News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying near DeKalb, Il  (Read 995 times)

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Flying near DeKalb, Il
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »
Anyone know of any flying fields west of Chicago, near DeKalb? I received a snail mail from a fellow near there going the "retread" route.

First thing, we gotta get this guy on the forums. That snail mail stuff really seems strange! Well, there is no kb limit on pictures, about the only advantage.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Flying near DeKalb, Il
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:32:49 AM »
I know they hold contest's in Rockford and Aurora so there are places. The guy's in the know will chime in with details I'm sure. I'm about 2 hrs away in Moline if that's any help.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »
Back in the late 70's - early 80's Bill "Moose" Allen held a series of major control line contests in DeKalb.  I haven't heard of him in years, however.

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
I recently spoke with Mr. Allen and he is planning a comeback. He has a Cardinal and Vector under construction. Hopefully we will see him at the flying field this summer.
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
Anyone know of any flying fields west of Chicago, near DeKalb? I received a snail mail from a fellow near there going the "retread" route.

First thing, we gotta get this guy on the forums. That snail mail stuff really seems strange! Well, there is no kb limit on pictures, about the only advantage.

Larry Fulwider

Our Treetown club does have access to the Aurora Airport in Sugar Grove, which is one (long!) exit away (SR 47) from DeKalb on I88. He should send Fred Krueger (our secretary) a PM --he is a member of this forum.

I'd like to establish some regular club Saturday/Sunday flying at Sugar Grove. Would be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:18:57 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:43 AM »
I recently spoke with Mr. Allen and he is planning a comeback. He has a Cardinal and Vector under construction. Hopefully we will see him at the flying field this summer.
DennisV

Thanks to all of you in the area who responded.   H^^

Yes, Bill Allen was indeed who contacted me. He mentioned no real close flying fields, and I didn't realize he had already been in touch with y'all.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »
The Decalb contest was one of the best held. Unfortunately when it was held at the first sight the school supervisor came by and spotted a young kid adding some liquid to the water fountain. It was a non modeler that just happened to be there. The sight was no longer available. It was a great loss. "Moose" is a great guy. Glad to hear he is coming back.  #^ #^

Offline Bruce Hautamaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
      I think I have Mr Allens GMA Custom os 35s. I had George go thru it and redo it about three years before he passed.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
Bill was at the Sig contest last summer soaking up all the info he could get!!   Really great guy!!
Jim 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here