News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ford Tri Motor  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ford Tri Motor
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:29:44 AM »
Not sure if this is the best location, I'm trying to find the plans for a control line Ford Tri Motor. As an early teen in the early sixties a friend was building a FTM, I believe it was from a kit. It had sheeted wings that came off at the outboard motors. The total span had to be around 70". He planned a throttled 40 size motor with two fixed 15's. We built and flew a number of planes together along with several other people. Around the late sixties I moved away and after 40 years later I have made contact with my old friend to find he completed the FTM but never flew it, he sold it to an estate buyer and thinks it's in some restaurant in NYC, we lived in upstate NY at the time.
I plan to go back to the area this summer to visit him, he's 93 and lives in an assisted living facility. I plan to take him out flying and I'd like to give him a copy of the plans if I can locate them.
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ford Tri Motor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
This one, from Outerzone?  78" span, for a 60 and two 049s, with detachable outer panels.  It's for RC, but would be simple to change over to CL.  For that matter, it'd be simple to change it over to a 40 and two 15's.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
At 78 inch span for Control Line I would think three 40's would be more like it.  That and very strong arms and a weight belt and someone else to hold on to your belt.... HB~> HB~> HB~>   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
This could be it but I don't recall it being an RC conversion. Couldn't have been very many CL Ford Tri Motor kits back then.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
That plan is from a 1974 construction article. Not a kit, not early 1960's.  :-\

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
Any suggestions where I could go and look?

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:20:48 AM »
For what it's worth...regarding the corrugated aluminum skins, way back in the '70's or so, a crazy man named Fulton Hungerford designed and built a rubber powered indoor scale model Ford Tri-motor. I don't have reference material on it anymore, but know it actually had the corrugated skins, which were molded in sheets and sprayed aluminum dope before application. The skins were built up spray lacquer or something of the sort, IIRC. I'm pretty sure all three propellers were powered, with rubber motors in the main fuselage and maybe going down the inside of the wing, span-wise. It was well covered in the NFFS Digest, and somebody may be able to dig up the articles about it. Right now, I can't recall for sure how big they were, but thinking maybe 27" span, and shockingly light. Pretty sure he made more than one.  :o  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:27 AM »
Take at look on http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/,  Do a search for trimotor.  There is a plan for the 34" Ford Trimotor from Sterling which was for either FF, RC, or CL.  Might be the one you are referring to. In any case, there are a few to choose from.  Need to register as a member. Nice guys, nice site from the UK

George Albo
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
For what it's worth...regarding the corrugated aluminum skins, way back in the '70's or so, a crazy man named Fulton Hungerford designed and built a rubber powered indoor scale model Ford Tri-motor. I don't have reference material on it anymore, but know it actually had the corrugated skins, which were molded in sheets and sprayed aluminum dope before application. The skins were built up spray lacquer or something of the sort, IIRC. I'm pretty sure all three propellers were powered, with rubber motors in the main fuselage and maybe going down the inside of the wing, span-wise. It was well covered in the NFFS Digest, and somebody may be able to dig up the articles about it. Right now, I can't recall for sure how big they were, but thinking maybe 27" span, and shockingly light. Pretty sure he made more than one.  :o  Steve

There was such a model on display at Dick Sherman's New Hampshire model museum. John Brodak bought the collection when Dick passed so it could be packed away in John's warehouse.

Ara

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
Hi Steve, I believe Mechanic Illustrated Magazine offered a Ford Tri Motor Plan in a control line version. I hope this helps. Michael
AMA 59633

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
Not sure if this plan was done by Walter Musicano, he did other control line plans for this magazine. Michael
AMA 59633

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
This plan was done by, I'm assuming Bill Winter. It has a 50" wingspan and is listed in AMA plans. Michael
AMA 59633

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »

Bill winter designed one for a single engine of 51 inch wingspan. It was published in MI and in Cal Smith on Model Building book. Here is a pic I hope it helps.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 Juan

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
One year at Oshkosh the had a display of all kinds of model aviation from static to flying. This beautiful Trimotor was displayed but I didn't get any info or specs.  Just out of curiosity I checked the N number on the model and it belongs to a 1928 Ford  4-AT-B (currently under restoration) registered to Kermit Weeks.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here