• May 13, 2024, 05:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flaps  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Flaps
« on: March 10, 2006, 06:27:51 AM »
I have been studying several designs lately wanting to build my own plane.  The flaps on planes can be flat, tapered to a point at the trailing edge, constant cord, tapered, elliptical....  Does it matter as far as flight characteristics are concerned how the flaps are built, other than rigid, or shaped.  If I have a flap that is 3" at the root and 1" at the tip or a flap that is 2" at the root and 2" at the tip they have the same area.  Will they fly the same?  Do we shape the flaps purely for aesthetics?  I really would like to know.

Thanks,
Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:04:43 AM »
zuriel,

first off i clicked applaud and got you a kharma point. be sure to click applaud on me.

now to the flaps. i think sticking with the taper is certainly more appealing. i think if you did it either way you mention everything would be about the same.

for a scientific explanation with lots of foggy jargon we'll both have to wait for someone that talks that language to post a reply.
Frank Carlisle

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:27:08 AM »
From a layman's understanding of aerodynamics, a tapered flap gives the effect of washout as the flap is deflected, helping to delay tip stall. But as you indicate, it also gives less lift at the tip! Swings and roundabouts - that's what design is all about. All our designs are a compromise, and it's the search for the perfect compromise that makes this such a fascinating hobby.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »

Zuriel, Having read some :## :## things about this topic in maybe stunt news or on ssw the experts are saying just round over the trailing edge and go with it. The last 2-3 models that I have built I did this and can't see any difference in flight, plus it isn't as apt to warp either.....
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
Oh
Zuriel what a can of worms. There are so many answers, and how many of us fly good enough or trim good enough to tell the difference. Do a good study of this and and give us a report. Ha Ha Happy new year Zuriel  :) #^
Joe Gilbert

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here