser.

Best,    DennisT 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here