News:

• May 14, 2024, 03:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For what it’s worth  (Read 269 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
For what it’s worth
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »

I sometimes dig through old encyclopedias at second hand stores  ...

Hope the picture posts ok
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: For what it’s worth
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »
Thanks, Wayne...

Brings back memories. From the appearance of the models, it was before the glow plug era. From the clothing it was probably not high summer in the warm parts of the USA. Did you happen to note the date and source of the clip?

My first exposure to CL flying was at the legendary indoor hobby show at an Armory in New York City - approx 1948? Next was not long after, from the elevated platform of the Subway terminal in Coney Island, Brooklyn. Some guys were flying in a cleared area that had been Luna Park before it burned down during WW2 and not yet been rebuilt as anything.

Gasoline and auto engine oil -  unforgettable aroma!

\LOU
\BEST\LOU

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »
Compton’s pictorial encyclopedia; volume 1; 1951
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
I learned about control line about 1946. My folks use to take us on picnics to Swope Park in Kansas City. They use to have to drag me home. It was love at first sight. It was not until 1950 that I built my first Scientific hollow log powered by what else, but an OK Cub .049. I had received the engine with a Half Pint race car that same year. Does anybody remember those? I built my first gas tank from the sheet of brass they sent, but  did not have a soldering gun. I used my wood burning tool and melted plastic to assemble the tank. It worked great and never leaked.

Most of the guys flying in Swope Park were ex military. The war was over, and they were all at the park flying control line. To this day I still believe real control line planes have coils, condensers, and batteries. I have never forgotten the sights and smells. Probably why I have so many ignition engines and planes.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 03:36:38 PM »
"Every year 1000's of modelers compete in a great National event" Wow how'd you like to be the CD?
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here