News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam Sheets  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Foam Sheets
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
Got a pack of foam insulation sheets at home depot to fool around with. Mainly going to try and make some forms to mold balsa sheets for my fuselage. The sheets are only 3/4" thick so I have to make some glue joints. Don't have a hot wire was just going to shape them with wood working equipment. What can I use to glue foam to foam and still be fairly sandable? If I did hook up a hot wire is there a glue the wire could cut fairly easy?

Thanks,
MM

P.S. To all you who are furiously typing for me to "call Bob Hunt" please stand down, I'm having too much fun doing things myself (it's kind'a like a hobby for me).

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
Re: Foam Sheets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:40:38 PM »
Glue the foam sheets together with 3M 77 spray contact adhesive.  A light coat on each part works great.  Let dry a little bit and then press together.  You can hot-wire cut through the glue joint.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »
My local Home Depot only has white beaded foam, which I don't like sanding on.  I've never used the blue stuff -- if you can get it, you're lucky.

Craft stores have blocks of green polyurethane foam in the flower-arranging section; that's what I'm thinking of using in an upcoming project.  It's "crunchy", so it doesn't squirm away from a blade or the sandpaper when you go to cut it.  OTOH, you can't cut it with a hot wire.  Pick your poison...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
377 may or may not melt the  foam. A lot of us have been using  Glidden  " Gripper " primer.  Sounds crazy  but it  works!  Weight it down for 24 hours and your good to go.

The 3M purple 100 sandpaper works great on Home  Depot  white beaded foam. I've done it for years, no problems.

Tim Thompson

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
I have at least 10 bucks I've made for assorted projects from Michael's green foam stuff.  It sands real easy and stands up well.  One of the projects is the canopy on last years PA airplane, laid up in the matter you described, compound curves.  I use a layer of 1/32 balsa,  a layer of light silkspan or tissue and a layer of 1/16 balsa all stuck together with aliphatic resin.  It comes out real strong and light.  I've doing my turtle decks and nose pieces the same way.  It is rigid enough that I only have three formers on my airplane and no sagging, aka starving horse look.
Mike

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:21 AM »
377 may or may not melt the  foam.

3M 77 sprayed onto whit beaded styrofoam,  blue extruded styrofoam, pink extruded styrofoam, while EPP foam, or black EPP foam does not melt it.   I don't know about this "377" ???   Did you mean 3M 77??   It will not melt the foam.   Don't spray on enough to run or puddle, just a fine mist is all that is needed.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 05:34:57 AM »
Any foam you use for a mold needs a stiff spine to prevent bending during the wrapping.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
MM,

Post a photo, I'd be interested in seeing your fuselage at the stage it's in?

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
3M 77 sprayed onto whit beaded styrofoam,  blue extruded styrofoam, pink extruded styrofoam, while EPP foam, or black EPP foam does not melt it.   I don't know about this "377" ???   Did you mean 3M 77??   It will not melt the foam.   Don't spray on enough to run or puddle, just a fine mist is all that is needed.
That's because he's in California, as am I, and you're on another state.
The California version of 3m77 uses acetone as the carrier, other states use hexocyclene (?), which doesn't melt foam.
And, we have a lot more traffic...
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
look for 3m 78 if you can get it.  It's foam safe, but the non cali 3m 77 I have doesn't have acetone and doesn't melt foam
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
Yes I ment to say 3M77. Stupid phone.

But some 3M77's will melt foam and others won't despite having the same part number and color of can. Yes color matters,sometimes. At least here in California it does.

The Glidden Gripper primer does a much better job then the contact sprays do. The contact spays will come apart after a period of time, and I'm basing this on the old 3M77 spray that we had many years ago as well as the newer versions. The Gripper stays glued together.

Tim Thompson

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »
Two pieces of construction foam glued together with Gripper. No sign of it seperating

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »
Has anyone tried to sheet wings with it.

Steve

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
377 may or may not melt the  foam. A lot of us have been using  Glidden  " Gripper " primer.  Sounds crazy  but it  works!  Weight it down for 24 hours and your good to go.

The 3M purple 100 sandpaper works great on Home  Depot  white beaded foam. I've done it for years, no problems.

Tim Thompson

Tim-
Is that glidden product only in a brush or roll on product, no aerosol??
I'm always looking for new products, but I would think it may be hard to apply thinly.
Are you thinning it with something, and, are you just using it as a glue when wet, sticking the pieces together, and not like you would a contact cement like 3M77?

Thanks,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
I cut a wing out of gray structural foam. Worked pretty well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »
Has anyone tried to sheet wings with it.

Steve

Yes, I have sheeted wings with it (3M 77) and it works great on obechi or balsa sheeting.

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
It's a brush on or roll on.
I don't thin it.  It is wet like a glue. You must weight it down and allow 24 hours to  cure.

Don't think it would make a good glue for sheeting, since it requires weight or pressure to work properly. If you had a hollow wing ,it would come out  flat !

Tim

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
Thanks Tim.
R,
Chris
Regards,